Packers sign Mo Wilkerson

Reaction score
My last few dream ILBs, Mosley and Shazier, have gone a few picks before us in the draft and I'm afraid Roquan Smith will be the same.
Agreed that’s a risk. It is very possible that Gutes aggressiveness will not come to a hault.
It’s very possible GB trades up in the 1st to get a player that slips into a position we can afford.
The Bills now hold the #12 spot and the only one they’d have to worry about is the Redskins before doing a trade. The Skins just invested 17M in Alex Smith and will look to get help on the DL or at LB. that’s not good for us at D unless there are 2 players left on D that we deem equal in value. We can at the very least find out which position the Bills want that way. That leaves the only the Skins left. Either way negotiating is a strength even if the ideal situation falls through. Knowledge is power.
We should consider trading a couple of picks to move to #12 if necessary.
#14,#101, and a 6th round comp should entice them.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would I bother researching such a thing? The humor was not obvious. You should consider rethinking that as well as Wilkerson as a "kind of edge".

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

FYI: Pettine would occasionally line Wilkerson up as an edge. But what does he know, huh?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got a link? Did he drop 35 lbs.? If not, that's a very bad idea.

"Under Pettine and coach Rex Ryan, the Jets used the long-limbed and powerful Wilkerson all over the defensive front. He could play several different positions in the base defense and also line up inside on passing downs to rush the quarterback. Pettine was even comfortable using him on the edge in certain situations."

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...n-had-best-season-in-2012-under-mike-pettine/

H

HardRightEdge

H

HardRightEdge

Like I said, he used him there occasionally. You can go ahead and admit you're wrong now.
Playing DE is not necessarily "edge rusher" as in the note above. Pettine can go ahead and try it, but it will be a mistake. Nobody in this league thinks he can play that position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't give a **** what they call him. If he somehow gets back to 10 or 12 sacks it's a damn good signing. Even if he only gets 6 from the DL it's worth it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Easy boys. We got this. It's March 16th and were far better off then where I thought we would be at this point. There is reason for optimism and Gute is showing he is more then willing to do what is neccessary. I am also feeling good about the "Pettine Plan" and the direction of the defense under him.

This is gonna get really good.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing DE is not necessarily "edge rusher" as in the note above. Pettine can go ahead and try it, but it will be a mistake. Nobody in this league thinks he can play that position.

Pettine *has* done it. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not advocating for him to play there often, just that he has the versatility to slide there if needed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here are the contract details for Wilkerson. He will count $4.7 million towards the cap in 2018.

Signing bonus: $1.5 million.

Base salary: $1.6 million.

Reporting bonus: $1 million.

Per-game roster bonus (total): $600,000.

*Deal includes $2.75 million of unlikely-to-be earned incentives.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Here are the contract details for Wilkerson. He will count $4.7 million towards the cap in 2018.

Signing bonus: $1.5 million.

Base salary: $1.6 million.

Reporting bonus: $1 million.

Per-game roster bonus (total): $600,000.

*Deal includes $2.75 million of unlikely-to-be earned incentives.
Brilliantly executed, IMO.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"You have no cornerbacks" was for point of emphasis. You have no #1 corner, you have no slot corner. Better?

McCray may or may not do well at RG especially if he has to play next to Spriggs.

Biegel and Gilbert have shown you nothing.

$5 mil packaged with another piece of cap could get you a player to fill one of these starter holes instead of a rotational player.

That thing called the draft? You could have gotten a rotational DT if that's what you were looking for.

All defensive linemen are rotational, some more than others. But make no mistake about it Wilkerson is a starter on this and any team and he's just as good as Mike Daniels or Kenny Clark.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Got a link? Did he drop 35 lbs.? If not, that's a very bad idea.

This is a PFF article assessing the Jets' DL heading into the 2016 season. Here is the pertinent section:

On the other hand, Wilkerson played admirably as an edge defender last season when pressed into that role. Despite his size (6-foot-4, 315 pounds), he posted a total pass-rushing productivity mark of 10.7, which was on par with some of the better edge rushers in the league. If Wilkerson can convince the Jets that he’s a plus edge player (at least part-time) for the foreseeable future, re-signing him to a mega deal to play him alongside Richardson and Williams will give New York a much-coveted trio to build around up front.

