Predictions - eve of 2017 FA, What WILL TT do.

Will you be disappointed by Ted in FA?

• Yes - He should really "do something" do anything

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't need to hear what Ted should do. I don't need to hear what you'd do if you were the GM. I want to know what you think Ted will do with his FAs and all the others available.
These guys will be offered and brought back as they are most of the depth on the team or marginal starters already and all will be cheap. Whether they get replaced during camp is up to them:
WR Geronimo Allison (exclusive rights), 2-3 year deal
RB John Crockett (exclusive rights), wish he'd stay healthy for once.
OLB Jayrone Elliott (restricted), 2-3 year prove it year one deal
RB Don Jackson (exclusive rights), see Crockett
FB Joe Kerridge (exclusive rights), one year make the team deal
DT Christian Ringo (exclusive rights), 2-3 years
P Jacob Schum (exclusive rights), already offered I believe
ILB Joe Thomas (exclusive rights) 2-3 years to let him continue to grow in the defense
OLB Jordan Tripp (restricted). one year to make the team
These are the big money guys:
OG TJ Lang Good bye - Bulaga type money after he is allowed to test the market if he comes back. 5 years $30m 10 guaranteed including 2 roster bonuses.
TE Jared Cook 4 years $35m 11 guaranteed if he doesn't get priced out of GB. Ertz / Clay sized contracts.
DB Micah Hyde 3-4 years for $18m 10 guaranteed - not much lower than what Tramon and House left for.
OLB Nick Perry if he gives the hometown discount, 4 years $40m 16 guaranteed otherwise good bye. I expect someone else to offer him Cameron Jordan type money. 5 year $55m $20m guaranteed
OLB Julius Peppers Good bye

OLB Datone Jones one year prove it deal for $4m. A little less than what Perry had.
RB
Eddie Lacy I think someone else gives him a larger offer than Ted is willing to go. If back 1 year $3m.
RB Christine Michael Goodbye. Don't let the door hit you.
OL JC Tretter Another one priced out of GB. Not that TT can't afford him but if Linsley is around we don't need a high priced bench warmer. Esp with Spriggs OK at backup tackle. And I haven't seen Tretter at guard enough to pencil him in for Lang's spot.
OL Don Barclay Signed later in the process, depends on Tretter Lang and market prices. Lane Taylor type money - 2 years $4m with roster bonuses the only guaranteed money.
Brett Goode More of the same type of money for 2 years.
As to others, I think he's going to get a Prince Amakamura / Captain Munnerlyn level DB for around the remainder of the Shields money. 3 years for $20m 8 guaranteed.
If we lose Cook look for a Jordan Cameron / Jacob Tamme type signing for 2 years $6m later in the month. Especially if someone is cut by a team that "gets their guy."
Maybe another RB for what Starks was getting 2 years $3m signed next month. Jocquie Bell or Jacquizz Rodgers level.
Several 1st-2nd year OLB/DE edge players for extended camp tryouts on two year minimum salary deals.
Plus the usual camp fodder of 1st and 2nd year SFA's that weren't on rosters last season.
AGAIN
I don't need to hear what Ted should do. I don't need to hear what you'd do if you were the GM.
We already have plenty of threads started or hijacked debating those points.
Edit: The only way Matthews is not back at his current contract is if Perry is resigned for the Cameron Jordan level contract. Cobb is back - cutting him was never an option. I'd not be surprised to hear of current starters getting a raise to quell locker room issues of the new salaries.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what Ted should do......wait, crap, I'm not allowed.

Well here is what I would do if I were GM.....wait, crap, can't do that either.

Ted will make this internet forum irate because he won't do anything while other teams spend big $$s.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
From the desk of TT:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but Geronimo Allison signed a 3 year, $1,620,000 contract last year, so he is under contract through 2018.
You could be right or wrong.
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers doesn't have him on the roster.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/green-bay-packers/ doesn't have him listed as a FA either. But he is listed here: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...alls-packers-controlled-free-agents/97995940/ as a free agent.
The most notable of this year’s controlled free agents are Allison, Thomas and Elliott. For Allison and Thomas, Thompson’s decision is a no-brainer. Both will be back on one-year, minimum deals in 2017.
He is on the roster here:http://www.packers.com/team/players.html but then so are Hyde and Peppers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You could be right or wrong.
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers doesn't have him on the roster.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/green-bay-packers/ doesn't have him listed as a FA either. But he is listed here: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...alls-packers-controlled-free-agents/97995940/ as a free agent.
He is on the roster here:http://www.packers.com/team/players.html but then so are Hyde and Peppers.

You were right: ;)

Think this clears up the confusion on Allison:

"originally signed a multi-year deal that would have kept him off the market. However, due to roster moves, Green Bay either needs to re-sign him or let him walk."

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...allison-hits-exclusive-rights-free-agency-nfl

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at this point I'm not sure how you can expect to improve the D enough by next season without dipping into FA. But from what I've heard so far i don't expect TT to do much

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Your list looks pretty accurate for the most part, but I see TT doing a few things different:

1. Hyde: Teams may see the value that the Chargers got out of Hayward last year and decide GB isn't a bad place to find players who haven't hit their peak while playing in the Packer secondary. TT won't match the money Hyde is offered right out of the gate, he is gone.
2. Peppers: Julius has decided to play another year, TT works out a team friendly deal to let him retire in GB and keep him as veteran leader on a defense that needs it.
3. TT finds a way to justify paying Lang or Tretter, not wanting to expose the OL too much.
4. TT lets Barclay walk, finally.
5. Lacy is back in GB.

As far as other teams FA's, I agree with you. No first week (or two) splashy signings. TT will stick to form and sign 2-3 guys who don't cost him a comp pick in 2018.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While it won't make big headlines, I think that was a big signing and at a good price (for the Packers). Allison intrigues me and with Jordy's age, Cobb possibly being in his last year of a high end contract and Adams in his final contract year as well, Allison is much needed young depth. I wouldn't have minded seeing them lock him in for 2-3 more years.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably nothing per the norm. Would be nice if he spent money to fix the dilapidated secondary.

H

HardRightEdge

I suspect this is going to be a reset year (we are prohibited from saying "rebuilding" ;)).

With the "legal tampering" period beginning tomorrow and free agency at 4:00 PM Wednesday, it would appear most, if not all, of the free agents will be allowed to test the market. Cobb is the only notable recent case I can recall where Thompson competed vigorously in the free agency auction.

H

HardRightEdge

While it won't make big headlines, I think that was a big signing and at a good price (for the Packers). Allison intrigues me and with Jordy's age, Cobb possibly being in his last year of a high end contract and Adams in his final contract year as well, Allison is much needed young depth. I wouldn't have minded seeing them lock him in for 2-3 more years.
Well, you do need a 4th. WR who can play some. I can't say I'm all that impressed with his potential upside, but he's OK and cheap. He'll compete with Davis, I guess, who was missing in action. No telling if Davis will turn it around and make it out of camp; having no special teams utility is a big minus. I think the Jeff Janis era may have come to a merciful end when he gunned across the middle on a punt late in the season and took out two of our own guys. I don't think anybody else noticed that even if the regression was apparent.

There's not a ton of opportunity in 4 wide (particularly if we come out of FA and the draft with a TE who can run), it is important for injury contingency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, you do need a 4th. WR who can play some. I can't say I'm all that impressed with his potential upside, but he's OK and cheap. He'll compete with Davis, I guess, who was missing in action. No telling if Davis will turn it around and make it out of camp; having no special teams utility is a big minus. I think the Jeff Janis era may have come to a merciful end when he gunned across the middle on a punt late in the season and took out two of our own guys. I don't think anybody else noticed that even if the regression was apparent.

There's not a ton of opportunity in 4 wide (particularly if we come out of FA and the draft with a TE who can run), it is important for injury contingency.

Agreed on the 4th WR position and as we saw in 2015 and some of last year, that can all of a sudden be a starting spot. I hope with some work in the weight room and a full offseason under his belt, we will see a bigger improved Allison. For a rookie UDFA and as little as he played, I was impressed enough. 12 receptions for 202 yds (16.8 ave.) and 2 TD's.

I think Janis's time was up last year, but his "special" teams play extended him out another year. As you alluded to, he was far from special last year.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Your list looks pretty accurate for the most part, but I see TT doing a few things different:

1. Hyde: Teams may see the value that the Chargers got out of Hayward last year and decide GB isn't a bad place to find players who haven't hit their peak while playing in the Packer secondary. TT won't match the money Hyde is offered right out of the gate, he is gone.
2. Peppers: Julius has decided to play another year, TT works out a team friendly deal to let him retire in GB and keep him as veteran leader on a defense that needs it.
3. TT finds a way to justify paying Lang or Tretter, not wanting to expose the OL too much.
4. TT lets Barclay walk, finally.
5. Lacy is back in GB.

As far as other teams FA's, I agree with you. No first week (or two) splashy signings. TT will stick to form and sign 2-3 guys who don't cost him a comp pick in 2018.
1. Hyde: I'll match your Hayward with House and raise you one Tramon.
2. Peppers: I hadn't seen anything on Peppers when I posted. That said he gets $5-7m each of next two years. Especially if Perry leaves. Perry or Peppers, we won't get both.
3. I expect Lang back after opening weekend when the market is softer for him than expected. Not everyone does finesse blocking and he's not really a power drive blocker. Might even fail a few physicals along the way. And this hopefully takes care of #4 also.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
1. Hyde: I'll match your Hayward with House and raise you one Tramon.

Touche' ;) But now is that a glowing endorsement to resign Hyde or let the wolves have him? I think the wolves will out number TT's desire to spend on Hyde, as well as Perry. I honestly don't know if Hyde is worth what he will ultimately be paid (by GB or someone else), but I would hope TT and the coaches do have a good sense of that value.

But remember, this is our predictions of what Ted will do, not what he should or we would. ;)

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Hyde priced as a safety since that is his position ATM. I don't really know his value since he can swing both DB positions OK but not great. I'm not sure he'll get many offers as a CB, thus keeping his price down just a tad. He also may give a small hometown discount to stay on a contender in GB as opposed to maybe Jax or Cle.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Yeah as Hyde can do both D.B. and C.B. But not enough to give him the big bucks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have Hyde priced as a safety since that is his position ATM. I don't really know his value since he can swing both DB positions OK but not great. I'm not sure he'll get many offers as a CB, thus keeping his price down just a tad. He also may give a small hometown discount to stay on a contender in GB as opposed to maybe Jax or Cle.

Hyde definitely has value added with his ability to be a swiss army knife on defense and a capable punt returner. I was hoping the Packers would have made him a strong enough offer and signed him prior to other teams getting a whack at him. While TT might surprise us and match another teams offer, I see TT being content with the comp pick and moving on. Hyde is one of those solid guys, but is he solid enough to tie up 18-20M+ over 3 years? I don't think it would be that hard to let him walk if the secondary had a solid 2016, but they didn't, so the fear of losing one of the few players that was consistent last year isn't easy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My prediction is that the Packers will retain a few of their own FA's right up against the wire and will sign one or two reasonable veterans once the craziness of the market has subsided.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't need to hear what Ted should do. I don't need to hear what you'd do if you were the GM. I want to know what you think Ted will do with his FAs and all the others available.
These guys will be offered and brought back as they are most of the depth on the team or marginal starters already and all will be cheap. Whether they get replaced during camp is up to them:
WR Geronimo Allison (exclusive rights), 2-3 year deal
RB John Crockett (exclusive rights), wish he'd stay healthy for once.
OLB Jayrone Elliott (restricted), 2-3 year prove it year one deal
RB Don Jackson (exclusive rights), see Crockett
FB Joe Kerridge (exclusive rights), one year make the team deal
DT Christian Ringo (exclusive rights), 2-3 years
P Jacob Schum (exclusive rights), already offered I believe
ILB Joe Thomas (exclusive rights) 2-3 years to let him continue to grow in the defense
OLB Jordan Tripp (restricted). one year to make the team
These are the big money guys:
OG TJ Lang Good bye - Bulaga type money after he is allowed to test the market if he comes back. 5 years $30m 10 guaranteed including 2 roster bonuses.
TE Jared Cook 4 years $35m 11 guaranteed if he doesn't get priced out of GB. Ertz / Clay sized contracts.
DB Micah Hyde 3-4 years for $18m 10 guaranteed - not much lower than what Tramon and House left for.
OLB Nick Perry if he gives the hometown discount, 4 years $40m 16 guaranteed otherwise good bye. I expect someone else to offer him Cameron Jordan type money. 5 year $55m $20m guaranteed
OLB Julius Peppers Good bye

OLB Datone Jones one year prove it deal for $4m. A little less than what Perry had.
RB
Eddie Lacy I think someone else gives him a larger offer than Ted is willing to go. If back 1 year $3m.
RB Christine Michael Goodbye. Don't let the door hit you.
OL JC Tretter Another one priced out of GB. Not that TT can't afford him but if Linsley is around we don't need a high priced bench warmer. Esp with Spriggs OK at backup tackle. And I haven't seen Tretter at guard enough to pencil him in for Lang's spot.
OL Don Barclay Signed later in the process, depends on Tretter Lang and market prices. Lane Taylor type money - 2 years $4m with roster bonuses the only guaranteed money.
Brett Goode More of the same type of money for 2 years.
As to others, I think he's going to get a Prince Amakamura / Captain Munnerlyn level DB for around the remainder of the Shields money. 3 years for $20m 8 guaranteed.
If we lose Cook look for a Jordan Cameron / Jacob Tamme type signing for 2 years $6m later in the month. Especially if someone is cut by a team that "gets their guy."
Maybe another RB for what Starks was getting 2 years $3m signed next month. Jocquie Bell or Jacquizz Rodgers level.
Several 1st-2nd year OLB/DE edge players for extended camp tryouts on two year minimum salary deals.
Plus the usual camp fodder of 1st and 2nd year SFA's that weren't on rosters last season.
AGAIN
I don't need to hear what Ted should do. I don't need to hear what you'd do if you were the GM.
We already have plenty of threads started or hijacked debating those points.
Edit: The only way Matthews is not back at his current contract is if Perry is resigned for the Cameron Jordan level contract. Cobb is back - cutting him was never an option. I'd not be surprised to hear of current starters getting a raise to quell locker room issues of the new salaries.

I would be absolutely shocked if Cook is offered close to $9 million a season on a multi year contract as well as Barclay getting more than the veteran minimum. FYI exclusive free agents are offered one year, minimum deals by their teams as the player can either accept or leave the league as those guys aren't allowed to negotiate with other clubs.

Here's what I think Thompson will do this offseason:

The Packers will re-sign Perry, Cook, Jones, Goode and bring back Lacy and Michael on deals with no guarantees to compete for a roster spot. In addition I expect the general manager to tender Elliott as well as offer ERFA deals to Crockett, Ringo, Jackson and Kerridge (Allison and Thomas already received such tenders).

Unfortunately I don't expect TT to make any splash moves in free agency possibly signing House to return to Green Bay as well as bringing in John Simon from the Texans.

Other than that he will rely on the draft to improve the roster once again.

As I've mentioned above teams tender exclusive free agents a one year, minimum offer as those players aren't allowed to negotiate with other clubs.

With the "legal tampering" period beginning tomorrow and free agency at 4:00 PM Wednesday, it would appear most, if not all, of the free agents will be allowed to test the market.

Free agency doesn't start until Thursday.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can all stop wondering! Reports coming out that Packers plan on re-signing Joe Thomas! Free agency off to a roaring start!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can all stop wondering! Reports coming out that Packers plan on re-signing Joe Thomas! Free agency off to a roaring start!
Not that I'm expecting it, but if he makes a jump in year 3 similar to his jump from 1 to 2, your sarcasm will turn to admiration :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not that I'm expecting it, but if he makes a jump in year 3 similar to his jump from 1 to 2, your sarcasm will turn to admiration :)

Much like all the ILB "talent" before Thomas, I don't expect it either, but it would be a refreshing and welcomed change.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan made a nice jump too in year 2. Martinez took on a huge role as a rookie. Did some good, some not so good and then got injured. I think there's plenty of talent there to be better than average and he appears intelligent enough to learn from mistakes too.

I"m not concerned about ILB. Having playmakers all over the field would be nice, but I think those 3 are capable of being good enough at a minimum. We need playmakers on the edges, I think we'll have a nice push in the middle with Daniels and Clark. and we need back end defense. ILB isn't even on my radar right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts