Preseason game 3 - at Denver

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Clinton-Dix was held out of the Denver game because Thompson was working a deal to trade him. Just kidding.
Funny as that sounds on the surface, the Packers appear to have decent depth at S. If they could significantly improve at another position of need by trading Dix, I wouldn't be opposed to it. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Funny as that sounds on the surface, the Packers appear to have decent depth at S. If they could significantly improve at another position of need by trading Dix, I wouldn't be opposed to it. ;)
Yeah, I was kidding that Thompson would contemplate it, not that it doesn't have some merit. Regardless, it's a little late in the game for any "blockbuster" trade, if this would qualify. Wheeling and dealing this close to the opener with such a short period to acclimate a player to a new system makes the idea prohibitive. There is one exception, a GM who will deal at any time to fill a need, even mid-season. Does New England need a safety? ;)

Reaction score
I would be. While I'm not trying to draw an equivalency here, we saw with Woodson on the team what a top tier SS can do for our secondary, especially when we have a solid group around them. HHCD has a long way to go, but he is still trending upwards. I'd wait till we actually had that solid group before looking to part any of it out, so that we could see where our depth actually lies. Further, with the introduction of Nitro it may come to pass that instead of having a dearth we have merely just enough safety talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, I was kidding that Thompson would contemplate it, not that it doesn't have some merit. Regardless, it's a little late in the game for any "blockbuster" trade, if this would qualify. Wheeling and dealing this close to the opener with such a short period to acclimate a player to a new system makes the idea prohibitive. There is one exception, a GM who will deal at any time to fill a need, even mid-season. Does New England need a safety? ;)

It does have the smell of a "Belichickesque move" all over it, both sides.

Ha-Ha.....I think one poster took offense to the idea :rolleyes: . I like Dix and I think he has a bright future, but also a big contract on the horizon (end of next year). If someone told me we would be fine with Burnett, Jones, Evans and Brice and could improve significantly at another position of greater need, I'm all ears.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Trade Burnett instead.
A better option than a red X ;) But I am guessing his trade value is quite a bit lower, 4 years older and his contract is up at the end of the year.

As HRE stated, neither is probably getting traded, so just food for thought. S appears to be a solid position for the Packers and if they can trade one of them away (now or in the future) to improve the team, at least they have some options and trade bait.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just like Dix too much. But you are probably right about Burnett. Although he was in the pro bowl and a trade could be contingent on signing a contract with the new team.

H

HardRightEdge

If someone told me we would be fine with Burnett, Jones, Evans and Brice and could improve significantly at another position of greater need, I'm all ears.
I'd tell you that. ;) I happen to believe Clinton-Dix is overrated as a FS. SS would be his best position.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know if I should laugh or be angry when I saw Hundley get smashed to the ground by his own Offensive linemen on the last play....

The 2nd string O-Line was a bit crap, but all through Hundley's pocket awareness needs lots of improvement. He's just not mobile enough to scramble and extend plays.

Or maybe, I'm just spoiled by watching Rodgers do that in and out and gotten used to it. :sneaky:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2nd string O-Line was a bit crap, but all through Hundley's pocket awareness needs lots of improvement. He's just not mobile enough to scramble and extend plays.

Or maybe, I'm just spoiled by watching Rodgers do that in and out and gotten used to it. :sneaky:
I'm not sure mobility is his problem. He seems to have the physical skills, but I'm beginning to think he lacks that X factor you see with good NFL quarterbacks. Hundley seems to be trying to hard to "stay within the system"... I think the better QBs are willing and know when to take a chance. I have seen more of that from Callahan and Hill. However, Hundley is in a different position than they are. He is the de facto backup and wants to protect that role, while Callahan and Hill need to be flashy in hopes of making any team..

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding the run defense. I kept thinking if the defense keeps playing like this, Lacy is going to run all over us.

I thought Daniels and Clark did a very good job and individual players in the secondary had some good plays but as a whole, the defense still makes me nervous.:cautious:

H

HardRightEdge

Randall had tight coverage most of the night. One pass I remember he was playing off and seemed a tad late in his switch to the receiver coming inside, but heck if I know what everyone's responsibility was on that play, but overall, he looked like the guy I remember from rookie season.
Yeah, he started on the perimeter against Denver, suggesting the Packers lean that way for week 1.

Denver went after him repeatedly in the opening couple possessions while leaving King alone. While Randall did a fine job in not giving up separation, he still has trouble getting his head around on the downfield throw. It was tight coverage with a missing technique element. That makes him vulnerable if he can't get a read on the receivers' eyes.

Randall's rookie season was a mixed bag. The first 4 games or so opponents just didn't throw at him much, kinda where King has been this preseason. That may have been a case of opponents wanting to get him on NFL tape first to spot vulnerabilities. It's as though Randall's game saving route jump at the goal line against the Chargers was the last hurrah. After that there was a meaningful performance decline.

