Player Performance Thread - Ty Montgomery

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to create a separate thread for TyM. This young man excites me to vast potential opportunities. Has enough power to break tackles, enough flexibility to cut back and evade and enough hands to be a genuine passing target...the possibilities to use him are endless.

Imo, we should not use him as a bruising power runner a la Lacy. Ripkowski and the rookies should shoulder that load with TyM on more nuanced plays that keeps the opposition guessing.

Do you all see him as a future HoF candidate?

I'll try to update some stats on his weekly performances here.

Week 1:

And he did shoulder a big load in Wk 1 and came out on top. I'd rather we used him more sparingly early in the season and save him closer to playoff's. Stick with Zone Running and couple of good blockers ahead and he'll shine.

Montgomery was on the field for a whopping 90 percent of the Green Bay’s offensive plays in Week 1. He made the most of the assignment, rushing for 54 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries and catching all four passes thrown his way for 39 yards.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to create a separate thread for TyM. This young man excites me to vast potential opportunities. Has enough power to break tackles, enough flexibility to cut back and evade and enough hands to be a genuine passing target...the possibilities to use him are endless.

Imo, we should not use him as a bruising power runner a la Lacy. Ripkowski and the rookies should shoulder that load with TyM on more nuanced plays that keeps the opposition guessing.

I'll try to update some stats on his weekly performances here.

Week 1:

And he did shoulder a big load in Wk 1 and came out on top. I'd rather we used him more sparingly early in the season and save him closer to playoff's. Stick with Zone Running and couple of good blockers ahead and he'll shine.
Considering that we played what is expected to be one of the best defenses in the league this year I thought he did pretty well

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
His 93 all purpose yards puts him in the ball park of the 1,500+ I predicted before the season started. He will have some huge breakout games.

D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery performed at a pretty good level vs. the Seahawks but it's way premature to think about him as a future HOF candidate.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
He's not there, but you'd hope for Marshall Faulk. 1000 yards receiving, 1000 yards rushing in a single season would be amazing.
Hoping for, or expecting that type of production from Ty at any point is setting yourself up for disappointment.

That said, I'd love to see it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why would anyone see Montgomery as a future HOF candidate?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although not ready to put him in the same class yet, how about a bigger, stronger version of Sproles?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The closest comparison to Montgomery in terms of size, build, and athleticism is probably David Johnson. He's a slightly poorer version of DJ in most respects, as seen below:

Montgomery: 6'0" 221 lbs, 31" arms, 10.2" hands, 4.55 forty, 1.59 ten yd split, 40.5" vert, 121" broad, 6.97 three cone, 4.21 short shuttle

Johnson: 6'1" 224 lbs, 31.2" arms, 9.6" hands, 4.50 forty, 1.58 ten yd split, 41.5" vert, 127" broad, 6.82 three cone, 4.27 short shuttle

As you can see, Johnson is just a little ahead of Montgomery in most areas (though the gaps in the broad and 3C are a little bigger in Johnson's favor, and Montgomery had a better short shuttle).

Now the difference between these two players, aside from the slight athletic advantages in Johnson's direction, is that Montgomery is a WR convert. Johnson has instincts and skills that he's developed over his career as a running back, while Montgomery is having to learn on the fly as someone who is changing over late in the game.

So in due time, I do think Montgomery has the capability of being an excellent running back, however I think expecting a HOF career or DJ type production is unrealistic given his stage of development.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was against one of the best front 7s in the league, with one of the most mediocre run-blocking lines in front of him. he had a good rushing td, fought hard for every yard, caught the ball well, and was pff's #1 pass blocking back.

Reaction score
Hoping for, or expecting that type of production from Ty at any point is setting yourself up for disappointment.

That said, I'd love to see it.
Yeah. I think Ty could be somewhere in the 850/650 rushing/receiving range by the end of regular season which is much better than anything we had last year

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The closest comparison to Montgomery in terms of size, build, and athleticism is probably David Johnson. He's a slightly poorer version of DJ in most respects, as seen below:

Montgomery: 6'0" 221 lbs, 31" arms, 10.2" hands, 4.55 forty, 1.59 ten yd split, 40.5" vert, 121" broad, 6.97 three cone, 4.21 short shuttle

Johnson: 6'1" 224 lbs, 31.2" arms, 9.6" hands, 4.50 forty, 1.58 ten yd split, 41.5" vert, 127" broad, 6.82 three cone, 4.27 short shuttle

As you can see, Johnson is just a little ahead of Montgomery in most areas (though the gaps in the broad and 3C are a little bigger in Johnson's favor, and Montgomery had a better short shuttle).

Now the difference between these two players, aside from the slight athletic advantages in Johnson's direction, is that Montgomery is a WR convert. Johnson has instincts and skills that he's developed over his career as a running back, while Montgomery is having to learn on the fly as someone who is changing over late in the game.

So in due time, I do think Montgomery has the capability of being an excellent running back, however I think expecting a HOF career or DJ type production is unrealistic given his stage of development.
The two biggest things holding him back are durability. Ankles..... and the fact he is on the packers. Where there is like 10 hungry mouths to feed on offense. I'm surprised he had 19 carries....

Anyways. It's up to mm to get him into mismatches, so he can capitalize on his potential.... four targets in the passing game is not enough imo.

Earl Thomas is literally everywhere...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The two biggest things holding him back are durability. Ankles..... and the fact he is on the packers. Where there is like 10 hungry mouths to feed on offense. I'm surprised he had 19 carries....

Anyways. It's up to mm to get him into mismatches, so he can capitalize on his potential.... four targets in the passing game is not enough imo.

Earl Thomas is literally everywhere...

I'm not sure that being on the Packers will hold him back. Most years, they run a lot more than they did in 2016. And his competition for carries isn't all that stiff. While the line isn't a great run blocking unit, they're at least competent, which is more than you can say for a lot of teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the line isn't a great run blocking unit, they're at least competent, which is more than you can say for a lot of teams.

The Packers offensive line is definitely not better than a lot of teams blocking for the run. Actually the team's running backs averaged the least amount of yards before contact in the entire league last season.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't see why not. He makes the blind see and turns water into wine.

How about we let the guy play and then revisit the matter somewhere past 99 career carries and 78 career targets?

Would I be correct in assuming you have him on your fantasy roster? ;)

Yes, we'd like to see Williams get a few more carries. He got 2 carries in week 1:

1) 2nd. and 1, 3 yards, first down

2) 2nd. and 10, 6 yards

I think they will work him in a little more. He'll probably be the go-to guy when they need short yardage sooner or later. He moves the pile and gets the fall-forward yards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seeing those numbers lit up tells me just how bad our run blocking is. Buffalo RB's were basically 2 yards further than Packer RB's into their carry before they even get touched!

Thank god we have #12!

Imagine this offense with having to exclusively go with #7. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pro Football Focus:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I would love to see that stat excluding our Aaron Rodgers, as he was 88 yards shy of being our top rusher and led the team in rushing TD's

Last edited:

Members online