Poll: So if you could have 15 more years...

Would rather have 15 more years of Favre or 15 more of Rodgers?

• Favre

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Rodgers

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now that both eras are over, if you could bring in a young Favre for the next 15 years or a young Rodgers for the next 15, which would you rather see? I've been curious what the results of that question would be given an anonymous poll.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, that is a tough question. Rodgers was the better quarterback, I think, but Favre has the intangibles. Favre only had one season with a passer rating over 100, and that was in Minnesota. Rodgers has put in 10 seasons with a passer rating over 100. When Rodgers played, the quarterback was more protected though. Favre had more touchdowns, but (infamously) more INTs also. Favre was able to get to a second Super Bowl, but lost. Favre played with better defenses. Really tough.

Ah, screw it, I'm going to vote Favre just on fun factor. I have reservations though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now that both eras are over, if you could bring in a young Favre for the next 15 years or a young Rodgers for the next 15, which would you rather see? I've been curious what the results of that question would be given an anonymous poll.
Actually quite an interesting question. I'd chicken out and say I would like the first half of both careers. I got so sick of Favre's untimely INTs and sick of Rodger's they have to gain my trust attitude.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a hard one. I will say this, however. Favre had an ability to keep the team motivated for a longer time than Rodgers. This was apparent the way he performed in 2003 when his father passed. He also overcame his painkiller addiction. His personality was different. Rodgers seemed to get more depressed from crucial losses and it rubbed off on everyone else. Favre faced those losses as well but was always fired up for the next one.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, Rodgers was the better QB stats-wise and had a slightly better overall record. I mitigate that a little bit for Favre because Rodgers didn't have to suffer through a Ray Rhoads season. With Favre you took the good with the bad because the bad was a result of trying to be great. He wasn't afraid to put it all on the line and make the risky throws to win a game. Rodgers was definitely the better pure passer, but the bad with Rodgers was he was so afraid to throw interceptions that he would become almost paralyzed with indecision at times. I would say Rodgers might overall be the better QB, but Favre was a better football player and a warrior and you always knew, good or bad, that he held nothing in reserve and put it all on that field.

If I had 1:30 to go from the 20 and needed a TD to win, I go with Rodgers. If we're down 3 scores at the beginning of the 4th quarter, give me Brett... or maybe Jordan.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a tough question for me at all. Favre was like ripping down jars of moonshine - amplifying the highs and lows. He either made you jump out of your seat with excitement or jump out of your seat in disgust. It would be WAAAY more fun, waaay more butt slaps, and waaay more fan enjoyment.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously, Rodgers was the better QB stats-wise and had a slightly better overall record. I mitigate that a little bit for Favre because Rodgers didn't have to suffer through a Ray Rhoads season. With Favre you took the good with the bad because the bad was a result of trying to be great. He wasn't afraid to put it all on the line and make the risky throws to win a game. Rodgers was definitely the better pure passer, but the bad with Rodgers was he was so afraid to throw interceptions that he would become almost paralyzed with indecision at times. I would say Rodgers might be overall be the better QB, but Favre was a better football player and a warrior and you always knew, good or bad, that he held nothing in reserve and put it all on the field.

If I had 1:30 to go from the 20 and needed a TD to win, I go with Rodgers. If we're down 3 scores at the beginning of the 4th quarter, give me Brett... or maybe Jordan.
Last Sunday was Love's first test. And his teammates made plays.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre. I want the Gladiator "Are you not entertained?" theme while he simultaneously does amazing and 'what the heck are you doing?' things.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a hard one. I will say this, however. Favre had an ability to keep the team motivated for a longer time than Rodgers.
Yeah, Favre was the better leader, and motivator. And of course, more durable. Stronger arm. But like gopkrs said, you want these guys from the first half of their careers, because they both kinda turned diva toward the end.

Had we had just slightly better Defensive or Teams play than bordering pathetic, #12 would be sporting 2-3 SB rings at minimum.
You would certainly think so, but no one can say for sure. I really would like to know how many rings Rodgers would have with a better defense, or with a coach like Belichick. But no one can really know.

One thing in Rodgers' favor, and to his credit, is that it sounds like he did a good job of unselfishly teaching Love what he knew and getting him ready for the position. From the episode of Hard Knocks that I saw, it looked like he was ready to take on the mentor role with Zach Wilson too. I'm sure he remembered how Favre took the stance that it wasn't his responsibility to train his successor, although we don't know what really happened behind closed doors.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
#12. He played a cleaner game. Easy as that. No comparative stats ... no personalities ... period.

Reaction score
Yeah, Favre was the better leader, and motivator. And of course, more durable. Stronger arm. But like gopkrs said, you want these guys from the first half of their careers, because they both kinda turned diva toward the end.

You would certainly think so, but no one can say for sure. I really would like to know how many rings Rodgers would have with a better defense, or with a coach like Belichick. But no one can really know.

One thing in Rodgers' favor, and to his credit, is that it sounds like he did a good job of unselfishly teaching Love what he knew and getting him ready for the position. From the episode of Hard Knocks that I saw, it looked like he was ready to take on the mentor role with Zach Wilson too. I'm sure he remembered how Favre took the stance that it wasn't his responsibility to train his successor, although we don't know what really happened behind closed doors.
When Rodgers said “Jordan is a Master of the Offense” I think last year? I think we can safely say he was correct. He got to see him go through progressions and saw what we are seeing now (in practice).

Obviously no one can prove Rodgers would’ve had more than 1 SB ring. However there’s at least 3-4 seasons that I believe we advance at minimum 1 more contest.

2014,2016,2020,2021 are the 4 most likely seasons we advance 1 or more games with a better D or ST or both.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason the answer isn’t Rodgers is if you just don’t like the person. Otherwise, it’s no contest.
I don't agree. I don't care at all about Rodgers' personal life, and I still consider myself a fan, even if he's on the Jets. On paper, the answer would appear to be Rodgers, but I still picked Favre. You can't really directly compare the stats, because they are different eras. I can certainly understand picking Rodgers, but to say it's no contest is a bit too much. I think it's a very tough choice.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers

Had we had just slightly better Defensive or Teams play than bordering pathetic, #12 would be sporting 2-3 SB rings at minimum.
I think if Holmgren had stuck around longer, Favre would have had 2 or 3 more rings as well. Ray Rhoads was terrible and Mike Sherman was Lindy Infante II.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing in Rodgers' favor, and to his credit, is that it sounds like he did a good job of unselfishly teaching Love what he knew and getting him ready for the position.
IMO, the best thing Rodgers did his last couple years was insist on bringing Tom Clements back to Green Bay and I think he did that for Jordan. I don't think JL would be playing as well as he has so far this year if not for Tom.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#12. He played a cleaner game. Easy as that. No comparative stats ... no personalities ... period.
I think sometimes he tried to play TOO clean though. It often resulted in him taking way too many sacks.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason the answer isn’t Rodgers is if you just don’t like the person. Otherwise, it’s no contest.
False. There are other reasons. Favre would throw to anyone who was open. Rodgers had problems with any receiver who hadn't spent at least two seasons "earning" his trust. He was also a far better leader on the field than Rodgers was. And you never saw him berate his receivers on national television.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2014,2016,2020,2021 are the 4 most likely seasons we advance 1 or more games with a better D or ST or both.

Come on now. In the 2021 playoffs we held the Niners to 13 points. What more do you want from your defense in a playoff game? Rodgers simply didn't play well and that was a pattern with both guys in the playoffs over their last 5 or 6 years.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree. I don't care at all about Rodgers' personal life, and I still consider myself a fan, even if he's on the Jets. On paper, the answer would appear to be Rodgers, but I still picked Favre. You can't really directly compare the stats, because they are different eras. I can certainly understand picking Rodgers, but to say it's no contest is a bit too much. I think it's a very tough choice.
A lot of things that make a QB great are not reflected on the stat sheet.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
False. There are other reasons. Favre would throw to anyone who was open. Rodgers had problems with any receiver who hadn't spent at least two seasons "earning" his trust. He was also a far better leader on the field than Rodgers was. And you never saw him berate his receivers on national television.

Like I said, unless you just don’t like the person, it’s no contest. Rodgers played the position at a much higher level.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, unless you just don’t like the person, it’s no contest. Rodgers played the position at a much higher level.
The things I listed had nothing to do with liking the person. They had to do with things that matter in an NFL QB. You talk like someone who never actually saw Favre play. You seem to be claiming that Rodgers was better in every single way, which simply isn't true. They both had strengths that the other didn't have. You also have to factor in that Rodgers played in Goodell's NFL, which has pampered QBs and made defense much more difficult to play. Frick it. Give me 15 years of Starr.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The things I listed had nothing to do with liking the person. They had to do with things that matter in an NFL QB. You talk like someone who never actually saw Favre play. You seem to be claiming that Rodgers was better in every single way, which simply isn't true. They both had strengths that the other didn't have.

Sounds good

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Holmgren had stuck around longer, Favre would have had 2 or 3 more rings as well. Ray Rhoads was terrible and Mike Sherman was Lindy Infante II.
Sherman did win 3 straight division titles and 4 total playoff appearances with a less talented team than what Holmgren had in the 90s. Giving him the GM spot spread him too thin and he could not do either job any longer.