Anyway, whatever technique faults remain, he sure looked better against Denver than where he left off last season, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Any significance about Hundley playing almost the whole game ?
Yeah, to see how he performs in come-from-behind mode.

There are elements of the draft scouting report that still pertain. Actually all of them, but a couple of critical note.

I believe he has below average NFL arm strength. In the short passing game his accuracy makes up for it. Still, I get nervous when he throws an out to the far side of the field. That ball hangs out there a little too long.

The arm strength and inconsistency in his deep ball accuracy remain a liability in the downfield passing game.

That's not say he wouldn't be an upgrade over a handful of poor NFL starters (Gabbert for example as commented on during the broadcast) or some higher pick #2 backup/developmental QBs. Paxton Lynch, for example, looked pretty clueless out there.

H

HardRightEdge

I just got around to watching the 4th. quarter of the Denver game. I know, it's like watching the East-West Shrine Game.

One guy that stood out in that quarter was Josh Jones. On one play he blitzed off the left and tackled the running back for no gain from the backside. On the next play he blitzed off the right, threw a nifty stutter step on the blocker, buzzed right by him, and chased the QB out of the pocket. In the next possession, he came up and took down a running back for no gain.

Flashy stuff. Let's see if he can repeat that against starter caliber guys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like everything I have seen and heard about Josh Jones, I think he is going to turnout to be a great pick. He wasn't as big as I thought he looked in college tape, but that might be because everyone else in the Pros are bigger.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree on not trading away players the Packers are currently projecting to play a lot of downs. Barring injuries, I think the starting lineup on both offense and defense are pretty well set. I was referring more to guys like Richard Rodgers, Allison, Marwin Evans. Basically, guys with some value to the Packers as well as other teams, but at positions of quality depth. But I don't see TT making player trades and if improvement in depth is going to happen, it's going to come through signing FA's like Brooks.

I definitely would prefer to hold on to Rodgers, Allison and Evans while improving positions of need with veterans available in free agency.

There's absolutely no way the Packers should even think about trading Clinton-Dix. While the team seems to have quality depth at safety the backups are extremely inexperienced having combined to play a total of only 279 snaps in the league so far. It took Thompson several years to finally stabilize the position by drafting HHCD, there´s no reason to mess with it a week before the start of the season.

That's not say he wouldn't be an upgrade over a handful of poor NFL starters (Gabbert for example as commented on during the broadcast) or some higher pick #2 backup/developmental QBs.

Gabbert currently is the Cardinals third string quarterback though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd tell you that. ;) I happen to believe Clinton-Dix is overrated as a FS. SS would be his best position.

Both Burnett and dix are best suited for the ss position. But the packers use more of an interchangeable safeties philosophy. So neither is a traditional fs or as. Trading dix right now would be like trading Nick Collins before his 4th season, bad move as it usually takes safeties in green bay til there 4th season to really break out. Collins turned into an all pro with 7 picks and 15 passes defensed. You don't trade young all pro players and thats,where it seems dix is headed. I'm not saying he's nick collins they're different players but he was a 2nd team all pro in 2016 and there's no reason to think anyone is gonna trade you an ascending all pro for him, let alone one that happens to be at a position of need.

H

HardRightEdge

Both Burnett and dix are best suited for the ss position. But the packers use more of an interchangeable safeties philosophy. So neither is a traditional fs or as. Trading dix right now would be like trading Nick Collins before his 4th season, bad move as it usually takes safeties in green bay til there 4th season to really break out. Collins turned into an all pro with 7 picks and 15 passes defensed. You don't trade young all pro players and thats,where it seems dix is headed. I'm not saying he's nick collins they're different players but he was a 2nd team all pro in 2016 and there's no reason to think anyone is gonna trade you an ascending all pro for him, let alone one that happens to be at a position of need.
"But the packers use more of an interchangeable safeties philosophy."

I'm well aware. It's all part of "Capers Confusion" which confuses his own less experienced players as often as the opponent. He'll start one safety up, the other back, then swat 'em pre-snap. That's fine against inexperienced or lousy QBs. Otherwise, it's a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing or worse. And it's beating good QBs in the playoffs we're concerned about.

Of course Clinton-Dix would not be traded. Players need experience in this system to avoid getting confused. A guy can flash all he wants, but a couple of big mistakes can cost a game. I'm reminded of all the end zone bickering a few years back over who blew the coverage when M.D. Jennings was back there. As the years tick by and experience is accumulated, mistakes are less frequent.

Capers and "draft and develop" is a mismatch. Of course, his stuff is idiosyncratic so a vet FA might be starting from square one if he's not Julius Peppers.

Capers also alternates his safeties low/high out of the huddle for no apparent reason other than to spread around the wear and tear or for on-the-job training for position flexibility. You'd like to think it's for match-ups, but the skill sets are so similar its hard to see the point.

I would just as soon see Capers saddled with a true ball hawking free safety where he'd forced to quit this stuff.

Trade Capers!