Packers sign G Jahri Evans

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport the team has signed the veteran guard.

The soon-to-be 34-year old has had an excellent career and while he has regressed blocking for the run he still excels in pass protection.

In m opinion a good signing as long as he received a reasonable deal.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised. Let's hope he has enough left in the tank; once one of the league's best.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Unless he's dropped off tremendously, he's a decent stop gap. They can now bring a rookie along for a year before inserting him into the lineup. This move does indicate that they aren't blowing smoke when they say Spriggs is a tackle only... which makes trading up to draft him pretty strange.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This move does indicate that they aren't blowing smoke when they say Spriggs is a tackle only... which makes trading up to draft him pretty strange.

I didn't like Thompson giving up three picks to trade up to select Spriggs who will continue to most likely serve as a backup for the foreseeable future.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn't like Thompson giving up three picks to trade up to select Spriggs who will continue to most likely serve as a backup for the foreseeable future.

Nothing about it makes sense. They gave Bakhtiari an extension before the season, so clearly they were never planning to move on from him. I guess maybe Bulaga's injury history made them think they'd need his replacement sooner rather than later? Their blocking scheme places a lot of the shoulders of the tackles, so I understand wanting to have a really good backup/succession plan but like you said it seems like way too much to pay.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the 2015 season when we needed a true backup tackle? That wasn't fun. Having a quality backup tackle is a very important thing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Nothing about it makes sense. They gave Bakhtiari an extension before the season, so clearly they were never planning to move on from him.

I expected the Packers to give Spriggs a chance to unseat Bakhtiari as the team's starting left tackle after Thompson decided to give up three picks to acquire him but that was obviously not the plan.

Remember the 2015 season when we needed a true backup tackle? That wasn't fun. Having a quality backup tackle is a very important thing.

I agree it's essential to have a quality backup tackle but there's mo reason to give up three picks to acquire him, especially with a team heavily relying on a draft and develop philosophy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I agree with you, but a 2nd, a 4th, and a 7th seem like a high price to pay even for a backup at a vital position.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, but a 2nd, a 4th, and a 7th seem like a high price to pay even for a backup at a vital position.
How many seasons does Bulaga have you think? TT must think he's the next guy, we'll find out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

How many seasons does Bulaga have you think? TT must think he's the next guy, we'll find out.

Bulaga is only 28 years old therefore I believe he has still some good seasons left in him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like the signing. No way they draft a OL early now I would think.

You put him between Linsley and Bulaga and he will be okay.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The Packers have said goodbye to a pair of guards in the last year with the release of Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang joining the Lions as a free agent, but they are reportedly bolstering their options at the position with the addition of another veteran. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Packers…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I like the signing. No way they draft a OL early now I would think.

You put him between Linsley and Bulaga and he will be okay.

I agree the Packers signing Evans addresses one of the team's needs and pushes guard way down the list of positions Thompson will possibly select early in the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Based solely on age, Bulaga should be able to play out his contract through 2020. But before last year, he had never started all 16 games in a season. That fragility is my best guess as to why TT felt inclined to pay up for Spriggs as a backup option and future starter. Wouldn't you know it-- the very season after TT makes this big investment in a swing tackle, both his starters are on the field for over 97% of the snaps.

In his defense (I still think it was too rich for a guy who probably won't start for a while), tackle is clearly one of the most highly coveted positions in the game. And the protections that the Packers use make it even mor important than normal.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In regards to Spriggs, that's how the Draft goes sometimes. You truly don't know til they play at the Professional level. I'm very pleased with the signing however, I said TT should have signed Evans about 3 years ago when the Saints were trying to toy with him and cut bait. I'm also betting that this significantly changes the Draft. May not get an OL til the 4th Round or later. So I expect defense the first 3 rounds possibly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree the Packers signing Evans addresses one of the team's needs and pushes guard way down the list of positions Thompson will possibly select early in the draft.

He's been fairly strict about the type of player he will draft for the line, and this class is pretty bad to start with. The guys that fit his criteria and wouldn't be strictly tackles at the next level are Bolles, Lamp, Feeney, Roullier, Levin, Eldrenkamp, and then a few others are close.

Bolles and Lamp could well be gone by #29. Feeney is probably gone by #61. After that, it's a stretch to ask any of these guys to start as rookies.

I agree with you that this doesn't preclude drafting a guard somewhat early if the right guy is there, but it doesn't paint them into a corner.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With this signing, I would bet we see Chase Roullier or Corey Levin drafted by the Packers somewhere from the 4th round on.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you that this doesn't preclude drafting a guard somewhat early if the right guy is there, but it doesn't paint them into a corner.

I was quite sure the Packers wouldn't have drafted a guard early even before signing Evans. This move all but precludes that happening.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This was one thing I read about Evans that I really like:

"Evans has spent the first 11 years of his career with the Saints, starting 169 of 176 games in that span."

Durable vet experience at position that needed it. Perfect timing with the draft, takes one more high needs off the "to draft" list.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If TT signs Jason McCourty and Blount between now and tomorrow night, I will be a happy camper! :D

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the signing. We needed it. Jahri was ranked 36th at his position by pff after starting 16 games last year, so tempered enthusiasm. It does seem to indicate pretty strongly that we don't have much at OG on the roster. I'm sure they'll be watching roster cuts throughout the summer.

As to Spriggs, the Packers have set many examples for a good backup T over the years. But he does represent a significant investment who is not on the field. Makes me wonder what the plan might be for him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts