Packers to call on Reggie Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Wayne may be relegated to a slot receiver role, it doesn't mean that one of our young guys can't play on the outside. McCarthy has been consistent about everybody learning every position. It's a possibility. I'd trust TT to pull the trigger if he felt that Wayne (or any other free agent) provided enough upside to bump a promising young WR off of the roster. If he makes a move, it's likely because the young guys haven't done enough to reward a spot.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, White and Janis haven't been playing that bad this preseason.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Wayne may be relegated to a slot receiver role, it doesn't mean that one of our young guys can't play on the outside. McCarthy has been consistent about everybody learning every position. It's a possibility. I'd trust TT to pull the trigger if he felt that Wayne (or any other free agent) provided enough upside to bump a promising young WR off of the roster. If he makes a move, it's likely because the young guys haven't done enough to reward a spot.

Ted will do his usual cost/benefit analysis. I honestly don't see us signing him unless Wayne agrees to take a fairly minimal salary. Other teams will probably offer him more $.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Cobb is capable of playing on the outside he's best suited to play the slot. If Thompson decides to bring in a veteran receiver it would make more sense to sign someone used to playing on the outside.

Sky King

Reaction score
Thompson could wait until after the Bears game to sign the best of the journeymen stop-gap receivers to a minimal offer. Or he can roll the dice with the talent he's already got. Nelson, Jennings, Jones, Driver, etc., all took time to develop. The current youngsters will also need a little patience, just the same as their predecessors.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wayne has agreed to a contract with the Patriots.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wayne has agreed to a contract with the Patriots.
Just curious, now that Wayne is off the market, if Thompson & staff evaluate all the available WRs and rate a slot receiver significantly above an outside receiver, would you still have them sign the outside WR? I think I’d opt for the better receiver but that’s probably a moot point regarding the WRs available.

James Jones may be the best option but he just had a pretty good game against Jacksonville with 5 receptions, so he’s making a bid to make their 53. The presence of Ben McAdoo going into his second season as the Giants’ OC probably helps Jones in that regard. But if Thompson & staff view him as the best available option, it would certainly be worth a late round pick to get him IMO.

Reaction score
Fortunately, James Jones will be dropping routine passes in a NY Giants uniform this year.

I'm hearing some chat about Moss, though. My heart says great, but my head wonders how good he'll be at 38 after three years away from the game. It's weird how much I like the guy considering he played for 3 teams I strongly dislike.

I imagine TT and the powers that be will just stick with what we have and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT signs Moss I'll become a fan of soccer.....I think we'll be fine with or without Jordy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just curious, now that Wayne is off the market, if Thompson & staff evaluate all the available WRs and rate a slot receiver significantly above an outside receiver, would you still have them sign the outside WR? I think I’d opt for the better receiver but that’s probably a moot point regarding the WRs available.

I would prefer the outside receiver. The Packers have several guys best suited to play in the slot with Cobb, Montgomery and White but aside of Adams there aren't any outside receivers without major question marks on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fortunately, James Jones will be dropping routine passes in a NY Giants uniform this year.

I'm hearing some chat about Moss, though. My heart says great, but my head wonders how good he'll be at 38 after three years away from the game. It's weird how much I like the guy considering he played for 3 teams I strongly dislike.

I imagine TT and the powers that be will just stick with what we have and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

No way the Packers even consider Moss as an option.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Signed with Pats

Be our guest to make a new thread on other available WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts