Patriots stole our signs last year!!!!!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Every article mentions the possible punishment as "being fined or forfeiting a draft pick." So I'm guessing suspension isn't on the table. I doubt Belicheck would personally admit to being involved anyway (turd).

They are only using what has happened in the past as a guideline.. however Goodell has ruled with a heavy fist.. I agree it probably won't be anything other than a draft pick or what not.. but would that really deter a team.. unless it was like a 1st rounder or even day one. Even then.. I don't know that it would stop it.

Talk about gambling undermining the integrity of the game... this would be as bad in my opinion.. it is nothing more than fixing the outcome of the game.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Latest from ESPN. "Multiple draft picks" would be a pretty good start, in my opinion. Let's hope Goodell brings the hammer down.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.

The league refused comment but did confirm Monday that they were reviewing a possible violation by the Patriots.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the draft picks idea. My other thought was to lower their salary cap, making it harder for them to hoard good players. Heck, maybe both.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Belicheck is a weasel. Tom Brady's a front runner, and Teddy Bruschi's overrated.

NO wonder their defense full of average players look so awesome in game situations.

If you CHEAT and know what's going to happen..you can always look good.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on how much the Patriots exactly took from N.Y. Jets then I think the NFL should leave the stats the same but change the score of that game to 2-0 in favor of the Jets.

Everyone tries to pickup signs but to go as far as actually video taping is wrong and just plain cheating. I can't say for sure that New England crossed the line because I never saw what they took from the Jets.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on how much the Patriots exactly took from N.Y. Jets then I think the NFL should leave the stats the same but change the score of that game to 2-0 in favor of the Jets.

Everyone tries to pickup signs but to go as far as actually video taping is wrong and just plain cheating. I can't say for sure that New England crossed the line because I never saw what they took from the Jets.

Yes, I think forfeiting the game itself would be a more appropriate punishment than forfeiting draft picks. The Patriots cheated to benefit their record THIS YEAR, so their punishment should not take place in the future. If they go on to win home field advantage in the playoffs partly because of this win, and then they go on to win the Super Bowl, won't their championship be tainted?

Keep in mind that the Patriots are repeat offenders, having tried the same thing in Green Bay last season. And this sort of thing threatens the integrity of the game every bit as much as gambling and performance enhancing drugs.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Yes, I think forfeiting the game itself would be a more appropriate punishment than forfeiting draft picks. The Patriots cheated to benefit their record THIS YEAR, so their punishment should not take place in the future. If they go on to win home field advantage in the playoffs partly because of this win, and then they go on to win the Super Bowl, won't their championship be tainted?

Keep in mind that the Patriots are repeat offenders, having tried the same thing in Green Bay last season. And this sort of thing threatens the integrity of the game every bit as much as gambling and performance enhancing drugs.

I would go far as to say, that having that kind of advantage threatens not only the sanctity of the game, but the safety of the players on the opposite field.

If they KNOW what's going to happen and can gameplan against it..the chance for bigger hits and injury go up much more.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I got an update. Espn news has breaking news in the little corner there, it reads..."NFL determines Patriots broke rules". Something is coming outa this. I used to think the pats were ok, and I would root for them once and a while. NEVER AGAIN I HATE THEM!!!!

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO wonder their defense full of average players look so awesome in game situations.

Well, they stole DEFENSIVE signs, so they would no what to do while on OFFENSE. They never stole offensive signals, cause those get radioed in.

They are still a well-coached team with great talent.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This also got my attention, it's in the article posted above:
"There also are questions regarding the Patriots' use of radio frequencies during the game."

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a suspension is needed. Cheating is cheating.

Who's to say that taking a banned supplement like ephedra is worse than stealing signals??

Taking away a draft pick(s) would only really hurt a team if it was in the first round.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that the Eagles were covering the D-signals with towels yesterday... Maybe they thought they were in New England?

I recall that now..2 guys held towels around the coach and then would drop the towels when the signal was called

a few have said, seeing the hand signals is one thing but to use a camera man to just focus in on the coach and use of a radio?

Then why even have a hudle? if its okay to steal a sign

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't the defense MLB or another player have a communication device in his helmet like the QB does ? That would stop most of the stealing of signals .

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't the defense MLB or another player have a communication device in his helmet like the QB does ? That would stop most of the stealing of signals .

well it wouldnt matter in this case because they were monitoring radio frequencies too. cheatin bastards

so who knows... those 3 superbowls could be tainted as well. i never have trusted those dirty weasels and i think the league should come down hard.

strip them of the super bowls, and wins and kick them out of the league...

make them the NEW ENGLAND EXPATRIATES

Pack93z

Reaction score
ohiopacker said:

well it wouldnt matter in this case because they were monitoring radio frequencies too. cheatin bastards

so who knows... those 3 superbowls could be tainted as well. i never have trusted those dirty weasels and i think the league should come down hard.

strip them of the super bowls, and wins and kick them out of the league...

make them the NEW ENGLAND EXPATRIATES

Looking back it would help explain how average CB could look so good with only a week or two to prepare.. I always wondered how they could take a street FA and have them look good in a week or two of practice...

Not saying that giving them the plays before hand was done, but it makes you wonder..

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think taking draft picks is the right way to go cos u can always use F.a to bring players in also i dont think suspension is a good idea because its not the players fault i say they go striaght for belicheck and give him a NFL ban for 1-5 years menaing he can never coach any form of nfl for a certain period of time

Pack93z

Reaction score
How about a penalty of reduced cap space for the next "X" amount of years.. make them play with less available money than other clubs... in addition to reduced picks and maybe a game or two for "Billy the Cheat"

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ban them from the playoffs this year. Isn't that what they did to Auburn (BCS)? Suspend Belichick. Fine them. Dock them their 1st and 2nd round draft picks. Then I might be happy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Hear don fox sports radio last night that the 1st SB they won, Belichick KNEW that the refs hate to call a holding penalty suring a SB cuz its such a huge and money making event..So he instructed his players to go a head and hold all ya want

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Hear don fox sports radio last night that the 1st SB they won, Belichick KNEW that the refs hate to call a holding penalty suring a SB cuz its such a huge and money making event..So he instructed his players to go a head and hold all ya want

I don't have a problem with that at all. That's just taking what the refs will give you. Using video equipment to steal signs is another matter, though.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From cnnsi.com

Patriots coach Bill Belichick apologized Wednesday for the commotion surrounding his team following accusations that his club spied on the Jets during New England's season-opening victory in New York.

Belichick said he spoke with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell this week about a "videotaping procedure" during last Sunday's game and "my interpretation of the rules."

"At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling," Belichick said in a statement. "Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

The statement follows a report that the NFL is considering punishing the Patriots for spying. Belichick refused to elaborate on the statement several times during a news conference. After about 15 minutes discussing Sunday's game, he was pressed harder on his "interpretation of the rules," and the coach walked out of the room.

WOW. This is getting ugly.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Did anyone notice that the Eagles were covering the D-signals with towels yesterday... Maybe they thought they were in New England?

I recall that now..2 guys held towels around the coach and then would drop the towels when the signal was called

a few have said, seeing the hand signals is one thing but to use a camera man to just focus in on the coach and use of a radio?

Then why even have a hudle? if its okay to steal a sign
Teams watch the other team send in signs all the time. In baseball too. I mean, do you expect the other team to put blinders on and not look at the guy that throwing hand signals around? If you guess right, you have an advantage, but guess wrong and you get killed. Using a video tape, you can quickly rewind, look over the signals, and KNOW what the other team is calling by what the results of that play were. Then anytime you see that signal, you KNOW whats being called. To me, thats where it goes from watching to stealing.
And they said they think they were trying to steal the signals to the QB's helmets too.

Members online

Latest posts