Predictions - eve of 2017 FA, What WILL TT do.

Will you be disappointed by Ted in FA?

• Yes - He should really "do something" do anything

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Review what I had predicted back then. What I said then is in the black text:
These guys will be offered and brought back as they are most of the depth on the team or marginal starters already and all will be cheap. Whether they get replaced during camp is up to them:
WR Geronimo Allison (exclusive rights), 2-3 year deal One year RFA deal $540k
RB John Crockett (exclusive rights), wish he'd stay healthy for once. Heard of nothing with him
OLB Jayrone Elliott (restricted), 2-3 year prove it year one deal One year $1.6m deal $350k bonus
RB Don Jackson (exclusive rights), see Crockett One year RFA deal $540k
FB Joe Kerridge (exclusive rights), one year make the team deal One year RFA deal $540k
DT Christian Ringo (exclusive rights), 2-3 years One year RFA deal $540k
P Jacob Schum (exclusive rights), already offered I believe One year $615k
ILB Joe Thomas (exclusive rights) 2-3 years to let him continue to grow in the defense One year $615k
OLB Jordan Tripp (restricted). one year to make the team One year $690k
These are the big money guys:
OG TJ Lang Good bye - Bulaga type money after he is allowed to test the market if he comes back. 5 years $30m 10 guaranteed including 2 roster bonuses. Goodbye - 3 years Lions $28.5m $19m guaranteed
TE Jared Cook 4 years $35m 11 guaranteed if he doesn't get priced out of GB. Ertz / Clay sized contracts. Goodbye - 2 years Raiders $10.5m $5m guaranteed Higher demands and he was replaced by Bennett and Kendricks
DB Micah Hyde 3-4 years for $18m 10 guaranteed - not much lower than what Tramon and House left for. Goodbye - 5 years Bills $30.5m $14m guaranteed
OLB Nick Perry if he gives the hometown discount, 4 years $40m 16 guaranteed otherwise good bye. I expect someone else to offer him Cameron Jordan type money. 5 year $55m $20m guaranteed Resigned - 5 years $60m $18.5m guaranteed
OLB Julius Peppers Good bye Goodbye - 1 years Panthers $3.5m $1.65m guaranteed (Went back home)
OLB Datone Jones one year prove it deal for $4m. A little less than what Perry had. Goodbye - 1 year Vikings $3.75m $1.6m guaranteed <<this surprised me
RB Eddie Lacy I think someone else gives him a larger offer than Ted is willing to go. If back 1 year $3m. Goodbye - 1 year Seahawks $4.25m $2.9m guaranteed
RB Christine Michael Goodbye. Don't let the door hit you.
OL JC Tretter Another one priced out of GB. Not that TT can't afford him but if Linsley is around we don't need a high priced bench warmer. Esp with Spriggs OK at backup tackle. And I haven't seen Tretter at guard enough to pencil him in for Lang's spot. Goodbye - 3 years Browns $16.75m $6.5m guaranteed
OL Don Barclay Signed later in the process, depends on Tretter Lang and market prices. Lane Taylor type money - 2 years $4m with roster bonuses the only guaranteed money. 1 year $1.25m $150k signing bonus
Brett Goode More of the same type of money for 2 years.
As to others, I think he's going to get a Prince Amakamura / Captain Munnerlyn level DB for around the remainder of the Shields money. 3 years for $20m 8 guaranteed. <<Hasn't happened yet and not many options out there now warrant this money
If we lose Cook look for a Jordan Cameron / Jacob Tamme type signing for 2 years $6m later in the month. Especially if someone is cut by a team that "gets their guy." Bennett 3yrs, $21m $6.3m guar and Kendricks 2yrs, $4m, $1.2m guar Rumor has it Cook was looking for more than the Packers gave Bennett. After that he changed his tune but had closed the door on returning to GB.
Maybe another RB for what Starks was getting 2 years $3m signed next month. Jocquie Bell or Jacquizz Rodgers level.
Several 1st-2nd year OLB/DE edge players for extended camp tryouts on two year minimum salary deals.
Plus the usual camp fodder of 1st and 2nd year SFA's that weren't on rosters last season.
You seem to have a good handle on this. Very accurate predictions.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You seem to have a good handle on this. Very accurate predictions.
After all these years of watching Ted operating, he really doesn't change. The TEs and Datone were the only surprises to me. Most of the rest followed his MO. I still expect $10m more worth of FAs signed before OTAs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
After all these years of watching Ted operating, he really doesn't change. The TEs and Datone were the only surprises to me. Most of the rest followed his MO. I still expect $10m more worth of FAs signed before OTAs.
I also expect he'll sign another 10-12m worth of FA's but I think he is likely to drag it out longer than OTA's. I think they'll want to bring guys in maybe later than that and see how physically and mentally ready they are to play another season or two.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The WSJ wrote an article today about TT and Free Agency and used a line like "TT is once again ready to shop, just like the Kohl's bargain hunter he is armed with his 35% off coupon and shopping the merchandise that is already on sale". I said it at the beginning of the Free Agency and I will say it again, we hear the hype of signing big names every year, maybe it's us making most of that hype, but TT will never change. Whether you think that is a good thing or a bad thing, at least he's consistent and predictable and the only people who should be disappointed with that are those who think he will change and that disappointment should be in themselves for thinking it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The WSJ wrote an article today about TT and Free Agency and used a line like "TT is once again ready to shop, just like the Kohl's bargain hunter he is armed with his 35% off coupon, shopping the merchandise that is already on sale". I said it at the beginning of the Free Agency and I will say it again, we hear the hype of signing big names every year, maybe it's us making most of that hype, but TT will never change. Whether you think that is a good thing or a bad thing, at least he's consistent and predictable and the only people who should be disappointed with that are those who think he will change and that disappointment should be in themselves for thinking it.

While I agree that there was no reason to expect Thompson will change his MO trying the same approach that hasn't brought another Super Bowl to Titletown over and over again isn't the smart way to go. Murphy should have pulled the trigger and replaced TT this offseason but of course he won't change his course either.

The one thing I'm most afraid of is Rodgers getting tired of the front office's act at some point resulting in an ugly situation between the team and its franchise quarterback.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The one thing I'm most afraid of is Rodgers getting tired of the front office's act at some point resulting in an ugly situation between the team and its franchise quarterback.
Worries me every time I think about the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I mentioned that in a thread yesterday. The Packers success right now is almost fully dependent on Rodgers. If he gets hurt or decides in his mind that TT and the Packers aren't doing enough to help him and his level of play drops off, then the Packers can probably write off the season. The Packers reliance on one guy to carry the team is a lot of pressure on Rodgers and ultimately could create that tidal wave that creates sweeping changes and forces the Packers to basically start over.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mentioned that in a thread yesterday. The Packers success right now is almost fully dependent on Rodgers. If he gets hurt or decides in his mind that TT and the Packers aren't doing enough to help him and his level of play drops off, then the Packers can probably write off the season. The Packers reliance on one guy to carry the team is a lot of pressure on Rodgers and ultimately could create that tidal wave that creates sweeping changes and forces the Packers to basically start over.

I don't expect Rodgers to quit on the team during a season at all but it's possible he might want to play for a different franchise with a general manager providing him with more help to win another ring. The "all-in" comment after losing the NFCCG last season and Thompson mostly standing pat in free agency to address the team's biggest weakness once again make me a bit concerned about the situation moving forward.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't expect Rodgers to quit on the team during a season at all but it's possible he might want to play for a different franchise with a general manager providing him with more help to win another ring. The "all-in" comment after losing the NFCCG last season and Thompson mostly standing pat in free agency to address the team's biggest weakness once again make me a bit concerned about the situation moving forward.

I don't expect AR to ever quit either, but we have all seen him play frustrated and it isn't a pretty sight. The Packers O-line this year could be a big source of frustration for Rodgers, they are one starter down and an injury away from having the likes of Don Barclay and some very untested players trying to keep the heat off of AR. I am guessing AR is at home shaking his head as he watched Lang and Tretter walk away in FA and to this point, nobody signed to replace either of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't expect AR to ever quit either, but we have all seen him play frustrated and it isn't a pretty sight. The Packers O-line this year could be a big source of frustration for Rodgers, they are one starter down and an injury away from having the likes of Don Barclay and some very untested players trying to keep the heat off of AR. I am guessing AR is at home shaking his head as he watched Lang and Tretter walk away in FA and to this point, nobody signed to replace either of them.

I believe Rodgers understands that it was a smart business decision to let Lang and Tretter walk away in free agency. I don't expect him to support Thompson not improving the defense at all though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe Rodgers understands that it was a smart business decision to let Lang and Tretter walk away in free agency. I don't expect him to support Thompson not improving the defense at all though.
I think most of us and maybe AR see it as a smart business decision, but that feeling could change fast when the new O-Line doesn't perform at the same level as the one that has been protecting Rodgers and allowing him the ability and the time to do what he does best, improvise. In less than 1 year, the Packers have lost their 2 Pro Bowl guards and a very versatile backup. I'm not that confident that TT prepared for this by only drafting Spriggs (2nd round) and Murphy (7th), the only current non-starters on the roster that were drafted.

Having Bahk, Bulaga, Linsley and Taylor is definitely a plus as long as they stay healthy. Who mans the RG and back-up positions is yet to be determined or at least known by us fans.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think most of us and maybe AR see it as a smart business decision, but that feeling could change fast when the new O-Line doesn't perform at the same level as the one that has been protecting Rodgers and allowing him the ability and the time to do what he does best, improvise. In less than 1 year, the Packers have lost their 2 Pro Bowl guards and a very versatile backup. I'm not that confident that TT prepared for this by only drafting Spriggs (2nd round) and Murphy (7th), the only current non-starters on the roster that were drafted.

Having Bahk, Bulaga, Linsley and Taylor is definitely a plus as long as they stay healthy. Who mans the RG and back-up positions is yet to be determined or at least known by us fans.

I agree the Packers need to figure out who to start at right guard as well as add depth on the interior of the offensive line. It's possible that Thompson will have to add Lang's replacement either via the draft or free agency.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was Rodgers I'd probably be a little annoyed at this point as well, heck I could see a lot of offensive players being annoyed at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I was Rodgers I'd probably be a little annoyed at this point as well, heck I could see a lot of offensive players being annoyed at this point.
Especially given the fact that the draft for the past 5 years has been heavily focused on the defense, without much improvement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Two FA names I would like seeing being connected to the Packers is Jared Odrick (DT) and Elvis Dumervil (OLB). Both might provide some veteran experience and depth at 2 positions of need.

D

Deleted member 6794

Two FA names I would like seeing being connected to the Packers is Jared Odrick (DT) and Elvis Dumervil (OLB). Both might provide some veteran experience and depth at 2 positions of need.

I would be interested in the Packers signing Dumervil, not excited about Odrick at all though.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
and a very versatile backup.
Who would that be? Tretter? He was the back up center that missed by injury almost as many games as he played. I don't recall him playing either guard slot and taking only a few snaps at tackle. Maybe a game or two worth. Barclay has played almost every OL position, though I don't expect to EVER see him at tackle again. He was much better than abhorrent, at least competent, the last few games. And NO, I don't want Barclay to take Lang's spot. I hope Patrick or Murphy has developed enough or Ted sees a hole to fill closer to camp.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who would that be? Tretter? He was the back up center that missed by injury almost as many games as he played. I don't recall him playing either guard slot and taking only a few snaps at tackle. Maybe a game or two worth.

Tretter actually started at left tackle during the Packers wild card playoff win at Washington in 2015. There's no doubt he was a decent center and versatile backup.

Members online

Latest posts