Parris Campbell

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How many deep routes did Tyreek Hill run in college?

I understand its THE COMBINE but Campbell didn't show any limitations in deep routes.

Rookie year you have a scheme specific player with big play production that can develop. If the Packers don't bite the bullet on developing a top notch receiver now there will never be a time.

A lot more than Campbell.

I understand the vision of taking a guy to contribute as a gadget option and return man while he learns the nuances of the game. In the first round, it isn't for me, but I get it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's just ridiculous to take one bad play and judge the entire body of work of a prospect.

I could find a handful of bad plays by any player in this draft. Even the Great Mackey Award winner Hockenson. :eek:

You don't have to agree with his conclusion, but I guarantee you that Fennell isn't basing his opinion of Campbell on one play. He is one of the truest film junkies in the industry. Again, to be clear, I'm not saying that automatically makes him right. And it's true that you can find bad plays for anyone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You don't have to agree with his conclusion, but I guarantee you that Fennell isn't basing his opinion of Campbell on one play. He is one of the truest film junkies in the industry. Again, to be clear, I'm not saying that automatically makes him right. And it's true that you can find bad plays for anyone.

Good for Fennell. I've been watching Campbell for two years now as I was dissapointed he didn't come out last year but him going back definitely worked out for himself.

The Seahawks had Campbell in for a visit and they have no second round pick. I'm starting to think Campbell wont even be there at 30.

When you consider LaFleur schemes I dont know if there is a player in this draft that fits more then Campbell of what we need.

LaFleurs $ play is working the Slot on a drift route off of play action which is basically an outward slant and up from the slot. I have absolutely Zero Doubt Campbell can run that route and with his speed and movement he will doing Lambeau Leaps and restore this offense into scaring opposing defenses again.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Your also gonna have shorter drops and balls coming out quicker(hopefully). We need guys that can get to where they need to be fast and win in short spaces al la P. Campbell.

The days of the slow developing passing game with receivers running two and three cut routes should be over for the most part.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If GB can get Parris at #30 they should consider it.
He’s a 2019 version of Cordarelle Patterson but slightly faster. He also is good enough to fill slot without much variance from Cobb production
I also see him returning kicks or punts and if he gets through the first line of defenders all bets are off. He’s faster than Desmond Howard and 4” taller and 25 pounds heavier.. and it clearly translated with pads on in college tape.
If used properly by LaFleur he could be dangerous out of the slot and he’s got the speed to keep teams honest, which is exactly what GB needed several years ago. Aaron Rodgers is the master of making teams pay for going single high and he can put Parris in that 600-900 yard range by year 2. Not including return yards he’s a 8TD/800-1000 all purpose yard guy if used effectively. That’s worth a #30 and IMO, he’ll be just a memory at #44, but if not, we’re ignorant to let him go past that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Harvin was a head case and a locker room problem and lacked the character Campbell(team captain) does.

Go research Harvin with the Seahawks after he got paid where he basically quite on his team during a game leading to his release. There was also the Pre-Super Bowl incident where he knocked out Golden Tate. Harvin was a cancer and a ME GUY and didnt work hard at his craft like I've explained before.

It's interesting that you bash Harvin for being a selfish guy only weeks after strongly advocating for the Packers to trade for Antonio Brown.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good for Fennell. I've been watching Campbell for two years now as I was dissapointed he didn't come out last year but him going back definitely worked out for himself.

The Seahawks had Campbell in for a visit and they have no second round pick. I'm starting to think Campbell wont even be there at 30.

When you consider LaFleur schemes I dont know if there is a player in this draft that fits more then Campbell of what we need.

LaFleurs $ play is working the Slot on a drift route off of play action which is basically an outward slant and up from the slot. I have absolutely Zero Doubt Campbell can run that route and with his speed and movement he will doing Lambeau Leaps and restore this offense into scaring opposing defenses again.

Well to be clear, I don't think Campbell is a bad prospect. I've been mocking him at #22 to the Ravens. But I think you just have to understand what he is and what he isn't right now. It would be fair to expect him to contribute as a weapon in the screen game and on jet sweeps. He can probably handle return duties for you. But routes down the field are new territory for him, and his hands are concerning.

I would argue that someone like A.J. Brown is a better fit for what the Packers need, as he brings YAC skills while also having proven that he's a threat at multiple levels with reliable hands.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's interesting that you bash Harvin for being a selfish guy only weeks after strongly advocating for the Packers to trade for Antonio Brown.

Anotonio Brown is a HOF receiver so it's all relative. Tolerance levels apply accordingly.

Also, Nobody works harder at his craft then AB.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well to be clear, I don't think Campbell is a bad prospect. I've been mocking him at #22 to the Ravens. But I think you just have to understand what he is and what he isn't right now. It would be fair to expect him to contribute as a weapon in the screen game and on jet sweeps. He can probably handle return duties for you. But routes down the field are new territory for him, and his hands are concerning.

I would argue that someone like A.J. Brown is a better fit for what the Packers need, as he brings YAC skills while also having proven that he's a threat at multiple levels with reliable hands.

AJ Brown is good prospect but he is basically a carbon copy of Devante Adams. We need someone with deep speed that can score from anywhere on the field(dynamic playmaker)

This offense isn't thirsty for another possession receiver.

If we get a guy like Campbell his speed and quickness alone will help the other possession guys get free.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Ravens had Marquise Brown in for a visit. Hopefully we get lucky and they take him at #22

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fear that Campbell is 2019's version of 2007 Ted Ginn... speed on top of speed & marginal WR hands. Over-drafted @ #9 to be a returner and speed WR guy... and never really became more than a fast, gadget guy with frequent drops who didn't justify his draft position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
AJ Brown is good prospect but he is basically a carbon copy of Devante Adams. We need someone with deep speed that can score from anywhere on the field(dynamic playmaker)

This offense isn't thirsty for another possession receiver.

If we get a guy like Campbell his speed and quickness alone will help the other possession guys get free.

If we are talking about Adams the college prospect, I completely disagree with that. Adams' best trait in college was his ability to high point passes and make contested catches. Brown's best trait is the ability to create with the ball in his hands and make plays after the catch. He was one of the best in college football in that regard.

Campbell is fast, but you can't really say he's a deep threat when he has never been one before. He had two catches all season that were beyond 20 yards.

In Adams, they have a #1 WR. I would argue that MVS and EQ are best served as vertical targets, and both flashed in that regard as rookies. What the offense is missing is someone to win in the short game with YAC. Brown fits the bill. So does Campbell, for that matter, but his lack of experience and refinement in traditional offense shouldn't just be ignored.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I fear that Campbell is 2019's version of 2007 Ted Ginn... speed on top of speed & marginal WR hands. Over-drafted @ #9 to be a returner and speed WR guy... and never really became more than a fast, gadget guy with frequent drops who didn't justify his draft position.

I just don't know how you can overdraft Speed and Athleticism at the WR position. The fact that the Packers haven't is why we are in the position we are in now. People can point to the one's that didn't live up to the billing but there are also one's that did and are.

This is why I continue to talk about PROJECTION and Campbell being a PROJECTION TYPE PLAYER. The reason Campbell removes some of the fear in this evaluation is he got BETTER every year and showed up as a team leader and is highly regarded in the OSU program. This shows me that not only does he have the work ethic and willingness to get better along with the physical tools to match. Parris Campbell has not hit his ceiling yet which makes this such an exciting option for the Packers.

I am certainly not going to dismiss a prospect because he was not asked to do something and play into this whole narrative that he can't. The least of my fears is Campbell not being able to run downfield past people.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Reaction score
We definitely need to be cautious of raw speed or measurables though too. I think Parris offers more than that though. He just needs some route tree refinement, but then again few don’t need seasoning. I say that because we’ve all seen the track star turned NFL bust, but he’s not that guy.

His quickness will match up well at the NFL level and if used similar to Monty, he has an added turbo engine that pays dividends with a blocker out front or a couple yards of acceleration. His other positive is he’s a little better sized for durability at 205lb. Those 5’10/185 pounders leave room for concern.

Who knows, we may not even go Slot and might be thinking bigger plans with another bonafide Perimeter Receiver. But I’d be happy with him late round 1 early round 2 range.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just don't know how you can overdraft Speed and Athleticism at the WR position. The fact that the Packers haven't is why we are in the position we are in now. People can point to the one's that didn't live up to the billing but there are also one's that did and are.

This is why I continue to talk about PROJECTION and Campbell being a PROJECTION TYPE PLAYER. The reason Campbell removes some of the fear in this evaluation is he got BETTER every year and showed up as a team leader and is highly regarded in the OSU program. This shows me that not only does he have the work ethic and willingness to get better along with the physical tools to match. Parris Campbell has not hit his ceiling yet which makes this such an exciting option for the Packers.

I am certainly not going to dismiss a prospect because he was not asked to do something and play into this whole narrative that he can't. The least of my fears is Campbell not being able to run downfield past people.

Ok, let's avoid just cherry picking exceptions and look at the whole picture. Here are all of the 1st round wide receivers going back to and their 40 times.

2018:
  • D.J. Moore: 4.43
  • Calvin Ridley: 4.42
2017:
  • Corey Davis: N/A
  • Mike Williams: N/A
  • John Ross: 4.22
2016:
  • Corey Coleman: 4.42
  • Will Fuller: 4.32
  • Josh Doctson: 4.50
  • Laquon Treadwell: 4.52
2015:
  • Amari Cooper: 4.42
  • Kevin White: 4.35
  • Davante Parker: 4.45
  • Nelson Agholor: 4.42
  • Breshad Perriman: 4.24*
  • Philip Dorsett: 4.33
*Pro day time

2014:
  • Sammy Watkins: 4.43
  • Mike Evans: 4.53
  • Odell Beckham: 4.38
  • Brandin Cooks: 4.33
  • Kelvin Benjamin: 4.61
2013:
  • Tavon Austin: 4.34
  • DeAndre Hopkins: 4.57
  • Cordarrelle Patterson: 4.42
2012:
  • Justin Blackman: 4.46
  • Michael Floyd: 4.40
  • Kendall Wright: 4.49
  • A.J. Jenkins: 4.37
2011:
  • A.J. Green: 4.48
  • Julio Jones: 4.34
  • Jon Baldwin: 4.49
2010:
  • Demaryius Thomas: 4.52
  • Dez Bryant: 4.52
2009:
  • Darrius Heyward-Bey: 4.30
  • Michael Crabtree:4.54
  • Jeremy Maclin: 4.43
  • Percy Harvin: 4.41
  • Hakeem Nicks: 4.51
  • Kenny Britt: 4.47
Of that 10 year sample, the following are the players who, in my opinion were drafted in the first round primarily for there speed and/or overall athleticism:
  • D.J. Moore
  • John Ross
  • Corey Coleman
  • Will Fuller
  • Kevin White
  • Breshad Perriman
  • Philip Dorsett
  • Tavon Austin
  • Cordarelle Patterson
  • A.J. Jenkins
  • Demaryius Thomas
  • Darrius Heyward-Bey
  • Percy Harvin
I think history tells us that you absolutely can overdraft speed and athleticism and you had better be darn careful about doing so.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We definitely need to be cautious of raw speed or measurables though too. I think Parris offers more than that though. He just needs some route tree refinement, but then again few don’t need seasoning. I say that because we’ve all seen the track star turned NFL bust, but he’s not that guy.

His quickness will match up well at the NFL level and if used similar to Monty, he has an added turbo engine that pays dividends with a blocker out front or a couple yards of acceleration. His other positive is he’s a little better sized for durability at 205lb. Those 5’10/185 pounders leave room for concern.

Who knows, we may not even go Slot and might be thinking bigger plans with another bonafide Perimeter Receiver. But I’d be happy with him late round 1 early round 2 range.

I don't think that's a fair statement in this case. Yes, all rookies need seasoning, including at wide receiver. But you're talking about a pretty extreme example-- a guy who only caught two passes all year more than 20 yards downfield, and whose average depth of target was 4.5 yards.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ok, let's avoid just cherry picking exceptions and look at the whole picture. Here are all of the 1st round wide receivers going back to and their 40 times.

2018:
  • D.J. Moore: 4.43
  • Calvin Ridley: 4.42
2017:
  • Corey Davis: N/A
  • Mike Williams: N/A
  • John Ross: 4.22
2016:
  • Corey Coleman: 4.42
  • Will Fuller: 4.32
  • Josh Doctson: 4.50
  • Laquon Treadwell: 4.52
2015:
  • Amari Cooper: 4.42
  • Kevin White: 4.35
  • Davante Parker: 4.45
  • Nelson Agholor: 4.42
  • Breshad Perriman: 4.24*
  • Philip Dorsett: 4.33
*Pro day time

2014:
  • Sammy Watkins: 4.43
  • Mike Evans: 4.53
  • Odell Beckham: 4.38
  • Brandin Cooks: 4.33
  • Kelvin Benjamin: 4.61
2013:
  • Tavon Austin: 4.34
  • DeAndre Hopkins: 4.57
  • Cordarrelle Patterson: 4.42
2012:
  • Justin Blackman: 4.46
  • Michael Floyd: 4.40
  • Kendall Wright: 4.49
  • A.J. Jenkins: 4.37
2011:
  • A.J. Green: 4.48
  • Julio Jones: 4.34
  • Jon Baldwin: 4.49
2010:
  • Demaryius Thomas: 4.52
  • Dez Bryant: 4.52
2009:
  • Darrius Heyward-Bey: 4.30
  • Michael Crabtree:4.54
  • Jeremy Maclin: 4.43
  • Percy Harvin: 4.41
  • Hakeem Nicks: 4.51
  • Kenny Britt: 4.47
Of that 10 year sample, the following are the players who, in my opinion were drafted in the first round primarily for there speed and/or overall athleticism:
  • D.J. Moore
  • John Ross
  • Corey Coleman
  • Will Fuller
  • Kevin White
  • Breshad Perriman
  • Philip Dorsett
  • Tavon Austin
  • Cordarelle Patterson
  • A.J. Jenkins
  • Demaryius Thomas
  • Darrius Heyward-Bey
  • Percy Harvin
I think history tells us that you absolutely can overdraft speed and athleticism and you had better be darn careful about doing so.

Your turning this into a SCIENCE EXPERIMENT!!!!!!

I have never really been on here advocating top end speed guys in the past. I thought J. Ross was a joke and didn't like DJ Moore either or Samuel.
I think Campbell will be special. He has natural football body movements and I've laid out over and over why I like him in Green and Gold.

If you don't that's fine. All I have seen on this forum for the most part is just about everyone making up every damn excuse why we don't need to invest in a potential GAME CHANGING SLOT. From were gonna go GIANT SLOT to FAIRY TALE GRONK STORIES at TE to WE NEED ANOTHER SAFETY cause we just paid a guy 9 million to line up in the BOX.

It's really gotten PAST PATHETIC!!!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Your turning this into a SCIENCE EXPERIMENT!!!!!!

I have never really been on here advocating top end speed guys in the past. I thought J. Ross was a joke and didn't like DJ Moore either or Samuel.
I think Campbell will be special. He has natural football body movements and I've laid out over and over why I like him in Green and Gold.

If you don't that's fine. All I have seen on this forum for the most part is just about everyone making up every damn excuse why we don't need to invest in a potential GAME CHANGING SLOT. From were gonna go GIANT SLOT to FAIRY TALE GRONK STORIES at TE to WE NEED ANOTHER SAFETY cause we just paid a guy 9 million to line up in the BOX.

It's really gotten PAST PATHETIC!!!!!

Chill, Brandon. It's not personal.

You said that you don't know how you can go wrong taking speed/athleticism at WR high in the draft. That made me curious, so I went back and looked. You seemed put out that someone used a particular example, so I took a 10 year sample. That doesn't mean that Campbell will bust. It's not even an argument against him individually. It's just a cautionary tale about drafting guys high in the draft who possess traits but are raw in the position.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Chill, Brandon. It's not personal.

You said that you don't know how you can go wrong taking speed/athleticism at WR high in the draft. That made me curious, so I went back and looked. You seemed put out that someone used a particular example, so I took a 10 year sample. That doesn't mean that Campbell will bust. It's not even an argument against him individually. It's just a cautionary tale about drafting guys high in the draft who possess traits but are raw in the position.

There are just too many variables to dissect every single player on that list from team they went to and scheme and QB they had. We have never seen a player like Campbell play with Rodgers and it's about team we get one.

GIVE AARON RODGERS SOME ELITE WEAPONS AND HE WILL BRING US BACK A LOMBARDI!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are just too many variables to dissect every single player on that list from team they went to and scheme and QB they had. We have never seen a player like Campbell play with Rodgers and it's about team we get one.

GIVE AARON RODGERS SOME ELITE WEAPONS AND HE WILL BRING US BACK A LOMBARDI!

Absolutely the situations mattered for all of those guys. But that doesn't change the reality that using 1st round picks on receivers who are more traits than skills is risky. What you said was, "I don't really know how you overdraft speed and athleticism at receiver."

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm briefly joining the discussion and then I'm bouncing lol.

We have nine selections to go in the 2nd Round of @Dantés Mock Draft game. Campbell is still available.

In my own personal mock draft simulator, Campbell isn't even close to being ranked the best player available, he's actually the 20th.

BOOM!!!!

Gone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Absolutely the situations mattered for all of those guys. But that doesn't change the reality that using 1st round picks on receivers who are more traits than skills is risky. What you said was, "I don't really know how you overdraft speed and athleticism at receiver."

Here are the FACTS Dante.

The Packers have tried to get away with shopping in the later rounds for receivers for some time now and it's FAILED! I know we have people holding onto this hope that some of these young guys will shine but the chances based on past statistics says it isn't that likely to work out. DISCLAIMER- This does not mean I am rooting against our younger guys but just being realistic

The chances are much greater that a graded 1st round prospect such as Campbell will have a higher probability of being successful then our current re-treads. With the offense being where it is at and needing a serious boost it is time to OVERDRAFT SPEED AND ATHLETICISM and I don't think getting Campbell in the 20's to even be over drafting there.

We are running out of time and something needs to be done NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not next draft. Not next free agency. Not some pipe dream trade that will never happen. We need to target one NOW!

Last edited:

Latest posts