Potential Free Agent/Trade pickups

Onofr1o

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going through NFL.com's free agent list yesterday seeing who has yet to be signed and there were a lot of quality players both offensively and defensively that i think the TT should look at.

#1 should be Julius Peppers - He wants to be in a 3-4 system(hmm interesting that Green Bay just went to 3-4) and he has 4 teams that he wants to go to, 3 in the NFC and 1 in the AFC. Maybe Green Bay is one of those 3!!! Imagine if TT picked up Julius Peppers via trade?

#2 Malcolm Floyd from San Diego - i know they just grabbed Jordy Nelson out of last years draft and he looked to be a solid player this year, but damn Malcolm Floyd is Fast, Young and hes 6'5'' we need more play makers on Offense.

#3 Khalif Barnes from Jacksonville - Since Tausher and Clifton are getting old, why not sign a proven young Tackle who will shore up that offensive line in the future?

Theres more, im just to lazy, my bad
DISCUSS!!!

OP
OP
O

Onofr1o

Cheesehead
Reaction score
khalif barnes picked up by the raiders 5 days ago

my bad
im retarted

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't agree with Malcolm Floyd, just because TT doesn't want to spend. He's a good player, but to agregate on a position that won't be thin no matter what (injuries) wouldn't be smart.
About Peppers, when I go to bed, the first thing that I pray for is Lombardi Trophie coming back in 09. But the second is Green Bay signing Julius Peppers...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Onofr1o said:
I was going through NFL.com's free agent list yesterday seeing who has yet to be signed and there were a lot of quality players both offensively and defensively that i think the TT should look at.

#1 should be Julius Peppers - He wants to be in a 3-4 system(hmm interesting that Green Bay just went to 3-4) and he has 4 teams that he wants to go to, 3 in the NFC and 1 in the AFC. Maybe Green Bay is one of those 3!!! Imagine if TT picked up Julius Peppers via trade?

Peppers got the non-exclusive franchise tag so if CAR chooses not to match an offer from another team then CAR automatically gets two #1 picks from the team Peppers signs with. Sounds like TT's kryptonite to me.

Not to mention that a trade can't happen yet since Peppers isn't under contract to CAR.

He has also stated that the NFC teams he wishes to play for are DAL & two other un-named teams. Since GB, AZ & SF have decided to run "hybrid" 3-4 defenses, it's quite possible that GB may be an option, at least in Peppers mind. The Patriots have also been rumored to be in the hunt. There was another rumor that he'd stay in the NFC South if the situation was right. No other 3-4 defenses in that division so that would contradict his intent to find a 3-4 team.

Since the current rate for signing a DE tagged in '09 will be around $9 million, I'm guessing he takes that one-year deal & looks to get to DAL next year.

OP
OP
O

Onofr1o

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dallas is a sinking ship. I wouldnt be surprised to see them towards the bottom of the NFC East again

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers doesn't like his defensive line coach much. We signed his defensive line coach.

We will NOT be getting Peppers. There isn't a $10-15 million dollar difference between him and the rest...or say an Orakpo. He's simply too expensive. I used to want this to happen...but with needing to give up 2 first rounders...when 1 is the #9 pick AND pay that much...forget it. Not worth it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really doubt that he'll cost that much. He says he won't play in carolina no matter what, so I doubt if we offer something like our 1st and a 3rd from 2010 for their 2nd and Peppers, they will refuse. I would do this trade gladly, I would trade our 1st and our 2010 2nd for Peppers and their 2nd. Even though there are a lot of quality options for the 9th pick of the draft, none of them have the same quality as Peppers. Just remember Peppers in college. THAT was dominance...

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pros is different though. Remember, he's one one season off a very sub par performance.

Ron Dayne was dominant in college too. And he SUCKS as a pro.

Also, he'll definitely get Haynesworth like money. At LEAST 10 mil per year. That's on the low end. And, he doesn't like our new d-line coach.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, you are right. That's why I think a proven guy is worth more than a rookie, specially a guy that, when was a rookie, outplayed the current (by stats and by awards)...
He was very good in many seasons, too. I can only remember him playing poorly in 07, and NOBODY played well for them in 07...
The coach thing really doesn't bother me, if we throw money at him, he'll come no matter what. And Trgovac won't be his position coach, Kevin Greene will (isn't that crazy? I'm still not used to saying Greene is a coach, let alone saying he'll coach in GB).
But the money thing is, in my opinion, what can be hard.
He's worth, though. We have room to one big signing, specially with the no cap year so close... But that's just me.

RyanMegaphors

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Maybe I'm just negative about it because I dont want to disappoint myself. Ha.

I wouldn't be angry about it...though I'd really like a shot at Orakpo

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RyanMegaphors said:
Maybe I'm just negative about it because I dont want to disappoint myself.
I try to be different, but when Peppers and Suggs were tagged, damn that felt terrible. I know what you're saying... And the probability is that we'll be disappointed about this... But hey, we can still win without him. It's harder, but we can...

spartacheese520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see TT picking up anymore players via free agency. He has already expended his limit...1. In all seriousness, Peppers will cost too much for TT's taste. I think the draft is the best option to address the rest of this teams' needs.

WE BELIEVE IN YOU TT! GO PACK GO!

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is still a slim chance that Peppers could be on the radar.

Posted: March 13, 2009
Two weeks into the 2009 free agency period, the first phase -- characterized by big contracts and rapid-fire signings -- has ended.

Through it all, not a single franchise player made a single visit to a new team.

Of the unprecedented 14 players who received the franchise designation and the multi-million-dollar one-year contract that goes along with it, those who haven't signed the tender offer or struck long-term deals remain free agents. Even if another team isn't interested in giving up the two first-round picks that would be owed to the player's current team under the rules of the franchise tag, nothing prevents another team from wooing a franchise player who hasn't inked a contract.

In theory, a team like the Packers could court a player like Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers and work out a contract with which Peppers would be comfortable, then turn its attention to the team that currently holds Peppers' rights for the purposes of working out a trade entailing something less than two first-round picks.

Six of the franchise players are off the market. Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby, Falcons punter Michael Koenen, Patriots (Chiefs) quarterback Matt Cassel, Steelers tackle Max Starks, and Buccaneers receiver Antonio Bryant accepted their one-year contracts, and Giants running back Brandon Jacobs inked a long-term contract. Though they can be traded, the trade would have to be initiated by the players' current teams. No other team is permitted to make the first move by contacting the player or his agent.

But that leaves eight guys to whom any other team can wine, dine, or otherwise attempt to persuade to accept contractual terms. If the team can also work out an acceptable trade with the franchise holding his rights.

Peppers is the biggest name of that bunch. The others are Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, Bengals kicker Shayne Graham, Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson, Chargers running back Darren Sproles, Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, Seahawks linebacker Leroy Hill, and Titans tight end Bo Scaife.

There are several potential reasons for the lack of any interest to date in the available franchise players.

First, there's plenty of time. The primary focus over the first phase of free agency should be the retention of unrestricted free agents a team hopes to keep, and the pursuit of unrestricted free agents previously employed by other clubs. Last year, for example, the Vikings waited until April to ramp up their pursuit of Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen -- after signing players like Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams.

Second, with plenty of coaches on the hot seat, a team might be inclined to try to sign a player like Peppers after the draft, which would allow the team to keep its own first-round pick for 2009, and then to give up a first-rounder in 2010 and 2011 as compensation.

Third, as it relates to Peppers and Suggs, any interested team might have been scared away by the contract given by the Redskins to defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, which includes $41 million in guaranteed money. Peppers undoubtedly wants a similar package, especially since high-end defensive ends traditionally have received bigger contracts than high-end defensive tackles.

Fourth, teams might decide to try to address the need that the franchise player would fill via the draft. Then, if they don't get a rookie they want, they can then make a run at trading 2010 or 2011 picks for the franchise player.

Regardless of the reason, nothing prevents any of the various teams from picking up the phone and commencing the process of recruiting any of the eight unsigned franchise players. They are all free agents; the only difference is that their current teams have a right of first refusal, and an entitlement to compensation if they choose not to match.

And the process can continue until July 15; after that, a trade is highly unlikely because the player can sign only a one-year deal.

So it shouldn't be assumed that the lack of interest in the available franchise players means that no interest will develop. For one of more of the players, it could be simply a matter of time before they become the center of attention.