Who you picking? Savage or Nixon...

One year deal is announced for $5M...between these two guys..who you picking?

• Savage

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Nixon

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at it this way:

A) Nixon is way more valuable

He's actually three different players in one-a nickel corner, a safety (more on that later) AND an All-Pro level returner

Hence, why he basically signed a 3 for 20M deal exactly around the range I saw his value at

B) New scenery will work for Savage

Savage made the dagger pick six down in Big D so he'll always be GnG to me

With that being said he didn't duplicate it in Cali while Nixon at least had that big return late

Savage signed for 3y 21M; he will surely be a starter at S for the Jaguars moving forward

The talk became too negative around him returning despite his overall postseason flashes

He gets a clean slate in JAX and a chance to build on what he did as a member of the Green+Gold career wise

C) How Hafley will use Nixon

4-3 base I could definitely envision Nixon being the other starting S alongside McKinney + 3 off-ball LBs not named Gary/Smith

He's a better tackler than Savage and is the better man-to-man cover guy; m2m will be more emphasized in the new schematics of the D

Now when we take off an LB/guy from the front to go nickel we're in the enviable position of already being able to easily disguise coverages for one little nugget of a reason-our nickelback will likely already be on the field

Meaning, we could go 'base nickel' with SS1 go with an extra corner (CB3 CV) or go w/FS2 AJJ allowing McKinney to drop down and line up in a moneybacker-esque DB position

All the possibilities make it that more difficult to know if they're single high or split zone or man

Especially if the Pack, say, go bring back Hyde as a savvy vet with versatility to fill the SS1 spot in an actual reduced yet still technically 'starting' role within the secondary on a team-friendly 1 year contract

The net net of it is this-with K9 you're receiving 3-for-1 value at a million plus LESS than the price of a lower-tiered solid starting NFL DB in Savage

Gute can't beat that #GPG

He is a slot corner. And average at best. He played over 80% of his snaps there last year.

I will love it if he plays better but right now unless this had low guaranteed money and structured like a two year this was dumb.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson's downfall was not ordering McCarthy to fire Capers. Too many of Thompson's draft picks were becoming very good players in other NFL cities and I believe Capers effectively help ruin Raji's career.
What I have trouble letting go of is TT passing up TJ Watt for King. He made some good decisions but that was not one of them.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What I have trouble letting go of is TT passing up TJ Watt for King. He made some good decisions but that was not one of them.
Arghhh........ a never ending recurring nightmare for me. Watt was probably the safest late 1st round pick in the history of the NFL. His intangibles were completely off the chart.