Packers to sign DT Jarran Reed

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One guy does not make a line... which is why I'm eyeing Wyatt at pick 22.

We definitely need an infusion of talent up front. Not just the line, we need another edge as well.

I like Garvin, but he's not going to ascend to pro bowl level. Samething with Ramsey.

I'd like to see 2 of those first 4 picks go for defensive front players.

Wyatt at 22, and Drake Jackson at 58??

If Wyatt is gone, I don't really like any of the other DL in the 2nd round, unless someone like Hall falls.
With our current WR situation there is no way we are picking D# with first 2 pics unless all you want to do is defend all season or you are planning on having 2000 Baltimore D# win games for us.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our current WR situation there is no way we are picking D# with first 2 pics unless all you want to do is defend all season or you are planning on having 2000 Baltimore D# win games for us.
We have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds...

I haven't scouted past round 2, but I'd love to see...

Rd1, pick 22 - Devonte Wyatt, DL-GA
Rd1, pick 28 - George Pickins, WR-GA
Rd2, pick 53 - Max Mitchell, OT-OL
Rd2, pick 58 - Skyy Moore, WR-UWM

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds...

I haven't scouted past round 2, but I'd love to see...

Rd1, pick 22 - Devonte Wyatt, DL-GA
Rd1, pick 28 - George Pickins, WR-GA
Rd2, pick 53 - Max Mitchell, OT-OL
Rd2, pick 58 - Skyy Moore, WR-UWM

Skyy is a tempting guy with incredible speed but we don’t need a third slot guy in one of the last two years of Rodgers time here most likely.

If we want incredible speed alone that is shifty with the bonus of returner Marcus Jones from Houston is my choice. Best returner in the draft, plays slot with a mean streak and can burn.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding his contract structure, I really have to give Gute and the FO a lot of credit for the way they can work void years in/around contracts. Obviously the players still have to get paid, but end of the day it's really SMART how they have done this

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

We definitely need an infusion of talent up front. Not just the line, we need another edge as well.

I like Garvin, but he's not going to ascend to pro bowl level. Samething with Ramsey.

If Wyatt is gone, I don't really like any of the other DL in the 2nd round, unless someone like Hall falls.

No, but this defense essentially plays two guys along the interior.

Clark is a stud, and Lowry was very solid in year one with Barry. So when you back them up with Reed, who is going from being a primary option to a rotational one, and Slaton in year two, I think that’s a good unit. Plus you can add a talented rookie to the mix, as I listed in the post you quoted originally. If it was Wyatt at #22 I’d be all for it. But even if it’s someone a little later, the Packers are still in good shape.

And yes, they certainly need to add a talented edge player to their depth. This group at edge is as deep as any position in the class.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Clark is a stud, and Lowry was very solid in year one with Barry. So when you back them up with Reed, who is going from being a primary option to a rotational one, and Slaton in year two, I think that’s a good unit. Plus you can add a talented rookie to the mix, as I listed in the post you quoted originally. If it was Wyatt at #22 I’d be all for it. But even if it’s someone a little later, the Packers are still in good shape.

And yes, they certainly need to add a talented edge player to their depth. This group at edge is as deep as any position in the class.

Exactly, Lowry is like MVS in a way too many - dislike or dismissed for no reason. I’ve argued he might be overpaid but the dude has been solid. And we are as you say rarely a three down lineman unit anyways….changing how you have to judge the group and it’s depth.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You don't think Reed will beat out Lowry?

Clark and Reed ad our primary 2 down DL looks good

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, Lowry is like MVS in a way too many - dislike or dismissed for no reason. I’ve argued he might be overpaid but the dude has been solid. And we are as you say rarely a three down lineman unit anyways….changing how you have to judge the group and it’s depth.
I like Lowry but I think he's too inconsistent and overpaid. There are times where he basically just disappears lol

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

He’s a whipping boy. Every fan base has them.

When I was in high school, the Chargers played Jeromey Clary at right tackle. Everything was his fault.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't think Reed will beat out Lowry?

Clark and Reed ad our primary 2 down DL looks good

Personally their snap counts it both healthy will be within 5% or so of eachother is suspect at best case for Reed. I fully expect Lowry to get more honestly.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I will be pleasantly surprised if Lowry is as good as a lot of people think here.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding his contract structure, I really have to give Gute and the FO a lot of credit for the way they can work void years in/around contracts. Obviously the players still have to get paid, but end of the day it's really SMART how they have done this
I thought everyone hated void years for the cap hell they put us in when everything excellerates.

Seriously though. Like many other tools in the salary cap toolbox it can be very useful if used judiciously but can wreak havoc if relied upon too much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I will be pleasantly surprised if Lowry is as good as a lot of people think here.

I guess what do you expect and how bad do you think he has been?

Lowry gets misjudged by a ton of folks like Preston does when he doesn’t simply put up sacks.

Lowry has been a solid and consistent guy for us - yes overpaid but his floor is quite high for an NFL DL in his role, granted his ceiling isn’t much higher than his floor as illustrated last few years.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought everyone hated void years for the cap hell they put us in when everything excellerates.

Seriously though. Like many other tools in the salary cap toolbox it can be very useful if used judiciously but can wreak havoc if relied upon too much.
I mean, Gute has to do what he had to do right ? Lol

The Packers around 2025 will be pretty bad lol

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess what do you expect and how bad do you think he has been?

Lowry gets misjudged by a ton of folks like Preston does when he doesn’t simply put up sacks.

Lowry has been a solid and consistent guy for us - yes overpaid but his floor is quite high for an NFL DL in his role, granted his ceiling isn’t much higher than his floor as illustrated last few years.

Lowry isn't bad. But if you're using like Madden theory, he's a high 70s rating guy who will never get higher than like an 80 rating

He's not really bad or very good either and you can "theoretically " always get someone better. But he also won't ever be a star like Clark or have a ceiling like Slaton, or even Keke

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have more pressing needs for it to make sense spending two of their first four picks on the defensive line.

It's a smart approach when going all-in but it will come back to haunt the team at some point down the road.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have more pressing needs for it to make sense spending two of their first four picks on the defensive line.

It's a smart approach when going all-in but it will come back to haunt the team at some point down the road.

I think I'm fine with a horrible year following the departure of Aaron Rodgers.

Hopefully he leaves with a ring.

Whether he departs through release, trade, or retirement; Love will be evaluated if he's still on the roster.

Either way post Rodgers, I say we purge the roster of big cap hits, draft and develop; get a top pick and go from there.

If Love remains and is ready to thrive; then all the better.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We have a lot of needs, and DL is one of them... WR is just as bad.

From last year we lost Zadarius Smith, Keke, and Mercilus.

Garvin is our #2 Edge, and Lowry, Lancaster, and Heflin are nothing to write home about.

In my mocks, I'm coming away with Wyatt (DT), Pickens (WR), Williams or Thomas (Edge), and Tolbert (WR).

That's 4 quality players, all at positions if need; and, all 4 of them are upgrades from what we have on the roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Garvin is our #2 Edge, and Lowry, Lancaster, and Heflin are nothing to write home about.

In my mocks, I'm coming away with Wyatt (DT), Pickens (WR), Williams or Thomas (Edge), and Tolbert (WR).

That's 4 quality players, all at positions if need; and, all 4 of them are upgrades from what we have on the roster.

Dude….Z and Mercilus both are not interior DL but edge/OLBs

Lancaster isn’t even on the roster and Garvin is not our #2 OLB/EDGE…unless you truly have him ranked above Preston Smith…

I recommend the stickied thread with current 2022 roster thread to know the team discussing.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude….Z and Mercilus both are not interior DL but edge/OLBs

Lancaster isn’t even on the roster and Garvin is not our #2 OLB/EDGE…unless you truly have him ranked above Preston Smith…

I recommend the stickied thread with current 2022 roster thread to know the team discussing.
I know where guys play, lol... I'm looking at the front 6/7 in general.

Did Lancaster sign somewhere??

And I don't consider Smith an Edge.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zadarius basically did not play last year. Mercilus didn't play much last year, acquired in season then out with an injury. From the sound of things they are better off without Keke. IMO Reed makes up for all of them. While I do agree they need depth at both DL and Edge I wouldn't take either of those in the first 4 picks unless it was a guy who was much higher on their board. If their board has players closely ranked besides 2 WRs I would like to see a CB & S with those other 2 picks. OT would move up in priority depending on the health of Bakh and Jenkins. An ILB in round 3 would be ideal.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zadarius basically did not play last year. Mercilus didn't play much last year, acquired in season then out with an injury. From the sound of things they are better off without Keke. IMO Reed makes up for all of them. While I do agree they need depth at both DL and Edge I wouldn't take either of those in the first 4 picks unless it was a guy who was much higher on their board. If their board has players closely ranked besides 2 WRs I would like to see a CB & S with those other 2 picks. OT would move up in priority depending on the health of Bakh and Jenkins. An ILB in round 3 would be ideal.
There are a lot of good OL down the board...

3 I like off the top of my head in rounds 2-4 are Luke Fortner, Lacitus Smith, and Max Mitchell.

I think Fortner is mor NFL ready than Mitchell, but Mitchell might go higher because his ceiling is higher.

As for the front 6/7... we're just not explosive enough up there. We need an infusion of top end talent. If Wyatt is gone, I'd take Mafe in a heartbeat. And Pickens is my hope at WR.

Love Tolbert in the 2nd.

Hopefully they pull another Jason Spriggs move out of their ***.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts