Player Performance Thread - Ty Montgomery

H

HardRightEdge

Seeing those numbers lit up tells me just how bad our run blocking is. Buffalo RB's were basically 2 yards further than Packer RB's into their carry before they even get touched!

Thank god we have #12!

Imagine this offense with having to exclusively go with #7. :eek:
The Bills are built to run block; it's a run-first offense. The running backs themselves are a factor in avoiding first contact. The style of the running attack is a factor (the Packers don't run much outside the tackles/TEs) unless the RB bounces it for lack of other options.

That said, stats or no stats, the Packers are not a good run blocking line. You just don't see many holes at the point of attack and cutback lanes are not there either. Judging from first team play in the preseason and in week 1, I kinda doubt we'll see much improvement this year, if any.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would love to see that stat excluding our Aaron Rodgers, as he was 88 yards shy of being our top rusher and led the team in rushing TD's

Great point, that number goes down even further if you toss out AR's scrambles. Of course, so do probably every other teams.

But as HRE points out above, the Packers offense is just not built around being a solid run team. If I had my choice between a solid run game or a solid pass game, I would take the latter every time. So as frustrating as it is to see handoffs to our RB's go nowhere when the line collapses, I will keep taking a solid pocket to allow AR to keep working his magic. Let's just hope that pocket doesn't start crumbling around #12 as injuries to the OL start piling up. If that happens, any improvement on the defense this year probably won't matter.

Reaction score
The Bills are built to run block; it's a run-first offense. The running backs themselves are a factor in avoiding first contact. The style of the running attack is a factor (the Packers don't run much outside the tackles/TEs) unless the RB bounces it for lack of other options.

That said, stats or no stats, the Packers are not a good run blocking line. You just don't see many holes at the point of attack and cutback lanes are not there either. Judging from first team play in the preseason and in week 1, I kinda doubt we'll see much improvement this year, if any.
Yes. This is why I believe it is ever more important to get our RB's and TE's more involved in the passing game. This obviously isn't some new idea as I think #12 has broken records on how many different players he has thrown to and I don't think it's any mistake that our #1 RB could dub as a WR. The key here is getting the ball out quickly in space (rather than that play we retired from last year where we throw the ball to the sideline 4 yards behind the LOS and then lose -1 after the WR gets assaulted)

D

Deleted member 6794

I would love to see that stat excluding our Aaron Rodgers, as he was 88 yards shy of being our top rusher and led the team in rushing TD's

Great point, that number goes down even further if you toss out AR's scrambles. Of course, so do probably every other teams.

I believe those numbers solely reflect stats for designed runs though and don't include quarterback scrambles.