POLL: Will Mike Pettine be fired this week?

Is Mike Pettine Fired Sometime This Week?

• YES

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • NO

Votes: 21 52.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I hope I did this correctly...first time attempting a poll.

I know there are other Pettine threads, but wanted to get a sense of where the forum stands as of the result of this game today.

A simple yes or no. With discussion obviously welcomed.

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can only hope. I probably would’ve fired him at halftime lol.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they fire him. They should sign wade Phillips as dc look at the defenses he has put together rams and Denver please

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm very much on the fence. I feel that the D has been a lot better than some have given them credit for.

Are we better than Capers D? yes
Is there room for player improvement? yes
Is there room for coaching improvement? yes

so the question is, before a decision is made, does MLF and the FO think that Pettine can step up? or can Pettine convince them he can?

If the answer is yes, then I think he gets another year

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Our D actually put up good performances. With a good ILB we could do so much better.

Who are available alternatives to replace him?

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've struggled with this somewhat because at some point he has blown calls to a level not a single other coach would IMO. The man coverage call with one high safety at the end of the first half was the most LUDACRIS I've seen out of him. For man fully willing to play soft and two high prevent defense so often in second halves...to not even do that there was sheer stupidity.

I personally am of the opinion Pettine is still an above average DC, however I am also of the opinion it simply isn't firing on all cylinders here. I also am of the opinion this defense has the playmakers many teams would kill to have, only serious hole was consistent #2 at CB and DL...otherwise I see a VERY capable team to be good. Sometimes a mesh just doesn't work. MLF has the offensive side of the ball installed and picking up steam - Pettine provided that stability and "no change" for MLF to have one less thing to worry about right out the gate.

It may seem odd being opposite side of the ball, but I also would think accountability to Mennega and Pettine both would assist in showing Rodgers look we want to get you another ring, not just be one of the best teams every year.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine, despite some questionable personnel use and some dead wrong calls, answered in the 2nd half. The offense did not step up when we needed them too.

My prime candidates for a new DC however:

Jerod Mayo
Romeo Crennel
Kris Richard
Marvin Lewis
Aaron Glenn
Raheem Morris

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine, despite some questionable personnel use and some dead wrong calls, answered in the 2nd half. The offense did not step up when we needed them too.

My prime candidates for a new DC however:

Jerod Mayo
Romeo Crennel
Kris Richard
Marvin Lewis
Aaron Glenn
Raheem Morris

Glenn just got hired by Detroit I believe. I do like him as well, mad he went to them.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Save $5.6Mil on the cap & cut Kirksey, spend top 3 draft picks on CB, ILB & 330Lb + DL and this D gets much better, IMHO. Agree that the offense didn't hold-up in 2nd half when the D pressured Brady & got picks.

The NFCCG would've looked a lot different had Adams caught the 2nd qtr. TD and King wouldn't have sucked so bad. The King failures, though, should have been prevented by Pettine because it was widely known that Brady was going to "pick on him" if he played.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I voted no because I don’t think it will happen. I would like to see him replaced however. Menenga needs to be replaced this week without any doubt in my mind. All the return and coverage teams are pitifullly poor. I think we’ll have a new long snapper as well. I think Scott’s and Crosby’s injuries have affected both of their performances late this season. I expect to see both of them back next year.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I voted No. I'm still fuzzy about the power structure at 1265 Lombardi. What's Murphy & Gutekunst role in letting Pettine go or does LaFleur have sole authority?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Save $5.6Mil on the cap & cut Kirksey, spend top 3 draft picks on CB, ILB & 330Lb + DL
...but...but...but...Don't spend a first round pick on a WR for Rodgers?!?!? Surely you jest sir! :D

I voted "no" because I do not think that Pettine will get fired. Should he is another question, and I agree with others that it is nuanced. The defense has gotten better every year under Pettine. However, it is still not there and LeFluer/Gute need to decide if Pettine has reached the upper limits of his potential. They must also factor if any of the available candidates would be better.

In terms of a special teams coach, it's an obvious answer that Mennenga needs to go. I am pretty sure that most of us could do just as poorly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think both DC and STC should be gone, but I'm skeptical it will happen.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There is absolutely zero excuse for that crap at the end of the 1st half. Zero. None. It's right up there with Gregg Williams going cover zero at the end of that game a few weeks ago with the Jets.

It just defies any logic or reasoning whatsoever.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
There is absolutely zero excuse for that crap at the end of the 1st half. Zero. None. It's right up there with Gregg Williams going cover zero at the end of that game a few weeks ago with the Jets.

It just defies any logic or reasoning whatsoever.

Chris Simms just said the same thing on PFT. Is there something in the Green Bay water supply that turns DCs into idiots?

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBs FO has certainly not been the land of accountability in the past so I personally see Pettine coming back.

However, they must move on to a new ST coordinator. I'll be pissed if they don't

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted No. I'm still fuzzy about the power structure at 1265 Lombardi. What's Murphy & Gutekunst role in letting Pettine go or does LaFleur have sole authority?
Mark Murphy is 100% calling every shot in Green Bay

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious what DCs are out there that are BETTER than Pettine. He is an above average coach who isn't SB worthy, but who is out there that might be?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably not, but I think MLF should be able to decide. That was NOT his pick and after that fu last night I think he should be able to choose who he wants. If he wants to keep Pettine, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts