Packers to sign DT Jarran Reed

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What???

Clearly you do not know where guys play.
I consider Smith a DE. He's much more effective with his hand in the dirt.

They do stand him up a lot, but his get off is affected and he's a liability in space. Hence, I consider him a DE.

And while I like Garvin, I don't want him to be our #3 pass rush threat. I want more juice up front.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider Smith a DE. He's much more effective with his hand in the dirt.

They do stand him up a lot, but his get off is affected and he's a liability in space. Hence, I consider him a DE.

And while I like Garvin, I don't want him to be our #3 pass rush threat. I want more juice up front.

LOL...sorry you ask 100 guys if Preston Smith is an Edge either by his play or where we play him at, 100 folks will say Edge.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think I'm fine with a horrible year following the departure of Aaron Rodgers.

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement, especially as it would be bound to happen even with the team in a better cap situation as well.

We have a lot of needs, and DL is one of them... WR is just as bad.

The Packers use only two defensive linemen on the majority of snaps. With Clark and Reed starting there the position is in much better shape than wide receiver.

Hopefully they pull another Jason Spriggs move out of their ***.

What??? You want the team to trade three picks to select a player that ends up being a complete bust???

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have more pressing needs for it to make sense spending two of their first four picks on the defensive line.

It's a smart approach when going all-in but it will come back to haunt the team at some point down the road.
Like the idea of addressing the DL especially when it comes to stopping the run. This is an area that has never seemed to be a priority over the last 15 years. It has been more about pass rush and blitzing and leave the rest to the back 7. But this year we do have pressing needs in another area. Now that can be addressed in the draft or through free agency. I tend to think both. Always a risk when you go all in. But then NOT going all in has haunted the team at some point in time also.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with that statement, especially as it would be bound to happen even with the team in a better cap situation as well.
I watched highlights of the Detroit game on you tube yesterday. Granted only highlights but Love looked pretty good to me. I am not ready to move on from him and I am not going to say it is a given that if he plays; we will stink. He may surprise. And so I hope we do not forget about the O line during the draft.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the idea of addressing the DL especially when it comes to stopping the run. This is an area that has never seemed to be a priority over the last 15 years. It has been more about pass rush and blitzing and leave the rest to the back 7. But this year we do have pressing needs in another area. Now that can be addressed in the draft or through free agency. I tend to think both. Always a risk when you go all in. But then NOT going all in has haunted the team at some point in time also.

I agree. For too long we surrounded Kenny Clark with guys who are just "guys" in the NFL...Reed has a resume that suggests he can be stout against the run and push the pocket against the pass.

Could use another such player, perhaps in the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a thought....say Green Bay adds a solid DL type before the close of Day2 this April.

Post June 1 cutting of Lowry adds a substantial amount of money to the cap for 2022 and with the Reed signing makes this a viable option for Gute and Co to consider.

It is arguably the only spot which jumps out at me for a post June 1st cutting possibly being justified by the draft - as we have Clark and Reed both there (Slaton and Heflin depth). You could say Amos at safety BUT that is asking a rookie to come in and start asap...

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers use only two defensive linemen on the majority of snaps. With Clark and Reed starting there the position is in much better shape than wide receiver.

What??? You want the team to trade three picks to select a player that ends up being a complete bust???
Lol... that's supposed read "won't pull another Jason Spriggs". :)

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I say that is a 50/50 proposition still on his vote LOL
He's still a DE in my book ;)

Which is why I want another edge. Gary, Clark, Williams (rookie edge), Wyatt (rookie DT) and Smith looks like a pretty good pass rush to me.

Rush all 5 or drop.1... you have to have multiple fronts, with players that can get home.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's still a DE in my book ;)

Which is why I want another edge. Gary, Clark, Williams (rookie edge), Wyatt (rookie DT) and Smith looks like a pretty good pass rush to me.

Rush all 5 or drop.1... you have to have multiple fronts, with players that can get home.

I see Wyatt as an ILB personally LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

I watched highlights of the Detroit game on you tube yesterday. Granted only highlights but Love looked pretty good to me. I am not ready to move on from him and I am not going to say it is a given that if he plays; we will stink. He may surprise. And so I hope we do not forget about the O line during the draft.

I'm sorry but I don't agree Love looked good against the Lions. He threw two interceptions, had another fumble (which he recovered) and only had a total of 26 completed air yards on 17 attempts.

Post June 1 cutting of Lowry adds a substantial amount of money to the cap for 2022 and with the Reed signing makes this a viable option for Gute and Co to consider.

The Packers cutting Lowry after post June 1st results in an additional cap savings of only $1.866 million for this season. I'm not convinced that makes perfect sense even if they want to move on from him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers cutting Lowry after post June 1st results in an additional cap savings of only $1.866 million for this season. I'm not convinced that makes perfect sense even if they want to move on from him.

You're focusing on the additional, and not the total. If we are scraping thin cap wise and we pick up a top flight down lineman it would be something on the board of decisions any logical minded owner/GM would have to consider.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're focusing on the additional, and not the total. If we are scraping thin cap wise and we pick up a top flight down lineman it would be something on the board of decisions any logical minded owner/GM would have to consider.

My point is that the Packers could save $4 million of cap space without designating Lowry a post June 1st cut. I don't think they would need the additional $1.866 million of cap space in June to push it out until next season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that the Packers could save $4 million of cap space without designating Lowry a post June 1st cut. I don't think they would need the additional $1.866 million of cap space in June to push it out until next season.

Oh I understood, I just think it has to be on the table - especially say if GB pulls off a massive trade and the cost of the acquired WR begins to push the cap very close....you draft a Wyatt that falls or maybe a top 92 and another high Day 3 DL...the breathing room for in season moves becomes possible with a Lowry cut.

There's validity to the thought is all I'm arguing, I'm not necessarily advocating for it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GMs need to consider a lot of things. That doesn't mean they make sense or that they should act on them. I'm sure Gute has considered the advantages and disadvantages of making certain moves with just about every player
Oh I understood, I just think it has to be on the table - especially say if GB pulls off a massive trade and the cost of the acquired WR begins to push the cap very close....you draft a Wyatt that falls or maybe a top 92 and another high Day 3 DL...the breathing room for in season moves becomes possible with a Lowry cut.

There's validity to the thought is all I'm arguing, I'm not necessarily advocating for it.
If a GM is doing his job he should be considering pretty much every possible transaction for every player. Even if its as simple as " nope, not even going to consider that" that is considering it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reed is 29, he played the first 5 seasons of his career with Seattle after being their 2nd round draft pick (49th overall out of Alabama).

He developed into a strong interior pass rusher with the Seahawks, which peaked in a 10.5 sack season in 2018.

He spent last season with the Chiefs and contributed 2.5 sacks and 12 QB hits.

He offers position flexibility along the interior of the defensive line-- quality veteran depth.

The upshot of this move is that the Packers are keeping themselves out of a position where they have to leave the first round with a player at a particular spot.
Your last point is the most important. They go into the draft having somewhat addressed needs on the DL. If someone falls to them, great. But now they can focus on WR, a need area I think we can all agree on.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your last point is the most important. They go into the draft having somewhat addressed needs on the DL. If someone falls to them, great. But now they can focus on WR, a need area I think we can all agree on.

Exactly. IMO the last thing you want is a GM going into the draft feeling that they absolutely have to get a certain position in the first round. It can lead to serious reaching or possibly ignoring someone who might be the better pick but plays a different position. If you are drafting in the top 5 or even 10 you might be able to get away with it but in the 20's everyone has question marks. to take 1 just because you "have to" is not smart. Some have said the Packers need to get 2 WRs in the first round. If the draft falls that way and Gute can follow his board and it happens fine but if a pretty good OL or DL or edge is sitting there at 28 I'd hate to think Gute was going to pass on them just to grab another WR just because he felt he needed to get two. I really don't think Gute is the kind of GM to do that and I sure hope I am right.

Reaction score
We have 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds...

I haven't scouted past round 2, but I'd love to see...

Rd1, pick 22 - Devonte Wyatt, DL-GA
Rd1, pick 28 - George Pickins, WR-GA
Rd2, pick 53 - Max Mitchell, OT-OL
Rd2, pick 58 - Skyy Moore, WR-UWM
Those 2 trench picks alone would bolster both our lines. I’m sure hoping we can land a veteran WR without affecting your draft proposal. That would be exciting

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those 2 trench picks alone would bolster both our lines. I’m sure hoping we can land a veteran WR without affecting your draft proposal. That would be exciting
I'd be very happy with that haul of players...

Some other players I like at those 2nd round picks are Luke Fortner and Jalen Tolbert.

Not sure how Fortner is valued though. I've seen him mocked in the 3rd.

I like Lecitus Smith in the 3rd/4th.

I'd be fine with Watson or Williams in the 1st...

Lot of variability of opinion on these players... seeing them mocked differently by 3 rounds sometimes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly. IMO the last thing you want is a GM going into the draft feeling that they absolutely have to get a certain position in the first round. It can lead to serious reaching or possibly ignoring someone who might be the better pick but plays a different position. If you are drafting in the top 5 or even 10 you might be able to get away with it but in the 20's everyone has question marks. to take 1 just because you "have to" is not smart. Some have said the Packers need to get 2 WRs in the first round. If the draft falls that way and Gute can follow his board and it happens fine but if a pretty good OL or DL or edge is sitting there at 28 I'd hate to think Gute was going to pass on them just to grab another WR just because he felt he needed to get two. I really don't think Gute is the kind of GM to do that and I sure hope I am right.

In my opinion the Packers would have to add at least one veteran wide receiver before the draft to not be forced to select one with either of their first round picks though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have big needs at OLB, WR, IDL and OT. It's safe to think that there will be a good pick at 22 at one of those 4 positions. With only Gary and Smith at OLB, the Packers are one injury away from disaster. Same for OT, since Jenkins won't be back for the start of the season. Given the depth in this draft at WR and OLB, chances are goid that Gute picks a WR and OLB in round 1. There is very low chance an elite OT falls to the Packers in round 1 so I would expect an OT in rounds 2 or 3. While IDL is still needed but not as critical as the other 3 positions, I would be elated if Devante Wyatt fell to the Packers at 22.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For OL, I would presume the Packers do what they usually do in finding late round gems ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts