Packers sign Mo Wilkerson

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson has 8 sacks over the past 2 seasons while Mike Daniels has 9 and Kenny Clark 4.5. So I'm not sure how dubious of a proposition it is that he's gonna rush the passer just as good or better than his 2 linemates

If Green Bay can keep all three healthy and on the field, that could create problems for opposing offenses. Can't double team everybody......

Ultimately, the biggest beneficiary of such an imposing front-three could be Clay Matthews and Nick Perry. Time will tell.

H

HardRightEdge

Wilkerson has 8 sacks over the past 2 seasons while Mike Daniels has 9 and Kenny Clark 4.5. So I'm not sure how dubious of a proposition it is that he's gonna rush the passer just as good or better than his 2 linemates
Some folks seem to have the expectation Wilkerson will find his mojo again in the Pettine system. It's reasonable to think Pettine pounded the table for him. However, the fact it's a one year deal indicates this is a reclamation project. I share your skepticism. I was merely trying to rationalize why they would spend $5 million for this player.

H

HardRightEdge

If Green Bay can keep all three healthy and on the field, that could create problems for opposing offenses. Can't double team everybody......

Ultimately, the biggest beneficiary of such an imposing front-three could be Clay Matthews and Nick Perry. Time will tell.
None of these guys are defensive ends except in base 3-4 which is a run down defense not likely to be used more than 20-25% of the time. And Lowry does well in that role. He's just not a pass rusher. None of these guys is an edge rusher.

Wilkerson's value would be more evident if one of the other guys are not healthy. $5 million is a lot for depth and rotation when several starter positions are up in the air.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$5 million is 2.8% of the cap. That's a lot of money? Please.

We're looking at a contract that is at minimum, 2.8% of the cap and at maximum, 4.5% of the cap. I'm pretty ok with that.

If you bother to watch his tape, you see a guy that showed out on national games when people were watching, and gave a lackluster effort the majority of the time. If he truly does come out to play, and gives effort, $8M will be a bargain. If he doesn't, and just plays like he did last year, $5M is still a suitable amount.

The DL needs depth. They need a rotation. Right now we have Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Wilkerson, and Adams. If one of them gets hurt, that puts us in a pinch. Two guys get hurt, then we're really screwed.

Acting like this is a bad deal is one of the weirdest things I've seen. It's a one year deal! It won't hamper us for the future. Good grief.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No 3-4 end is ever an edge rusher. Don't expect them to be. They play from the 5T or 3T. That doesn't mean they can't provide a pass rush, as evidenced by Wilkerson getting 10+ sacks multiple times in his career.

Stop acting like an edge rusher is the only place to get pressure. Interior pressure is king!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be right, I guess I interpreted the headline:

Packers Win Mo Wilkerson Sweepstakes Despite Low Bid

As meaning they were the lowest bid. However it worked out, he is a Packer. :)

And you may be right and its an easy assumption to make. I just don't put much faith in headlines. They are designed to get you to read the article where the truth should come out. Unless you are reading the "Onion"

I just don't want people to start throwing out the idea that Mo took less money to play here when it may not be true. It makes all Packer fans look bad since non fans tend to take what one fan says as meaning all Packer fans are saying.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Muhammad wilkerson for a 5 million dollar cap hit is about as good as it gets as far as expenditure of cap

It is pretty darn good. Has anyone heard anything about what the unlikely to be earned incentives are. We could be looking at a 3 million dollar dead cap hit next year. Presumably we are much better against the cap next year so it may not be a big deal but if the incentives are met the piper will get paid.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We're looking at a contract that is at minimum, 2.8% of the cap and at maximum, 4.5% of the cap. I'm pretty ok with that.

If you bother to watch his tape, you see a guy that showed out on national games when people were watching, and gave a lackluster effort the majority of the time. If he truly does come out to play, and gives effort, $8M will be a bargain. If he doesn't, and just plays like he did last year, $5M is still a suitable amount.

The DL needs depth. They need a rotation. Right now we have Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Wilkerson, and Adams. If one of them gets hurt, that puts us in a pinch. Two guys get hurt, then we're really screwed.

Acting like this is a bad deal is one of the weirdest things I've seen. It's a one year deal! It won't hamper us for the future. Good grief.

