Packers sign G Jahri Evans

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Barclay signed a one year deal for darn near the vet minimum. I think some have overestimated how much he's involved in their plans for 2017. He has a shot to fight for a roster spot as a versatile backup. There's a chance that, at 28, he improves back to old form as he distances himself from the injury. But I think he's also every chance he doesn't make the roster.

I never understood why people thought the career backup on a 1 year 1M$ deal was TT's plan A at RG.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Monty, Michael and Jackson like hearing that. :eek:

The Packers need to find a RB that can excel at making or finding thier own holes. I don't think we have a very strong OL to run behind and I still have my doubts that Monty is that guy who can run effectively and consistently behind it. I guess that will be what the draft is for.
I think Monty will be very effective. But the durability thing had me concerned. Ankles

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay signed a one year deal for darn near the vet minimum. I think some have overestimated how much he's involved in their plans for 2017. He has a shot to fight for a roster spot as a versatile backup. There's a chance that, at 28, he improves back to old form as he distances himself from the injury. But I think he's also every chance he doesn't make the roster.

I never understood why people thought the career backup on a 1 year 1M$ deal was TT's plan A at RG.
I just thought that out of the 5 oline positions, rg is the easiest. Imo it goes lt,rt, c, lg,rg in importance. Barclay was not a good tackle. Imo, he was barely average before the knee. Last two years he has been , not, good. But at rg, he might be solid? Tackles who aren't good tackles, who move to guard is how we got lang, and sitton.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just thought that out of the 5 oline positions, rg is the easiest. Imo it goes lt,rt, c, lg,rg in importance. Barclay was not a good tackle. Imo, he was barely average before the knee. Last two years he has been , not, good. But at rg, he might be solid? Tackles who aren't good tackles, who move to guard is how we got lang, and sitton.

I am sure that if they saw him as anything like Sitton or Lang, or even Taylor, he would have gotten more than what he did. Money talks.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure that if they saw him as anything like Sitton or Lang, or even Taylor, he would have gotten more than what he did. Money talks.
He hasn't proved he can make the move yet.

All this is second string debate now. Evans is a plug in guy at rg imo.

I wonder what he is getting paid?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Well I've been assured that TT is a cheapskate, so he is probably playing for free.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor never spent time on the Packers practice squad as he made the active roster during all of his first three seasons with the team.

This is correct. And since I looked it up he had 30 games under his belt before taking over in 2016. In any case I don't think we have a guy like Taylor on our roster today in Patrick or Murphy. Maybe we'll get a nice surprise.

H

HardRightEdge

I expected the Packers to give Spriggs a chance to unseat Bakhtiari as the team's starting left tackle after Thompson decided to give up three picks to acquire him but that was obviously not the plan.
I think if Spriggs had showed in camp and preseason what Bakhtiari showed them when he was a rookie, there's a good chance they would not have paid Bakhtiari the kind of money they did when they did it. I believe they were looking for a way to not spend that kind of money if they had a viable option.

Plan B is they have an OT backup. After watching a sting of backups looking pretty dismal over the years when injury strikes, it's not the worst thing. That assumes Spriggs is at least an adequate OT which is yet to be determined.

H

HardRightEdge

He'll be 35 34 on opening day. Can't be that much. It could be a 2 year deal though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He'll be 35 on opening day. Can't be that much. It could be a 2 year deal though.
I read Lang type money...K.D. Lang when she first started singing. :whistling:

Evans played the 2016 season on a one year, $1.065 million contract after the Saints cut him the previous offseason. So I can't imagine it cost the Packers much more than Vet Minimum.

H

HardRightEdge

I read Lang type money...K.D. Lang when she first started singing. :whistling:

Evans played the 2016 season on a one year, $1.065 million contract after the Saints cut him the previous offseason. So I can't imagine it cost the Packers much more than Vet Minimum.
I see where Seattle signed him before last season, released him Sept.2, and then he bounced right back to the Saints.

And how was Seattle's O-Line last season? Not very good.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okayyy.....so what, an also ran journeyman once cut and resigned guard that is 35. Jeff Saturday? Lets not get too crazy with enthusiasm. More ignoring a D backfield that is HORRENDOUS. When Rodgers has to put up 38 a game to win every game and Gunter/Rollins/Randall is getting burned for 150 plus by all comers maybe someone will heed reality here.

I am virtually flabbergasted at the ineptitude of not noticing or not paying attention to the TEAM's most glaring weakness. Corner. Why is this rocket science to you Teddy? Bury your pride and address it. Every CB scout should be looking for other jobs that assembled this.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okayyy.....so what, an also ran journeyman once cut and resigned guard that is 35. Jeff Saturday? Lets not get too crazy with enthusiasm. More ignoring a D backfield that is HORRENDOUS.
I agree that the defense is a huge concern. But I think this is a good signing. Bringing in a veteran presence to replace Lang, while bringing the youngsters along, and he's supposed to be a good pass blocker to protect Rodgers. At least Ted isn't throwing another UDFA out there to protect him. I think the offense is going to be good. But I agree that isn't going to be enough if the defense continues to be a sieve.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, but a 2nd, a 4th, and a 7th seem like a high price to pay even for a backup at a vital position.
Or maybe we have all been brainwashed by Ted's apparent love of draft picks... what I see is a second and a couple of late round picks that often amount to players that are cut in training camp.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is about as safe a signing as can be. Evans is a proven veteran and Ted got him at bargain basement value. He's insurance and a 1-year guy who can fill the gap in the hopes of developing a rookie G for the starting role.

Getting guys like this is one thing Ted does well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a couple extra 4th round comp picks if I remember right. And a roster that was stacked! Ted must have had spriggs rated high. Because when the opportunity came he took it...

Also, I think spriggs was seen as a project. So to judge him on his rookie year isn't a good gauge of who Ted Thompson drafted.
I enjoyed being able to agree with one of your posts lol.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

While I like the move, I would rather have Tretter.

There was absolutely no reason for the Packers to spend $6 million a season on a backup offensive lineman.

Also, I think spriggs was seen as a project. So to judge him on his rookie year isn't a good gauge of who Ted Thompson drafted.

I'm not judging Spriggs based on his rookie season but in my opinion he's slated to remain a backup for quite some time and therefore I don't like the Packers having given up three pucks to select him. If you consider Thompson having traded up for Hundley a year earlier the general manager has spent five draft picks over the past two years to move up for players that aren't slated to play any meaningful snaps any time soon.

I could see GB drafting a big tackle, in hopes he sticks at rt. With guard in the back of their mind.

There's absolutely no reason to draft another backup tackle.

I'm always weary about Bulaga's knees. Spriggs could go from backup to starting right tackle very quickly.

While I would have been fine to spend a second round pick on a backup tackle there was no reason to give up three picks to acquire one.

He'll be 35 on opening day. Can't be that much. It could be a 2 year deal though.

FWIW Evans will be 34 on opening day.

More ignoring a D backfield that is HORRENDOUS. When Rodgers has to put up 38 a game to win every game and Gunter/Rollins/Randall is getting burned for 150 plus by all comers maybe someone will heed reality here.

I am virtually flabbergasted at the ineptitude of not noticing or not paying attention to the TEAM's most glaring weakness. Corner. Why is this rocket science to you Teddy? Bury your pride and address it. Every CB scout should be looking for other jobs that assembled this.

I agree that Thompson didn't make any moves to significantly improve the team's terrible pass defense and should be criticized for it there's no doubt bringing in Evans was a good signing.

Or maybe we have all been brainwashed by Ted's apparent love of draft picks... what I see is a second and a couple of late round picks that often amount to players that are cut in training camp.

While it's likely that late round picks get cut after training camp those selections are still important for a team heavily relying on a draft and develop philosophy. For example Thompson has drafted Bakhtiari, Daniels, Lang and Sitton in the fourth round during his tenure.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Ian Rapoport the team has signed the veteran guard.

The soon-to-be 34-year old has had an excellent career and while he has regressed blocking for the run he still excels in pass protection.

In m opinion a good signing as long as he received a reasonable deal.

I agree. Getting a dependable, six-time pro bowler starting guard means Ted does not have to look for a day-one starter at that position in the draft. Evans is 33 I believe so he's not a long-term solution, but he can certainly help Green Bay this year and give some young player time to develop. Ted can perhaps use a day three pick on an interior lineman and let him sit for a year.

PFF's take on Evans:

• The Green Bay Packers signed veteran free agent guard Jahri Evans before the 2017 NFL Draft.
  • Evans returned to the New Orleans Saints last season and started all 16 games at right guard, earning a 76.8 overall grade.
  • He was much more proficient in pass protection than as a run blocker in 2016, only allowed two sacks, three hits and 21 hurries in 2016. His pass-blocking grade (84.4) ranked 20th among guards last year.
  • The Packers’ options on the roster to replace T.J. Lang at right guard were all less than encouraging, with either Don Barclay or Jason Spriggs expected to step in the role.
  • In very limited action in 2016, Barclay and Spriggs earned 46.5 and 45.7 overall grades respectively, and Green Bay opted for the 33-year-old Evans as a veteran solution to help keep Aaron Rodgers upright in 2017.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-packers-sign-g-jahri-evans-as-veteran-replacement-for-t-j-lang/

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If he can do anything close to what he did the last 2 yrs this will be a great signing
PFF's PBE formula raises some interesting questions.

1. For example, the difference between Evans' 97.46% vs. Yanda's 98.35% seems scant, less than 1 percentage point, yet Evans surrendered nearly double the number of pressures. Seems off, right?

However the 20 pressure difference amounts to a bit over 1 play per game which, sacks aside, would been of no consequence in many cases. QBs on average complete around half their passes when hurried, give or take, so half the hurries are of little consequence, though one would expect INTs to be slightly elevated.

Though we're only talking pass blocking here, this begs the question, does Evans surrendering twice as many pressures justify the difference between what will be his relatively modest salary vs. Yanda's 4 year / $32 million contract?

This might explain why Thompson's approach in (1) not drafting OGs in upper rounds, (2) drafting college OTs in middle rounds who don't project well to NFL OT but with sufficient athleticism to pass block at OG, (3) not paying Sitton and Lang and (4) signing a guy like Evans. Or to take another example, how much difference did you see between the 2014 version of Sitton and Taylor last season in terms of special blocks or blown blocks making a play or wrecking a play? Fess up now. Very little. Sitton was a better second level run blocker and that's about it.

2. So, the above assumes PFF's PBE accurately reflects relative performance. I do have some issues with it relating to maintaining the health of your QB and the affect on maintaining possession.

Is 1.00 sack really worth only 0.75 hits? In both cases the QB is at risk, though more at risk with a sack. Some sacks involve getting wrapped up and driven to the ground. That's true of some hits, but not often because of the risk of a flag. Hits are typically "knock downs". Further, a hit does not result in minus yards as with sacks which compromises possession. You only get 10 or 12 possessions per game, some of no consequence at the end of the half or the game. It's why turnovers are so highly valued. I consider a sack to be worth about 1/2 of a turnover with the change of possession potential as a consequence of lost yards. It's why edge rusher contracts roughly equate to $1 million per sack. How many hits have zero consequence with the pass completed anyway? Half? A bit less?

As for turnover affects, sacks can results in fumbles. Hits can result in INTs. Let's call it a wash.

Next, is a hit really equal to a hurry as in this formula? How could it be. A hit by definition is a hurry with plus factors: (1) there's the QB injury potential and (2) a hit implies more "hurry" than a mere hurry as the defender is in closer proximity to the QB at the time of the throw.

Call me cynical, but there may be an element of "political correctness" in equating hits with hurries. Perhaps PFF does not want to acknowledge the contribution toward winning in knocking a QB wobbly or out of the game. Anybody who watched Cam Newton getting the holy h*ll beat out of him from "hits" in those early games last season and what ensued with Newton and Carolina, cannot deny the affect. While I consider Newton a showboat an "brand builder" on the field who lost his team, I believe he had a legit beef with the officiating in going to the commissioner. But that's neither here nor there for this discussion. He got hit; it affected his play in a way hurries would not.

Here's how I'd alter the relative values of the plays, roughly speaking, because it would take a deep dive into the stats to be more precise:

Sack 1.0
Hit 0.60
Hurry 0.35

3. There are numerous other factors that come into play that may not or cannot be reflected in these stats.

- What are the guys like on either side who compromise a players ability to limit pressures? Offensive line play is largely an ensemble performance.
- Is it a quick throw or downfield passing game?
- How long does the QB hold the ball?
- Does PFF give the blocker a pass at a certain point? 2.5 seconds? 3.0 seconds? Lang didn't seem to think so. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Among the good points with this signing is that it buys time for Thompson. Any urgency to draft a guard early- if at all- is far less now.
I've seen many scouts quoted as saying this is the worst O line class they've seen in at least 10 years. Thompson can now focus elsewhere and maybe have much better options in next year's draft.