Packers will have over $17 million post Draft, how to use it?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know as fans we all get anxious and would like them (The Packers) to give us a better feel of being proactive. However, we know that is not often most likely not the case. It is one of the most frustrating factoids of being a Packer fan. So, look, I'm a little bored right now and I feel like ranting.

What I know
  • I know that 2017's Cap Money will be compiled into the 2018's season Cap Money
  • Ted isn't going to touch HaHa's contract (b/c of the 5th year option)
  • Expiring noteworthy contracts after 2017, Adams, Burnett, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis
  • TT would have interest in extending Aaron Rodgers (UFA in 2020)
  • There will be at least one more FA signing post draft (cross fingers)
What would I like to see?
  1. Packers draft 8 HOF players in 2017 (aim high! LOL)
  2. Extend Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis (All worth doing now before the money inflates)
  3. Sign ADDITIONAL key veteran contributors @ RB, LB, CB, G positioning the Packers for dominance
  4. Win the Super Bowl every year Aaron has in his career (why not?)
  5. Tom Brady plays til he's 50, why so Aaron Rodgers can beat him in the SB every year until he retires
  6. Skip Bayless cries himself to sleep every night knowing Rodgers is the GOAT
What am I expecting to Happen?
  • Packers draft some surprise position with their first pick (like S, QB, DL, OT)
  • Address their most concerning needs with the remaining draft picks (DB, G, RB, LB)
  • Pickup a ton of UDFA's in positions of concerning needs (DB, G, RB, LB)
  • Sign a few (one) "Bargain" veteran/practice squad-ish FA's (like a Robert Turbin or Khiry Robinson)
  • Slow start to reg season
  • Make playoffs
  • Lose in playoffs
  • Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis all not extended or unsigned in 2018
  • Rodgers says again, "we have to go all in every year"
Now look, more will be revealed after the draft dust settles, but that's not for another 13 days.

I just want to see some MOVES made (like the Patriots)

Check out the links below for some additional information on what's available in Free Agency and what contracts are ending.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/available/

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know as fans we all get anxious and would like them (The Packers) to give us a better feel of being proactive. However, we know that is not often most likely not the case. It is one of the most frustrating factoids of being a Packer fan. So, look, I'm a little bored right now and I feel like ranting.

What I know
  • I know that 2017's Cap Money will be compiled into the 2018's season Cap Money
  • Ted isn't going to touch HaHa's contract (b/c of the 5th year option)
  • Expiring noteworthy contracts after 2017, Adams, Burnett, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis
  • TT would have interest in extending Aaron Rodgers (UFA in 2020)
  • There will be at least one more FA signing post draft (cross fingers)
What would I like to see?
  1. Packers draft 8 HOF players in 2017 (aim high! LOL)
  2. Extend Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis (All worth doing now before the money inflates)
  3. Sign ADDITIONAL key veteran contributors @ RB, LB, CB, G positioning the Packers for dominance
  4. Win the Super Bowl every year Aaron has in his career (why not?)
  5. Tom Brady plays til he's 50, why so Aaron Rodgers can beat him in the SB every year until he retires
  6. Skip Bayless cries himself to sleep every night knowing Rodgers is the GOAT
What am I expecting to Happen?
  • Packers draft some surprise position with their first pick (like S, QB, DL, OT)
  • Address their most concerning needs with the remaining draft picks (DB, G, RB, LB)
  • Pickup a ton of UDFA's in positions of concerning needs (DB, G, RB, LB)
  • Sign a few (one) "Bargain" veteran/practice squad-ish FA's (like a Robert Turbin or Khiry Robinson)
  • Slow start to reg season
  • Make playoffs
  • Lose in playoffs
  • Adams, Lane Taylor, Linsley, Janis all not extended or unsigned in 2018
  • Rodgers says again, "we have to go all in every year"
Now look, more will be revealed after the draft dust settles, but that's not for another 13 days.

I just want to see some MOVES made (like the Patriots)

Check out the links below for some additional information on what's available in Free Agency and what contracts are ending.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/available/

Pretty good post, although I don't get the Janis love. He's an occasional gadget player and special teamer - I'd offer league minimum and he can take it or leave it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Five'll get you ten this turns into another predominantly bash Ted thread by page two. And there will be nothing new added.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
page 2? ye of little faith. you must be new around here, i'm giving it 2 more posts :)

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of that to express your Janis mancrush????? I forgot he was on the roster.

I DOUBT you forgot Janis is on the roster.

Yea, I like me some Janis and my man-crush is in his special teams play, he is a liability as a WR. 4th year in and he still can't be trusted to be the 5th string WR.

This was not focused on Janis at all. I just think we've had solid special teams for maybe 2 years in a row. A lot of that has to do with Janis as both gunner & returner. It wasn't too long ago when our ST truly sucked.

D

Deleted member 6794

I DOUBT you forgot Janis is on the roster.

Yea, I like me some Janis and my man-crush is in his special teams play, he is a liability as a WR. 4th year in and he still can't be trusted to be the 5th string WR.

This was not focused on Janis at all. I just think we've had solid special teams for maybe 2 years in a row. A lot of that has to do with Janis as both gunner & returner. It wasn't too long ago when our ST truly sucked.

Janis mostly performed average at best on special teams last season.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that was true in 2015 he didn't perform at that level last season.

Albeit, he is OUR best Gunner, worth keeping around. Yes at a low contract #.

Even Bush had "value" on the Packers, for a while too! I don't know many fans that liked Bush, but he was worth keeping around for ST & stepped in BIG in SB45

D

Deleted member 6794

Albeit, he is OUR best Gunner, worth keeping around. Yes at a low contract #.

I think that there's no reason to lose any sleep over Janis' contract situation. I would be fine with bringing him back on a minimum deal but don't care if the Packers let him walk away in free agency after next season. FWIW I'm not even convinced he will make the 53 in 2017.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If it's me, I do the following:

1. Attempt to sign Jason McCourty

2. Give AR a nice raise

3. Do extensions for Adams and Clinton-Dix

4. Explore extensions for the following in order of priority and see if we can get something done team friendly: Linsley, Taylor, and Burnett.

Then you have the rookie contracts and you want a cushion going into the season.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I've been on the Janis bandwagon for 3 yrs, hoping he would finally get better. However, for 2017, I have officially abandoned that wagon. He needs to move on to his true passion and be a professional hunter/fisherman.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If it's me, I do the following:

1. Attempt to sign Jason McCourty

2. Give AR a nice raise

3. Do extensions for Adams and Clinton-Dix

4. Explore extensions for the following in order of priority and see if we can get something done team friendly: Linsley, Taylor, and Burnett.

Then you have the rookie contracts and you want a cushion going into the season.

I`m just curious here, but why give AR a nice raise ? He gets paid well enough as it is.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I`m just curious here, but why give AR a nice raise ? He gets paid well enough as it is.
Whether he gets a nice raise or stays the same or takes a pay cut, you do whatever the man wants.

Last thing the Packers need to do is risk pissing off #12. ;)

Good to see ya, buggy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Three reasons:

1. The average salaries have gone up and Rodgers has become underpaid.

2. I think it's in everyone's best interest to keep him happy and feeling valued.

3. If you get out ahead of it, you end up paying less in the long run.

4. You can tie it into an extension that needs to happen anyways.

That's my thinking.

Members online

Latest posts