Packers want to speed up offense

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm optimistic about the OL but here's the concern: Tretter hasn't made a snap in an NFL game. If Linsley is his backup and main competition, he hasn't either. If neither work out it's probably Lang who will be switched to OC and that "musical chairs" wouldn't be a good idea IMO. You expressed the concern at RT: "I'm just crossing my fingers Bulaga doesn't have another freak injury." (BTW, I thought Sherrod suffered a freak injury, why do you think Bulaga's was?) If Bulaga gets hurt again, it's probably Barclay at RT. He led the team in pressures allowed - not good particularly at RT. I think Bakhtiari did very well, particularly for a 4th round pick being thrown into the starting LT job. But he has to improve and I expect he will. But that's not a certainty. As to depth, if the starters are Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, and Bulaga, who except Barclay is proven depth? I hope Barclay doesn't have to start but I do think he provides good depth. But if they're "deep and good", who else are you looking at for depth? Sherrod is a questionmark and here's the rest of the OL roster: Linsley, McCray, Taylor, Tiller, Adams, Fullington, and Vujnovich.

As I posted, I too am optimistic but I think there's reason for legitimate concern.

Well he got hurt on family night which is not when you expect a guy to get hurt. I am not questioning the actual injury. Sure, there are questions going into the season but you have to feel better about the unit as a whole going into training camp then previous years. Bakhtiari for example played in I think 17 games by default as a rookie. He has added some quality weight and is stronger which will help him anchor. Bulaga is in a contract year and was a highly rated Tackle before the injuries. We have one of the best guard Tandems in the NFL. All I have heard is nothing but great things about Tretter.

I know Sherrod is a big question mark but he is healthy and I can't see him being any worse then Newhouse. How many teams have a back up young first round draft pick as depth at swing tackle? Barclay is good depth. He is a decent run blocker. Lindsey is a rookie. Let's just see how it plays out.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm optimistic about the OL but here's the concern: Tretter hasn't made a snap in an NFL game. If Linsley is his backup and main competition, he hasn't either. If neither work out it's probably Lang who will be switched to OC and that "musical chairs" wouldn't be a good idea IMO. You expressed the concern at RT: "I'm just crossing my fingers Bulaga doesn't have another freak injury." (BTW, I thought Sherrod suffered a freak injury, why do you think Bulaga's was?) If Bulaga gets hurt again, it's probably Barclay at RT. He led the team in pressures allowed - not good particularly at RT. I think Bakhtiari did very well, particularly for a 4th round pick being thrown into the starting LT job. But he has to improve and I expect he will. But that's not a certainty. As to depth, if the starters are Bakhtiari, Sitton, Tretter, Lang, and Bulaga, who except Barclay is proven depth? I hope Barclay doesn't have to start but I do think he provides good depth. But if they're "deep and good", who else are you looking at for depth? Sherrod is a questionmark and here's the rest of the OL roster: Linsley, McCray, Taylor, Tiller, Adams, Fullington, and Vujnovich.

As I posted, I too am optimistic but I think there's reason for legitimate concern.

I am really not worried about the center position. The concern here is Clinton-Dix coming into the NFL and being able to play at a high level as a rookie. I think that's the big question mark. Not the Center position.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Ivy league school does not always mean you are/were smart. Let's face it, they didn't apply to that school and get accepted to become a lawyer. They were offered to come there to play FOOTBALL. Hell, take a look at richard sherman, an Ivy League guy..... I would figure him to have learned some respect, speaking abilities, and generally have mannors about himself.....but NO.... he is a loud mouth show boat who can hardly form complete sentence structure when speaking. He has little self control and has no refinement. You can take him out of the hood, but you cant take the hood out of him. Ivy league does not make him some Einstein.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ivy league school does not always mean you are/were smart. Let's face it, they didn't apply to that school and get accepted to become a lawyer. They were offered to come there to play FOOTBALL. Hell, take a look at richard sherman, an Ivy League guy..... I would figure him to have learned some respect, speaking abilities, and generally have mannors about himself.....but NO.... he is a loud mouth show boat who can hardly form complete sentence structure when speaking. He has little self control and has no refinement. You can take him out of the hood, but you cant take the hood out of him. Ivy league does not make him some Einstein.

Stanford

Stanford isn't ivy league. Completely different deal.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
brandon2348, as I posted, I too am optimistic. I was just trying to convey why some others aren't and I do think there's reason for concern. For example, I think it's premature to call the OL "deep".

The difference between Tretter and Clinton-Dix is the former is the starter and the later lined up at second-team safety throughout OTAs and minicamp. I expect C-D to start but he doesn't have to, Hyde can.

Unfortunately injuries can happen in non-contact drills so I don't consider Bulaga's injury a freak one - though it's not a big deal either way. BTW, IIRC Tretter got hurt in a fumble recovery drill in TC!

With regard to which school any of them attended, IMO football smarts is different than academic smarts. Case in point: The success of many SEC schools generally and the success of their "students" in the NFL. (Kinda kidding by putting students in quotes, that applies to more than the SEC.)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
brandon2348, as I posted, I too am optimistic. I was just trying to convey why some others aren't and I do think there's reason for concern. For example, I think it's premature to call the OL "deep".

The difference between Tretter and Clinton-Dix is the former is the starter and the later lined up at second-team safety throughout OTAs and minicamp. I expect C-D to start but he doesn't have to, Hyde can.

Unfortunately injuries can happen in non-contact drills so I don't consider Bulaga's injury a freak one - though it's not a big deal either way. BTW, IIRC Tretter got hurt in a fumble recovery drill in TC!

With regard to which school any of them attended, IMO football smarts is different than academic smarts. Case in point: The success of many SEC schools generally and the success of their "students" in the NFL. (Kinda kidding by putting students in quotes, that applies to more than the SEC.)

Hyde hasn't played any free safety either but yes he did get playing time in slot. He hasnt proven he can play free safety which requires much more skill and reading things then where he played last year.. I understand football smarts vs books smarts. Ivy league guys do tend to be "high character guys". McCarthy and Campen obviously think Tretter is capable otherwise they would of signed EDS. I'm gonna trust them. Like I shared I am very excited about the offensive line and we will see what happens soon. A lot of people are already writing off Sherrod and he is still very young and could prove to be something good.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Ivy League doesn't allow athletic scholarships, so Tretter for sure wasn't offered anything to play football there.

Here's a very interesting article about Sherman: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/01/21/the-scary-smart-of-richard-sherman/

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Ivy League doesn't allow athletic scholarships, so Tretter for sure wasn't offered anything to play football there.

Here's a very interesting article about Sherman: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/01/21/the-scary-smart-of-richard-sherman/

Sherman is smart. He is an above average corner that has capitalized a super bowl run and an amazing front seven into millions of dollars. I really can't wait to see what he does this year with the "legion of boom rule" and a D-line that has probably taken a step back.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI Tretter played at Cornell, being from an Ivy League school I expect him to be smart nonetheless.
Smart is fine; can he play football? Nobody knows at this point. With the best QB in the game under him he better be able to.....If the o line coach were as good as Beightol I would have little concern.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Ivy League has been active in awarding grants (not loans) for "needy" students. 13% of these needy students in 2011 happened to be athletes on coach's lists, which allows the Ivy League to compete with everyone else for premier athletes. I have no idea whether Tretter received aid, but if he didn't it was because his parents could afford the cost of an Ivy League education. Otherwise, he received "something" to play football, just like most elite athletes.

I'm sure he's very bright, but so was Einstein, and he couldn't play center as far as I know. Remember, the same brain trust is in charge that annointed Allen Barbre as starting R tackle in 2009. Thankfully, he was relieved of his duties early in the season before Rogers was killed. Hopefully, our 2014 starting center has a better Packers career.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Sherman is smart. He is an above average corner that has capitalized a super bowl run and an amazing front seven into millions of dollars. I really can't wait to see what he does this year with the "legion of boom rule" and a D-line that has probably taken a step back.

I agree about him being a good corner, but when he opens his mouth proves how much of a real moron he is. He is a **** poor example of what would normally come out of a highly reguarded college. He falls right into the old saying: Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Ivy League has been active in awarding grants (not loans) for "needy" students. 13% of these needy students in 2011 happened to be athletes on coach's lists, which allows the Ivy League to compete with everyone else for premier athletes. I have no idea whether Tretter received aid, but if he didn't it was because his parents could afford the cost of an Ivy League education. Otherwise, he received "something" to play football, just like most elite athletes.

Not sure the Ivy League teams, which play in the FCS, garner a lot of attention from elite players.

I'm sure he's very bright, but so was Einstein, and he couldn't play center as far as I know. Remember, the same brain trust is in charge that annointed Allen Barbre as starting R tackle in 2009. Thankfully, he was relieved of his duties early in the season before Rogers was killed. Hopefully, our 2014 starting center has a better Packers career.

I agree that being smart doesn´t mean Tretter will be able to play center at the NFL level, it helps though IMO. We haven´t seen him play a single snap so far so all we can do is trust McCarthy and his staff.