POLL: Will Mike Pettine be fired this week?

Is Mike Pettine Fired Sometime This Week?

• YES

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • NO

Votes: 21 52.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Badger fan, I wouldn't be happy to see him leave the Badgers. As a Packer fan, I would love to see him in Green Bay. If you follow the Badger Football program, you will understand just how good Leonhard is. He has a knack for turning average players into solid players, that are already making a splash in the NFL.

All that said, I doubt he leaves Wisconsin to become a DC in the NFL. I think it's more likely we see him offered a HC job at a mid tier college.
Leonhard loves UW & his job, makes around $1Mil/yr and is very happy there. Could see him stay there until Chryst retires in 5-7 years at which time it would be Leonhard's show. Would love to have him in GB, think his long-range plans remain in Madison.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard loves UW & his job, makes around $1Mil/yr and is very happy there. Could see him stay there until Chryst retires in 5-7 years at which time it would be Leonhard's show. Would love to have him in GB, think his long-range plans remain in Madison.

In that case it might be better for him to try his hand in Green Bay, if he's successful for a few years he'd be an even more attractive head coaching prospect. That NFL coordinator experience would help with recruits.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to get the bad feeling that Pettine isn't going anywhere. Why hasn't he been fired yet?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to get the bad feeling that Pettine isn't going anywhere. Why hasn't he been fired yet?

Much larger decision to resign him, and as much as many of us believe he should be fired, he has a much better case against management - I don't believe a good one, but definitely a better one.

I also would think they're weighing the field of prospects....I'm not going to type it into words, but if they feel the field is terrible....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They may not have to "fire him". Sounds like he declined what is being described as a traditional extension of an assistant or positional coaches contract that was offered to him at the end of last season. This extension is routinely offered to prevent coaches from operating under a "final year.

So technically, his contract has already or will expire. Basically, Pettine is a free agent unless the Packers resign him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’d be mildly surprised if he accepted a Packers offer. I would think he’s the obvious front runner to replace Chryst when he retires. He’s in an excellent position right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of these college coaches, prefer coaching in college. Not sure if Leonhard is one of them, but it wouldn't surprise me if he prefers the college coaches lifestyle, as well as the job stability he now has at Wisconsin. I also don't think the money at the Pro Level is necessarily more and in many cases, its less. As someone mentioned, I think Leonhard is rignt around $1M at the UW, while the NFL doesn't report coaches salaries, I read that DC's are right around a high six-figure to low seven-figure yearly salary.

I see Leonhard following the same path as the guy he replaced, Dave Aranda. Aranda was a highly successful DC at Wisconsin from 2012 until 2016. He came in and replaced the Badgers 4-3 with a 3-4 and had huge success. Aranda then made a lateral move to LSU, at a much higher pay and is now the head coach at Baylor. Rough start in his first year at Baylor, going 2-7. Hey, maybe the Packers can hire Aranda, Baylor is only paying him $4M/year. :)

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be fair, if Aranda gets fired in 2021 he's ABSOLUTELY on the radar.

Yeah, I don't know anything about Baylor and why they went from 11-3 under Matt Rhule to 2-7 under Aranda. Rebuild year? Matt Rhule is just THAT good? Covid issues? None the less, I would think that Baylor will be more patient that just giving Aranda 2 years.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may not have to "fire him". Sounds like he declined what is being described as a traditional extension of an assistant or positional coaches contract that was offered to him at the end of last season. This extension is routinely offered to prevent coaches from operating under a "final year.

So technically, his contract has already or will expire. Basically, Pettine is a free agent unless the Packers resign him.

Ahh, well that should make things simple enough then.

I do wish MLF or Murphy or someone would just come out though and say that Pettine will not get a new contract though. If he does .... Ayyyeeeyayyyeee

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do wish MLF or Murphy or someone would just come out though and say that Pettine will not get a new contract though.

My guess is that unlike Mennenga, this isn't such a clear cut case of "he is out of here and we want everyone to know". I also think that because Pettine isn't under contract, it isn't necessary to send out a Public Message of "under no circumstances are we rehiring Pettine". If nothing else, I think silence is a pretty good indicator that the Packers are fully weighing all of their options. It also won't surprise me if the first indication of a change coming is rumors of DC candidates being interviewed. With the final confirmation of Pettine is done in Green Bay, coming as a result of the announcement of the guy taking his place.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I am not blindly expecting miracles with the defense, I am hoping that we see something similar to the change that the offense saw after MLF replaced McCarthy. I do think the Defense has some good players, now it will be up to the new DC to get them all to play up to their potential.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just hope Drayton and whoever the new DC is will turn out good. Given the late stage of Rodgers career, we have no more room for error. Cannot afford anymore bad hires at this point.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it too much to hope for a scheme change? I'm thinking a switch to a 4-2-5 hybrid with 4-3 "base" looks. Z, Gary, and Preston can all remain on the field and we just need one DT and a CB from the Draft to complete the transformation. We can cut Kirksey for cap savings and Barnes, Martin, Summers can compete for the middle spot in base.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like man-heavy schemes, man across the board allows you to send the most bodies possible towards the QB and clogging the running lanes. The issue is when you have guys who 1. can't cover, and 2. can't tackle. We have a couple players on the roster that suffer at doing one of those things, or both.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted no in the poll because he wasn't actually fired. The Packers allowed his contract to run its course and decided not to resign him. As a fan I think this move is overdue but I do feel for Pettine as a person. I for one hate to see somebody lose their job. But the NFL is a performance driven business so if your charges don't deliver it is on you.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine will find work somewhere else I'm sure. For all we know, he could turn a small college program into a powerhouse in a few years. Or he could be a positional coach somewhere in the NFL.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I voted no in the poll because he wasn't actually fired. The Packers allowed his contract to run its course and decided not to resign him. As a fan I think this move is overdue but I do feel for Pettine as a person. I for one hate to see somebody lose their job. But the NFL is a performance driven business so if your charges don't deliver it is on you.
Mike seems like a nice guy, but as you said, he wasn't fired, so one might say it was a mutual parting of the ways . I have no doubt he will land on his feet somewhere. Let's just hope its with a team we face in the next NFCCG, it would be nice to go up against a soft defense for a change. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pettine will find work somewhere else I'm sure. For all we know, he could turn a small college program into a powerhouse in a few years. Or he could be a positional coach somewhere in the NFL.
Word is, he and Shawn Mennenga are opening up a Sports Counseling business. Their motto is "Relax, Dont sweat the important stuff".

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike seems like a nice guy, but as you said, he wasn't fired, so one might say it was a mutual parting of the ways . I have no doubt he will land on his feet somewhere. Let's just hope its with a team we face in the next NFCCG, it would be nice to go up against a soft defense for a change. :coffee:

And in 2022 after another Rodgers MVP Season, Pettine's Falcons pitch a no hitter in Atlanta.:poop::poop::poop::poop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts