Pick ONE player

Which one player would make the Packers the BEST possible team for 2016-17

• Luke Kuechly, ILB

• Khalil Mack or Von Miller, OLB (u choose)

• JJ Watt, DT/DE

• Todd Gurley or Adrian Peterson, RB (u choose)

• Julio Jones or Antonio Brown or Odell Beckham, WR (u choose)

• Rob Gronkowski, TE

Results are only viewable after voting.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what, you all don't seem to like me. I'm so done with that kind of stuff in my life this year. Do you want to actually talk to me? Or should I just leave? I mean seriously. I ain't doing this again this year. Seriously.

I mean no disrespect. I simply just want to know why you would view an upgrade from either bad/solid at the RB position a bigger upgrade to the Packers than any other positions on the list?

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect. I simply just want to know why you would view an upgrade from either bad/solid at the RB position a bigger upgrade to the Packers than any other positions on the list?
It's because, IMO, Aaron Rodgers + Todd Gurley = Unstoppable. It's really that simple. to me. I could definitely be wrong. It is just what I believe.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You know what, you all don't seem to like me. I'm so done with that kind of stuff in my life this year. Do you want to actually talk to me? Or should I just leave? I mean seriously. I ain't doing this again this year. Seriously.

Don't let it get to you. It doesn't really matter if someone on an online forum likes you or not. But around here we moderators try to keep this forum a place where people (other than trolls) can feel free to discuss the Packers.

When you are on here a while there are certain tendencies you will see in some posters. It's kind of like the personality traits we learned about in "Small Group Communication" in college. There are some posters who only like what they see coming off of their own keyboard. There are some who are always full of hope. There are some who are always negative. there are some who will analytically throw every statistic in the book at you. Some on here are the designated leaders while others on here *think* THEY are the leaders. Some will argue with everything including what you ate for breakfast. Some are on here for comic relief. Some are the peace makers who want folks to get along. Some are the trouble makers who are always trying to stir things up. The point is, there are so many personalities at work in this group, that you just have to learn who matches which and roll with it. Don't let it become personal.

With that all said. I wouldn't have thought running back was our greatest area of need, but I do see how if Lacy doesn't shape up and if Starks gets long in the tooth things could be tough. However, I probably agree with those who see other areas of need like OL or DL as more important.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's because, IMO, Aaron Rodgers + Todd Gurley = Unstoppable. It's really that simple. to me. I could definitely be wrong. It is just what I believe.
That's fair enough, and that's why I put Gurley in the poll. I think he's electric and I would LOVE to see him in a Packers uniform. Two things, however. I just don't see great RBs winning rings. Marshawn is the exception. Kind of. Remember, the Bills disposed of him after 3 seasons in Buffalo. In Seattle, he became a key piece, on a team with a historically great defense. Gurley could be a key piece for us. Number two, knowing our luck, Gurley would tear his ACL right away in August, like Jordy did, and like Abbrederis did the year before.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fair enough, and that's why I put Gurley in the poll. I think he's electric and I would LOVE to see him in a Packers uniform. Two things, however. I just don't see great RBs winning rings. Marshawn is the exception. Kind of. Remember, the Bills disposed of him after 3 seasons in Buffalo. In Seattle, he became a key piece, on a team with a historically great defense. Gurley could be a key piece for us. Number two, knowing our luck, Gurley would tear his ACL right away in August, like Jordy did, and like Abbrederis did the year before.

You can't gameplan for that. No way to know.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, I have vintage Crockett & Tubbs action figures still in the box from a long time ago from Spencer's Gifts. Love me some Miami Vice. LOL

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't let it get to you. It doesn't really matter if someone on an online forum likes you or not. But around here we moderators try to keep this forum a place where people (other than trolls) can feel free to discuss the Packers.

When you are on here a while there are certain tendencies you will see in some posters. It's kind of like the personality traits we learned about in "Small Group Communication" in college. There are some posters who only like what they see coming off of their own keyboard. There are some who are always full of hope. There are some who are always negative. there are some who will analytically throw every statistic in the book at you. Some on here are the designated leaders while others on here *think* THEY are the leaders. Some will argue with everything including what you ate for breakfast. Some are on here for comic relief. Some are the peace makers who want folks to get along. Some are the trouble makers who are always trying to stir things up. The point is, there are so many personalities at work in this group, that you just have to learn who matches which and roll with it. Don't let it become personal.

With that all said. I wouldn't have thought running back was our greatest area of need, but I do see how if Lacy doesn't shape up and if Starks gets long in the tooth things could be tough. However, I probably agree with those who see other areas of need like OL or DL as more important.
Need to get the second paragraph into the rules area somehow.

OP
OP
Crockett&Tubbs

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although we DO need an ILB badly, I am surprised that Kuechly is dominating JJ Watt so much.
Perhaps it's because we see Carolina, led by Luke on defense, in the Super Bowl, whereas the Texans are never factors. Also the one time we played Houston and Watt a few years ago, Arod carved their defense up for 6 easy touchdowns.
As great as Watt is, he can be neutralized for most of the game.

Still, I believe I'd take Watt before Kuechly.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Gurley is great and all but as far as who I think would have the greatest position impact for one season among the guys above he would probably be last on my list. If we are getting the guy strictly for 1 year I probably wouldn't even take him over AP.

I was kinda thinking long-term as well. Would be sick, in a good way. lol

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was kinda thinking long-term as well. Would be sick, in a good way. lol

Yeah I get it, it would, but long-term I'd definitely still go with Watt. I think he would singlehandedly give us an elite defense for the rest of Rodgers ' career.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I get it, it would, but long-term I'd definitely still go with Watt. I think he would singlehandedly give us an elite defense for the rest of Rodgers ' career.
Totally understand. JJ Watt is the best in the world. No question.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It breaks down to improvement overall. ILB is the weakest link. The DL is tolerable as is everything else except TE. That's why I went Kuechly. Sort of like getting the pebble out of my shoe before I pull out the splinter in my pinkie.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It breaks down to improvement overall. ILB is the weakest link. The DL is tolerable as is everything else except TE. That's why I went Kuechly. Sort of like getting the pebble out of my shoe before I pull out the splinter in my pinkie.
To me the position just isn't that valuable in today's NFL. ILBers don't get drafted high very often for a reason lately.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BPA baby. That's how I roll. lol

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The old Hypothetical, and it looks like this same topic was first or last posted in 2005, 06, 07. https://www.packerforum.com/threads/pick-a-player.572/

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PICK one player around the whole NFL that you think would make the most difference for us, getting us to the next level, winning a damn Super Bowl. This isn't just for this season, but permanent, so factor age & health I guess......

We've obviously been close many times. One play is all it would have taken last year, and 2 weeks ago at Arizona......

So going into next year, if you were able to take ONE player, any player, from another team, WHO do you take?

I think you could pick any one of those guys and not be wrong. That said, I wonder what Rodgers would be like with one dominant big receiver, such as Gronk at TE or Julio on the outside. Pretty hard to defend against.

Members online

No members online now.