Packers sign former Penn State punter Kapinos

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers sign former Penn State punter Kapinos

By CHRIS JENKINS
AP Sports Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers have found their new punter.

Former Penn State player Jeremy Kapinos signed with the Packers late Wednesday after a round of tryouts. A 6-foot-1, 230-pound first-year player, Kapinos spent time with the New York Jets in 2007.

He'll replace Derrick Frost, who was released on Monday after the Packers had seen enough of his inconsistent performance in games.

But with the weather turning foul in Green Bay and a game against Houston coming up at Lambeau Field on Sunday, can the Packers really count on a new punter being able to play?

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said they don't have a choice.

"I want him to punt the ball in the right direction," McCarthy said. "I'm expected to win games. He's expected to punt the ball in the right direction."

Then, McCarthy added, "I'm not trying to be funny."

The Packers' punting game hasn't provided too many laughs through the first 12 games.

Frost, who was signed when the team cut Jon Ryan just before the season opener in September, performed well in practices but couldn't carry it over to games.

Frost has had only eight punts downed inside the 20-yard line all season, tying him for 29th in the league. He averaged 42.1 yards per punt and 36.1 net yards, putting him outside the league's top 20 in both categories.

Kapinos will try to improve on Frost's punting performance. But he won't be asked to take over Frost's duties as the holder for place-kicker Mason Crosby, a duty that will fall to backup quarterback Matt Flynn.

"I'm not concerned about that," McCarthy said. "Matt Flynn is our holder. Brian Brohm and Ruvell Martin will work behind Matt. We're very comfortable with Matt there, and I know Mason is also."

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? I am surprised about this. I grew up watching alot of Penn State, and remember his four years there. He has some potential. I like the signing. He is a dynamic punter who had a solid college career. Some guys will have bigger leg strength, I think his is ok (correct me if I am wrong) but I remember he had excellent placement.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems pretty large for a kicker.

maybe he can lay some people out like Mason Crosby did on the kick off last week. haha./

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DonnieCash said:

maybe he can lay some people out like Mason Crosby did on the kick off last week. haha./
Still sad though that he needed to :(

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DonnieCash said:

He always was pretty big maybe its the beer :D

Good punter though, hope he pans out well. North is still somehow up for grabs.

Members online

Latest posts