Packers to be low key in free agency

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: March 1, 2007

Green Bay - The unrestricted free-agent signing period swings into high gear today but the Green Bay Packers in all likelihood won't be swinging any major deals.

Ted Thompson, who enters his third off-season as the club's general manager, chuckled when it was facetiously mentioned that he loves jumping into free agency with both feet during the first weekend.

"I always do that," Thompson said with tongue planted firmly in cheek. "Make a splash."

As usual, the Packers figure to let the market declare itself for several days if not a week before they start making some moves.

Until the past two days, when almost 40 veteran players were waived throughout the league, the pool of free agents was tepid at best. The cuts certainly helped but this still looks like one of the most diluted groups in the 15 years of unfettered free agency.

"There's some guys that will be able to play roles," Thompson said. "Because of the new CBA, there's a lot of teams that are flush with cash, too. It will be an interesting time."

Before the release of 25 players Thursday could be calculated on the salary cap, the average amount of cap room for the 32 teams was $13.656 million. Only six teams had more room than the Packers, who were $21.2 million beneath their adjusted cap of $109.519 million.

The Packers certainly could join other teams in the bidding wars that are sure to unfold starting today. There are good players fitting some of their biggest needs, but Thompson would sooner lose a good player than pay what he regards as an exorbitant price.

New England's Daniel Graham, the No. 1 tight end, would be a major upgrade over Bubba Franks and David Martin. A ferocious blocker and solid receiver, Graham is on the move because the Patriots also have Benjamin Watson and David Thomas.

Seven or eight teams will be hot after Graham, but the Packers didn't even phone his agent.

Tight end Jerramy Stevens, who was drafted by Thompson in the first round for Seattle in 2002, also is unrestricted and could draw interest from Green Bay. But San Francisco's Eric Johnson, who had 82 receptions in '04 before running into injuries, isn't on Green Bay's radar screen.

Thompson also drafted safety Ken Hamlin in the second round in '03. He's a much better player than Marquand Manuel but the Packers never called on him, either.

Running back Kevan Barlow, who rushed for 581 yards in '05 for San Francisco when Mike McCarthy was the 49ers' offensive coordinator, has been on the street for 10 days but hasn't heard from Green Bay.

A source also said the Packers had expressed interest in Baltimore's Ovie Mughelli, the best blocking fullback. If, as expected, Mughelli lands a big contract from another team, the Packers might well turn to Justin Griffith, Atlanta's starter from 2003-'06.

In the meantime, 36-year-old William Henderson's future in Green Bay remains in limbo. Agent Butch Williams said the Packers had given him no indication if they want another year from Henderson.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT really needs to make a big signing this year. It almost seems like he thinks signing Woodson last year was big enough to last a few years. He has the money. It gets frustrating. Just spend it. Bring in some talent and don't rely on the draft so much.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think he should start signing, although I wouldn't touch Barlow I think he is done, Graham would be a nice pickup.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
last year f/a didnt start till march 11th..

pickett was signed on the 17th..Kampman was signed hours b4 f/a hit..

didnt sign woodson till may 1st..

So while it MIGHT be slow, it could pick up in the middle of the month

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last year f/a didnt start till march 11th..

pickett was signed on the 17th..Kampman was signed hours b4 f/a hit..

didnt sign woodson till may 1st..

So while it MIGHT be slow, it could pick up in the middle of the month

Thats true. I'm hoping for Thomas from the Ravens and Moss is looking better. It's really weird to me that all the talk on all the sports shows is overall positive about the idea of Moss in GB. I'd like to see a veteran RB come in if Green leaves.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh, nice to see a fellow Hawkeye on this site!

:thumbsup: Go Hawks

Anyways Like longtime said it will pickup and this just started so lets see what happens later.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT really needs to make a big signing this year. It almost seems like he thinks signing Woodson last year was big enough to last a few years. He has the money. It gets frustrating. Just spend it. Bring in some talent and don't rely on the draft so much.

This would be a lot easier if the FA's signed this year did not affect what you can do a few years down the road. The really good FA's out there are going to want contracts that calls for MORE money each year.

So it's not all about how much money we have right now.

Not being careful about this is how teams end up with really good players leaving because they don't have the money to retain them. They are paying out the yin yang for previously signed FA's who often aren't performing at the level of the players they now cannot afford to keep.

Where I come from it's called ******** yourself. So before you get all frustrated take a deep breath and be thankful that we are resigning guys we definately don't want to get away, EXTENDING contracts for guys in that same catagory, and, finding those FA's that actually help us.

Our contract situation and cap position is tight. By tight I mean good so be careful for what you wish for.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'll be low key too...Adalius is gonna go to San Fran, that's my guess, and after him, there's not a lot of high profile guys out there that suit our need...Nate Clements and the o-linemen that are out there; there's no point for us to take a look at...the biggest contract I see us signing is Dan Graham...and big TE money still isnt anything that will bankrupt us

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, as is my yearly habit, I am now OFFICIALLY wondering why TT seems content (again) to sit back and let FAs come to him and begging to play for the re-building Packers. I could understand it if we were tight againest the cap. He'll only need $5mil to sign draft picks at the most. Granted, this is not a great year for talented FAs, but the few that are in the top group are worth going after. At least, call their agents and express interest. When the best of this group are gone, I suppose TT will go after the cheap leftovers....tell me how that will upgrade our team. IMO, it would be a crime to go to camp with $15mil left in the bank. It scares me that he may be holding the money in the hopes that the crazy Moss deal will go through. I know many fans see Moss as our "missing link". I don't. I'm also concerned that TT has not cut guys who no longer perform for us. Hoping againest hope that guys like Fergy and Bubba will miracullessly find their former talents is an exercise in futility. If you aren't progressing in this league, you're regressing. It's great to draft well but our team is already the youngest in the league. Soon we'll be serving pablum in training camp. We need difference makers, and we have only 8 draft picks. Can you say Crap shoot? I feel better now since I've expressed my yearly frustration during FA.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
it amazes me how people get all bent out of shape when its the 1st few hours of f/a

if its a week into it and no reports of the pack bringing in anyone then yeah time to wonder..but not now

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, as is my yearly habit, I am now OFFICIALLY wondering why TT seems content (again) to sit back and let FAs come to him and begging to play for the re-building Packers.

oh my god youre right, tony pashos just signed with the jags! tony pashos!...is a tackle,

you see this free agent class really doesnt suit our needs...Nate Clements is probably the top free agent, and we're good at corner...a lot of o-linemen, Eric Steinbach, Leonard Davis, Luke Petitgout, etc...and we'ere content with the five guys we had last season...I don't want to break the bank with Adalius Thomas, and if SF is willing to, go for it...I want to see us make a play for Deon Grant or Dan Graham, but other than that, there's really no earth-shattering aquisition out there for us

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
As much as it sounds depressing, I agree with you here, some other nice players that would help but none are must have's, Including MOSS.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
it amazes me how people get all bent out of shape when its the 1st few hours of f/a

if its a week into it and no reports of the pack bringing in anyone then yeah time to wonder..but not now

forgot to mention, just cuz no reports f/a are being brought in doesnt mean its happening...

recall last year? Lavar Arrington was available and people were PISSED Ted hadnt brought him in or called..Then what happenes? We come to find out Lavar was in GB and it was scheduled for a while but no one knew.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forgot to mention, just cuz no reports f/a are being brought in doesnt mean its happening...

recall last year? Lavar Arrington was available and people were PISSED Ted hadnt brought him in or called..Then what happenes? We come to find out Lavar was in GB and it was scheduled for a while but no one knew.

Couldn't be more correct...while you're on that, if we would've spent all the money for Arrington, where would that have gotten us last season? I dont know what everybody is so upset about, I buy into Ted's philosophy of...wait a minute...everyone thinks this is major league baseball where highest offer wins and we can get away with as little guaranteed money as possible but its not,

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but Graham isn't all that special.

He is Bubba Franks, just a couple of steps quicker. If Graham wants around a 12 million signing bonus with 5 million per year (as reported), I'm sorry that is too much.

Graham is a good blocker, but then again Bubba did a solid job blocking for us this year.

Graham is, at best, an average receiver. That isn't all that much better than Bubba. By Graham's own admission, he needs to improve in his pass catching, so it isn't as if signing Graham would solve our TE problems.

As for TT, I think this is the most emotion we've seen out of him in terms of sarcasm. It was funny.

I like what TT is doing, he seems to have players that he has targeted, but will get in touch with them in due time and not overpay to get a player in the early stages. No offense to anyone, but if you think a player like CB Nate Clements is gonna sign with the Packers and realize there is a good shot he'd be the #3 CB for two years, I'm not sure he'd jump on that opportunity.

ALSO, DEION SANDERS said, during the scouting combine, there are only a handful of players that can play press coverage (the type of coverage the Packers run on D). He mentioned Al Harris, C. Woodson, and not once did he mention Nate Clements.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I like what TT is doing, he seems to have players that he has targeted, but will get in touch with them in due time and not overpay to get a player in the early stages. No offense to anyone, but if you think a player like CB Nate Clements is gonna sign with the Packers and realize there is a good shot he'd be the #3 CB for two years, I'm not sure he'd jump on that opportunity.

This is a good post...I agree, I WANT Graham, but he might not be worth what the market will throw at him, still an upgrade at TE, but there are others out there who upgrade as well...Jerramy Stevens, but he has a hands problem...Eric Johnson, health problems...will come cheaper and might be worth the chance...if we sign one of these guys (or some random, non-high profile guy) how much worse could it be...our starting tight end last year barely broke into the 20's in receptions, and Lee/Martin weren't that good either...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He is Bubba Franks, just a couple of steps quicker. If Graham wants around a 12 million signing bonus with 5 million per year (as reported), I'm sorry that is too much.

Graham is a good blocker, but then again Bubba did a solid job blocking for us this year.

Graham is, at best, an average receiver. That isn't all that much better than Bubba. By Graham's own admission, he needs to improve in his pass catching, so it isn't as if signing Graham would solve our TE problems.

I disagree. He's a good receiver as well. New England spreads the ball around very often on offense and that's why he didn't have 40 or 50 catches a year. Put him in an offense will he'll play a bigger role in and he can obtain those types of numbers. He's a good player. Head and shoulders better than Bubba Franks.

Now is he worth that kind of money? I doubt it and that's overpaying drastically for him and that’d put him in the top 3 to 5 highest paid Tight Ends in the league. I find it hard to believe he'll get 5 mil a year and 12 mil up front.

My best guess. He ends up playing for the Vikings next year because they're the most likely team to overpay for any free agent out there. That's how they work.

Reaction score
Hates, I think the whole situation with David Martin might have made Ted cautious of injury risks.

Just as we thought Martin was FINALLY stepping into a big role, he got injured. Players like Johnson, while they may have good upside, are too big of an injury risk to sign.

I'm beginning to think more and more everyday that we'll draft a #2 TE in the draft. I am really intrigued by Michael Allan, a D-III player that ran the 2nd fastest 40 for a TE.

Reaction score
Porky, the sense that I got from reading TT's quotes is that he identifies players on what type of role the can fill in for the team.

If Graham's role is going to be too high, I think TT will have identified someone (younger) who could fill in the same role that Graham would, he might not be as good as it initially but there will be the room to grow, and he won't overpay for that role.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky, the sense that I got from reading TT's quotes is that he identifies players on what type of role the can fill in for the team.

If Graham's role is going to be too high, I think TT will have identified someone (younger) who could fill in the same role that Graham would, he might not be as good as it initially but there will be the room to grow, and he won't overpay for that role.

Thompson will sign mid tier free agents. I don't see him going out for an elite name. I wouldn't mind Adalius Thomas but that's not how Thompson runs things. Nothing wrong with that. That’s one way to stay cap friend every year and it gives you more options in the draft and with trades as well. This year there aren't many elite names.

I think a safety like Mike Doss could be someone under the radar. A Tight End like Jeremy Stevens would make some sense. If what PFT is reporting is accurate then Stevens market value will rise as he's the best TE in terms of longevity and production on the market.

I do know for a fact that Graham was in Denver today for a visit so it could be a legit report.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to John Clayton the Packers are in the mix for Adalius Thomas but are not the frontrunner. Thomas will probably land in New England or San Francisco.

If he doesn't get a deal done then Green Bay is probably going to schedule a visit or I would assume.

I can't link you because it's ESPN insider material.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throwing alot of money around just because you have it doesn't make you smart. I'd rather have cooler heads prevail, then end up going "why did we do THAT for THAT kind of money?"
TT will do what he feels is necessary to get the job done. Me.......i want to see it NOW too, but i know thats not always the smart way.
Sometimes these bidding wars make people do crazy things. Pay MUCH more then is the smart thing to do.
Theres still time in FA to make a splash. Heck, it just started!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The thing with Adalius Thomas that I think people are missing, they moved him around alot in the games, we would be asking him to play mostly DE, he is only 270 pounds and may wear down similar to KGB. I don't see Sanders moving his guy around that much, too complex, this is a young defense for the most part. I don't see that impact that he would have here. On D, we need a strong veteran Safety to QB the backfield, that is the most important thing I see missing in this D. And I am sorry Deon Grant is about the best out there.

Hey a guy the got cut today, if he can stay healthy would make out LB that much stonger. Ed Hartwell, put him in the middle and kick Barnett to the outside for Brady. But would we move Barnett outside? And what development is Hodge going to show:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts