Packers will have over $17 million post Draft, how to use it?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I started reading this thread and saw the bets on how it would end up being a TT bashing thread and thought "it has an equal chance of becoming a Janis thread." So I would like to just put an end to all that and say....

"Fire Capers!"

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe those of you automatically expecting this thread to end up a 'TT bashing thread' should ask themselves why would that be?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Three reasons:

1. The average salaries have gone up and Rodgers has become underpaid.

2. I think it's in everyone's best interest to keep him happy and feeling valued.

3. If you get out ahead of it, you end up paying less in the long run.

4. You can tie it into an extension that needs to happen anyways.

That's my thinking.
What he said.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe those of you automatically expecting this thread to end up a 'TT bashing thread' should ask themselves why would that be?

Because 9/10 threads simply devolve into that. Based on a few different reasons but the most common being TT isn't aggressive enough. Valid points can be made sure but it's popping up in damn near every thread and is becoming overkill.

That said I'm expecting this to devolve into a Janis thread. Like WTF? Why would he be a priority to lock up early? Just damn

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because 9/10 threads simply devolve into that. Based on a few different reasons but the most common being TT isn't aggressive enough. Valid points can be made sure but it's popping up in damn near every thread and is becoming overkill.

That said I'm expecting this to devolve into a Janis thread. Like WTF? Why would he be a priority to lock up early? Just damn

It's JANIS, baby. He may not do much on the field, but he'll shatter every post and thread on this forum before he's done.
As for the Tedmeister, I can see your point about overkill, but he's brought it on himself.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I wasn`t trying to be argumentative, I just think he gets extremely well paid as it is, without enough success.
Don't want this thread to get too off track, but what quarterback that makes more money than Aaron Rodgers has had more success than him? A Super Bowl, two MVP's, and being universally recognized by 99% of the world as at least a top 2 quarterback in the NFL.

There are guys below him in pay like Eli who has 2 rings, but is rarely in the playoffs and has led the NFL in interceptions three different times. Big Ben has 2 rings, but is unreliable in staying healthy.

Tell Ted Thompson to put together a formidable defense and Aaron Rodgers will lead the Packers to much more success. :p ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Don't want this thread to get too off track, but what quarterback that makes more money than Aaron Rodgers has had more success than him? A Super Bowl, two MVP's, and being universally recognized by 99% of the world as at least a top 2 quarterback in the NFL.

There are guys below him in pay like Eli who has 2 rings, but is rarely in the playoffs and has led the NFL in interceptions three different times. Big Ben has 2 rings, but is unreliable in staying healthy.

Tell Ted Thompson to put together a formidable defense and Aaron Rodgers will lead the Packers to much more success. :p ;)

Actually that was sort of my point. I`d sooner give him the right tools than pay him more to fall at the final hurdle like we have done recently.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Actually that was sort of my point. I`d sooner give him the right tools than pay him more to fall at the final hurdle like we have done recently.
Understandable, but lets keep in mind that Thompson will yet again likely have tons of unused capspace. I get that if we pay Rodgers more that it will cut into that number, but it's not as if Thompson is aggressively stocking talent all over the roster with the available money he isn't spending.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think they should take the unused cap space and extend Thompson through the 2030 season.

Make him the highest paid GM of all time :). He deserves it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I'm off my phone and at a "real" computer I can properly answer the OP.
I know as fans we all get anxious and would like them (The Packers) to give us a better feel of being proactive. However, we know that is not often most likely not the case. It is one of the most frustrating factoids of being a Packer fan. So, look, I'm a little bored right now and I feel like ranting.
Now look, more will be revealed after the draft dust settles, but that's not for another 13 days.
I just want to see some MOVES made (like the Patriots)
snip. . .
Pulled out for easier editing:
"What I know
*I know that 2017's Cap Money will be compiled into the 2018's season Cap Money I figure $10-12m or so, 50-70% more than past seasons.
*Ted isn't going to touch HaHa's contract (b/c of the 5th year option) You may be correct here
*Expiring noteworthy contracts after 2017, Adams, Burnett, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis Janis is noteworthy?
*TT would have interest in extending Aaron Rodgers (UFA in 2020) Debatable but not a high priority ATM
*There will be at least one more FA signing post draft (cross fingers) May or may not
What would I like to see?
*Packers draft 8 HOF players in 2017 (aim high! LOL)
*Extend Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis (All worth doing now before the money inflates) Agree except for Janis. He's in a prove it year. Actually, so is Taylor. He can lose it. Don't be incompetent and he'll be back.
*Sign ADDITIONAL key veteran contributors @ RB, LB, CB, G positioning the Packers for dominance If you draft 8 future HOFers, why would you need to sign anyone?
*Win the Super Bowl every year Aaron has in his career (why not?)
*Tom Brady plays til he's 50, why so Aaron Rodgers can beat him in the SB every year until he retires
*Skip Bayless cries himself to sleep every night knowing Rodgers is the GOAT
What am I expecting to Happen?
*Packers draft some surprise position with their first pick (like S, QB, DL, OT) DL wouldn't be much of a surprise. With 2 safety FAs next season, neither would that spot. Anything on offense basically would be. A true surprise would be punter. :eek:
*Address their most concerning needs with the remaining draft picks (DB, G, RB, LB) I still believe the guard position was addressed last year. Or developed on the PS. 4 RB slots available. We have Monty, Michel, and 2 FBs. Spots are filled. Anyone acquired needs to beat out one of those four.
*Pickup a ton of UDFA's in positions of concerning needs (DB, G, RB, LB) 27 roster spots available right now. Time for Ted's annual cattle call.
*Sign a few (one) "Bargain" veteran/practice squad-ish FA's (like a Robert Turbin or Khiry Robinson) Ted might actually be done except for a post June 1 cap release. Not expected though.
*Slow start to reg season Has nothing to do with salary at this point. More to do with MMs coaching style and getting young players more playing time early in the season. He tends to lean more on the older players during the second half of the season if they aren't the walking wounded.
*Make playoffs Can't win it if you ain't in it.
*Lose in playoffs Always a risk
*Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis all not extended or unsigned in 2018 Unless Taylor or Linsley choke big time or want the moon, I expect both back. Adams may get to play the FA game. Burnett most likely resigned after the SB. Janis may not make the roster this season. Bubble boy.
*Rodgers says again, "we have to go all in every year" Hopefully he's saying, "I like this new ring. Next year we look like we can repeat."

