Packers sign G Jahri Evans

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised. Let's hope he has enough left in the tank; once one of the league's best.

i agree hopefully he still has enough gas to perform for us this year. quality is not an issue as we all know he was pretty damn good with the saints.

i'm sure he knows that this team's potential to get him one more SB ring before he retires. would be nice!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Like the signing. We needed it. Jahri was ranked 36th at his position by pff after starting 16 games last year, so tempered enthusiasm. It does seem to indicate pretty strongly that we don't have much at OG on the roster. I'm sure they'll be watching roster cuts throughout the summer.

Evans excelled in pass protection though ranking 19th in the league though and we all know protecting Rodgers is the most important assignment for an offensive lineman with the Packers. He struggled blocking for the run so he should fit in just perfectly with his new teammates.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Packers signing Evans addresses one of the team's needs and pushes guard way down the list of positions Thompson will possibly select early in the draft.

I like the signing but I never viewed RG as a big need to begin with as we've spent a year developing a few big bodies to fill the role.

Good move. Solid depth move at worst

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Evans excelled in pass protection though ranking 19th in the league though and we all know protecting Rodgers is the most important assignment for an offensive lineman with the Packers. He struggled blocking for the run so he should fit in just perfectly with his new teammates.

Agreed, but it implies we will miss Lang's tenacity and 2nd-level performance. Given our RB situation, trading a strong run blocker for a pass blocker on the interior doesn't suggest improvement in that area. I know that we are a pass-first-and-probably-second team, but seasons when the Packers simply can't run the ball don't tend to go well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He struggled blocking for the run so he should fit in just perfectly with his new teammates.

I'm sure Monty, Michael and Jackson like hearing that. :eek:

The Packers need to find a RB that can excel at making or finding thier own holes. I don't think we have a very strong OL to run behind and I still have my doubts that Monty is that guy who can run effectively and consistently behind it. I guess that will be what the draft is for.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our pass will make up for the lack of run potential this year. despite cook gone this O should be a force to be reckoned with. ok but this year is different I promise!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I like the signing but I never viewed RG as a big need to begin with as we've spent a year developing a few big bodies to fill the role.

I can't think of any player the Packers have groomed to be Lang's successor over the last year.

Agreed, but it implies we will miss Lang's tenacity and 2nd-level performance. Given our RB situation, trading a strong run blocker for a pass blocker on the interior doesn't suggest improvement in that area. I know that we are a pass-first-and-probably-second team, but seasons when the Packers simply can't run the ball don't tend to go well.

It was unrealistic to expect to find an adequate replacement for Lang but Evans will most likely be a better player next season than every rookie selected on day three of the draft. As I've mentioned I didn't expect Thompson to pick a guard within the first three rounds even before this move.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

despite cook gone this O should be a force to be reckoned with. ok but this year is different I promise!

The offense has been great for most of Rodgers tenure as the team's starting quarterback.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Monty, Michael and Jackson like hearing that. :eek:

The Packers need to find a RB that can excel at making or finding thier own holes. I don't think we have a very strong OL to run behind and I still have my doubts that Monty is that guy who can run effectively and consistently behind it. I guess that will be what the draft is for.

damn why did lynch have to settle for raiders?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't think of any player the Packers have groomed to be Lang's successor over the last year.

Murphy, Patrick or Spriggs ring a bell? (even though Spriggs wouldve been more of an emergency situation as they obviously don't want to move him from Tackle). All young big bodies on the line they've spent a year developing

Point being I never felt it was a dire need to begin with because the team has/had been preparing for it for an entire year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Murphy, Patrick or Spriggs ring a bell? (even though Spriggs wouldve been more of an emergency situation as they obviously don't want to move him from Tackle)

Well, Murphy and Patrick played a total of eight snaps last season, hardly what I would call grooming any of them to be Lang's successor.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was unrealistic to expect to find an adequate replacement for Lang but Evans will most likely be a better player next season than every rookie selected on day three of the draft. As I've mentioned I didn't expect Thompson to pick a guard within the first three rounds even before this move.

Of course. We Packer fans have done this drill have we not? I am very thankful we didn't sign Adrian Klemm. :)

I'd say the front office has done a much better job this time around.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Murphy and Patrick played a total of eight snaps last season, hardly what I would call grooming any of them to be Lang's successor.

Well they don't rotate on the offensive line so snaps are generally only up for grabs when guys ahead of them get injured. Doesn't mean they aren't being groomed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well they don't rotate on the offensive line so snaps are generally only up for grabs when guys ahead of them get injured. Doesn't mean they aren't being groomed.

As far as I know Murphy spent nearly all of last season at tackle and Patrick wasn't even on the active roster. Once again, I don't consider that grooming any of them to be Lang's successor.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers retained Lane Tayler for 3 years, and I think even gave him a PS raise once to keep him (not sure on that).

I don't see that kind of guy on our roster in Patrick or Murphy. Not to say they won't be in competition, for they surely will be.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers retained Lane Tayler for 3 years, and I think even gave him a PS raise once to keep him (not sure on that).

Taylor never spent time on the Packers practice squad as he made the active roster during all of his first three seasons with the team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though Evans has declined, he's still better than the scrap heap they have to replace Lang. Signing Evans means TT can draft a guard in the fourth round and hopefully groom that player to step into the line in 2018. While I like the move, I would rather have Tretter.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the signing..let's all hope he isn't another Jeff Saturday type of FA with no value than just a play out a few more years to make some money and retire totally useless....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expected the Packers to give Spriggs a chance to unseat Bakhtiari as the team's starting left tackle after Thompson decided to give up three picks to acquire him but that was obviously not the plan.

I agree it's essential to have a quality backup tackle but there's mo reason to give up three picks to acquire him, especially with a team heavily relying on a draft and develop philosophy.
We had a couple extra 4th round comp picks if I remember right. And a roster that was stacked! Ted must have had spriggs rated high. Because when the opportunity came he took it...

Also, I think spriggs was seen as a project. So to judge him on his rookie year isn't a good gauge of who Ted Thompson drafted.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Murphy and Patrick are the type of players you don't count on to become starters, you're just prepared to let them surprise you as Taylor did. But their lack of playing time tells us very little.

I think they'll add a rookie interior guy and see how things sort out in camp. If none of the youngsters emerge, they have Evans there.

Members online

Latest posts