Packers to sign DT Jarran Reed

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have big needs at OLB, WR, IDL and OT. It's safe to think that there will be a good pick at 22 at one of those 4 positions. With only Gary and Smith at OLB, the Packers are one injury away from disaster. Same for OT, since Jenkins won't be back for the start of the season. Given the depth in this draft at WR and OLB, chances are goid that Gute picks a WR and OLB in round 1. There is very low chance an elite OT falls to the Packers in round 1 so I would expect an OT in rounds 2 or 3. While IDL is still needed but not as critical as the other 3 positions, I would be elated if Devante Wyatt fell to the Packers at 22.
I believe CB (depth) is the #2 need behind WR. ILB, S, Edge need depth also. Just where to rank OL depends on the health of Bakh and Jenkins which I am not privy to. IDL is my least worry after the signing of Reed. If Hill is healthy I do not even look at RBs until the 7th round. Since you can't draft every position I would have to settle with the current TE room. We have 8 picks in the 1st 5 rounds. IMO- WR-WR-CB-E-S-ILB-OL-IDL. 3 7TH rounders. TE-RB-KR or double dip at the other positions. I have not yet been able to do a mock where I stuck to this order.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TE probably has to be a higher priority than that....Dafney/Deguara seem like more of an H-back than a legit receiving option, Lewis' days are numbered at this point...I guess maybe if you are expecting big things out of Davis then it can be viewed as a lower priority. But other than that we just have Tonyan on a one-year deal, so we will probably need a replacement either way soon. If he doesn't recover well and/or just has a poor season, then we probably won't be bringing him back (or if we do we'll at least want another legitimate option)...or if he does have a good recovery and has a big season then it probably prices us out of bringing him back long-term...In which case we'll again need to be considering a replacement. I don't think it would be particularly prudent to head into the following season with only Deguara, Dafney, Davis, and a 7th-rd flyer as our options at TE....

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe CB (depth) is the #2 need behind WR. ILB, S, Edge need depth also. Just where to rank OL depends on the health of Bakh and Jenkins which I am not privy to. IDL is my least worry after the signing of Reed. If Hill is healthy I do not even look at RBs until the 7th round. Since you can't draft every position I would have to settle with the current TE room. We have 8 picks in the 1st 5 rounds. IMO- WR-WR-CB-E-S-ILB-OL-IDL. 3 7TH rounders. TE-RB-KR or double dip at the other positions. I have not yet been able to do a mock where I stuck to this order.
i still believe IL is still important. We have to show we can stop the run. We have Alexander, Stokes, and Rasul now. Yes, we lost Sullivan. But we can get someone. Heck, Kevin King may still be available this summer or may get cut by someone else.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TE probably has to be a higher priority than that....Dafney/Deguara seem like more of an H-back than a legit receiving option, Lewis' days are numbered at this point...I guess maybe if you are expecting big things out of Davis then it can be viewed as a lower priority. But other than that we just have Tonyan on a one-year deal, so we will probably need a replacement either way soon. If he doesn't recover well and/or just has a poor season, then we probably won't be bringing him back (or if we do we'll at least want another legitimate option)...or if he does have a good recovery and has a big season then it probably prices us out of bringing him back long-term...In which case we'll again need to be considering a replacement. I don't think it would be particularly prudent to head into the following season with only Deguara, Dafney, Davis, and a 7th-rd flyer as our options at TE....
This year is an all in approach is it not? Very few TEs contribute much in their 1st couple of years. I would rather look for an affordable FA to compete for the receiving TE role than use one of those 1st 7 picks. Just my opinion. I get why others think differently.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i still believe IL is still important. We have to show we can stop the run. We have Alexander, Stokes, and Rasul now. Yes, we lost Sullivan. But we can get someone. Heck, Kevin King may still be available this summer or may get cut by someone else.
All of my opinions are based on the current roster. I reserve the right to change said opinions when and if the roster changes.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have big needs at OLB, WR, IDL and OT. It's safe to think that there will be a good pick at 22 at one of those 4 positions. With only Gary and Smith at OLB, the Packers are one injury away from disaster. Same for OT, since Jenkins won't be back for the start of the season. Given the depth in this draft at WR and OLB, chances are goid that Gute picks a WR and OLB in round 1. There is very low chance an elite OT falls to the Packers in round 1 so I would expect an OT in rounds 2 or 3. While IDL is still needed but not as critical as the other 3 positions, I would be elated if Devante Wyatt fell to the Packers at 22.

While the Packers need to add quality depth at several positions there's no doubt wide receiver is by far their biggest need at this point. One might even argue the team currently doesn't have a single starting quality receiver on the roster.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers need to add quality depth at several positions there's no doubt wide receiver is by far their biggest need at this point. One might even argue the team currently doesn't have a single starting quality receiver on the roster.
Lazard and Cobb are good #3 WR's but shouldn't be counted on to give you opptimistically more than 500 to 600 yards and 6 TD's. While a small fraction of rookie WR's step in and take a #1 or #2 role, that's very unlikely to happen given Rodger's unwillingness to trust rookies and the Packers draft position. While I expect them to take at least 2 WR's in this draft, I don't expect them to contribute very much. A trade for a veteten WR can help, but at this point, the WR position looks to be a major roster hole in 2022. Amari Rodgers needs to step up big time but his rookie performance indicates he's on the path to another 3rd round bust for the franchise.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we really that fragile at LB right now?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One can argue we have starting two at both ILB and OLB but zero proven after.

I’m a Barnes fan and believe he is only getting better but additional guy to push or beat him out one could argue is needed. Especially since depth LBs feed the STs and we are weak there

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of STs, we have a new coach, have added a couple of guys with ST chops plus the return from injury of Ramsey (if memory serves he was one of the better ST players 2 yrs. ago) is a nice start. One or 2 of the later picks contributing would also help to improve that unit.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's actually an interesting thought IMO. If we're being honest/objective here....for how many "Super Bowl Contenders" do guys like Lazard, Cobb, etc start for these days? Right now it looks like the top six (including us) betting favorites are the Bills, Buccaneers, Chiefs, Rams, 49ers and us.

Bills: Diggs, Davis, Gentry, Hodgins, Kumerow, McKenzie, Stevenson
Buccaneers: Evans, Godwin, Gage, Johnson, Miller, Perriman, Grayson Jr., Darden, Smith, Watkins Jr., Jonsen
Chiefs: Smith-Schuster, MVS, Hardman, Gordon, Watson, Sexton, Powell, Jennings, Fountain, Finke, Dieter, Coleman, Bayless
Rams: Kupp, Jefferson, Robinson, Skowronek, Powell (And perhaps OBJ returning)
49ers: Samuel, Aiyuk, McCloud, Benjamin, Johnson, Mack, Wedington
Packers: Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Winfree, Gafford, Blair, Taylor

Assuming everyone's healthy/barring injury, how many of our guys would be getting significant snaps for any of the other five?

D

Deleted member 6794

While a small fraction of rookie WR's step in and take a #1 or #2 role, that's very unlikely to happen given Rodger's unwillingness to trust rookies and the Packers draft position.

Rodgers will have to throw to receivers he doesn't have a lot of history with this season. No matter if he likes it or not.

I wasn't talking about linebackers in the post you replied to.
That's actually an interesting thought IMO. If we're being honest/objective here....for how many "Super Bowl Contenders" do guys like Lazard, Cobb, etc start for these days? Right now it looks like the top six (including us) betting favorites are the Bills, Buccaneers, Chiefs, Rams, 49ers and us.

Bills: Diggs, Davis, Gentry, Hodgins, Kumerow, McKenzie, Stevenson
Buccaneers: Evans, Godwin, Gage, Johnson, Miller, Perriman, Grayson Jr., Darden, Smith, Watkins Jr., Jonsen
Chiefs: Smith-Schuster, MVS, Hardman, Gordon, Watson, Sexton, Powell, Jennings, Fountain, Finke, Dieter, Coleman, Bayless
Rams: Kupp, Jefferson, Robinson, Skowronek, Powell (And perhaps OBJ returning)
49ers: Samuel, Aiyuk, McCloud, Benjamin, Johnson, Mack, Wedington
Packers: Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Winfree, Gafford, Blair, Taylor

Assuming everyone's healthy/barring injury, how many of our guys would be getting significant snaps for any of the other five?

It's even worse when you include the top tight end for every team as well.

Bills: Dawson Knox
Buccaneers: Cameron Brate, possibly Rob Gronkowski
Chiefs: Travis Kelce
Rams: Tyler Higbee
Niners: George Kittle

There are two elite players at the position with Gronk representing another one. Higbee has put up better stats than any TE on the Packers and Knox is an ascending player that Tonyan might be on the same level at.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard would have a legit shot at being WR #3 for Bills and 49ers. Your point is well taken.

Reaction score
Does it get slight lessly worse if you include each teams running backs as receivers?
Moderately slightly lessly yes
Then you go back to who’s our starting pass catching TE week 1 and we’re back to just lessly

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind the lack of WR talent. I think the Packers can win with defense and running the ball if the special teams don't suck. Heck, why not run the ball 60 percent of the time? The only time the Pacjers won the Super Bowl with Rodgers is when they had a really good defense in 2010. I say go back to that approach and don't worry about passing the ball. Teams are set up to stop the pass with ultra small linebackers and are now vulnerable to a smashmouth running game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One can argue we have starting two at both ILB and OLB but zero proven after.

I’m a Barnes fan and believe he is only getting better but additional guy to push or beat him out one could argue is needed. Especially since depth LBs feed the STs and we are weak there

Rodgers will have to throw to receivers he doesn't have a lot of history with this season. No matter if he likes it or not.

I wasn't talking about linebackers in the post you replied to.

It's even worse when you include the top tight end for every team as well.

Bills: Dawson Knox
Buccaneers: Cameron Brate, possibly Rob Gronkowski
Chiefs: Travis Kelce
Rams: Tyler Higbee
Niners: George Kittle

There are two elite players at the position with Gronk representing another one. Higbee has put up better stats than any TE on the Packers and Knox is an ascending player that Tonyan might be on the same level at.
What about the Ravens TE?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't mind the lack of WR talent. I think the Packers can win with defense and running the ball if the special teams don't suck. Heck, why not run the ball 60 percent of the time? The only time the Pacjers won the Super Bowl with Rodgers is when they had a really good defense in 2010. I say go back to that approach and don't worry about passing the ball. Teams are set up to stop the pass with ultra small linebackers and are now vulnerable to a smashmouth running game.

What was the point of re-signing Rodgers if you don't worry about throwing the ball??? Considering there wasn't a single team running the ball even half the time last season while starting quarterbacks that struggle mightily it's ridiculous to suggest the Packers should run the ball on 60% of the plays while featuring the MVP of the past two seasons. The last time a team ran the ball that often were the Steelers in 2004 while starting a rookie QB.

Gutekunst needs to make sure the Packers have enough talented pass catchers to make the offense work.

What about the Ravens TE?

Andrews is a great tight end but I don't understand your question.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What was the point of re-signing Rodgers if you don't worry about throwing the ball??? Considering there wasn't a single team running the ball even half the time last season while starting quarterbacks that struggle mightily it's ridiculous to suggest the Packers should run the ball on 60% of the plays while featuring the MVP of the past two seasons. The last time a team ran the ball that often were the Steelers in 2004 while starting a rookie QB.

Gutekunst needs to make sure the Packers have enough talented pass catchers to make the offense work.

The first game is 5 months away. I'm pretty sure there are going to be a couple of guys added to the WR room before we play.
It doesn't need to happen before the next news cycle tomorrow though. And this team is not going to need to throw the ball 60% of the time to win games.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why sign Rodgers if the Packers are going to go big into the run game? When they do need to pass, having Rodgers increases the chance of success. Having Rodgers also makes it less likely that teams stack the box. By giving Rodgers a huge contract, it made it way more likely they can't afford top WR talent, thereby forcing the team to stress the run game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you but would flip OL with CB for the second highest need. Jenkins won't be available, who knows with Bakh. Take a WR at #22 and an OL at #28. That said, I'm sure Gluten will move around the board, early and often. And WR will depend on any trade made before the draft.

Reaction score
I agree with you but would flip OL with CB for the second highest need. Jenkins won't be available, who knows with Bakh. Take a WR at #22 and an OL at #28. That said, I'm sure Gluten will move around the board, early and often. And WR will depend on any trade made before the draft.
That’s ideal. Moreso if the right guys are there. We can still get a very good Defender in Round 2 and beyond. Even in Draft Rounds 3-4, we are still talking a Defender who would make a top-20 list from most position groups. That’s from the entire Nation. In the case of CB, that guy is, at best, fighting for a CB4-5 spot. Not exactly a top need in 2022.
At OL? We are fighting for Starter,
WR? Starter #1 and #2
TE? Maybe #2-3
Edge? #3-4 Depth
DT? Rotational #3 piece

We must focus on O this draft. We are possibly 1 more Elgton Jenkins type from becoming a top 5 Rushing Offense. Nothing is happening in the Passing game until we load up for once. Not to mention protecting our entire nucleus of success and $50,000,000 investment.
That starts and stops with #12. If he isn’t protected? kiss it all goodbye.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The first game is 5 months away. I'm pretty sure there are going to be a couple of guys added to the WR room before we play.
It doesn't need to happen before the next news cycle tomorrow though. And this team is not going to need to throw the ball 60% of the time to win games.

I fully expect the Packers to make several moves to improve the wide receiver position before the start of the season. I was replying to another poster that suggested to not worry about the position though.

In addition, I didn't suggest the Packers need to throw the ball 60% of the time to be successful but once again responded to the same poster who advocated for the team to run it on 60% of the plays. That doesn't work in today's NFL anymore, especially when you have the best quarterback in the league.

Why sign Rodgers if the Packers are going to go big into the run game? When they do need to pass, having Rodgers increases the chance of success. Having Rodgers also makes it less likely that teams stack the box. By giving Rodgers a huge contract, it made it way more likely they can't afford top WR talent, thereby forcing the team to stress the run game.

Opponents will stack the box if the Packers run the ball on 60% of the plays. There's no point on having the best quarterback in the league when only planning to use his talent on 40% of the plays.

As a side note, Rodgers' current deal doesn't prevent the Packers from being able to afford top wide receiving talent.

That’s ideal. Moreso if the right guys are there. We can still get a very good Defender in Round 2 and beyond. Even in Draft Rounds 3-4, we are still talking a Defender who would make a top-20 list from most position groups. That’s from the entire Nation. In the case of CB, that guy is, at best, fighting for a CB4-5 spot. Not exactly a top need in 2022.
At OL? We are fighting for Starter,
WR? Starter #1 and #2
TE? Maybe #2-3
Edge? #3-4 Depth
DT? Rotational #3 piece

The Packers might get by with a starting offensive line of Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Newman and Nijman until Jenkins returns from injury. They will need to add some quality depth though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers might be able to squeeze one more veteren player onto the 2022 roster, their cap situation for 2023, 2024, 2025 with dead cap space and back loaded contracts is dire, especially with inflated salaries for WR, QB and CB's. The increasing salary cap will be sucked up by bigger contracts and won't bail the Packers out of their hole. Other than a one year deal for a declining player way past his prime, I don't see a reasonable situation to add a decent veteren on a longer contract without sabotaging future seasons even worse than they are already burdened.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers might be able to squeeze one more veteren player onto the 2022 roster, their cap situation for 2023, 2024, 2025 with dead cap space and back loaded contracts is dire, especially with inflated salaries for WR, QB and CB's. The increasing salary cap will be sucked up by bigger contracts and won't bail the Packers out of their hole. Other than a one year deal for a declining player way past his prime, I don't see a reasonable situation to add a decent veteren on a longer contract without sabotaging future seasons even worse than they are already burdened.
Yeah I was thinking about that yesterday while considering a trade for Brandon Cooks. I'm not sure it's a good idea anyway, the guy can't stay in one place. But he has 12.5 mil in contract to eat this year. That might be doable, but even if it is, it's a band aid. The biggest factor determining the Packers success this year is how they restock the WR group. And they have to do it on a budget. It's never easy when you have a winning team.