Peppers and Hyde

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was breaking down the game vs NYG Sunday and got to thinking, there are 2 players our Defense really need big games from. By playing good they both could earn themselves contracts this year.
1. Peppers role has significantly decreased this season, but he's still shown splash plays up his sleeve. If he plays big game Sunday with game changing play or 2 I can see the Pack bring old man back.
2. Hyde has logged a good season. Has had frustrating play at times but does help our Defense also, not to mention his versatility. If Hyde gets a key pick and plays good in coverage no reason he doesn't get brought back either. I know people will disagree with me but thought I'd put my thougts out there. Who knows who gets brought back just thinking.

Sky King

Reaction score
If the master plan was to turn Peppers loose in the playoffs by readying him through a strict snap count all season long then the plan looks to be coming together nicely. Even with his limited snap count he still has put up decent sack numbers. He could be one of the hungriest guys on the team right about now and he's certainly shown he can still handle his niche assignment effectively. He looks like he still could play for another year if he wants to. Better him on the roster than some UDFA who's not even a threat to deliver the goods occasionally. Would he retire if he finally got a ring? I hope that we get to find that out.

Sky King

Reaction score
Hyde is the Jack of all trades and the Master of none. That's okay, though. He reminds me of Lew Carpenter of a bygone era. This team needs guys like Hyde who can be spot starters just about anywhere within their position group - guys who don't need to stop and think about what needs to be done. They just do it. While he trails a lot in coverage he also puts himself in ideal position at some really tough moments.

Again, here's a guy that could easily outperform any UDFA defensive back currently on this roster. He's doing it already. Where would this team have been without him this past season? How about that attempted back shoulder throw at the goal line against Stafford, for example. That was special and he's pulled-off other nice plays in crunch time recently, as well. What he's worth should be the primary talking point at season's end, not whether or not he's deserving of a roster spot based upon his play.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain what this actually entails.

Probably individual matchup's. Odell vs Hyde, Their backs vs our rush defence, Our D vs their O line rtc. The two key themes are stopping Odell and pressurizing Eli, so Hyde and Peppers...that's what I think.

If the master plan was to turn Peppers loose in the playoffs by readying him through a strict snap count all season long then the plan looks to be coming together nicely.

Yup. I want this so much. Peppers, Clay and Perry to run riot!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably individual matchup's. Odell vs Hyde, Their backs vs our rush defence, Our D vs their O line rtc. The two key themes are stopping Odell and pressurizing Eli, so Hyde and Peppers...that's what I think.

Yup. I want this so much. Peppers, Clay and Perry to run riot!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Not so much a want as a need. If we don't get pass rush and a big one. Eli has way too many weapons against our depleted secondary.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not so much a want as a need. If we don't get pass rush and a big one. Eli has way too many weapons against our depleted secondary.

The Packers defense needs to be able to stop the Giants rushing attack on their subpackages. That would allow Capers to provide the cornerbacks with safety help over the top on Beckham and Shepard which would be huge.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of things that made me smile during the game yesterday was Peppers getting to Eli and also batting down a couple of passes. Clay striping Eli and then chasing down the loose ball for a fumble recovery. :)

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the master plan was to turn Peppers loose in the playoffs by readying him through a strict snap count all season long then the plan looks to be coming together nicely. Even with his limited snap count he still has put up decent sack numbers. He could be one of the hungriest guys on the team right about now and he's certainly shown he can still handle his niche assignment effectively. He looks like he still could play for another year if he wants to. Better him on the roster than some UDFA who's not even a threat to deliver the goods occasionally. Would he retire if he finally got a ring? I hope that we get to find that out.

Was it me or was Peppers a little more animated yesterday? I remember twice where he jumped the snapped when the play clock was winding down knowing the Giants were either going to take a penalty or have to snap it and he'd get a jump on the play. I saw him on the sidelines running on to the field after good plays, and then of course his production on the field. Getting to Eli, knocking down passes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was breaking down the game vs NYG Sunday and got to thinking, there are 2 players our Defense really need big games from. By playing good they both could earn themselves contracts this year.
1. Peppers role has significantly decreased this season, but he's still shown splash plays up his sleeve. If he plays big game Sunday with game changing play or 2 I can see the Pack bring old man back.
2. Hyde has logged a good season. Has had frustrating play at times but does help our Defense also, not to mention his versatility. If Hyde gets a key pick and plays good in coverage no reason he doesn't get brought back either. I know people will disagree with me but thought I'd put my thougts out there. Who knows who gets brought back just thinking.

Hyde had a good game in returns and in the slot but he was a disaster outside in the early going, Id credit his replacement with Randall on the outside as one of the keys to the game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was it me or was Peppers a little more animated yesterday? I remember twice where he jumped the snapped when the play clock was winding down knowing the Giants were either going to take a penalty or have to snap it and he'd get a jump on the play. I saw him on the sidelines running on to the field after good plays, and then of course his production on the field. Getting to Eli, knocking down passes.

Peppers had several impact plays vs. the Giants. It seems it worked out perfectly for the Packers to play him less during the regular season.

Sky King

Reaction score
It wasn't just you. To me he looks very excited to be playing right about now. This is the best chance he may ever have going forward to finally earn that coveted ring, and he's not taking anything for granted. He's always been a physical freak, so perhaps he's "younger" physically than his chronological age would otherwise indicate.

I'm glad the coaching staff played it wisely with his reps during the regular season, and I'm really glad that he's on this team. Same with Jared Cook. There's another guy who seems to want it badly and is doing all that he can to achieve a championship. Contrast their efforts to that of say, a Mike Pennel, who is just not disciplined nor mature enough to put the team ahead of self.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was by grand design to limit Peppers snaps this year to keep him fresh for a playoff run. They kept 6 OLB's and all of them were getting snaps throughout the year. I think they learned this lesson after seeing Matthews, Raji & Pickett struggle late in seasons.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was by grand design to limit Peppers snaps this year to keep him fresh for a playoff run. They kept 6 OLB's and all of them were getting snaps throughout the year. I think they learned this lesson after seeing Matthews, Raji & Pickett struggle late in seasons.
I think there are quite a few dominant "old" players, that get signed every year around the league ,and make an impact. Most the time though, the team runs them hard like the stud has always been run... But theres usually a reason these studs were let go by their original teams. Because they aren't effective anymore... But that's only because they aren't played right...

Im speaking mainly about big Dlinemen. These big boys can play all the time when 23, 24 years old. They hit 33, 34 and the body tends to break down. they don't go 100% anymore, and they don't produce by seasons end... You know this ahead of time, why wouldn't you keep a big time veteran buried on the depth chart, and use him only during critical plays every week. Then release the beast come playoff time...

pretty much exactly what they did with peppers. Which took some real will, when Peppers is banking 10 mil during his snap count....... Typically I would bring this offer to a guy like peppers who is considering retirement because the grind of training camp and 20 games before playoffs start, is no fun anymore... But if they get a free pass on that stuff, and take a pay cut to extend their career... I mean, did you see that huge smile on Peppers face yesterday?! After the sack, strutting like the stud he has always been. LOVING IT!

Like I bet he would retire at the end of this year if we had run him hard and he was hurting now. But now instead we could offer a couple year deal for say 5 mil a year instead of 10. And he gets to skip the crap and only play the fun stuff the next two years (with this great team)........ I bet he would take that deal...

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilfork comes to mind..... Give that tank a free ride all year, and unleash the beast for playoffs. I guarantee he gives us a boost that would be noticeable to everyone. He is still an all pro. he just cant play a marathon season and sprint to the finish anymore... So skip the marathon, and pay him accordingly. I bet he would love to win another ring with a 2nd franchise.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to say that Hyde was our MVP yesterday IMO. He earned a contract off that game alone! What a huge fuggin play when he stepped over the line of scrimmage and stole the ball from the cowboys. The swiss army knife of football played his *** off.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will need more from Peppers to win the SB. Both he and CM3 seem to generate better pressure when they stunt giving both a running start rather than a straight ahead rush sceme. On obvious passing downs, some shifting at the line may also get better match ups. Capers won't sleep much this week.

Members online

Latest posts