Player Injury's

Reaction score
How much do you feel injury's were the Packers down fall this year.

I know every team has them, but, is it really the main reason for such a poor showing.

We all know Rogers is top dog and was surly missed on offence, so what happen to our defense
and special teams???

Do we need a new conditioning coach to prevent all those injury's?
Maybe players refuse to play with a paper cut?
Does attitude have a lot to do with playing at 100%?

Your Thoughts

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with a healthy team we could have won maybe 11 or 12 games, and likely lost in the divisional round.

Which is a pretty okay season, but not acceptable for the Packers anymore. Changes need to be made. This franchise is definitely not trending in the right direction, IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers losing Rodgers for eight games was the main reason for not making the postseason this season. I'm absolutely convinced the team would have been able to overcome every other one to at least clinch a playoff spot.

I don't know whether replacing the strength and conditioning staff would make any difference as there's any way to prevent injuries in a violent sport like football though.

Joseph Willcome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much do you feel injury's were the Packers down fall this year.

I know every team has them, but, is it really the main reason for such a poor showing.

We all know Rogers is top dog and was surly missed on offence, so what happen to our defense
and special teams???

Do we need a new conditioning coach to prevent all those injury's?
Maybe players refuse to play with a paper cut?
Does attitude have a lot to do with playing at 100%?

Your Thoughts
Yes **** poor Strength and conditioning coach

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to fire the strength & conditioning team. Sorry, but it's inexcusable that players are going down like flies.

Does Murphy have a boss? If so, it's time he steps up and gives Murphy an ultimatum: either the gm fixes the defense, or both of your ***** are out the door.

They likely would've been 12-4 with Rodgers. Win a playoff game, and then get their head kicked in. In otherwords, this wasn't a SB team even with him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does Murphy have a boss? If so, it's time he steps up and gives Murphy an ultimatum: either the gm fixes the defense, or both of your ***** are out the door.

With Murphy being the Packers' president and CEO there's no one above being capable of putting pressure on him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oline, injuries could be considered the reason Rodgers and all the rbs got hurt.

I feel like haha was playing through an injury. Either that or capers had him back in coverage in zone, rather than playing up and aggressive like he does so well...

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That's really what needs to happen though...not riots with pitchforks, but shareholders and non-shareholder fans getting off their butts and demanding everyone be held accountable for their lack of performance. Mass letters written to Murphy might sound pointless, but when he sees a large volume of them on his desk he will not be able to ignore our demands.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oline, injuries could be considered the reason Rodgers and all the rbs got hurt.

Actually the offensive line featured all five starters on the play Rodgers got injured. It's true that hardly happened all season though.

That's really what needs to happen though...not riots with pitchforks, but shareholders and non-shareholder fans getting off their butts and demanding everyone be held accountable for their lack of performance. Mass letters written to Murphy might sound pointless, but when he sees a large volume of them on his desk he will not be able to ignore our demands.

The only way for fans or shareholders to put pressure on the Packers front office is by stopping to spend money on the team. Otherwise I guarantee none of them cares.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are going to be stats on which team has had the most games lost due to injury and the Packers may or may not be at the top of the list. I know a lot of teams had some pretty serious injuries to some star players and they didn't end up doing very well (Texans and Giants come to mind) I don't know how much better the Texans would have fared if Watson hadn't gone down or the Giants with OBJ but I am convinced, like WIMM said, if Rodgers had not gone down the Packers would have made the playoffs.

No one likes to use injuries as an excuse but the bottom line is they are an excuse and they are a legitimate excuse. If you lose several star players is utterly unrealistic to expect a team of backups to perform as well.

As for it being the strength and conditioning coaches fault, I don't think so. I think it is a combination of several things league wide. Players are getting bigger and stronger and faster and that means collisions are getting more severe but the body isn't adapting to take the hits . Something has to give. I also think less time is being spent on the basics of making hits and taking hits since contact time in practice is reduced.

It may seem to us that the Packers are always hit the hardest but I'm sure fans of a lot of teams feel that way.

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has injuries, the Packers injuries year in and year out feel more severe due to the lack of experience and any level of depth behind the starting 22. That is squarely laid at Teds feet, he owns it.

The Rodgers injury is different, a truly unluckey event that you can’t prevent. In the end there was no way this team was getting out of the NFC even with Rodgers, all the injury did was expedite the inevitable.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
When a Packer player gets injured, who decides how bad the injury is and when they can play.
I'm assuming here a lot has to do with the coaches and team medical staff, but can a player fake
a injury?
Reason for asking is, some players have a higher pain level then others.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no hard fast rules in anything. you gather info and make decisions. The medical staff all has their input and they make decisions. part of that info is player perception of pain i'm sure. If they're faking, i doubt they can fake long without showing their hand at some point along the way.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no hard fast rules in anything. You gather info and make decisions. The medical staff all has their input and they make decisions. part of that info is player perception of pain i'm sure. If they're faking, i doubt they can fake long without showing their hand at some point along the way.

It is the opposite for concussions. Until they clear the protocol, they are OUT.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players have been known to fake injuries during games. That is why offensive teams are charged with a timeout if one of their players does not get up after the two-minute warning. Of course when this happens, we only hear about it from opponents after the game.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bigger issue is players faking that they are NOT injured. The concussion protocol has helped in that regard, but I'd guess there are at least a few players on every team who have muscle/tendon/nerve injuries and aren't telling anybody about it.

Is it time for all players to undergo an extensive medical exam after every game? (Maybe they already do but I'm not aware of such a rule).

D

Deleted member 6794

No one likes to use injuries as an excuse but the bottom line is they are an excuse and they are a legitimate excuse. If you lose several star players is utterly unrealistic to expect a team of backups to perform as well.

It's definitely unrealistic to expect the Packers to perform at the same level once Rodgers isn't able to play. But it would be possible to do better than 6-15-1 without him though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers aren't the first team in the history of the NFL to lose a starting QB. Some of those teams are able to keep playing at a high level, because they have a balanced team and a capable enough backup QB to not really skip a beat. The Minnesota Vikings come to mind, 2 years in a row.

The loss of Rodgers and the subsequent play of the entire team proved to me that Ted Thompson has built a team that is forced to overly rely on one player, Aaron Rodgers. This has to be discussed and looked at by Mark Murphy and the powers to be. While I would like to place a lot of the blame for the Packers inability to win Super Bowls on Dom Capers, I think this year should prove that once the smoke and mirrors of having A Rod as your QB are removed, TT really has done a less than average job building a quality team.

Sadly, I think the good old boys club will get together over a couple of drinks, make a toast to how financially successful the team has been, lament a season that in their eyes was only lost due to an injury to #12 and carry on business as usual.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
It's definitely unrealistic to expect the Packers to perform at the same level once Rodgers isn't able to play..

Remember years back when the Packers had depth?
When one player went down, there was another player just licking his chops
to show his playing ability in a game, what ever happen to "depth"?
It seems none existence today.

Which brings up Brett Hunley.
Somebody thought he'd make a great backup.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers aren't the first team in the history of the NFL to lose a starting QB. Some of those teams are able to keep playing at a high level, because they have a balanced team and a capable enough backup QB to not really skip a beat. The Minnesota Vikings come to mind, 2 years in a row.

The loss of Rodgers and the subsequent play of the entire team proved to me that Ted Thompson has built a team that is forced to overly rely on one player, Aaron Rodgers. This has to be discussed and looked at by Mark Murphy and the powers to be. While I would like to place a lot of the blame for the Packers inability to win Super Bowls on Dom Capers, I think this year should prove that once the smoke and mirrors of having A Rod as your QB are removed, TT really has done a less than average job building a quality team.

Sadly, I think the good old boys club will get together over a couple of drinks, make a toast to how financially successful the team has been, lament a season that in their eyes was only lost due to an injury to #12 and carry on business as usual.
Yes, let's talk about the Vikings and let's stack up their success over the past decade vs GB. Any differences? Look, it's ****ing easy to win one year. Everyone is talking about the Rams this year. Look at what a coach can do with that offense. Yes, let's look. Now let's see them do it for a decade. and let's also look how they got there. By sucking, and sucking hard for a long time.

And the Vikings, did you notice what they said about them during the broadcast? and let's not act like one of their "backup" QB's wasn't a #1 pick of the entire draft at one point and they traded what away to get him and they won exactly what more than GB did with him? Exactly. NOTHING. One team was in the NFCCG and the other played in how many playoff games? Zero. but hey, they're having a better season this time around, so let's be more like them. and their defense, they've done a better job than we have, that's for sure. They have a defensive minded coach too. How many of their players were missing from their defense Saturday night? How long have all their big names been playing together in that defense? We lost Rodgers, he's our key. You take Griffen and Smith of that defense and I promise, nobody is even mentioning the Vikings for any home Super Bowl game. You think they still are? Do you think GB should trade their 1st round pick for a back up QB? I promise if they invest heavily in Smith and he's lost to a career neck injury, it's going to have an affect on them. If Rhodes is lost to concussion after signing a huge contract, think they'll just keep chugging a long? What Joseph and Griffen are perpetually injured for them going forward and that assumes they win anything more than a playoff game this year, have they accomplished more? what if they accomplish less? Still wanna be them? will we add them to list of teams that have done far less than we have in a decade, but we should be more like? If only we were more like the Giants from last year LOL

Last Saturday we had the the most shifted around offensive line in the entire NFL protecting a 5th round back up QB without our best pass catcher on the field against a top 5 defense that was fully healthy and dominant. What did you think the outcome was going to be? and even given all that, if some guys could have at least caught the ball, there's a good chance that was a win. Hundley isn't great, but he was pretty decent as a back up again, but nobody will realize it, because his numbers were bad and we lost. He's not a great down the field passer. He had a perfect back shoulder for a first down to M. Clark and he dropped it. 2 to Jordy, 2 to Kendricks, Allison. Most of those were drive extending 1st down passes on 3rd down that were just dropped. How many more plays to we get to run when those are completed? what if he actually had a shot to get in a groove? Keep the running game going, work it in, quit playing from behind? Those little things matter. anyway, i'm heading off into a totally different topic.

This repeated notion that Ted and Mike or Murphy don't want to win is such ********. I'm sure they sit around and jerk each other over the financials. Mike took a rudderless Favre team and turned him into an MVP candidate again and this team to Super Bowl Caliber again. Ted built Seattle and GB in to very successful teams. They have a drive most fans wouldn't even begin to understand and they come here every day and act like they know. That success doesn't happen by luck. Disagree with how they do things, that's fine, but statements like they don't care about winning, well I think they're asinine to say the least.

There's ebbs and flows always in life and especially football. A roster is never maintained without it anymore. Even the almighty Patriots, the single giant exception to a pretty hard rule went a decade without a championship. BB hates championships right? LOL We were built for a super bowl in 2014, had a similar roster in 15 and 16 was more change. Those were our years to really strike hard and for different reasons, they didn't. There's going to be some turnover, there is going to have to be growth and we'll be right there again with a chance to play for it all, probably sooner than most think.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes, let's talk about the Vikings and let's stack up their success over the past decade vs GB. Any differences? Look, it's ******* easy to win one year. Everyone is talking about the Rams this year. Look at what a coach can do with that offense. Yes, let's look. Now let's see them do it for a decade. and let's also look how they got there. By sucking, and sucking hard for a long time.

And the Vikings, did you notice what they said about them during the broadcast? and let's not act like one of their "backup" QB's wasn't a #1 pick of the entire draft at one point and they traded what away to get him and they won exactly what more than GB did with him? Exactly. NOTHING. One team was in the NFCCG and the other played in how many playoff games? Zero. but hey, they're having a better season this time around, so let's be more like them. and their defense, they've done a better job than we have, that's for sure. They have a defensive minded coach too. How many of their players were missing from their defense Saturday night? How long have all their big names been playing together in that defense? We lost Rodgers, he's our key. You take Griffen and Smith of that defense and I promise, nobody is even mentioning the Vikings for any home Super Bowl game. You think they still are? Do you think GB should trade their 1st round pick for a back up QB? I promise if they invest heavily in Smith and he's lost to a career neck injury, it's going to have an affect on them. If Rhodes is lost to concussion after signing a huge contract, think they'll just keep chugging a long? What Joseph and Griffen are perpetually injured for them going forward and that assumes they win anything more than a playoff game this year, have they accomplished more? what if they accomplish less? Still wanna be them? will we add them to list of teams that have done far less than we have in a decade, but we should be more like? If only we were more like the Giants from last year LOL

Last Saturday we had the the most shifted around offensive line in the entire NFL protecting a 5th round back up QB without our best pass catcher on the field against a top 5 defense that was fully healthy and dominant. What did you think the outcome was going to be? and even given all that, if some guys could have at least caught the ball, there's a good chance that was a win. Hundley isn't great, but he was pretty decent as a back up again, but nobody will realize it, because his numbers were bad and we lost. He's not a great down the field passer. He had a perfect back shoulder for a first down to M. Clark and he dropped it. 2 to Jordy, 2 to Kendricks, Allison. Most of those were drive extending 1st down passes on 3rd down that were just dropped. How many more plays to we get to run when those are completed? what if he actually had a shot to get in a groove? Keep the running game going, work it in, quit playing from behind? Those little things matter. anyway, i'm heading off into a totally different topic.

This repeated notion that Ted and Mike or Murphy don't want to win is such ********. I'm sure they sit around and jerk each other over the financials. Mike took a rudderless Favre team and turned him into an MVP candidate again and this team to Super Bowl Caliber again. Ted built Seattle and GB in to very successful teams. They have a drive most fans wouldn't even begin to understand and they come here every day and act like they know. That success doesn't happen by luck. Disagree with how they do things, that's fine, but statements like they don't care about winning, well I think they're asinine to say the least.

There's ebbs and flows always in life and especially football. A roster is never maintained without it anymore. Even the almighty Patriots, the single giant exception to a pretty hard rule went a decade without a championship. BB hates championships right? LOL We were built for a super bowl in 2014, had a similar roster in 15 and 16 was more change. Those were our years to really strike hard and for different reasons, they didn't. There's going to be some turnover, there is going to have to be growth and we'll be right there again with a chance to play for it all, probably sooner than most think.

I for one have never questioned TT's, MM's, Capers, etc. desire to win it all every year. I think you are confusing desire with ability. I also don't think you give the Vikings organization enough credit for building a team around.....a team, 53 players. Not just one guy. If you can't see just how average or even below average the Packers became with the loss of 1 guy, I am not going to be able to convince you otherwise. The Vikings are 12-3 with their 3rd QB in 2 years, how could you not want to "be more like them?"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade the elation of a super bowl win or the heartbreak of some our near misses in the last decade for a chance to be MN this year. Not even once.

Members online

Latest posts