H

HardRightEdge

I started reading this thread and saw the bets on how it would end up being a TT bashing thread and thought "it has an equal chance of becoming a Janis thread." So I would like to just put an end to all that and say....

"Fire Capers!"
Now you're talkin'.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I'm off my phone and at a "real" computer I can properly answer the OP.

Pulled out for easier editing:
"What I know
*I know that 2017's Cap Money will be compiled into the 2018's season Cap Money I figure $10-12m or so, 50-70% more than past seasons.
*Ted isn't going to touch HaHa's contract (b/c of the 5th year option) You may be correct here
*Expiring noteworthy contracts after 2017, Adams, Burnett, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis Janis is noteworthy?
*TT would have interest in extending Aaron Rodgers (UFA in 2020) Debatable but not a high priority ATM
*There will be at least one more FA signing post draft (cross fingers) May or may not
What would I like to see?
*Packers draft 8 HOF players in 2017 (aim high! LOL)
*Extend Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis (All worth doing now before the money inflates) Agree except for Janis. He's in a prove it year. Actually, so is Taylor. He can lose it. Don't be incompetent and he'll be back.
*Sign ADDITIONAL key veteran contributors @ RB, LB, CB, G positioning the Packers for dominance If you draft 8 future HOFers, why would you need to sign anyone?
*Win the Super Bowl every year Aaron has in his career (why not?)
*Tom Brady plays til he's 50, why so Aaron Rodgers can beat him in the SB every year until he retires
*Skip Bayless cries himself to sleep every night knowing Rodgers is the GOAT
What am I expecting to Happen?
*Packers draft some surprise position with their first pick (like S, QB, DL, OT) DL wouldn't be much of a surprise. With 2 safety FAs next season, neither would that spot. Anything on offense basically would be. A true surprise would be punter. :eek:
*Address their most concerning needs with the remaining draft picks (DB, G, RB, LB) I still believe the guard position was addressed last year. Or developed on the PS. 4 RB slots available. We have Monty, Michel, and 2 FBs. Spots are filled. Anyone acquired needs to beat out one of those four.
*Pickup a ton of UDFA's in positions of concerning needs (DB, G, RB, LB) 27 roster spots available right now. Time for Ted's annual cattle call.
*Sign a few (one) "Bargain" veteran/practice squad-ish FA's (like a Robert Turbin or Khiry Robinson) Ted might actually be done except for a post June 1 cap release. Not expected though.
*Slow start to reg season Has nothing to do with salary at this point. More to do with MMs coaching style and getting young players more playing time early in the season. He tends to lean more on the older players during the second half of the season if they aren't the walking wounded.
*Make playoffs Can't win it if you ain't in it.
*Lose in playoffs Always a risk
*Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis all not extended or unsigned in 2018 Unless Taylor or Linsley choke big time or want the moon, I expect both back. Adams may get to play the FA game. Burnett most likely resigned after the SB. Janis may not make the roster this season. Bubble boy.
*Rodgers says again, "we have to go all in every year" Hopefully he's saying, "I like this new ring. Next year we look like we can repeat."
Pretty much sums things up the way I see them too with what I expect to happen. With 27 open roster spots I expect to see more signings from the large pool of availables.

D

Deleted member 6794

Explore extensions for the following in order of priority and see if we can get something done team friendly: Linsley, Taylor, and Burnett.

In my opinion re-signing Burnett is the top priority out of the three players you mentioned.

Understandable, but lets keep in mind that Thompson will yet again likely have tons of unused capspace. I get that if we pay Rodgers more that it will cut into that number, but it's not as if Thompson is aggressively stocking talent all over the roster with the available money he isn't spending.

The Packers could extend Rodgers' contract without increasing or even decreasing his cap hit over the next two seasons.

I still believe the guard position was addressed last year. Or developed on the PS. 4 RB slots available. We have Monty, Michel, and 2 FBs. Spots are filled. Anyone acquired needs to beat out one of those four.

I don't feel confident about having only Montgomery, Michael and Jackson on the roster at running back. While Kerridge performed at a decent level in limited snaps last season I would prefer the Packers to add another decent RB to the depth chart instead of keeping two fullbacks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pretty much sums things up the way I see them too with what I expect to happen. With 27 open roster spots I expect to see more signings from the large pool of availables.

Most of the free agents that are or will be available until the start of the season don't present a significant upgrade over the ones currently on the roster though.