Trade Theory

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have a hunch that the Packers could still be in heavily on Darren Waller. Here's why.

1) It always felt strange that the Packers would go "all in" without doing more to address the weapons around Rodgers. The Packers demonstrated throughout the offseason that there was a real interest in bringing in or retaining superior weapons for Rodgers. They tendered a contract to Adams. They were involved with Allen Robinson. And...

2) Waller's name was part of the Adams trade discussion, but the NFL does not allow players to be trading in exchange for another player on an unsigned franchise tag (i.e. Adams). Thus, it's clear they want him, and it's not necessarily the case that Vegas was 100% closed to the idea-- it just couldn't be part of the Adams' deal.

3) Waller wants a new contract, but there has been no movement on that front. He hasn't practiced throughout camp due to a "hamstring injury," but it's rumored to actually just be a "hold-in" resulting from the contract dispute.

4) The Packers draft was mildly surprising in that they did nothing to address the TE position despite Tonyan's injury. They've done a lot of talking building up Tyler Davis this offseason; perhaps that is in part just posturing as they negotiate behind the scenes?

5) The Raiders clearly want to win now, but they have two high volume receivers (Adams and Renfrow) on the team already and their backup at TE, Moreau, is a starting caliber player. McDaniels also obviously learned from BB, a man who wasn't afraid to move on from talented players.

6) Waller just switched agents, which could create some movement.

I would still put the odds below 50% because NFL trades just tend to be rare, but if it happens don't be shocked.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh and one more detail that I think matters...

7) The Raiders' OL is an absolute shambles. It's bad enough that it could single-handedly derail their season. The Packers, if Bakh and Jenkins are on the roster to start the season, probably have more OL they'd like to keep than they have room for. It's easy to envision them having guys claimed at that position after cut downs. So it's easy to envision a deal where the Raiders get a pick and some immediate OL help in a trade (e.g. Nijman).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of off topic but I wonder if the bad raider OL will be good for Devante. He can get open so quickly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

7) The Raiders' OL is an absolute shambles. It's bad enough that it could single-handedly derail their season. The Packers, if Bakh and Jenkins are on the roster to start the season, probably have more OL they'd like to keep than they have room for. It's easy to envision them having guys claimed at that position after cut downs. So it's easy to envision a deal where the Raiders get a pick and some immediate OL help in a trade (e.g. Nijman).

When Yosh trade rumors started I strongly opposed even considering unless it was centered around a player in return....whose position better be OLB or TE. So I'm not ruling out a discussion like you're proposing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of off topic but I wonder if the bad raider OL will be good for Devante. He can get open so quickly.
When you can't protect and teams know it, you'll only beat the bad ones. Just like San Fran did. They didn't have to respect anything really down the field. They charged everything in front of them and played tight because they knew we couldn't protect long enough to worry about the rest.
If you can't beat them deep once and a while, it's not going to help.

Reaction score

Good detective work though. I like it.

My guess is there’s a 40% chance we will see an O weapon before trade deadline.
Too many questions at WR + TE for next season. Would be good to get someone that could be a transition player signed through the 2023 season minimum.

Reaction score
I'm not finding anything on this extension actually happening. Waller fired his agent(s) yesterday, can't hire new ones until Wednesday.
I’m seeing some unconfirmed reports of Waller reupping with the Raiders at league high money ($16M per). I think its just a temporary hold up in formalities on both sides

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are talking....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jags just traded Shenault to the Panthers, curious what the cost was because, if relatively cheap, he might have been a fun addition for the Packers. A young receiver with upside who has done fairly well his first two seasons considering he played on the freaking Jags.

D

Deleted member 6794

And just like that, Waller signs an extension.

It seems the Raiders and Waller are having discussions about an extension but just like other posters have mentioned there's nothing to be found about him having signed one.

Jags just traded Shenault to the Panthers, curious what the cost was because, if relatively cheap, he might have been a fun addition for the Packers. A young receiver with upside who has done fairly well his first two seasons considering he played on the freaking Jags.

The Jaguars received a 2023 seventh and 24' sixth rounder in return for Shenault. The Packers could have made that work as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Laviska was discussed when they gave us a seventh for Cole Van Lanen...I'd have sent Cole and a 2024 7th for Laviska....but in the same breadth how many guys that are arguably a year out from being something do we want? We already have Amari, Doubs, Watons, Winfree....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hunch that the Packers could still be in heavily on Darren Waller. Here's why.

1) It always felt strange that the Packers would go "all in" without doing more to address the weapons around Rodgers. The Packers demonstrated throughout the offseason that there was a real interest in bringing in or retaining superior weapons for Rodgers. They tendered a contract to Adams. They were involved with Allen Robinson. And...

2) Waller's name was part of the Adams trade discussion, but the NFL does not allow players to be trading in exchange for another player on an unsigned franchise tag (i.e. Adams). Thus, it's clear they want him, and it's not necessarily the case that Vegas was 100% closed to the idea-- it just couldn't be part of the Adams' deal.

3) Waller wants a new contract, but there has been no movement on that front. He hasn't practiced throughout camp due to a "hamstring injury," but it's rumored to actually just be a "hold-in" resulting from the contract dispute.

4) The Packers draft was mildly surprising in that they did nothing to address the TE position despite Tonyan's injury. They've done a lot of talking building up Tyler Davis this offseason; perhaps that is in part just posturing as they negotiate behind the scenes?

5) The Raiders clearly want to win now, but they have two high volume receivers (Adams and Renfrow) on the team already and their backup at TE, Moreau, is a starting caliber player. McDaniels also obviously learned from BB, a man who wasn't afraid to move on from talented players.

6) Waller just switched agents, which could create some movement.

I would still put the odds below 50% because NFL trades just tend to be rare, but if it happens don't be shocked.
Assuming Waller resigns with LV, who do you think makes the 53 at TE for the Packers?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know… with Lazard and Cobb and Rodgers, I’m not sure that the Packers needed to bring in a big slot.

You have more faith than me in a big & slow receiver, a geriatric & injury prone receiver, and a guy that's shown.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, it’s always good to temper expectations! :rolleyes:
LOL. Rodgers/Cobb/Lazard. Cobb will make his slot plays, and he'll get injured. IMO Rodgers was a bad pick, or at least one who couldn't make the NFL transition. I wouldn't cry if he was cut. Lazard is, at worst, the reliable #3 blocking Wr he's always been. I expect Doubs and Watson to make noise and compete for the #1/#2 WRs. Hopefully this year, but that's a long shot.

I'd love it if Sammy W could find his earlier form. Nothing I saw in PS supports that. Maybe I missed something. Hope so.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You have more faith than me in a big & slow receiver, a geriatric & injury prone receiver, and a guy that's shown.

Lazard is a good player. Demeaning him because you don't like the corps as a whole is silly.

As to Cobb and Rodgers, it's not my first choice that they're on the roster, but they are (at least it seems that way for Rodgers).

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL. Rodgers/Cobb/Lazard. Cobb will make his slot plays, and he'll get injured. IMO Rodgers was a bad pick, or at least one who couldn't make the NFL transition. I wouldn't cry if he was cut. Lazard is, at worst, the reliable #3 blocking Wr he's always been. I expect Doubs and Watson to make noise and compete for the #1/#2 WRs. Hopefully this year, but that's a long shot.

I'd love it if Sammy W could find his earlier form. Nothing I saw in PS supports that. Maybe I missed something. Hope so.
The only thing you missed is how he would look with Rodgers throwing to him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This post illustrates your lack of football knowledge. Is our WR room a 10 out of 10...nope....9...nope....8....nope....I'd say in the 6 or 7 range with upside. However even with Davante and MVS last year I wouldn't have said we were better than an 8 out of 10.

Members online

Latest posts