Packers to sign Za'darius Smith

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats pretty awesome, I did hear that a lot of people of Wisconsin had Dutch heritage, yet during my time there I never did meet anyone who was.

True, I had the pleasure of witnessing a few more dutch beasts though in our Oranje!

I Hope your dad had fun! I think I know the kind of places you are talking about. Lets just say that I do not wish to post any more messages after this one ;)

Haha I'm not from Wisconsin.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to look for this thread this morning as well and read all the negative comments and the 'wasted money'

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Free agency can be a hit and miss proposition. If you sign three guys and two end up being what you hoped for, you're doing well. To bring in Za'Darius, Preston, Amos, and Turner in one off-season and have the latter two be all you could expect, while the former two have dramatically exceeded expectations... that's just a home run offseason for Gute.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love when everyone says we need to add pieces to be a true contender, to get Rodgers that second ring and when someone starts a "What about getting this guy" thread all you see is hard passes and reasons why it's a bad idea.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love when everyone says we need to add pieces to be a true contender, to get Rodgers that second ring and when someone starts a "What about getting this guy" thread all you see is hard passes and reasons why it's a bad idea.
To be fair, many of those are "let's bring in Dez Bryant' crap. The level of analysis is 'he once was good' or 'I heard his name before'.

Reaction score
Z has turned out to be an amazing transaction. Gute is one more successful FA/Draft from an even more dynamic team.
We hit at OLB, OLB again, Safety and OG in 2019

we need a WR, TE, ILB and another DT in 2020.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Teams have to be smart about approaching free agency and can't sign everyone fans are advocating for.

Gutekunst did an masterful job signing the perfect veterans last offseason. Graham should work as a cautionary tale that it doesn't work out every time though.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow! What a beautiful morning! I know a lot of you are crying about money but we got legitimately better. 2 of the best “Do it all” Edge rushers in free agency and a stud Safety!! Gute!!!!!

Hey! Proof that I don’t hate all of Gute’s moves:)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What's the point of bringing up solely my post as close to everyone who posted about the contract details agreed the Packers overpaid for Z???

Here was your take on it:

I mean...what were you all expecting?

CJ Mosley just got 17, Kwon Alexander got 13.5, Landon Collins got 14.

16 isn't a great number if true (LaCanfora is crap), but it isn't surprising at all. We weren't going to get him for 10 a year. What really matters is guaranteed $$$.

It seems like you felt the same way as well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the point of bringing up solely my post as close to everyone who posted about the contract details agreed the Packers overpaid for Z???

Here was your take on it:

It seems like you felt the same way as well.

Because it amuses me.

And no, I didn't say GB significantly overpaid. We did not feel the same.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not everyone.
Great signing. Z was going to be the best bargain in FA according to one talking head last week. Although $16M seems steep, if it's over 4 yrs, that may look inexpensive after 2 or 3 years. It only makes sense to go after a young ascending player than an old declining player with potential health issues.

Seems like we would have had the inside scoop as well. Probably a very sound move by Gute.

Dont think this will or should affect our draft strategy. We still need another OLB.
Damn, I even called for another OLB to be drafted. Of course I was also dead set against Gary . . .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not everyone.

Damn, I even called for another OLB to be drafted. Of course I was also dead set against Gary . . .

Personally, I loved the Z. Smith and P. Smith signings at the time, it was a huge need. I was actually shocked at the Gary pick, since I figured they had just spent a lot of money on 2 starting OLB's. But what do I know, they just drafted Love, despite Rodgers saying he wants to play into his 40's. Let's hope both Gary and Love turn out to be brilliant picks.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I loved the Z. Smith and P. Smith signings at the time, it was a huge need. I was actually shocked at the Gary pick, since I figured they had just spent a lot of money on 2 starting OLB's. But what do I know, they just drafted Love, despite Rodgers saying he wants to play into his 40's. Let's hope both Gary and Love turn out to be brilliant picks.

Gary and Love were both picks that I didn't like at the time.

So, logically, they're going to be good. This is how it always works.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Because it amuses me.

And no, I didn't say GB significantly overpaid. We did not feel the same.

You didn't even believe the Packers signed Z to a contract averaging $16 million a season after it was reported:

I do not believe his APY will be 16.

LaCa is a hack. I'd bet maybe one year is 16, or the guaranteed is 16, similar to Preston Smith.

Not everyone.

That's why I said close to everyone.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Both Smith boys had career years in sacks and tackles. The highly touted DeMarcus Lawrence, Trey flowers, Frank Clark, and Dee Ford broke the bank and all had worse statistical years. Hats off to Gute for these two signings.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Smith boys had career years in sacks and tackles. The highly touted DeMarcus Lawrence, Trey flowers, Frank Clark, and Dee Ford broke the bank and all had worse statistical years. Hats off to Gute for these two signings.
I think PSmith had limited production based on the talent around him in Washington. ZSmith was not the starter. He still did well for his opportunities.

Fans tend to think of big name players at their peak and not the current reality.

Gute hit it out of the park in the FA market. Getting the young players on their 2nd contract who are still improving and have high character, rather than the big names.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think PSmith had limited production based on the talent around him in Washington. ZSmith was not the starter. He still did well for his opportunities.

Fans tend to think of big name players at their peak and not the current reality.

Gute hit it out of the park in the FA market. Getting the young players on their 2nd contract who are still improving and have high character, rather than the big names.

Both calculated risks. This D has so much potential. Makes me super sad that we didn’t draft Queen.

Staff online

Latest posts