Playoff positioning

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL has moved the Green Bay Packers-Minnesota Vikings game to 4:25 p.m. ET, giving it a more prominent national time slot considering what is at stake. Remember, the Vikings will clinch a playoff spot if they win. And a Packers victory would clinch the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs, assuming the Seattle Seahawks don't lose a 42-6 fourth quarter lead over the San Francisco 49ers tonight.

The NFL's adjustment to kickoff times, which also included moving the Dallas Cowboys-Washington Redskins to Sunday night, could lead to a long day and night of waiting for NFC North teams.

If the Chicago Bears defeat the Detroit Lions in the early 1 p.m. ET slot, they'll have to wait until after the Packers-Vikings game to find out if they will make the playoffs. It would happen only if the Vikings lose. The Vikings, meanwhile, might have to wait until after the Sunday night game to find out their fate if they lose to the Packers.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The NFL has moved the Green Bay Packers-Minnesota Vikings game to 4:25 p.m. ET, giving it a more prominent national time slot considering what is at stake. Remember, the Vikings will clinch a playoff spot if they win. And a Packers victory would clinch the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoffs, assuming the Seattle Seahawks don't lose a 42-6 fourth quarter lead over the San Francisco 49ers tonight.

The NFL's adjustment to kickoff times, which also included moving the Dallas Cowboys-Washington Redskins to Sunday night, could lead to a long day and night of waiting for NFC North teams.

If the Chicago Bears defeat the Detroit Lions in the early 1 p.m. ET slot, they'll have to wait until after the Packers-Vikings game to find out if they will make the playoffs. It would happen only if the Vikings lose. The Vikings, meanwhile, might have to wait until after the Sunday night game to find out their fate if they lose to the Packers.
Did they announce the areas that will receive the Packers broadcast?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The effects of the replacement refs have been eliminated from the playoff picture. Vindication and relief in the league offices.
(assuming the Packers & 49ers both do not lose next week with a Seattle win giving them the #2 seed)
Not until ATL wins next week. ATL and Packers would both be 13-3 if Packers won.

H

HardRightEdge

The effects of the replacement refs have been eliminated from the playoff picture. Vindication and relief in the league offices.

You might have seen the Giants / Ravens game. The officiating was as bad as any replacement crew.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did they announce the areas that will receive the Packers broadcast?
No I didn't see that, but I know with the Sunday Ticket, it will be airing here at my house in Dallas.
But they do want most of the country to see it, which is good if we win IMO.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm guessing a good % of that change to a more national is due to AP and the outside chance he breaks the record.

I'm cheering for Seattle for the next couple weeks bc I want them to come to Lambeau. The packers haven't let that game go yet and seem to be headed towards a rematch. The ratings would be huge.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm guessing a good % of that change to a more national is due to AP and the outside chance he breaks the record.

I'm cheering for Seattle for the next couple weeks bc I want them to come to Lambeau. The packers haven't let that game go yet and seem to be headed towards a rematch. The ratings would be huge.
The only one who made any attempt to console our fans was Lynch. That man has more than earned my respect as a person. Still want to whoop that entire team.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Beating the suddenly resurgent Queens in their own house to both secure a first round bye, knock them out of the playoffs, AND close the door on sweeping the NFC North two years in a row, would be a monumental statement game for the Pack.

Win and they rest and eliminate the threat of the Queens.

Lose and they're the 3 seed (no way the Niners lose to the Cards at home) and host the Queens the following Sunday.

Better to put them away early. Plus with a win over the Lions the Bears are the 6 seed and have to head to SF for a quick elimination, also a worthy goal.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Correct, these games are being moved because of their importance and to get more viewers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only one who made any attempt to console our fans was Lynch. That man has more than earned my respect as a person. Still want to whoop that entire team.

This is not the offense you want to **** off. I'm fairly certain they would request that mm allow them to run up the score lol

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lose and they're the 3 seed (no way the Niners lose to the Cards at home) and host the Queens the following Sunday.

Don't be so sure. If the Rams can play them to a tie, then the Cards can beat them. I'm not sold on Kapernick's abilities either. Any team that can't beat the Rams in 2 tries, isn't a shoo-in for anything.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be so sure. If the Rams can play them to a tie, then the Cards can beat them. I'm not sold on Kapernick's abilities either. Any team that can't beat the Rams in 2 tries, isn't a shoo-in for anything.
Not quite.
The Rams, as bad as they are, have a QB who was the #1 overall draft pick, and a good RB, and good DL.

The Cardinals QB is the worst I have ever seen in Pro Football in the last decade.
He's about 25% completion throwing towards Larry Fitzgerald. He's absolutely awful.

The Niners could beat them with Jeff Garcia suiting up Sunday. Even Tim Rattay.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Not quite.
The Rams, as bad as they are, have a QB who was the #1 overall draft pick, and a good RB, and good DL.

The Cardinals QB is the worst I have ever seen in Pro Football in the last decade.
He's about 25% completion throwing towards Larry Fitzgerald. He's absolutely awful.

The Niners could beat them with Jeff Garcia suiting up Sunday. Even Tim Rattay.
I think I heard something like this just before the Vikings played the Niners.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And your current level of satisfaction with your starting QB?

Ponder played pretty well against the Texans. If he plays like that against the Pack then it'll be a game. I can't see us holding AP to under 100 yds. I'm guessing AP runs for about 150.

One thing about Ponder that worries me is that he is as good a scrambler as Rodgers is. He is very hard to contain. When he takes off out of the pocket and runs, he gains a lot of yards.

As for the playoffs, one scenario I don't want to see is this: Queens beat Packers, Cards beat 49ers, and Seahags beat Rams. If that happens the Hags get the #2 seed. Playing Seattle in Seattle is something I don't wanna see at all.

Seattle DBs are outstanding, but when they're at home, they also get away with murder. See the blatant PI on what should have been a TD to Manningham in the SF game as an example. They won't get those calls elsewhere, which is one reason why their away-record is so much different.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well, keep this in mind. Currently many Packer and Viking fans don't think much of him. But, what if the game finally slows down for him and he gets it? Say he is only 3/4 as good as Rodgers. With him the way he is, the Vikings are only 2 games behind the Packers. What happens if he gets it and becomes a half way decent QB? Harvin being out may be the best thing for him, because now he has to look at the whole field. Not just look for Harvin.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well, keep this in mind. Currently many Packer and Viking fans don't think much of him. But, what if the game finally slows down for him and he gets it? Say he is only 3/4 as good as Rodgers. With him the way he is, the Vikings are only 2 games behind the Packers. What happens if he gets it and becomes a half way decent QB? Harvin being out may be the best thing for him, because now he has to look at the whole field. Not just look for Harvin.
Well consider this, even though MIN has defeated some high caliber opponents, the overall difficulty of the opponents they faced this year has been fairly low, and worse teams have beaten teams just as good before.

Now he typically looks for Rudolf from what little I've seen.

All that being said, you didn't answer the question.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well consider this, even though MIN has defeated some high caliber opponents, the overall difficulty of the opponents they faced this year has been fairly low, and worse teams have beaten teams just as good before.

Now he typically looks for Rudolf from what little I've seen.

All that being said, you didn't answer the question.
The overall difficulty of the opponents they have faced has been the same as the Packers except two games. Those two, the Vikings played the Bucs 6-9 and the Skins 9-6, the Packer played the Giants 8-7 and the Saints 7-8. And at this point I would say the Skins are a bit tougher this year then the Giants. And the Bucs and Saints about even.

Minus the games wins and losses of the Vikings, the Vikings opponents went 102-105. Minus the Packers games the Packers opponents went 98-109. Take the division games out, and both teams played teams that went 75-73 in the win loss, not counting ties.

So tell me how the Vikings opponent are of lower caliber than Packer opponents.

Edit: Corrected win/loss of opponents to 75-73, not 74-73. With ties it is 75-73-2

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The overall difficulty of the opponents they have faced has been the same as the Packers except two games. Those two, the Vikings played the Bucs 6-9 and the Skins 9-6, the Packer played the Giants 8-7 and the Saints 7-8. And at this point I would say the Skins are a bit tougher this year then the Giants. And the Bucs and Saints about even.

Minus the games wins and losses of the Vikings, the Vikings opponents went 102-105. Minus the Packers games the Packers opponents went 98-109. Take the division games out, and both teams played teams that went 74-73 in the win loss, not counting ties.

So tell me how the Vikings opponent are of lower caliber than Packer opponents.
They aren't, we've had a fairly weak schedule too.

Still haven't answered the question. ;)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm fine with him so far. He has had some problems but I have to think not all are of his making. Rodgers has had one thing Ponder doesn't. More than one good WR. Rodgers has always had Jenning, Jones, Nelson and Driver to throw the ball to. Ponder, let's see, Harvin, Berrian, Jenkins, Simpson, Aromashadu, and now the rookie Wright. Who looks like he might turn out ok. At this point Harvin being out may be the best thing for him because now he has to look elsewhere. Not saying WR was his only problem but you have to remember, after being in the league two years, Rodgers had thrown exactly 31 passes completed 15 and no TD's. He had time to sit and learn. Ponder did not.