A one year deal for guy who at his best could singlehandedly ruin an offensive gameplan.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never a Joe Thomas fan and I haven't hid it through the years. He always seemed a bit lost and overwhelmed out there. But as you alluded to, he and many prior to him, represented what the Packers seemed to be willing to settle for at ILB. I really hope Martinez keeps getting better and a guy like Roquan can be added to really shore up a position that I feel is more important than the resources the Packers have put into it.
It really has felt like an afterthought position over the past few years. When they kept tinkering with the idea of moving Bradford to ILB, I knew this position didn't carry that much importance to the staff. Blake, to me, has all the makings of a guy on the rise. I think he could be a consistent performer for years to come as he takes his craft seriously and is a freak about keeping his body in tiptop shape. We saw a nice jump last year and I expect an even bigger jump this upcoming season. I buy in to the notion of the game "slowing down" once you've been in the league for a while and I feel that is why BM is ready to flash even more. He won't be thinking as much rather trusting his film study/play diagnosis and attacking. If BM can continue to improve and we add a special talent the likes of Roquan, look out.

H

HardRightEdge

You have no cornerbacks. You don't have a RG. There's zero depth at edge rusher. You have one wideout position vacant. There's some good grief for you. The cap needed to be spent elsewhere.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You have no cornerbacks. There's some good grief for you.

Right now that is my major concern, the CB position, once again. It was made worse this morning when I unrolled my daily newspaper and read "Quinten Rollins remains as the most experienced CB on the roster". :eek::eek::eek:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have no cornerbacks. You don't have a RG. There's zero depth at edge rusher. You have one wideout position vacant. There's some good grief for you. The cap needed to be spent elsewhere.

We have one CB. We can sign more.

We have McCray who can start at RG and do well.

We have a little depth at edge in Biegel and Gilbert.

And yes, we will probably need another WR.

$5M isn't going to keep us from addressing that. If there's a player they want at this point, they can make the money work. Easily done.

There's also this thing called the draft coming up. You can find players there! We're not going to have all of our needs (which you are overstating) filled by the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

We have one CB. We can sign more.

We have McCray who can start at RG and do well.

We have a little depth at edge in Biegel and Gilbert.

And yes, we will probably need another WR.

$5M isn't going to keep us from addressing that. If there's a player they want at this point, they can make the money work. Easily done.

There's also this thing called the draft coming up. You can find players there! We're not going to have all of our needs (which you are overstating) filled by the draft.
"You have no cornerbacks" was for point of emphasis. You have no #1 corner, you have no slot corner. Better?

McCray may or may not do well at RG especially if he has to play next to Spriggs.

Biegel and Gilbert have shown you nothing.

$5 mil packaged with another piece of cap could get you a player to fill one of these starter holes instead of a rotational player.

That thing called the draft? You could have gotten a rotational DT if that's what you were looking for.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think pass rush is going to finally come from big guys being left on the field and collapse the pocket to have rushers blitz off of and around rather than put 5OLBs on the field to run into an offensive lineman. I think Clay is going to be more in his role from a couple seasons ago and be coming from more places and play more ILB and rush from there than your traditional OLB. They'll have a steady rotation of young guys out there and hope one separates himself at Clay' old position.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think pass rush is going to finally come from big guys being left on the field and collapse the pocket to have rushers blitz off of and around rather than put 5OLBs on the field to run into an offensive lineman. I think Clay is going to be more in his role from a couple seasons ago and be coming from more places and play more ILB and rush from there than your traditional OLB. They'll have a steady rotation of young guys out there and hope one separates himself at Clay' old position.

I think a scheme that allows Clay to attack the edges more aggressively will pay dividends for him and the defense. I noticed that he looked a lot better rushing the passer when they got him out in the 7 tech and wide 9. He's an edge/counter guy like a fastball changeup pitcher. But when Dom has him playing 5 tech he just doesn't have the bulk to take direct routes to the quarterback or to set up his outside rushes from that position.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have rather had that 5 mill added to a cb.

but,
we won the SB with a rotation with a very good dl. MO can help. . do the coaches value the dl 1st? and they think that helps the safety and cb?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Wilkerson turns into a disruptive inside pass rusher it'll make Clay much more effective when they do move him around. Wilk's blend of speed and power is just too much for most guards meaning that he'll draw a lot of center help. This leaves teams trying to block Clay with a back when he does come up the middle.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

but,
we won the SB with a rotation with a very good dl. MO can help. . do the coaches value the dl 1st? and they think that helps the safety and cb?

We had maybe the best trio of cornerbacks in franchise history that year. Williams Woodson and Shields were superb throughout the season. Apparently we are looking at adding some veteran depth at the position and we'll probably add a couple guys in rounds 3-4. I'd look for a Vet corner... or two and then draft a couple in the middle rounds. So maybe Davenport in the First, a receiver in the second and then CB and OL depth/future.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"You have no cornerbacks" was for point of emphasis. You have no #1 corner, you have no slot corner. Better?

McCray may or may not do well at RG especially if he has to play next to Spriggs.

Biegel and Gilbert have shown you nothing.

$5 mil packaged with another piece of cap could get you a player to fill one of these starter holes instead of a rotational player.

