Packers sign Mo Wilkerson

H

HardRightEdge

It's a lot like him signing Martellus Bennett last year, actually.
Yes, there are similarities. If it does turn out to be a one year deal then there's less risk than in the Bennett deal.

This is not the best expenditure of cap.

Reaction score
Wow, Pettine must’ve had some serious pull. That’s a cheap contract for the big guy, I honestly had him at the 10M floor contract range. I figured someone would out bid us for a little over 10M or so. Wow

I’m still irritated with how they did Jordy. But I’ll give Gute kudos for having the ****** to pull this off.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wow, Pettine must’ve had some serious pull. That’s a cheap contract for the big guy, I honestly had him at the 10M floor contract range. I figured someone would out bid us for a little over that. Wow.

I’m still irritated with how they did Jordy. But I’ll give Gute kudos for having the ****** to pull this off.

I would be willing to wager other teams did outbid the Packers which is a great sign.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
C’mon B! You’re just glad you’re one step closer to Sutton. Just say it! Lol.

LOL. The Courtland Sutton train is getting ready to hit top speed. I couldn't be happier on how things are playing out. I am confident Gute has a plan at corner too.

Reaction score
LOL. The Courtland Sutton train is getting ready to hit top speed. I couldn't be happier on how things are playing out. I am confident Gute has a plan at corner too.
The one thing a solid starting FA CB would do is allow us the the option to wait until the second day to draft another one.
That means one realistic outcome is we could go either OLB, WR or WR, OLB depending on who gets picked before us.

Reaction score
Bro I’ll be happy for you if Courtland Sutton is wearing a GB ballcap this Spring. :p
Partly because that means we’ve already shored up at CB

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think chalk this signing up to Pettine and Wilkerson wanting to play for him and a winning franchise as well. Sounds like the Packers were the low bidder, yet landed big Mo.

http://packerstalk.com/2018/03/14/packers-win-mo-wilkerson-sweepstakes-despite-a-low-bid/
Talk about a perfect storm! This guy took less chili to play for a coach he had great success under. I remember him a few years back and he was an absolute animal. He was in the backfield as soon as the QB hit his drop. Getting a guy this talented with his motivation tank running on full could be a godsend for the defense. I don't think it's out of line to think Clay could wind up with his first double digit sack season in a while as the line is going to wreak havoc on many OL's. I expect MP to move 52 around and have him coming from multiple angles throughout the game. I PRAY Vince can prove his worth this year and I really feel we hit on a good one in Reggie Gilbert (see below). Nick will miss a couple games but maybe we can keep him on a bit of a pitch count lessening his exposure to injury? When he is right, he's a handful. I remain hopeful something comes together with the CB situation because if we can improve there we have a legit chance at being a pretty stout D. That just feels odd to say...

Check out this bite from Bak talking about Gilbert from last December...
“He’s good,” left tackle David Bakhtiari said. “I’ve gone against him a lot, me and (right tackle) Bryan (Bulaga) have. We’ve been kind of baffled that he hasn’t had his chance. But we always told him, ‘Look, just keep doing your thing and you’ll get your opportunity. Keep paying the piper, and eventually he will reward you.’ And he’s rewarded, you see it. Definitely taking advantage of an opportunity. To be honest, I’m not too shocked about his production.”

I know this is similar to a post I made yesterday but I am jacked up on Mt. Dew and FA for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time! G P G!!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our base lineup is going to be siiiiiick.

So you've got 5 OL, maybe a TE, and you're going up against Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson...plus Perry and Matthews on the edge. Is there a C in the league that can handle Clark on his own? Not consistently, that's for sure. Ok, so if you double up on Clark, you're going to let Daniels and Wilkerson go one-on-one, plus Perry and Matthews get to go one-on-one?! Ok, so maybe they'll double Daniels, or double Wilkerson. We got options. All 3 of our lineman can win one-on-one battles, and Lowry was a good starter, so he's an awesome sub to have. Go ahead and use a TE to help, less people to cover. This will help our pass defense so much. Don't even bother run on us, it ain't happening. Get some fast LB's because our line is gonna eat up blockers.

Interior pressure is king, and we're going to get lots of it.

Reaction score
It’s been said long ago that the battles are won in the trenches. This makes sense from a variety of angles. A 350lb D lineman charging is disruptive and very hard to redirect with blocking, especially if he’s good with footwork and hand work. He’s basically a larger version of Big Mike.
But the indirect result is you can bring pressure from all sides just rushing 4-5 and the QB timing is interrupted which forces the Passer to release earlier than anticipated. If you use this in conjunction with playing aggressive off the line on Receivers mistakes happen.
Part of what I surmise is that Pettine will do the full court press on receivers more and less zone, particular when sending an extra pass rusher. Catches will still be made, but it will create occasional mistakes on Offense (Turnovers and dropped or batted passes) and mitigate YAC.
Now we could use another ILB next to Martinez with solid coverage skills and Pass rushing expertise. That’s where someone like Edmunds or Roquon comes into play.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe the Packers have the potential to get great pass rush and run stopping out of those three up front (Daniels, Clark, and Mo). Key is going to be the Packers finding a safety/linebacker who can help take away those quick passes to running backs (the Pats, Falcons, and Eagles love those). This will certainly help with the downfield passing defense though, not going to be a ton of time for QBs to wait for guys to get open downfield.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s been said long ago that the battles are won in the trenches. This makes sense from a variety of angles. A 350lb D lineman charging is disruptive and very hard to redirect with blocking, especially if he’s good with footwork and hand work. He’s basically a larger version of Big Mike.
But the indirect result is you can bring pressure from all sides just rushing 4-5 and the QB timing is interrupted which forces the Passer to release earlier than anticipated. If you use this in conjunction with playing aggressive off the line on Receivers mistakes happen.
Part of what I surmise is that Pettine will do the full court press on receivers more and less zone, particular when sending an extra pass rusher. Catches will still be made, but it will create occasional mistakes on Offense (Turnovers and dropped or batted passes) and mitigate YAC.
Now we could use another ILB next to Martinez with solid coverage skills and Pass rushing expertise. That’s where someone like Edmunds or Roquon comes into play.
This is where picking up a solid CB or two PRIOR to the draft is my dream scenario. I keep envisioning Roquan and Blake playing together and it could be a beautiful thing. I think Blake is just scratching the surface. Nobody will ever confuse him for Urlacher but I think he can be a force in the middle for years to come. Smart, tough and plenty athletic enough. RS is a special player. He fits the mold of the new ILB as he's around that 225-230 lb range and can flat out run. Watching him is a treat and that's coming from a still bitter OU fan. We've seen what guys like him can do for a D (Shazier, Mosely, Jones) and with the beef we now have up front it would be awesome having a guy like Roquan flowing to the ball. That's not even mentioning the importance of shadowing RB's coming out of the backfield which is only going to grow in popularity. Dream scenario but that's what this time of year is for, no?!?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is where picking up a solid CB or two PRIOR to the draft is my dream scenario. I keep envisioning Roquan and Blake playing together and it could be a beautiful thing. I think Blake is just scratching the surface. Nobody will ever confuse him for Urlacher but I think he can be a force in the middle for years to come. Smart, tough and plenty athletic enough. RS is a special player. He fits the mold of the new ILB as he's around that 225-230 lb range and can flat out run. Watching him is a treat and that's coming from a still bitter OU fan. We've seen what guys like him can do for a D (Shazier, Mosely, Jones) and with the beef we now have up front it would be awesome having a guy like Roquan flowing to the ball. That's not even mentioning the importance of shadowing RB's coming out of the backfield which is only going to grow in popularity. Dream scenario but that's what this time of year is for, no?!?

Although I am still waiting to see how Free Agency shakes out for the Packers, right now Roquan would be my dream pick.

I noticed that the Packers did not tender Joe Thomas, so guessing his ILB'ing days are done in Green Bay.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there are similarities. If it does turn out to be a one year deal then there's less risk than in the Bennett deal.

This is not the best expenditure of cap.

Muhammad wilkerson for a 5 million dollar cap hit is about as good as it gets as far as expenditure of cap

H

HardRightEdge

Muhammad wilkerson for a 5 million dollar cap hit is about as good as it gets as far as expenditure of cap
Not when you have a whole lot of other holes to consider, for now and next season, and he'll be in rotation with Daniels and Clark. The only time all 3 will be on the field is in a base 3-4, if Pettine will even run that, or a run sell-out front such as goal line. That's with a decent run defender already in the mix in Lowry. The only way this makes sense is if he gets heavy pass rush rotation because he's simply better at it than those other guys which is a dubious proposition given his performance the last two years after the Jets showed him the money.

Evans was good deal last year for a one-and-done contract at $2.5 million. Not so much this time.

NJPackersfan32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My last few dream ILBs, Mosley and Shazier, have gone a few picks before us in the draft and I'm afraid Roquan Smith will be the same.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I am still waiting to see how Free Agency shakes out for the Packers, right now Roquan would be my dream pick.

I noticed that the Packers did not tender Joe Thomas, so guessing his ILB'ing days are done in Green Bay.
I noticed that as well. Each year it just felt like we were so far behind everyone else when it came to coverage LB's. Thomas wasn't real good but he was the best we had. Roquan is a guy that would never come off the field. He's also surgical in play diagnosis and would work amazingly well with a smart guy like Blake I'm guessing. You and I are lockstep on this one, bro. The folks talking his size haven't caught up to the way the game is now played. Imagine a F7 of Perry, Kenny, MoWil, Mike D, Clay, Roquan and Blake. Now that's something MP could do some damage with!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Agreed, $5M in the NFL these days seems like a drop in the bucket for any starter, yet alone a guy with Wilkersons upside.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think chalk this signing up to Pettine and Wilkerson wanting to play for him and a winning franchise as well. Sounds like the Packers were the low bidder, yet landed big Mo.

http://packerstalk.com/2018/03/14/packers-win-mo-wilkerson-sweepstakes-despite-a-low-bid/

Maybe I missed something but I didn't see anything that said he took less from the Packers. I saw where they said it was possible but that means it was also possible they were the high bidder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something but I didn't see anything that said he took less from the Packers. I saw where they said it was possible but that means it was also possible they were the high bidder.

You could be right, I guess I interpreted the headline:

Packers Win Mo Wilkerson Sweepstakes Despite Low Bid

As meaning they were the lowest bid. However it worked out, he is a Packer. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I noticed that as well. Each year it just felt like we were so far behind everyone else when it came to coverage LB's. Thomas wasn't real good but he was the best we had. Roquan is a guy that would never come off the field. He's also surgical in play diagnosis and would work amazingly well with a smart guy like Blake I'm guessing. You and I are lockstep on this one, bro. The folks talking his size haven't caught up to the way the game is now played. Imagine a F7 of Perry, Kenny, MoWil, Mike D, Clay, Roquan and Blake. Now that's something MP could do some damage with!

I was never a Joe Thomas fan and I haven't hid it through the years. He always seemed a bit lost and overwhelmed out there. But as you alluded to, he and many prior to him, represented what the Packers seemed to be willing to settle for at ILB. I really hope Martinez keeps getting better and a guy like Roquan can be added to really shore up a position that I feel is more important than the resources the Packers have put into it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not when you have a whole lot of other holes to consider, for now and next season, and he'll be in rotation with Daniels and Clark. The only time all 3 will be on the field is in a base 3-4, if Pettine will even run that, or a run sell-out front such as goal line. That's with a decent run defender already in the mix in Lowry. The only way this makes sense is if he gets heavy pass rush rotation because he's simply better at it than those other guys which is a dubious proposition given his performance the last two years after the Jets showed him the money.

Evans was good deal last year for a one-and-done contract at $2.5 million. Not so much this time.

Wilkerson has 8 sacks over the past 2 seasons while Mike Daniels has 9 and Kenny Clark 4.5. So I'm not sure how dubious of a proposition it is that he's gonna rush the passer just as good or better than his 2 linemates

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson has 8 sacks over the past 2 seasons while Mike Daniels has 9 and Kenny Clark 4.5. So I'm not sure how dubious of a proposition it is that he's gonna rush the passer just as good or better than his 2 linemates
There's the thought he can still return to the previous 3 years where he had almost 30 sacks. The guy "can" create a lot of problems from the Dline position. and putting him next to 2 guys that I think can do much more than they've been allowed to in this defense and pairing him with a coach that used him to cause such disruption will light a little fire under him and see. before his drop off, he had 12 sacks in a season. I'm glad they didn't spend top dollar to "see" if he still wanted to play. But at 5 million i'm more than fine to let him come and prove it for a year. But I think Clark is just getting to that point in his game and a scheme change might allow him to create further disruptions more often back there.

Members online

Latest posts