Packers-Vikings

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's never too early to start talking about rivalry games.

The Vikings shouldn't be 0-2 right now. True that they had to play two divisional opponents to start off the season, but the Lions and Bears are winnable games for the 2012 Vikings. Maybe this is a signal about the 2013 Vikings? I don't know. What should scare Viking fans is the upcoming schedule. After the gimme (maybe not) versus the Browns, they play a slumping Steelers team in London, then their BYE, the Panthers....and then it gets ugly.

The Vikings play:
@ New York
vs Green Bay
@ Dallas
vs Washington
@ Seattle
@ Green Bay
vs Chicago
@ Baltimore
vs Philadelphia
@ Cincinnati

That is a TOUGH schedule. AP isn't torching defenses like last year and Ponder is Ponder. Jennings and the other receivers aren't doing much and the defense, while still good, seems a step slower. I see Packer domination in both games but am now starting to think that the Vikings will be watching the division unfold from the bottom of the heap.

Thoughts? Piling on?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings will again have a top-5 draft pick next year.
They will be drafting another 1st Rd QB.
Like Ponder.
When they could have had Kaepernick later.

D

Dan115

It's never too early to start talking about rivalry games.

The Vikings shouldn't be 0-2 right now. True that they had to play two divisional opponents to start off the season, but the Lions and Bears are winnable games for the 2012 Vikings. Maybe this is a signal about the 2013 Vikings? I don't know. What should scare Viking fans is the upcoming schedule. After the gimme (maybe not) versus the Browns, they play a slumping Steelers team in London, then their BYE, the Panthers....and then it gets ugly.

The Vikings play:
@ New York
vs Green Bay
@ Dallas
vs Washington
@ Seattle
@ Green Bay
vs Chicago
@ Baltimore
vs Philadelphia
@ Cincinnati

That is a TOUGH schedule. AP isn't torching defenses like last year and Ponder is Ponder. Jennings and the other receivers aren't doing much and the defense, while still good, seems a step slower. I see Packer domination in both games but am now starting to think that the Vikings will be watching the division unfold from the bottom of the heap.

Thoughts? Piling on?

The vikes have a lot of substance I have been told.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
First lets get this straight. Two division opponents on the road. No other team in the NFC was tasked with the same scheduling. No other NFL team was asked to play two division opponents on the road to open the season. Both games were winnable. The Bears they should have won. But it is what it is. They are still only one game back of the Packers.

Second. Peterson has 49 more yards the first two games in 2013 then he did in 2012. Also Felton, his lead blocker is currently on suspension for being stupid.

Third. In the all the years the Vikings have played, they have picked in the top 5 due to their win/loss record exactly twice. Not like it is something that happens all the time. They have never had the number one pick due to record.

Fourth. The Vikings defense is giving up less yards per game then the Packers defense. But don't worry, the Vikings D is getting old. Just like in the past 8 years. Hell they should be ready for Social Security by now.

Fifth. They could have picked different QB. Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy several year past the draft to say a team should have picked a particular player. If you know so much. Tell us who the next HOF QB will be in the 2014 draft. Not like the Packers have drafted top notch backups the last 6 years.

Sixth. It's a long season, anything can happen. The Vikings play the same teams as the Packers, only the Vikings play in Seattle and at home against Carolina. I would be willing to beat the Seattle game will be tough. Sure it will be tougher than the Niner game Green Bay played in San Fran.

But it's okay. Tell me, when does the comparison thread come out for the Lions and Bears? Or are you only worried about the Vikings?

I wonder if this will hold up.

"Minnesota Vikings: In 2012, Christian Ponder had just 269 passing yards from deep passes, which was second-lowest in the league. In 2013 he already has 151 passing yards on deep passes, which is fourth in the league."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/17/32-observations-week-2-2/

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

First lets get this straight. Two division opponents on the road. No other team in the NFC was tasked with the same scheduling. No other NFL team was asked to play two division opponents on the road to open the season. Both games were winnable. The Bears they should have won. But it is what it is. They are still only one game back of the Packers.

Second. Peterson has 49 more yards the first two games in 2013 then he did in 2012. Also Felton, his lead blocker is currently on suspension for being stupid.

Third. In the all the years the Vikings have played, they have picked in the top 5 due to their win/loss record exactly twice. Not like it is something that happens all the time. They have never had the number one pick due to record.

Fourth. The Vikings defense is giving up less yards per game then the Packers defense. But don't worry, the Vikings D is getting old. Just like in the past 8 years. Hell they should be ready for Social Security by now.

Fifth. They could have picked different QB. Hindsight is 20/20. It's easy several year past the draft to say a team should have picked a particular player. If you know so much. Tell us who the next HOF QB will be in the 2014 draft. Not like the Packers have drafted top notch backups the last 6 years.

Sixth. It's a long season, anything can happen. The Vikings play the same teams as the Packers, only the Vikings play in Seattle and at home against Carolina. I would be willing to beat the Seattle game will be tough. Sure it will be tougher than the Niner game Green Bay played in San Fran.

But it's okay. Tell me, when does the comparison thread come out for the Lions and Bears? Or are you only worried about the Vikings?

"Minnesota Vikings: In 2012, Christian Ponder had just 269 passing yards from deep passes, which was second-lowest in the league. In 2013 he already has 151 passing yards on deep passes, which is fourth in the league."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to draw conclusions. Vikings should have beaten the Bears. I just don't buy the Bears being the #2 team in the NFC North, or #1 according to some sports commentators FFS.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Too early to draw conclusions. Vikings should have beaten the Bears. I just don't buy the Bears being the #2 team in the NFC North, or #1 according to some sports commentators FFS.

woulda,shoulda,coulda.......but they didnt. Bears have a new found sense of life with their new coach. Their D is good and they have shown improvement on offense. They will be tougher than the last several years past.

Reaction score
"Vikings should have beat the Bears" ?? Maybe, if the Vikings would have played better and the Bears played poorly.
I think the Bears are the better team. It starts with the QB. Believe me, I am NOT a Cutler fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he is a better QB than Ponder. Now, I am not saying the QB is EVERYTHING, but it sure doesn't hurt to have one that can comprehend the game. Ponder does not.
I worry about all the teams that the Packers are going to play, not just the Vikings. Anything can happen during the course of the game.

crefan53

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you know in 2005 the Vikings had the opportunity to draft Aaron Rodgers not once but twice.
But instead opted for two studs in Troy Williamson and Erasmus James.
Hindsight being 20/20 of course. Oops:p

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol Greg Jennings is still bitter i see. I have respect for the guy and thought he was our best Wr but he's getting annoying.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings is stirring to pot once again?

It's really bizarre, on ESPN2 last night there was a show about the GB/Pit Superbowl where they talked about the big plays and interviewed guys from both teams about their thoughts on the plays. When talking to GJ he seemed like such a team guy and such a "Packers" guy, talking about how great it was to play with AR and everything.

I'd really like to know what happened to him that made him loathe AR and the Pack so much. Was it just because they weren't willing to fight for him and pay him every nickel he wanted? Was it really because he wasn't getting the ball enough? It just seems like something bigger must have happened behind close doors. It's disappointing really, especially after watching those SB highlights.

I actually find what he's doing to be more offensive than the things Favre did after leaving the Packers.

Last edited:

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope GJ enjoys not winning any more super bowl rings. Stuck with the vikings, he is exactly where he deserves to be. F U G J.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really bizarre, on ESPN2 last night there was a show about the GB/Pit Superbowl where they talked about the big plays and interviewed guys from both teams about their thoughts on the plays.
I watched most of that too - wish that I would have recorded it faster since it's not scheduled to be on again anytime soon. I'd never heard any of those interviews with the players about the game. I thought about Jennings too. He seemed so genuine. He and Rodgers joking around and smiling around one another. Then again, it's easy to be that way when you're in the Super Bowl.

This thread wasn't meant to pick on the Vikings. Since I live in the great state of Minnesota and am married to one of its noble ladies, I do have an affinity for talking about them. Admittedly, I thought that they would start 2012 0-5 but was pleasantly surprised. I also thought that they would start off this season at least 1-1 but probably 2-0. The only thing that saved Ponder against the Bears was that someone lit a fire under his butt in the second half. As the Superstar Mike Morris said in the postgame, it was as if someone told Ponder that his job was on the line and he decided to start flinging the ball around Brett Favre style. What Frazier has said is true, all Ponder really lacks is consistency. He can make the throws, he just hasn't all that often.

I have no doubts about the importance of Felton. I bet co-workers that AP would be held under 100 yards in Week 1. I was told I was crazy, and thought I was doomed when he ripped off a 78 yard run to start the game. But I earned free lunches when he went 17 carries for 15 yards afterward. I knew how important Felton was to AP's game, not a lot of the folks that I talked to did. It further highlights how underappreciated good fullbacks are in the league.

The Vikings still have a good defense for sure. Harrison Smith is a cool safety and I like Xavier Rhodes so far, but there is still some old legs out there. I'll stand behind that statement. I also truly believe that the Vikings are leaving better talent off the field in the case of Marvin Mitchell over Bishop. Bishop brings the punishing attitude to the LB position that is needed.

I thought that the Vikings overachieved in 2012. Most fans not intoxicated by the Purple Koolaid tend to agree with that assessment. I actually thought (and still do to a degree) that they could match their 2012 record this season and not call it overachieving, since I think that they upgraded at receiver and have matured in the defensive backfield. It's Ponder, Ponder, Ponder, who controls the leash though.

crefan53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The next question that comes to mind is how long will the Vikings wait until they ask Jennings to take a pay cut for his lack of production?

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings is stirring to pot once again?

According to http://fansided.com/2013/09/18/greg-jennings-signs-helmet-packers-suck-photo/
Being over in Green Bay, you’re brainwashed to think anyone in the division is tiers below. (...) ‘It’s like everything that you know in Green Bay is like the best, the best, the best, the best, the best,” Jennings said. “And it’s like total brainwashing.”

Uh.... ya think?? With that attitude it sounds like dodged a bullet. What did he expect, a bunch of handholding and character validation? "Vikings are people too and they have every right to be on this field as we do, now let's get out there and have some fun"?

(Also it's not brainwashing if it's true :D )

Last edited:

crefan53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ben Goessling
@GoesslingESPN
Greg Jennings said he wasn't getting into the "Packers suck" autograph. Didn't say it was false when asked, though.

3:20pm · 18 Sep 13 · Echofon

Members online

Latest posts