That thing called the draft? You could have gotten a rotational DT if that's what you were looking for.

McCray did quite well when playing at RG. I'm not worried about him.

Gilbert actually showed quite well when he played, and Bakh talked him up a lot. I'll trust his opinion over yours, tbh. Biegel was a rookie that was injured. They drafted him for a reason, and he too showed flashes. You should watch more games.

Now I want to explain something to you. It's difficult, but I think you can grasp it. ALL DL ARE ROTATIONAL PIECES! Mike Daniels, is a rotation player. Kenny Clark, is a rotation player. Dean Lowry, is a rotation player. Tough concept, I know. Ok. Got that covered. Only twice in his career had Wilkerson not hit double digit TFL's. Do you know what a DB's best friend is? Pressure on the QB. Wilkerson brings that in spades. The value of having 3-4 DL that can rotate and not have much drop off in play is huge. If you can't see how that's worth more than $5M, then I can't help you pal.

We obviously need more CB's. I am confident we will sign 1-2 FA's, and draft at least one or two. I'll wait to freak out until after the draft. You do you though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

but,

I'm hoping Mo makes the CB's $5 M better.....whoever those CB's may be. :whistling:

H

HardRightEdge

McCray did quite well when playing at RG. I'm not worried about him.

Gilbert actually showed quite well when he played, and Bakh talked him up a lot. I'll trust his opinion over yours, tbh. Biegel was a rookie that was injured. They drafted him for a reason, and he too showed flashes. You should watch more games.

Now I want to explain something to you. It's difficult, but I think you can grasp it. ALL DL ARE ROTATIONAL PIECES! Mike Daniels, is a rotation player. Kenny Clark, is a rotation player. Dean Lowry, is a rotation player. Tough concept, I know. Ok. Got that covered. Only twice in his career had Wilkerson not hit double digit TFL's. Do you know what a DB's best friend is? Pressure on the QB. Wilkerson brings that in spades. The value of having 3-4 DL that can rotate and not have much drop off in play is huge. If you can't see how that's worth more than $5M, then I can't help you pal.

We obviously need more CB's. I am confident we will sign 1-2 FA's, and draft at least one or two. I'll wait to freak out until after the draft. You do you though.
Your name is JanisJubilee. Your assessment of talent is highly suspect.

People talk up other people all of the time for reasons of their own. Then those players don't turn out the way they describe.

As for all DL being rotational players, that is true up to a point. You named 3 incumbent DTs/3-4 DEs. Now we have 4 of them. And maybe 5 depending on Adams foot problem. None of these guys can play outside the tackles. None are edge rushers. You can only use 2 at a time 75-80% of the time. It's having desert without an entre.

I can tell you are agitated and that is unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that we need a cb but honestly guard and wr depth can definitely be found in the draft (and I would argue guard can be later bc of mccary) Also there is no fa olb worth signing so the draft is the best place for that too.

They still have the money for a cb. If they don't get one then I will question the moves but I think they land one soon.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your name is JanisJubilee. Your assessment of talent is highly suspect.

People talk up other people all of the time for reasons of their own. Then those players don't turn out the way they describe.

As for all DL being rotational players, that is true up to a point. You named 3 incumbent DTs/3-4 DEs. Now we have 4 of them. And maybe 5 depending on Adams foot problem. None of these guys can play outside the tackles. None are edge rushers. You can only use 2 at a time 75-80% of the time. It's having desert without an entre.

I can tell you are agitated and that is unfortunate.

Please go look up my posts on Janis. I think he sucks as a WR. I just thought it was a fun name. Your ability to research and learn is highly suspect.

As for the rotation, it's not true to a point, it's always true.

You've lost me on how 20-25% of the time we're only going to play with 1 DL. That's astounding. Are we running the very first 1-5-5?!

Look. You're going to be using at least two of Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, and Adams 80-85% of the time. The remaining 15-20% of the time, we'll use 3 of them. On short yardage or GL sets, we may even use all of them. And they'll all rotate together. It's beautiful football. And Kenny Clark is really just a NT. He can spot play 5T, but he excels at NT.

I would argue in certain situations Wilkerson can play a type of an edge. But I think at this point you're just arguing minute points because you know you're wrong. You'll see this season, if you can figure out how to watch the game.

H

HardRightEdge

Please go look up my posts on Janis. I think he sucks as a WR. I just thought it was a fun name. Your ability to research and learn is highly suspect.
Why would I bother researching such a thing? The humor was not obvious. You should consider rethinking that as well as Wilkerson as a "kind of edge".
You've lost me on how 20-25% of the time we're only going to play with 1 DL. That's astounding. Are we running the very first 1-5-5?!
Now you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts