• No, he retires

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • No, he's released

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will be able to roll over an additional $7.2 million in cap space not used for the 2015 season. Nevertheless re-signing some of our guys, hopefully selectively adding free agents to address positions of need and draft picks will eat up a lot of it. In addition the situation gets way more complicated in 2017 so Peppers agreeing to a pay cut would be beneficial going forward.

I get it that people like the see the Packers have a big amount of money unused each year, but at some point the money needs to be used to win a Super Bowl. The "core" guys, Rodgers, Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Daniels, Matthews, Brunett, and Shields are all locked up. Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Ryan all have 3 years left on their rookie deal. Ha-Ha, Linsley, Adams, and Rodgers all have 2 years left on their rookie deals. Peppers comes off the books after the 2016 regardless of taking a pay cut. The cap keeps rising each year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it that people like the see the Packers have a big amount of money unused each year, but at some point the money needs to be used to win a Super Bowl. The "core" guys, Rodgers, Cobb, Nelson, Bulaga, Daniels, Matthews, Brunett, and Shields are all locked up. Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Ryan all have 3 years left on their rookie deal. Ha-Ha, Linsley, Adams, and Rodgers all have 2 years left on their rookie deals. Peppers comes off the books after the 2016 regardless of taking a pay cut. The cap keeps rising each year.

Unfortunately, there's going to be a lot of that committed to the offensive line. Sitton, Lang, Bahktiari, and Tretter are all set to be UFAs in a year without a new deal .

It's true that we're in a comfortable enough cap position right now to 'go for it' this year in free agency if we want to, but that will come at a price after 2016 if we go too heavy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it that people like the see the Packers have a big amount of money unused each year, but at some point the money needs to be used to win a Super Bowl.
I would say that people generally like to see the Packers be in a position where they can afford players when needed/available. I bet that most people on here would be in favor of some more FA acquisitions as long as we still had a healthy cap figure. Even if TT brought in a few more Wave 2 free agents, it wouldn't trigger the type of Joe Johnson problems that Sherman ran into.

D

Deleted member 6794

Spending close to the cap doesn't guarantee winning the Super Bowl. The Packers are in good shape for this offseason but it could get tricky in 2017 with a lot of decisions to be made on the offensive line.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending close to the cap doesn't guarantee winning the Super Bowl. The Packers are in good shape for this offseason but it could get tricky in 2017 with a lot of decisions to be made on the offensive line.

2017 to me is the biggest worry long term....depending how that off season goes we could have some serious issues upfront. I'd almost expect them attempt to negotiate with one they know they want long term this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

2017 to me is the biggest worry long term....depending how that off season goes we could have some serious issues upfront. I'd almost expect them attempt to negotiate with one they know they want long term this year.

I expect the Packers to negotiate a deal with Bakhtiari this offseason. In addition to the guys on the OL Datone Jones and Lacy will be free agents as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers to negotiate a deal with Bakhtiari this offseason. In addition to the guys on the OL Datone Jones and Lacy will be free agents as well.

Lacy is playing for this next and final BIG contract chance for him....this next season could be huge for him. I kinda expect Packers to respond to it accordingly, perhaps franchise tag is discussed (doubt it but perhaps), or a 1 year prove 1 year wasn't the oddity type contract laced with incentives.

Datone, right now will be affordable for us to keep....if he progresses forward as some think, he could end up being too expensive for what he offers. The OL concerns me way more than either of these though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lacy is playing for this next and final BIG contract chance for him....this next season could be huge for him. I kinda expect Packers to respond to it accordingly, perhaps franchise tag is discussed (doubt it but perhaps), or a 1 year prove 1 year wasn't the oddity type contract laced with incentives.

Datone, right now will be affordable for us to keep....if he progresses forward as some think, he could end up being too expensive for what he offers. The OL concerns me way more than either of these though.

Datone's playing time and production increased once the Packers played him at OLB as well. If that trend continues in 2016 he could be an important part of the defense. We'll see how Lacy responds to his disappointing season in a contract year.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's going to be a lot of that committed to the offensive line. Sitton, Lang, Bahktiari, and Tretter are all set to be UFAs in a year without a new deal .

It's true that we're in a comfortable enough cap position right now to 'go for it' this year in free agency if we want to, but that will come at a price after 2016 if we go too heavy.

I don't really agree with you. Sitton is the only "must sign" guy in that group. Bahk and Lang are above average and Tretter is a backup. I understand some will be resigned, but I don't see anybody who breaks the bank.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again, outside of Sitton, I don't see any vault breakers along the offensive line. Lang and Bahk are above average, but not great.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't really agree with you. Sitton is the only "must sign" guy in that group. Bahk and Lang are above average and Tretter is a backup. I understand some will be resigned, but I don't see anybody who breaks the bank.

The Packers struggled mightily when they had to play backups (with Tretter being the only exception) on the offensive line. If the team decides not to re-sign Bakhtiari, Lang and Tretter it will be close to impossible to field a competitive OL in 2017.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers struggled mightily when they had to play backups (with Tretter being the only exception) on the offensive line. If the team decides not to re-sign Bakhtiari, Lang and Tretter it will be close to impossible to field a competitive OL in 2017.

The Packers struggled because they failed to have adequate backups on the roster. Don Barclay has been horrible for a few years. The inadequacy of the backup offensive linemen is a testament to poor drafting for depth/signing suitable free agents.

Mainly, I disagree with releasing Peppers, a player who had 10.5 sacks and was the sole reason CM3 was able to play inside linebacker, because "why not save money just in case".

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers struggled because they failed to have adequate backups on the roster. Don Barclay has been horrible for a few years. The inadequacy of the backup offensive linemen is a testament to poor drafting for depth/signing suitable free agents.

Mainly, I disagree with releasing Peppers, a player who had 10.5 sacks and was the sole reason CM3 was able to play inside linebacker, because "why not save money just in case".

Well, by not re-signing Bakhtiari, Lang and Tretter either some of those back-ups or draft picks over the next two years would have to start in 2017.

Just for the record, I'm in favor of bringing Peppers back but wouldn't mind him taking a pay cut.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we didn't resign any of Bakh, Lang and Tretter moving forward....IT WOULD BE THE DUMBEST THING WE'VE EVER DONE AS AN ORGANIZATION. My personal feelings on that. Not signing Lang I can get, especially if we find a replacement this year in the draft or want to groom Tretter there.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bahk is nothing special, but he's going to get paid solely on the basis of being a decent player at a really, really important position. I don't know that he's going to be a bank breaker but if he hits the open market he's going to get top 15 tackle money, whether he is one or not. That's a significant investment.

Lang is a top 5-10 NFL guard, he is better than just above average. Both Lang and Sitton are going to likely command top 5 guard money. Figure on about 8M a year each.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk is nothing special, but he's going to get paid solely on the basis of being a decent player at a really, really important position. I don't know that he's going to be a bank breaker but if he hits the open market he's going to get top 15 tackle money, whether he is one or not. That's a significant investment.

Lang is a top 5-10 NFL guard, he is better than just above average. Both Lang and Sitton are going to likely command top 5 guard money. Figure on about 8M a year each.

I have a hard time believing TT is going to allocate $16M of cap space on guards (especially since both will be 30 at the time of their extension). There are currently only two guards in the league making $8M a year, Logan Mankins and Mike Iuapati. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we didn't resign any of Bakh, Lang and Tretter moving forward....IT WOULD BE THE DUMBEST THING WE'VE EVER DONE AS AN ORGANIZATION. My personal feelings on that. Not signing Lang I can get, especially if we find a replacement this year in the draft or want to groom Tretter there.

I don't think anybody is saying let all three go.

And THE DUMBEST THING "WE'VE" EVER DONE AS AN ORGANIZATION will always be letting Dan Devine trade 5 high draft picks for a 34 year-old quarterback.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A close second would be Mike Sherman trading up to take a punter (BJ Sanders) in the 3rd round.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We better hope he doesn't retire he's our best player on defense. He deserves ever penny he's due, he's outplayed Matthews in the play making department each of the two seasons he's been here

D

Deleted member 6794

Bakhtiari struggles blocking for the run but he's pretty good in pass protection when healthy which is the most important trait for a left tackle protecting Rodgers blind side.

I have a hard time believing TT is going to allocate $16M of cap space on guards (especially since both will be 30 at the time of their extension). There are currently only two guards in the league making $8M a year, Logan Mankins and Mike Iuapati. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

I agree the Packers most likely won't re-sign both Sitton and Lang.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Always enjoy the hyperbole of the current situation. I assume you don't remember moves like, for instance, John Hadl?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, outside of Sitton, I don't see any vault breakers along the offensive line. Lang and Bahk are above average, but not great.

Posted in a couple of other forums is a pretty detailed post-season evaluation which has Sitton near the top of his field but Lang even higher.