Best Day 3 Picks From Each Draft Over 5 Years

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So everyone is getting in the mindset of the draft coming...let's do a brief exercise and re-visit the last five drafts and touch on the best Day 3 picks in each. Many folks grossly undervalue the Day 3 picks...let's see just what we got:

2016 - Picks Were: BLAKE MARTINEZ, DEAN LOWRY, TREVOR DAVIS, KYLE MURPHY

To me at least this is easily Blake Martinez. He led the team in tackles his first year as a starter (second in the league) and was in the top four in total (comb) tackles 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. For a Day 3 LB - he is easily an NFL starter in the league, and I suspect will be for a while longer. Saw a second contract in the league, which is competition in Lowry did as well and Davis has been a serviceable guy in the NFL. Solid Day 3 overall in 2016, but Blake clearly takes the cake.

2017 - Picks Were: BIEGEL, JAMAAL WILLIAMS, DEANGELO YANCEY, AARON JONES, KOFI AMICHIA, DEVANTE MAYS, MALACHI DUPRE

Ah yes, the year of many skill position darts thrown....two hit...Jones however is the clear winner here. A rare breed of RB was found in the 5th round and is easily on EVERYONE's top 10 list, and would crack a ton of Top5 present I bet too. An absolute STEAL...and arguably Jamaal was as well in the 4th...but dang after an efficient 2016 Day 3....2017 across the board was rough, but where it hit, it hit BOMBS.

2018 - Picks were: JMON MOORE, COLE MADISON, JK SCOTT, MVS, EQSB, JAMES LOONEY, HUNTER BRADLEY, KENDALL DONNERSON

This one isn't hard for me at all, MVS. The dude has only been one of the purest deep threats (albeit with drop issues) in the league. YPC is video game worthy and in 2020 down the stretch of last half dozen games his growth was clearly seen by even his critiques. Definitely thrust into too big of a role early in his career, but coming into his own. The others....two serviceable special teamers and two guys fighting to prove they deserve a future (Looney and EQSB) still...not a great Day 3, arguably more realistic though, guys that see their whole rookie contract out as depth, with some having a chance of a future

2019 - Picks were: KEKE, HOLLMAN, DEXTER WILLIAMS, TY SUMMERS

ATM and what I think everyone will say even in two years is Keke. He has truly exploded since being drafted, and is a little more than I think even some of his draft day fanboys thought he would be. Solid above average Day 3 with all of them still on the team, albeit one (Williams) treading water barely to stay afloat.

2020 - Picks were: KAMAL, RUNYAN, HANSON, STEPANIAK, SCOTT, GARVIN

Arguably all save the middle two showed at times when called on why Green Bay drafted them. ATM, I gotta say Runyan showed the most value and provided the best assistance holding down reserve spots along the line for us. Projection; Kamal and Scott both could have a lot to say as they mature in their play.

Anyone got one or multiple they'd change?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, not really a lot to choose from imo except 2017 and I don't know about last year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, not really a lot to choose from imo except 2017 and I don't know about last year.

Top 4 tackler for four straight years out of a day 3, one could argue he will have the most complete NFL career than even Jones. Not at all saying he is a better Day 3 pick, but truly for day 3 the last 5 years have been very solid really. To have that many of them not just see the end of their rookie contract but many holding a second contract in the league is impressive, atleast to me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Martin last year. Missed a lot of time with injury so hard to put him above anyone else, but he's about the only one I would change over what you put.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top 4 tackler for four straight years out of a day 3, one could argue he will have the most complete NFL career than even Jones. Not at all saying he is a better Day 3 pick, but truly for day 3 the last 5 years have been very solid really. To have that many of them not just see the end of their rookie contract but many holding a second contract in the league is impressive, atleast to me.
I guess you are talking of Martinez. I am glad he is not on our team and really don't think he was good no matter how many tackles he had. I like Barnes though (maybe should be on the list) and am looking forward to him improving.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you are talking of Martinez. I am glad he is not on our team and really don't think he was good no matter how many tackles he had. I like Barnes though (maybe should be on the list) and am looking forward to him improving.

My statement is not a defense of us having made a mistake not resigning him at all.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My statement is not a defense of us having made a mistake not resigning him at all.

So not sure about your point if your not saying he is a good player. We could have a bunch of starters for years that were drafted on the 3rd day, a lot of teams could, but that does not automatically make that a successful draft. They might be starting because a team is looking to go after a different position and think they can get by with the guy they have, like maybe what they are doing with Redmond.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So not sure about your point if your not saying he is a good player. We could have a bunch of starters for years that were drafted on the 3rd day, a lot of teams could, but that does not automatically make that a successful draft. They might be starting because a team is looking to go after a different position and think they can get by with the guy they have, like maybe what they are doing with Redmond.

Saying he is a good player is not me saying we should have kept him? Linsley is an all pro center and I understand and would have let him walk for fiscal reasons just as I did for Martinez. You get a guy that produced like Martinez, signed a starters salary for another team and most definitely will play in the league as a starter for another 2-4 years is a good player. Not great, sure, wouldn't say that because Martinez doesn't fit that.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez was a plus Day 3 pick for all of the reasons you mentioned plus he brought back a compensatory pick.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying he is a good player is not me saying we should have kept him? Linsley is an all pro center and I understand and would have let him walk for fiscal reasons just as I did for Martinez. You get a guy that produced like Martinez, signed a starters salary for another team and most definitely will play in the league as a starter for another 2-4 years is a good player. Not great, sure, wouldn't say that because Martinez doesn't fit that.
Yeah, there are sometimes players that happen to be respected in the league and that have good stats, that I just don't want on my team. Martinez was one like that. We have had several linebackers in the past that have fit in that category for me. I liked last year the way Linsley was getting to the 2 level. I would say more than in the past. We will have to see if we skip a beat there. I really don't have a clue who will be doing what on the interior. But I definitely want to see a tackle taken high.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the real problem is not matching up a Martinez or AJ Hawk with a playmaker. Yes, Hawk should have been one but who cares what the draft position or Mel Kiper says. Both were good tackling machines and relatively sound unless they had to cover. A playmaker would have been a nice compliment for either.

D

Deleted member 6794

Martinez, Jones and MVS haven't only been productive players for the Packers but league wide were among the best day three picks of their respective class.

Aside of them the team hasn't yet a lot of success in rounds four to seven but that is true for most teams around the league.

Members online

Latest posts