Packers to sign Za'darius Smith

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They just gave Lewis 4 Mill. Maybe in the 4th or 5th round on a flyer. Tonyan is our development TE. Deal with it!

We don't even have a legit number 2 and your still mumbling about TE's with 3 signed.

Unreal

Where did you see that they gave Lewis $4 million? Just curious, since I haven’t been able to find any details on his contract

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's an answer. Draft a TE, and I don't mean Day 3.

Here's what's wrong with Graham:

- He's aging.
- He had minor injuries last season that also come with age. It's not going to get better.
- He dropped more balls than you would expect from an "elite" TE.
- Perhaps more than drops, where you would have expected Graham to perform well was on contested balls. That didn't happen. Some folks call those drops. Call 'em what uou like. You're not going to get the red zone productivity that was expected in the first place without winning contests.
- This next point is controversial, but he does not run creative routes, which in the NFL means "not good routes". He was painting by numbers in the world according to Rodgers. How could that be from a guy with this resume? He won on athleticism in the past that has eroded.
- He's an inconsitent blocker which in the NFL means he's a lousy blocker.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player. It means he's not elite or "very good". It means he's decent but not worth the money and is replaceable.

Would it be possible to trade Graham and avoid paying him? I agree with your points on him and I certainly thought GB with an "elite" TE was going to put on a show last year, but there were many issues preventing that from actually happening.

And I happen to agree that just because they signed Lewis and didn't cut Graham isn't taking a TE off the board in the first 3 picks. I think Graham and Lewis can be two players that help develop the next guy as each have specific tools that I don't think each of them share much of. Lewis blocking and Graham's ability to score (that we have not seen in GB yet)

In a perfect world, can we hope that Rodgers and Graham show some signs of promise and move him after the season? Or are there still cap implications with him?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would it be possible to trade Graham and avoid paying him? I agree with your points on him and I certainly thought GB with an "elite" TE was going to put on a show last year, but there were many issues preventing that from actually happening.

And I happen to agree that just because they signed Lewis and didn't cut Graham isn't taking a TE off the board in the first 3 picks. I think Graham and Lewis can be two players that help develop the next guy as each have specific tools that I don't think each of them share much of. Lewis blocking and Graham's ability to score (that we have not seen in GB yet)

In a perfect world, can we hope that Rodgers and Graham show some signs of promise and move him after the season? Or are there still cap implications with him?

Who's gonna trade for an old declining TE on a large contract?

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's gonna trade for an old declining TE on a large contract?

I'm aware that it isn't that easy, and as I said, in a perfect world can we hope that Graham shows signs of his previous life, and they move him without cap issues? I know the world isn't perfect place so I am not expecting that. Chances are he is cut next year and we draft his replacement this year.

But if somehow they find a suitor, hypothetically, New England though BB likes TE's that block. Could getting a 5th rounder for him off a good year clear the same room as cutting? Or would they be held accountable for X amount of his salary to where it would be more beneficial to cut him?

I am ignorant to how the inner workings of contracts work. Merely throwing noodles at the wall and seeing if something sticks.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine. He is on the fringe of medicority at 62. Something.

I really hope he and these other guys work out and I'm glad the Packers actually did something.

I just don't see any of this as a slam dunk.

Its clear they took a shot on these guys because there younger but there all getting there first big contract.

Certainly not the slam dunk Collins, Brown and Houston would have been.

I really do wish Gute would have consulted you however. I'm sure he had no idea that trading for Antonio Brown would have guaranteed a Super Bowl win. I'm a little surprised you didn't guarantee 2 or 3. You could have given him your friends number too.

why do you guys subject yourself to that? you know what the response is going to be in thread after thread after thread after thread...

Ever see a train wreck?

I am done with it. We can now shape the board for the draft and get the OFENSIVE EXPLOSION some of us have been waiting for forever.

Plus now I don't even have to worry about them wasting top pick on TE with 3 signed.

This is gonna be amazing!

Part of me is still hoping they take Hockenson at 12. Maybe even trade up to get him. That would be so much fun.

True, can you imagine what those 2 could do on the field!! Batman and Robin.....The Dynamic Duo! *waves to Brandon*

Hey now!!! Ahman Green was Batman and no one will ever replace him. Maybe Green Hornet and Kato but never Batman and Robin.

also, are you an anti-vaxxer?

I don't know about him but I suspect his parents were. There has to be some medical reason to explain all that.

overthecap says he gets the $5 mil roster bonus if he's on the roster on the 5th. day of the league year.

The league year started on the 13th. which is now yesterday. If overthecap is right, Graham could be cut anytime up through 16th. to avoid the roster bonus. After that it is a lock he isn't going anywhere this season.

They could designate him a post June 1st cut :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

No I don't want to start that up in this thread? I haven't gotten to that one yet but I hope its been cleared up. I also know they would have to do it before the 16th I was just making a joke.

It's far from exaggeration. This team has had to have had spent more $ in free agency(this year) along with drafting defense with high picks the last 4 years than anyone else in the league. If there not at the top there close.

This is the last chance to make it work or it's just a GIANT FRAUD. I have serious concerns it's not gonna work. That goes to say it's far on how I would of done it or John Dorsey for that matter so well see what happens.

If only that were true. From the way you have been carrying on though you don't have serious concerns that it won't work, you are convinced it won't work and your way was the only way it was gonna work and I wonder if part of you hopes it doesn't work.

If you had said from the start "I have serious concerns its not gonna work and here is why..." and then laid out your concerns people would be able to take you seriously. Instead you say things like the guy I wanted would have guaranteed a Super Bowl and all the guys I want are game changers...oops, excuse me... GAME CHANGERS (I'm surprised you didn't italicize and bold it as well.) Then you toss around words like stupid and delusional and insane and a host of others and you wonder why everyone busts your chops.

I'm telling the truth when I say part of me wants Hockenson at 12. Part of that is because I think TE is a much bigger need than you do and part of it is because I want to watch your head explode.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever see a train wreck?
No, but I have seen a pretty bad accident as it happened, and it's not fun. Gawking after the fact is one thing, watching it happen is something you don't need to see twice. and

in undergrad I was able to do some work with the 1st ever introduced lyme vaccine in the US. It was eventually pulled from market and I think re-done long after I was gone. My education didn't come from the internet or Jenny and I will say, I do have problems with our current approach to vaccination in this country. am I still allowed to have an opinion on football?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but I have seen a pretty bad accident as it happened, and it's not fun. Gawking after the fact is one thing, watching it happen is something you don't need to see twice. and

in undergrad I was able to do some work with the 1st ever introduced lyme vaccine in the US. It was eventually pulled from market and I think re-done long after I was gone. My education didn't come from the internet or Jenny and I will say, I do have problems with our current approach to vaccination in this country. am I still allowed to have an opinion on football?

You can still have an opinion on anything you like. I don't recall every saying anything the indicated otherwise.

I'm not sure what prompted this but it seems a tad over reactive to whatever I said. I didn't intend to offend anyone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can still have an opinion on anything you like. I don't recall every saying anything the indicated otherwise.

I'm not sure what prompted this but it seems a tad over reactive to whatever I said. I didn't intend to offend anyone.
I'm not overreacting, I think you read that the wrong way. I had quoted the scottsman but when quoted and edited yours I think it got erased.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not overreacting, I think you read that the wrong way. I had quoted the scottsman but when quoted and edited yours I think it got erased.

Ah ha. Sorry, I didn't think anything I said warranted that response. At least I was hoping not. I did have a long post so I can see where it would have caused some editing trouble. Its one reason I sometime make multiple posts, especially when addressing multiple subjects. Sure its more posts but it's much easier to agree (or disagree) and to respond to without confusion.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Certainly not the slam dunk Collins, Brown and Houston would have been.

I really do wish Gute would have consulted you however. I'm sure he had no idea that trading for Antonio Brown would have guaranteed a Super Bowl win. I'm a little surprised you didn't guarantee 2 or 3. You could have given him your friends number too.

Ever see a train wreck?

Part of me is still hoping they take Hockenson at 12. Maybe even trade up to get him. That would be so much fun.

I don't know about him but I suspect his parents were. There has to be some medical reason to explain all that

If only that were true. From the way you have been carrying on though you don't have serious concerns that it won't work, you are convinced it won't work and your way was the only way it was gonna work and I wonder if part of you hopes it doesn't work.

If you had said from the start "I have serious concerns its not gonna work and here is why..." and then laid out your concerns people would be able to take you seriously. Instead you say things like the guy I wanted would have guaranteed a Super Bowl and all the guys I want are game changers...oops, excuse me... GAME CHANGERS (I'm surprised you didn't italicize and bold it as well.) Then you toss around words like stupid and delusional and insane and a host of others and you wonder why everyone busts your chops.

I'm telling the truth when I say part of me wants Hockenson at 12. Part of that is because I think TE is a much bigger need than you do and part of it is because I want to watch your head explode.

Of course you do. I get hated and tormented on here more then anyone EVER on this forum but that's fine. I learned a long time ago it can be lonely sometimes at the top.

I've never claimed to be right all the time but I am way more right then wrong. I deliver critical thinking on subjects that has a tendancy to rub some people the wrong way. Oh well.

I am interested in only one thing when it comes to the Green Bay Packers and that's winning a Super Bowl. I am fully vested and to think i want them to fail is utterly ridiculous.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you do. I get hated and tormented on here more then anyone EVER on this forum but that's fine. I learned a long time ago it can be lonely sometimes at the top.

I've never claimed to be right all the time but I am way more right then wrong. I deliver critical thinking on subjects that has a tendancy to rub some people the wrong way. Oh well.

I am interested in only one thing when it comes to the Green Bay Packers and that's winning a Super Bowl. I am fully vested and to think i want them to fail is utterly ridiculous.

Humility and the ability to understand sarcasm obviously are not two of your strong suits.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine. He is on the fringe of medicority at 62. Something.

I really hope he and these other guys work out and I'm glad the Packers actually did something.

I just don't see any of this as a slam dunk.

Its clear they took a shot on these guys because there younger but there all getting there first big contract.

The 3 defensive guys can play... all 3 are good players. They were excellent signings.

Don't know much about Turner except they view him as an ascending player.

Gute needed to make these moves b/c of how horrific our drafting has been the past few years.

Gute has the team headed in the right direction.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Graham is due a $5 million roster bonus today. That means a total of $12.3 million of dead money would count against the Packers cap in 2019 if they traded him and the team would only save $300K in cap space. Therefore there's no way they will move on from him this year.

While releasing Graham would still result in $3.6 million of dead money next offseason the Packers would save $8 million of cap space at that point.

I learned a long time ago it can be lonely sometimes at the top.

How do you know???

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not your ideas or opinions. It's the arrogant, condescending, and frequent manner in which you convey them that draws the ridicule.

Nobody hates you. More annoyed than anything.

As an example, here is me channelling my inner Brandon typing this same response to you:

\\Brandon

What?!?! That is INSANE! I'm tired of trying to explain this to you. But I guess i have to do it yet again. TRY TO UNDERSTAND this time!!!

Its NOT your OPINIONS!!!! Its how your ARROGANTLY DEMAND EVERONE TO SEE THINGS EXACTLY AS YOU DO!!!!! It is your ATTITUDE!!

STOP THE INSANITY!!!

//Brandon

See the difference? Of course I would need to post the same thing 20x to get the full effect.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's not your ideas or opinions. It's the arrogant, condescending, and frequent manner in which you convey them that draws the ridicule.

Nobody hates you. More annoyed than anything.

As an example, here is me channelling my inner Brandon typing this same response to you:

\\Brandon

What?!?! That is INSANE! I'm tired of trying to explain this to you. But I guess i have to do it yet again. TRY TO UNDERSTAND this time!!!

Its NOT your OPINIONS!!!! Its how your ARROGANTLY DEMAND EVERONE TO SEE THINGS EXACTLY AS YOU DO!!!!! It is your ATTITUDE!!

STOP THE INSANITY!!!

//Brandon

See the difference? Of course I would need to post the same thing 20x to get the full effect.

It's also a little bit his ideas and opinions. But you're mostly correct.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's also a little bit his ideas and opinions. But you're mostly correct.
I disagree with a lot of people, you, for example. But it doesnt need to get rude or personal. I appreciate other thoughts and ideas. If I knew everything, there would be no point in coming here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I disagree with a lot of people, you, for example. But it doesnt need to get rude or personal. I appreciate other thoughts and ideas. If I knew everything, there would be no point in coming here.

Jokes, Amish.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Most of us also know that if we **** you off, we are likely to wake up in a hay loft without legs. :eek:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I, for one, come here for the pure pleasure of educating those lesser than me.

/Bc it's the internet, I hope everybody knows there should be sarcasm literally dripping from that statement