Playoff positioning

H

HardRightEdge

Are talking about the Giants who embarrassed the Packers five weeks ago (38-10 on November 25th)? They seem to "devolve" just in time to beat up the Packers.

I'm aware of our recent history with the Giants, as you might have guessed. A lot can happen in 5 weeks. Fear of the Jints is just conventional wisdom crapola.

The Giants were outplayed by a WAS team on the come in a game I happened to see. I did not see the ATL game, but the score indicates a beat down. I did see the BAL game...the Jints came out flat, their front 4 was just going through the motions, and the whole team just quit, with a playoff spot on the line...another beat down. I don't think they have a prayer of beating anybody decent on the road at this point.

Devolving.

It's a moot point now...they needed the win at BAL but went in the tank when they needed to step up. Now they're just a long shot. If they pull it out, I'd be happy to play them at home...more so than SF, SEA, WAS or ATL.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will win.
AD will get the record but also a loss.
GB gets the bye.
Nelson and Wood get healthy.
Bears beat the Lions. / make the WC.
Cowboys win a close one. ( I HOPE) / make the WC.

gb 38 vikes 24
bears 21 lions 17
boys 34 Skins 31

should be a great sunday of football.... its been an awesome season.

go pack!

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have the Vikings get in over the Bears. We will still win against them in the dome, then if the Lions, and Eagles win the Vikes will still get in, and Da Bears will be bounced right out of the playoffs.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'd rather have the Vikings get in over the Bears. We will still win against them in the dome, then if the Lions, and Eagles win the Vikes will still get in, and Da Bears will be bounced right out of the playoffs.
Not if Dallas wins. I'd rather face Cutler and Romo than Eli and/or RG3

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not if Dallas wins. I'd rather face Cutler and Romo than Eli and/or RG3

Giants only get in if they win vs Eagles. Only thing the Wash/ Cowboys game determines in this scenario is which of them heads to the playoffs.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Giants only get in if they win vs Eagles. Only thing the Wash/ Cowboys game determines in this scenario is which of them heads to the playoffs.
If Dallas Wins, Redskins keep Vikes out of the Playoffs. I'd rather face Cutler than RG3. How about that? If we beat the Vikes that is

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok yeah, I am off on that. Skins would have to win to keep the vikes in the playoffs in that scenario. Else both get in if dallas wins.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm aware of our recent history with the Giants, as you might have guessed. A lot can happen in 5 weeks. Fear of the Jints is just conventional wisdom crapola.

The Giants were outplayed by a WAS team on the come in a game I happened to see. I did not see the ATL game, but the score indicates a beat down. I did see the BAL game...the Jints came out flat, their front 4 was just going through the motions, and the whole team just quit, with a playoff spot on the line...another beat down. I don't think they have a prayer of beating anybody decent on the road at this point.

Devolving.

It's a moot point now...they needed the win at BAL but went in the tank when they needed to step up. Now they're just a long shot. If they pull it out, I'd be happy to play them at home...more so than SF, SEA, WAS or ATL.

I respectfully, but firmly disagree.

The Giants are a bad matchup for us because of their front 4, and, like it or not, they seem to be in our heads.

Even though they haven't been playing well, they still have the same personnel that dismantled us 5 weeks ago. They also won the Super Bowl last year. How different is their team now? Not very much. They went 9-7 last year, but that didn't make them any less dangerous in January.

I can see wanting to face them over the 49ers, even though it's debatable, but over Washington or Seattle? Not a chance. I want no part of the Giants in the playoffs. The Giants are a quirky team. When they're off, they're not even playoff quality, but when they're on, they're almost unstoppable. I wouldn't want to chance facing them if they're on like they were against us earlier this year.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see wanting to face them over the 49ers, even though it's debatable, but over Washington or Seattle? Not a chance. I want no part of the Giants in the playoffs.

Who wants to play the Giants over the 9ers? They are so ripe for the picking hahaha. Kaepernick gets them a win in the wild card round, maybe. Heck there is actually a good chance that the Cardinals may actually beat them this week at Candlestick Park. They are way too banged up in some key positions to make a serious run at a title right now.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Giants were outplayed by a WAS team on the come in a game I happened to see.

The Giants lost twice last year to a 6-10 Washington team... then went on to win the Super Bowl. The Giants match up too well against the Packers (i.e. able to generate a pass rush without blitzing) to ever dismiss them.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you guys even seen the Jints play in the last few weeks?

I seem to remember them being on a 2 game losing skid that was halted by them dominating us, then reverting back to falling apart. Granted they also won vs a Saints team that was short Sproles at the time - on top of everything else that team was dealing with this season. But the Saints are another team that is built in a way that being "able to generate a pass rush without blitzing" seems to make them relatively easy to beat. Outside of those two games the Giants have lost every game since week 9 (week 11, 14 were the wins).

I see no reason to discount the Giants just because of their poor play. I do think the Packers may be able to pull it out this time around, but I'd rather see a season pass before that theory gets tested out.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to remember them being on a 2 game losing skid that was halted by them dominating us, then reverting back to falling apart. Granted they also won vs a Saints team that was short Sproles at the time - on top of everything else that team was dealing with this season. But the Saints are another team that is built in a way that being "able to generate a pass rush without blitzing" seems to make them relatively easy to beat. Outside of those two games the Giants have lost every game since week 9 (week 11, 14 were the wins).

I see no reason to discount the Giants just because of their poor play. I do think the Packers may be able to pull it out this time around, but I'd rather see a season pass before that theory gets tested out.

My point is rather self evident really. It seems not to matter that the Giants are playing poorly. The Packers are a team that is build in a way that plays to the strengths of the Giant's D. Even in the midst of down right disgusting play at times, the Giants still managed to rise up and play against us like "world beaters". Wanting to play them right now is akin to playing with fire imo; even if they are playing on the same level as that other New York team right now.

Personally I've wanted this team to avoid the Giants like the plague ever since that week 13 game last year. In that time it has proven to be a wise idea as they have since rattled off 2 dominating wins against the Packers. That those wins happened both in the midst of a Super Bowl run, and their recent collapse to me says that their poor play is irrelevant. They will play well vs the Packers regardless of the current team trend.

Members online

Latest posts