Playoff positioning

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think a first round bye is there for us if we run the table and win these last 4. The 49ers go to New England and Seattle. The Giants go to Washington, Atlanta, and Baltimore, and also have the Saints at home. There is at least one loss out there still for each team.

Failing to get that bye, we probably get a team like Seattle or Tampa Bay in the first round -- assuming we win the division. Settle for a Wild Card and you're probably looking at going to New York or Chicago -- yikes.

I'm hoping the Giants will lose at least 3 and manage to slip out of the playoffs entirely. It's possible. It's not a mentality that I'm proud of, but I'd feel a lot better about our Super Bowl chances without them around. So for tomorrow, Go Redskins.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
with the way we are getting lucky and squeeking past other teams, I don't feel that we can win out....not with the bears coming up: at soldier field, sh!tty turf, bears home field advantage, our skeptic O line.....hate to say it, but i think the bears beat us in a couple weeks. All the other teams we can beat, if we start playing with more urgency

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are #1 in the NFC and #4 in the NFL in sacks...so I think saying our pass rush is non-existent is very off.

It has not been there the last couple of weeks but I think we all expected to see less of it until Matthews returns.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think a first round bye is there for us if we run the table and win these last 4. The 49ers go to New England and Seattle. The Giants go to Washington, Atlanta, and Baltimore, and also have the Saints at home. There is at least one loss out there still for each team.

Failing to get that bye, we probably get a team like Seattle or Tampa Bay in the first round -- assuming we win the division. Settle for a Wild Card and you're probably looking at going to New York or Chicago -- yikes.

I'm hoping the Giants will lose at least 3 and manage to slip out of the playoffs entirely. It's possible. It's not a mentality that I'm proud of, but I'd feel a lot better about our Super Bowl chances without them around. So for tomorrow, Go Redskins.

Me either...tiered of losing to them in the playoffs. Then they win the darn super Bowl each time, their fans proabably are praying we meet again. I wouldn't be as nervous if we could block somebody up front but we definitely can't block them.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We are #1 in the NFC and #4 in the NFL in sacks...so I think saying our pass rush is non-existent is very off.

It has not been there the last couple of weeks but I think we all expected to see less of it until Matthews returns.
Since clay went out, we aint done crap. Hell, even Ponder had all day to throw, we are just lucky he and his WR's suck balls.....Clay has been out more than " a couple weeks".

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see the 49ers blowing that trip up to Seattle and they have to play NE in Mass.

That will be a Eastern time zone game plus a bad weather game.

I hope we can win out and see what happens.....

Games vs Detroit and @Bears & @ Vikes will also be tough but I believe the boys can manage.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather keep on playing and not have a bye week. At least in the NFC, over the past 5 years having a bye has been kind of a curse.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something tells me the suicide rate of Packer fans is going to skyrocket once the inevitable period of lean years returns. If going 24-5 the last two years (so far) setting aside one terrible call causes this much angst and frustration, I can't imagine what a half decade of 4-12 is going to do, much less even more.

H

HardRightEdge

Something tells me the suicide rate of Packer fans is going to skyrocket once the inevitable period of lean years returns. If going 24-5 the last two years (so far) setting aside one terrible call causes this much angst and frustration, I can't imagine what a half decade of 4-12 is going to do, much less even more.

That probably won't happen until Rodgers retires or is permanently disabled, whichever comes first. The odds are against a smooth transition to another franchise QB. We've been lucky; the odds are against a repeat. Looks like the Colts found the right formula...go straight in the tank for one year, get the #1 pick, and go from there.

16ga

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it but I think some of those “fans” will jump to the next big team first time we have a bad year.
I could be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time.) but I don't expect us to get a bye. We win the wildcard game and then take on the 49ers possibly followed by the giants. I have concerns about both teams.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Preferencial Playoff Picture
Teams I wouldn't mind facing: Buccaneers, Vikings, Cowboys, Rams, Redskins.

Teams I'm "meh" about- Falcons, Bears, Seahawks,

Teams I am worried about: 49ers

Teams I don't want to play under any circumstances: Giants and Cardinals.

Why the Cardinals? Well if we get matched up against them in the playoffs I'm scared cuz Larry Fitzgerald had to have done some mean butt whoopin' to get to us. Lol

Underlined teams are my sleepers.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a losing team there isn't any angst after a 2-7 start. I think there's always alot more angst on winning teams. And generally fans just don't care as much once the season is down the gutter.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with him having been out, we are still #1 in the NFC in sacks, and we will presumably have Matthews back for the Bears game, so I don't understand how the original point that we don't have the pass rush to beat the Bears again is valid.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since clay went out, we aint done crap. Hell, even Ponder had all day to throw, we are just lucky he and his WR's suck balls.....Clay has been out more than " a couple weeks".

I never said Clay has been out "a couple weeks". I said the pass rush had struggled for just "a couple weeks". First game without Clay: 5 sacks.

H

HardRightEdge

I was very impressed with the 'Skins tonight. Terrific all around preparation, effort and execution. This was not one of those gone-flat Giant efforts...the 'Skins just flat out beat them. And if you want injuries, these guys are playing without 4 defensive starters, including a Pro Bowler.

The "fire Campen" and/or "draft some OL studs" crowd should have enjoyed this game. Washington ran their zone blocking scheme with a level of sophistication and execution that we've not seen in Green Bay. Just a pleasure to watch.

Washington looks like a team on the come.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good news: We passed the Giants with their loss tonight. Just need a 49er loss and we control our own destiny for that #2 seed.

Better news: The Giants have the Saints, Falcons, and Ravens coming up. Tough stretch. They are not a lock by any means. Would love to have them outside looking in for the playoffs.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our tackling, and youth in the DB, I would not want to face RG3 at all. But I am very glad they just beat the Giants because I hate the Giants now.

If we win these next 4 games, with the Bears one obviously being both the biggest one and the hardest one on paper, I am pretty sure we will get the #2 seed and the important bye. It is important because it's an automatic advancement to the NFC Semifinals, whereas the #3-6 seeds have to beat an opponent (and lose more players to injury in the process) to get to that round.

We can beat any of those teams. But we can lose to any of them too.

Our toughest possible road would be #5 us at #4, NYG...... then it'd be at #1 Atlanta..... then at San Francisco.
Last year's offense, plus this year's defense with a healthy Matthews, Perry, Smith or Bishop, maybe.... as it is now..... the OL has to morph into a good one in January.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time really determining what the value is of a 1st round bye.

Obviously, on paper, it's a great thing, one less game you have to win to get to the Super Bowl, a week to rest up, etc. But the last two years it hasn't worked out that way at all. It's been all about momentum, we had in 2010, and the Giants had it last year.

We could certainly use the rest with all the injuries, and I do want to see us get the bye, but I am very nervous about us coming out flat after the bye. I don't want to see starters rested in Week 17 regardless of situation.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time really determining what the value is of a 1st round bye.

Obviously, on paper, it's a great thing, one less game you have to win to get to the Super Bowl, a week to rest up, etc. But the last two years it hasn't worked out that way at all. It's been all about momentum, we had in 2010, and the Giants had it last year.

We could certainly use the rest with all the injuries, and I do want to see us get the bye, but I am very nervous about us coming out flat after the bye. I don't want to see starters rested in Week 17 regardless of situation.
True how it worked out in 2010 with no rest, and didn't in 2011 with the bye.
But NE was the #1 seed last year and had the bye, and they made it to the Super Bowl.

The problem for us, that was different, was A) we also sat Rodgers in week 17 which was a mistake, and B) the OC's pot head, alcoholic punk kid killed himself the week of the Giants game and because there was a funeral on Friday, it took the edge, fire away from some of our guys.... maybe the whole team.

A bye is always a good thing in the playoffs even though it doesn't guarantee a win the following week.
I just wish we could dome the stadium with January weather there...!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The problem last year was we were unprepared and we got out-coached. Not enough research and study of your enemy being done. Our guys looked lost.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I never said Clay has been out "a couple weeks". I said the pass rush had struggled for just "a couple weeks". First game without Clay: 5 sacks.

yeah, and who did we play? ok

Fact is: we don't generate a consistant pass rush without him. His absence has killed us on the D line.

Members online

Latest posts