Wilkerson's versatility with the Jets is no secret. We will see what the present iteration can do, but JJ's claim that he was used quite a bit on the edge is pretty common knowledge.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per footballoutsiders, the Packers saw a total of 1058 defensive snaps in 2017.

That's an average of 66 snaps per game.
  • Kenny Clark averaged 46 snaps per game played, or 70% of the average total.
  • Mike Daniels averaged 45 snaps per game played, or 68% of the average total.
  • Dean Lowry averaged 31 snaps per game played, or 47% of the average total.
  • Quinton Dial averaged 24 snaps per game played, 36% of the average total.
So even if you assume that the DL usage is going to remain constant under Pettine, which I doubt as he traditionally uses more DL than Capers, you're still talking about a role where Wilkerson plays about half of the snaps on defense. It also has a ripple effect in that Lowry, a solid starter, becomes a 35-40% backup, and you keep non-starter talent like Dial off the field.

It's absurd to argue that Wilkerson is filling a role that will only be used 20-25% of the time.

Wilkerson is a high upside flier. If he comes in healthy and motivated, he could pay off huge. If he does not, he's depth and signing him did not harm the Packers in any way. His 5M$ cap hit has not been debilitating in any way. There is almost no downside.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per footballoutsiders, the Packers saw a total of 1058 defensive snaps in 2017.

That's an average of 66 snaps per game.
  • Kenny Clark averaged 46 snaps per game played, or 70% of the average total.
  • Mike Daniels averaged 45 snaps per game played, or 68% of the average total.
  • Dean Lowry averaged 31 snaps per game played, or 47% of the average total.
  • Quinton Dial averaged 24 snaps per game played, 36% of the average total.
So even if you assume that the DL usage is going to remain constant under Pettine, which I doubt as he traditionally uses more DL than Capers, you're still talking about a role where Wilkerson plays about half of the snaps on defense. It also has a ripple effect in that Lowry, a solid starter, becomes a 35-40% backup, and you keep non-starter talent like Dial off the field.

It's absurd to argue that Wilkerson is filling a role that will only be used 20-25% of the time.

Wilkerson is a high upside flier. If he comes in healthy and motivated, he could pay off huge. If he does not, he's depth and signing him did not harm the Packers in any way. His 5M$ cap hit has not been debilitating in any way. There is almost no downside.

I'm just going to recruit you to make my responses for me because you're a lot better at it. Literally could not have said that better.

H

HardRightEdge

Wilkerson's versatility with the Jets is no secret. We will see what the present iteration can do, but JJ's claim that he was used quite a bit on the edge is pretty common knowledge.
Evidently the Jets, and nobody else in the league, agrees that Wilkerson is an edge rusher. Otherwise, we would not have signed him for $4.7 mil.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Evidently the Jets, and nobody else in the league, agrees that Wilkerson is an edge rusher. Otherwise, we would not have signed him for $4.7 mil.

Read what I said, HRE. Wilkerson did those things with the Jets— particularly when Pettine was there.

His effort and effectiveness have waned across the board in recent seasons (also common knowledge). That is why he is not with the Jets and why the Packers got him at a discount.

Like I already said, I don’t know what he will be with the Packers. But you scoffed at the claim that he spent significant time at edge and asked for a link. I provided you one. You were misinformed.

Maybe he won’t do anything of the kind in Green Bay. I’m not claiming to know. But I really like the move because there are significant snaps open to him here if he is healthy and motivated, and if he’s 75% of his peak form from years back, he’ll be a bargain.

H

HardRightEdge

But I really like the move because there are significant snaps open to him here if he is healthy and motivated, and if he’s 75% of his peak form from years back, he’ll be a bargain.
Not playing off the edge he won't.

Members online

Latest posts