Preseason Game #2: Packers at Ravens

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched the Baltimore game and I thought Kizer looked better than at any time I have seen him. He has a really nice touch on the screen passes.
Kizer can go flip burgers. We'd be lucky to go 4-12 with that guy.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Horrible play by the Packers and an insufferable broadcast. I am now starting to doubt MLF. The Packers were not prepared or ready to play football. Kizer sucks. Boyle sucks and Rodgers is building a history of injuries, yes I know it is the preseason.
We have to have patience, they're installing a new offense, we haven't even seen Rodgers yet, and we have some young players that will take time to develop.
I'll give them a month into the regular season :)

I was optimistic the last couple of years though, I'm not getting my hopes up now until they show me something.

Reaction score
I’m not the least bit concerned about a preseason score. I hope everyone thinks we suck bad, so when #12 gets in the there.... they get caught off guard. He wouldn’t of missed half of those throws.

I will say S #32 (Tyson?) got absolutely humiliated multiple times, so much so I had to look up his jersey number, he took a major step backwards.

Dexter Williams looks good overall, there some poor blocking for him and he still fights for 1 1/2 yards. When we talk about play speed in pads, many guys play slower than their clocked times.. yet He plays faster in pads. What a steal in the draft, he plays like you’d expect from a 3Rd rounder.

That bubble area WR group is impressive. I can’t ever remember so many different guys with varying skill sets. We have 4 guys good enough to fit a #4 role. Kumerow looks like a found, polished gem that we thought was gypsum.

I thought Shepherd looked like a natural on returns.

I thought turnovers and self committed errors killed us. That leading with the helmet on review was a exaggeration call.. he hit shoulder to shoulder on replay and barely touched his helmet. If our guys helmet was angled any further to 90 degrees we would’ve had to call s chiropractor

PS. Don’t try to hurdle Amos!

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to overreact on preseason games.

The offense sputtered most of the time but you have to remember that AFC North teams historically have more than capable defenses and the Ravens are DEEP at most positions on defense. So I chalk some of that up to the fact that there was a bit of a talent deficit to overcome.

Despite said deficit, I think the OL did an admirable job based on what they were up against.

Kizer was Kizer. Boyle looked ok but was inconsistent at times. I wished Wilkins had gotten in 2 drives.

D. Williams looks like an NFL starting RB, and I'm disappointed he didn't get more reps. I expect J. Williams to be cut or released, and if Aaron Jones can't stay healthy he could be relegated to a change of pace back by mid season. Darrin Hall and Tre Carson can fight it out for the #3 job.

If you ask me Lazard and Shepherd are in a dead heat to replace J'Mon Moore, I know he caught a TD pass last week but he's still too inconsistent with the drops. I saw what I wanted to see from Kumerow and Tonyan.

I have complete confidence in the secondary, for the guys who I know will be out there when the games matter. The front seven is the area of concern. We gave up 171 yards on the ground, and to me the scapegoats are the LBs. I'd like to see Randy Ramsey get some more reps in a rotation with Bolton, Summers, and Gilbert(who was MIA half the game).

J.K. Scott - Pro Bowl. You heard it here first.

We surrendered 67 yards on 9 penalties, but I think with the starters that goes away, but let's hopefully clean that up next week.

All in all, you want to win every game but this is the preseason. I think MLF was in full evaluation mode which is why you saw more of certain players and less of others. I expect the game against the Raiders to be a "depth chart" game where we'll see the ones, twos, and threes, as complete units with minute substitutions in between for guys on the bubble.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know this is a Packer forum, BUT Always go with a winner.

Watch their smoke when they take it all the way to the Super Bowl this year.

So keep this post and refer back to it in 2020 when I can say again: "I told you so."

I don't expect the Packers to win the Super Bowl this season but would never ever think about rooting for another team.

I am now starting to doubt MLF.

I am not impressed with MLF's offense up to this point.

It might be smart to wait until Rodgers has at least taken a single snap to evaluate MLF's offense.

Really? You don't think most of the garbage we saw yesterday is going to carry over to the regular season? I do.

Most of the players that lined up for the majority of the snaps won't be on the roster during the regular season. Therefore I'm not worried about the overall performance against the Ravens.

D. Williams looks like an NFL starting RB, and I'm disappointed he didn't get more reps. I expect J. Williams to be cut or released, and if Aaron Jones can't stay healthy he could be relegated to a change of pace back by mid season. Darrin Hall and Tre Carson can fight it out for the #3 job.

Jones is definitely the most talented running back on the roster and will get the majority of the carries as long as he's able to line up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I know this is a Packer forum, BUT Always go with a winner.

Watch their smoke when they take it all the way to the Super Bowl this year.

So keep this post and refer back to it in 2020 when I can say again: "I told you so."

Seriously Dude?

If you only want to back a winner, then you might want to stay offline for the next 5-6 months, join the Post Super Bowl Forum of the SB winner each year. I am sure there are a lot of high fives, chest puffing, butt slaps and gloating going on in those forums by then.

If you are embarrassed by following a team that doesn't win the SB, then 31 teams are not going to be your cup of tea each year. Safe to say that you might want to buy 32 team jerseys, so you can slip on the winning jersey next February.

Reaction score
Seriously Dude?

If you only want to back a winner, then you might want to stay offline for the next 5-6 months, join the Post Super Bowl Forum of the SB winner each year. I am sure there are a lot of high fives, chest puffing, butt slaps and gloating going on in those forums by then.

If you are embarrassed by following a team that doesn't win the SB, then 31 teams are not going to be your cup of tea each year. Safe to say that you might want to buy 32 team jerseys, so you can slip on the winning jersey next February.
So true. What we are witnessing is a generation of so called “fans” that were told from toddler age that “everyone is a winner”. Now we’re seeing the effects of it not just in sports, but in the behavior (or lack thereof) of our society. The sad part is we can’t blame them, they were lied to.. and much of it was perpetuated by us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So true. What we are witnessing is a generation of so called “fans” that were told from toddler age that “everyone is a winner”. Now we’re seeing the effects of it not just in sports, but in the behavior (or lack thereof) of our society.

Agreed. I watch all the Packer games from start to finish, irregardless of them winning or losing. Yes, its awesome when they win it all, but I really don't expect them to, so if they do, its just icing on the fandom cake. Becoming a fan of a team, isn't just about the W's and L's, its about feeling like you are a part of the team. Gathering information about players, coaches, etc.

If I only wanted to watch "a guaranteed winner", I would just wait until the season is over, find out who won the Superbowl and then watch all their games for that season. How much fun would that be?

Reaction score
Agreed. I watch all the Packer games from start to finish, irregardless of them winning or losing. Yes, its awesome when they win it all, but I really don't expect them to, so if they do, its just icing on the fandom cake. Becoming a fan of a team, isn't just about the W's and L's, its about feeling like you are a part of the team. Gathering information about players, coaches, etc.

If I only wanted to watch "a guaranteed winner", I would just wait until the season is over, find out who won the Superbowl and then watch all their games for that season. How much fun would that be?
If we have another losing record I just might do that! :laugh:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is definitely the most talented running back on the roster and will get the majority of the carries as long as he's able to line up.

You hit the nail on the head, your best ability is your availability.....I can see D. Williams taking advantage of such an opportunity if he goes down. MLF's offense is built for a 1A/1B rotation anyways.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head, your best ability is your availability.....I can see D. Williams taking advantage of such an opportunity if he goes down. MLF's offense is built for a 1A/1B rotation anyways.
Pretty sure Boyle will be available all year. Hopefully not with us though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pretty sure Boyle will be available all year. Hopefully not with us though.

If the Packers truly see some potential in Boyle and there are no other QB's out there that could be better in the Packers opinion, I would be fine with him being on the PS, where he will continue to work and be of the most value to the Packers for the future. However, I don't think he is ready to actually play in regular season games, so no need to use a roster spot on him, IMO.

H

HardRightEdge

D. Williams looks like an NFL starting RB, and I'm disappointed he didn't get more reps.
I like what I've seen of Dexter Williams, more than Carson anyway. He's got some wiggle and it looks like he's got a better burst than Carson. I'd like to see him get more opening quarter reps with the first team.

Reaction score
Seriously Dude?

I guess you took my post to seriously about me picking a winner with the Chief's winning the super bowl.

I should explain it was just a opinion of mine for the coming season that I have and didn't mean to get anyone's
shorts in a knot.

I'll always be a Packer fan and wish them a winning season, but sometimes you have to state the obvious
even though people hate to admit it.

Here's another opinion of mine, "the Bears will be winning the division again this year" but let me point out,
that doesn't make the Packers complete losers either.

Keep this in mine: "Opinions are like @ss-holes, everybody has one."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers truly see some potential in Boyle and there are no other QB's out there that could be better in the Packers opinion, I would be fine with him being on the PS, where he will continue to work and be of the most value to the Packers for the future. However, I don't think he is ready to actually play in regular season games, so no need to use a roster spot on him, IMO.
It was just a joke about the best ability being availability. I just used Boyle because I think he is really bad. I don't even like his throwing motion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is it to early to jump the fan fence and cheer for Kansas City and Patrick Mahomes
to win it all this year?

I guess you took my post to seriously about me picking a winner with the Chief's winning the super bowl.

I should explain it was just a opinion of mine for the coming season that I have and didn't mean to get anyone's
shorts in a knot.

I'll always be a Packer fan and wish them a winning season, but sometimes you have to state the obvious
even though people hate to admit it.

Here's another opinion of mine, "the Bears will be winning the division again this year" but let me point out,
that doesn't make the Packers complete losers either.

Keep this in mine: "Opinions are like @ss-holes, everybody has one."

Back peddle and try to sell it anyway you want. It didn't sound like you were predicting a winner, you were talking about "jumping the fan fence" to become a fan of another team, a team who in your opinion is going to win it all. If you are really a Packer fan, that comes off as disingenuous and makes it sound like the only thing important to you is to appear to be a fan of a winner. If the Chiefs start faltering and the Packers are winning, where do you head to next?

Predicting the Bears to win the division isn't Nostradamus like, they are hands down the favorite to repeat. Having to say "that won't make the Packers complete losers", again doesn't strike me as something a Packer fan would say.

Thanks for pointing out my tagline and yes, opinions are cool, but actions can be more telling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It was just a joke about the best ability being availability. I just used Boyle because I think he is really bad. I don't even like his throwing motion.
Oh I agree with you on Boyle, I don't see a lot there, but the Packers themselves might. I trust if Boyle is retained by the Packers, it was because they see a lot more potential than you or I do.

My point was just the same old one that I have been making for years, Rodgers is THE QB. The Packers currently don't have a good enough backup for the 2019 season to makeup for the loss of him, so whether they keep Boyle, Wilkens or pick up another guy, it probably won't have much of a positive impact on this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason they should stash him on the PS. He should clear waivers. Carry two QBs into the regular season. At the same time, I’m unimpressed with Kizer. In his favor, he’s making fewer mistakes than last year (I think.....).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Allison had two 3rd down conversions out of the slot and would have had a third if the pass wasn't batted by a DL at the LOS.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure Boyle would clear waivers, allowing the Packers to stash him on the PS. He is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Kizer is not much better, but he’s the best of a motley group to be the backup. And let’s face it, without #12, this is another sub 500 team. Actually, it was WITH #12.......

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kizer has done better than many seem to want to give him credit for considering he's a back up. The complete lack of running game hasn't helped him look any better either. He's never going to command the respect that Rodgers does We'll likely never see another QB in any of our lifetime's playing for GB that plays that level. It's rare.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure Boyle would clear waivers, allowing the Packers to stash him on the PS. He is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Kizer is not much better, but he’s the best of a motley group to be the backup. And let’s face it, without #12, this is another sub 500 team. Actually, it was WITH #12.......

I think Kizer has done better than many seem to want to give him credit for considering he's a back up. The complete lack of running game hasn't helped him look any better either. He's never going to command the respect that Rodgers does We'll likely never see another QB in any of our lifetime's playing for GB that plays that level. It's rare.

I don't think there is much question that Kizer is the #2. However, I don't think he brings enough to the table if Rodgers goes down for too long.

Unless the Packers know something I don't, Boyle wouldn't be a loss, even if they can't stash him on the PS. About the only thing I see that you lose, his knowledge of the new offense. I'm actually more intrigued by Wilkins and his skill set, but just like Boyle, neither of them are game ready for the NFL.

Again, unless I am missing something, I would be fine with putting any young QB that the Packers are excited about on the PS as the #3. If Rodgers goes down, you sign a vet to backup Kizer. My time table for drafting Rodgers eventual replacement may have moved up a year and I could see it happening in the 2020 draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is much question that Kizer is the #2. However, I don't think he brings enough to the table if Rodgers goes down for too long.

Unless the Packers know something I don't, Boyle wouldn't be a loss, even if they can't stash him on the PS. About the only thing I see that you lose, his knowledge of the new offense. I'm actually more intrigued by Wilkins and his skill set, but just like Boyle, neither of them are game ready for the NFL.

Again, unless I am missing something, I would be fine with putting any young QB that the Packers are excited about on the PS as the #3. If Rodgers goes down, you sign a vet to backup Kizer. My time table for drafting Rodgers eventual replacement may have moved up a year and I could see it happening in the 2020 draft.
Sooner or later Gluten needs to think about drafting a real QB. It might be 2020. A lot will depend on how #12 looks this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we felt the time was now to draft a "real" QB, we just gave out a really really bad contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we felt the time was now to draft a "real" QB, we just gave out a really really bad contract.

Not really, I don't think you just want to push a rookie QB right into action, or even a second year guy if you don't have to. Look how long it took #12 to become the starter after he was drafted, his 4th year. He will be 36 in December and his current contract runs through the 2023 season, but has no dead cap after 2022. Depending on how he holds up this year and the opportunity/availability of his eventual replacement, I don't think 2020 draft is out of the question to start thinking about it.

Members online

Latest posts