Packers sign G Jahri Evans

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For example Thompson has drafted Bakhtiari, Daniels, Lang and Sitton in the fourth round during his tenure.

Also note that all are linemen, 3 of them offense. All the more reason to doubt Ted would go for a guard early. When you can draft 4 all pro caliber linemen in the 4th round, there's obviously a system at work there.

Sky King

Reaction score
With the millions saved this season and beyond by signing Evans vs. Lang -- and with those savings this season and next possibly being earmarked for re-signing the next wave of Packer FAs and also ensuring Rodgers' long-term status -- the trade-off has the potential to make it a very nice signing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With the millions saved this season and beyond by signing Evans vs. Lang -- and with those savings this season and next possibly being earmarked for re-signing the next wave of Packer FAs and also ensuring Rodgers' long-term status -- the trade-off has the potential to make it a very nice signing.

I agree with you. What has me a bit concerned though is the Catch 22 you face with paying AR and keeping him happy. Yes, he is and probably will be worth investing more money in to make him the highest paid player in the NFL. However, in the process, you lose an even larger portion of the total cap pie to try and improve the other 52 spots on the roster. All in with Rodgers is really your only choice. Let's just hope Russ Ball can get creative with the cap space and leave enough for the rest of the team.

Sky King

Reaction score
I agree with you. What has me a bit concerned though is the Catch 22 you face with paying AR and keeping him happy. Yes, he is and probably will be worth investing more money in to make him the highest paid player in the NFL. However, in the process, you lose an even larger portion of the total cap pie to try and improve the other 52 spots on the roster. All in with Rodgers is really your only choice. Let's just hope Russ Ball can get creative with the cap space and leave enough for the rest of the team.
So far, he and TT have been masterful at avoiding heavily back-loaded contracts. Hopefully, it never comes down to that as a method of retaining AR and to adequately bolster the roster to be competitive.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have any details come out on Evans' contract terms? I like the pickup, but that assumes it's for pretty light money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Have any details come out on Evans' contract terms? I like the pickup, but that assumes it's for pretty light money.

He played for just a little over $1M for the Saints last year, I can't imagine the Packers are paying him much more, if not a bit less...somewhere close to Vet Min for a 12 year vet.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually really liked this signing all things considered...

He's a usable/solid "band aid" for the guard spot that Lang left

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So far, he and TT have been masterful at avoiding heavily back-loaded contracts. Hopefully, it never comes down to that as a method of retaining AR and to adequately bolster the roster to be competitive.

At some point, once Rodgers is loser to retiring, it might be smart to heavily backload his contract to create more cap space for one or two seasons to be able to invest more money on the rest of the team. I would be fine with the team taking a huge cap in dead money the season after #12 has retired.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="captainWIMM, post: 721290, member: 6794
While I would have been fine to spend a second round pick on a backup tackle there was no reason to give up three picks to acquire one.[/QUOTE]

Of course there was a reason: To draft Jason Spriggs. Without the trading the picks, the Packers aren't in the position to draft Spriggs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like starter money to me. A good short term solution to what otherwise may have been a problem. I still hope that the Packers use that same mindset in addressing the loss of Peppers and Jones at OLB. Biegel was a start, but bringing in a Vet for rotation and depth wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like starter money to me. A good short term solution to what otherwise may have been a problem. I still hope that the Packers use that same mindset in addressing the loss of Peppers and Jones at OLB. Biegel was a start, but bringing in a Vet for rotation and depth wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

That sounds like starter money to you?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like 2nd or 3rd tier , or top backup pay. Like Lane Taylor.

Are you equating pay with ability as well as depth position? If you are, I have no answers for you. Seems like you are just debating to debate? Don Barclay and Jason Spriggs are probably 2 of our highest paid backups, I invite you to look up their salaries and formulate your own opinion in regards to Evans, I've done all I can to answer your supposed question.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you equating pay with ability as well as depth position? If you are, I have no answers for you. Seems like you are just debating to debate? Don Barclay and Jason Spriggs are probably 2 of our highest paid backups, I invite you to look up their salaries and formulate your own opinion in regards to Evans, I've done all I can to answer your supposed question.

Sweet Jesus, it's a simple observation. Top , proven players get more money- see Sitton and Lang.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus, it's a simple observation. Top , proven players get more money- see Sitton and Lang.
and.....your point? What did TT decide to do with Sitton and Lang?

It feels like you are trying to make the argument that since Evans isn't being paid an equal amount to the top G starters in the league, he can't be a starter for the Packers. I guess we will see when the season opens, who that starter is, but at this point, if Evans is on the roster for the entire season, he would be the 4th highest paid OL (currently on the roster). Make your own conclusions, but I would say that he is being viewed as a starter. BTW, Evans was the Saints 16 game starter at G last year, for just over $1M.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about??? Again , simple observation- $2.5M isn't top money .
Then again, this is the stuff I'm done with. You can't post "the " without someone having a problem with it or twisting it into something that had nothing to do with what you said. I just looked out the window at a beautiful day here and said, "WTF am I doing with this?"
So, sincerest best wishes, health and happiness to all the folks here, and best to our Packers in 2017 and beyond.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
WTF are you talking about??? Again , simple observation- $2.5M isn't top money .
Then again, this is the stuff I'm done with. You can't post "the " without someone having a problem with it or twisting it into something that had nothing to do with what you said. I just looked out the window at a beautiful day here and said, "WTF am I doing with this?"
So, sincerest best wishes, health and happiness to all the folks here, and best to our Packers in 2017 and beyond.

Good luck to you DNA, I wasn't trying to make you go postal. I never said $2.5M was top money, you did. I said what the Packers are paying Evans looked like starter money to me. you questioned that, I answered. Basing my answer on what the Packers are currently paying their OL starters and backups. Just because it isn't what Top Guards in the NFL are making, doesn't mean Evans can't be a starter.

BTW, you started all of this by responding to a simple post by me, so please don't try to play the victim.

That sounds like starter money to you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

To answer my own question: One year deal. $200k guaranteed, worth up to $2,250,000 if Evans is on the roster all year.

I'm good with this.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0651093199741262248-4

Actually Evans can make up to and will count $2.5 million against the salary cap with likely to be earned incentives. Considering the Saints paid him only a $1 million in 2016 I think it's a little too much but nothing to be too worried about.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually Evans can make up to and will count $2.5 million against the salary cap with likely to be earned incentives. Considering the Saints paid him only a $1 million in 2016 I think it's a little too much but nothing to be too worried about.
A big factor in the Saints paying him only $1 mil is that Seattle cut him a week before the start of the season. If he wanted to get paid on week 1, that may have been the only option. Or maybe he just loves football and couldn't stand the idea of missing a game or four until somebody needed an injury replacement. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

A big factor in the Saints paying him only $1 mil is that Seattle cut him a week before the start of the season.

True, that probably played a significant role in him agreeing to play for less money than this time around. He agreed to a one-year, $1.065 million deal with the Seahawks in early August though as well.

H

HardRightEdge

So, what is starter money for a RG in the NFL?

We can start here:

http://overthecap.com/position/right-guard/

On an average per year basis, 14 RGs are ahead of the $2.5 mil mark. Of course this would not include first contact guys not taken in the first round who are capped by the rookie salary scale and who are currently starting.

And that's just based on average contract pay. This deal is only one year with scant guarantees so you'd have to discount it relative to other contracts of longer terms with more guarantees that might average less than $2.5 mil.

All in all, I'd call it "borderline starter money" for a vet RG.

H

HardRightEdge

True, that probably played a significant role in him agreeing to play for less money than this time around. He agreed to a one-year, $1.065 million deal with the Seahawks in early August though as well.
August is pretty late in the process as well. The question does remain, why no better offers than Seattle's all of the way up to August?

Maybe Evans, having earned a ton of money over his career, was just selective about where he would want to play? Only ring contenders need apply? Though Thompson would qualify this go round, maybe he had to pay a cold weather premium. ;)

Members online

Latest posts