Packers will have over $17 million post Draft, how to use it?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of that to express your Janis mancrush????? I forgot he was on the roster.
That is so funny. I started skim reading and my eyes went right to Janis. I don't think there is cause for concern regarding an aggressive market looking to secure the services of JJ. I, as much as anyone, want the kid to blossom into a stud. However, I am starting to wonder if he is what he is at that point which is a really nice ST's gunner and forgettable WR. Who knows, maybe this is the year but I would have to think JJ has an awful lot to prove to the coaching staff and TT before the topic of extension is broached.

Out of all the returning non-starter WR's I am highest on Geronimo. He flashed in some key spots last year and with another off-season under his belt I believe this young man could really become a difference maker for us.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It hasn't been the same around here without you, Bill. Thread values declined markedly, although this will always been a bull market.

Glad to see you back in the saddle, buckaroo!

Thanks Bud.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In my opinion re-signing Burnett is the top priority out of the three players you mentioned.

The Packers could extend Rodgers' contract without increasing or even decreasing his cap hit over the next two seasons.

I don't feel confident about having only Montgomery, Michael and Jackson on the roster at running back. While Kerridge performed at a decent level in limited snaps last season I would prefer the Packers to add another decent RB to the depth chart instead of keeping two fullbacks.

I like Burnett, but given his age and position I would definitely have him as my final priority. He'll be 29 going into next season with a lot of miles on his body, and SS is one of the least important positions on the field.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I take it you have no idea who our defensive coordinator is otherwise you would have said most important.

It's the most important and thus in 12 years, they've invested three mid round picks and a one veteran contract in the position? That hardly adds up to me.

Burnett is very good at what he does, but as he ages and becomes less capable in coverage his value will diminish. I would be fine with bringing him back if the price is right, but he shouldn't be the priority.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's the most important and thus in 12 years, they've invested three mid round picks and a one veteran contract in the position? That hardly adds up to me.

Burnett is very good at what he does, but as he ages and becomes less capable in coverage his value will diminish. I would be fine with bringing him back if the price is right, but he shouldn't be the priority.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson draft a safety at all and I believe John Johnson would be the one targeted. Probably 3rd round.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also thinking that a safety is a very good possibility if he's the best player on Thompson's board.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like Burnett, but given his age and position I would definitely have him as my final priority. He'll be 29 going into next season with a lot of miles on his body, and SS is one of the least important positions on the field.

Burnett is an important part of the secondary and it seems the Packers want to move him even closer to the LOS this season as a hybrid linebacker/safety. If he excels in that role he should be a top priority to re-sign.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Burnett is an important part of the secondary and it seems the Packers want to move him even closer to the LOS this season as a hybrid linebacker/safety. If he excels in that role he should be a top priority to re-sign.

It's gonna come down to money. If Burnett wants a big contract then I could see his services not being retained for a player that will be pushing 30.

Also, you got Dix that you could move into that role. Brice is on the rise and like I posted they could bolster the group by drafting John Johnson. Randall could always end up at safety as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm not saying that he should not be retained, but I would place the value of his position squarely behind QB, Pass Rusher, Corner, Offensive Line, and Receiver. Thus I'm not going to make a guy like, especially given his age and mileage, my top priority.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's gonna come down to money. If Burnett wants a big contract then I could see his services not being retained for a player that will be pushing 30.

Also, you got Dix that you could move into that role. Brice is on the rise and like I posted they could bolster the group by drafting John Johnson. Randall could always end up at safety as well.

While it's possible Brice might turn into a decent player the Packers currently don't have any depth at safety behind Burnett and Clinton-Dix. Therefore I would prefer to re-sign both of them.

I'm not saying that he should not be retained, but I would place the value of his position squarely behind QB, Pass Rusher, Corner, Offensive Line, and Receiver. Thus I'm not going to make a guy like, especially given his age and mileage, my top priority.

I believe the safety position should be valued above the interior of the offensive line. While I agree that it is more essential for the Packers to retain Clinton-Dix and Adams ahead of Burnett I was only referring to the importance of the three players you listed in a previous post.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While it's possible Brice might turn into a decent player the Packers currently don't have any depth at safety behind Burnett and Clinton-Dix. Therefore I would prefer to re-sign both of them.

I believe the safety position should be valued above the interior of the offensive line. While I agree that it is more essential for the Packers to retain Clinton-Dix and Adams ahead of Burnett I was only referring to the importance of the three players you listed in a previous post.

I get what you meant. I'm just saying that I would prioritize signing younger, quality offensive linemen over an older SS. I differ in that I do rank the importance of iOL above SS-- especially given that quality OL are scarce and the league is fairly well starved for them. Whatever the case, it's a pretty small difference.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree if that indeed happens. If it doesn't one of the two safeties needs to be allowed to go elsewhere. We need a safety that can get to plays outside the numbers imo.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I get what you meant. I'm just saying that I would prioritize signing younger, quality offensive linemen over an older SS. I differ in that I do rank the importance of iOL above SS-- especially given that quality OL are scarce and the league is fairly well starved for them. Whatever the case, it's a pretty small difference.
You would. Ted won't. Last 4 starting centers were 5th, 4th rnd converted LT, over the hill UFA, and UDFA. Guard pos. was not much more.

D

Deleted member 6794

I differ in that I do rank the importance of iOL above SS-- especially given that quality OL are scarce and the league is fairly well starved for them. Whatever the case, it's a pretty small difference.

While it is pretty tough to find quality tackles I don't believe that's true for interior offensive linemen.

Agree if that indeed happens. If it doesn't one of the two safeties needs to be allowed to go elsewhere. We need a safety that can get to plays outside the numbers imo.

I would prefer the Packers not to risk lacking talent at safety once again like it happened for three years after Collins went down. As long as Burnett doesn't show any signs of slowing down he should be brought back.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While it is pretty tough to find quality tackles I don't believe that's true for interior offensive linemen.

I would prefer the Packers not to risk lacking talent at safety once again like it happened for three years after Collins went down. As long as Burnett doesn't show any signs of slowing down he should be brought back.

I think it's true. Green Bay has benefited from Thompson's ability to find quality OL, but there are many teams who have struggled for quite some time to find any semblance of competence, even on the inside. The Chargers, Seahawks, Colts, Jaguars, Dolphins, Vikings, Lions, and Browns come to mind as teams who currently are, or very recently were struggling consistently to find good iOL play. I think the market bears this out. I think the market bears this out-- look at what the top guards are getting vs. the strong safety types.

Again, not saying I'm against bringing him back. But at that position, at that age, and with that amount of wear on his body you have to be careful. You don't want to simply pay for past production.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You would. Ted won't. Last 4 starting centers were 5th, 4th rnd converted LT, over the hill UFA, and UDFA. Guard pos. was not much more.

He paid to keep both Sitton, Lang, and Wells on veteran contracts after their rookie deals ran out. We will see with Taylor and Linsley. But he's shown he will pay for iOL if they're quality.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it's true. Green Bay has benefited from Thompson's ability to find quality OL, but there are many teams who have struggled for quite some time to find any semblance of competence, even on the inside. The Chargers, Seahawks, Colts, Jaguars, Dolphins, Vikings, Lions, and Browns come to mind as teams who currently are, or very recently were struggling consistently to find good iOL play. I think the market bears this out. I think the market bears this out-- look at what the top guards are getting vs. the strong safety types.

Well, it seems that teams slightly value strong safeties more than interior offensive linemen as there are currently 33 guards and centers and 14 SS being paid more than $5 million a season.

D

Deleted member 6794

He paid to keep both Sitton, Lang, and Wells on veteran contracts after their rookie deals ran out. We will see with Taylor and Linsley. But he's shown he will pay for iOL if they're quality.

Taylor was already signed to a second contract last offseason.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, it seems that teams slightly value strong safeties more than interior offensive linemen as there are currently 33 guards and centers and 14 SS being paid more than $5 million a season.

I'm talking about what they get paid once they hit FA and their market value is set.

Guards have been coming in consistently higher.

For example, the Titans brought in Johnathan Cyprien for 4 years, 25M while the Broncos paid 4/36 for Ronald Leary.

Tony Jefferson, the premier SS of this last FA class, got a very healthy 4/34 from the Ravens. Kevin Zeitler, however, did significantly better at 5/60.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm talking about what they get paid once they hit FA and their market value is set.

Guards have been coming in consistently higher.

For example, the Titans brought in Johnathan Cyprien for 4 years, 25M while the Broncos paid 4/36 for Ronald Leary.

Tony Jefferson, the premier SS of this last FA class, got a very healthy 4/34 from the Ravens. Kevin Zeitler, however, did significantly better at 5/60.

Zeitler is an exception to the rule though as there are only two interior offensive linemen being paid more than $10 million a season while Reshad Jones is the only strong safety to get that kind of money.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Zeitler is an exception to the rule though as there are only two interior offensive linemen being paid more than $10 million a season while Reshad Jones is the only strong safety to get that kind of money.

He's not an exception so much as what really good guards will get now if they hit FA with the new, higher cap ceiling.

But my point is that when you compare comparable iOL and SS that hit the market, the former are consistently getting more money. That is due to scarcity and level of importance, which is driving value. I think the NFL is telling us how they stack these positions up with their $$$.