Packers should trade first round pick for Muhammad Wilkerson

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The jets are reportedly looking to trade Wilkerson for a first round pick in 2016. I think it's a no brainer to trade pick #27 for him as it is highly unlikely we will land a player as good as him with that pick. He is only 26 years old and had 12 sacks in 2015. At 6-4 315 he would be a perfect fit to be a base 3-4 defensive end and to slide inside alongside Mike Daniels in the nickel package. Daniels and Wilkerson rushing from the inside with peppers and Matthews coming off the edge would be an absolute nightmare for every offense in the league and could easily be the catalyst for a 5th super bowl title.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your idea, but the devil's always in the details. The Jets likely can do better than #27, and if not- if they couldn't get a higher pick, they'd want more than just #27.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could make us better for a year, but then worse after that as his salary would likely mean saying bye to multiple good players next off season.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Muhammad Wilkerson signed a 1 year, $15,701,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $15,701,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,701,000. In 2016, Wilkerson will earn a base salary of $15,701,000. Wilkerson has a cap hit of $15,701,000.
Next year UFA........

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Muhammad Wilkerson signed a 1 year, $15,701,000 contract with the New York Jets, including $15,701,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,701,000. In 2016, Wilkerson will earn a base salary of $15,701,000. Wilkerson has a cap hit of $15,701,000.
Next year UFA........

Wow. We'd be cutting guys this season just to sign our draft class.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not an option without an ironclad long term contract agreed to. Maybe convince the Jets to do it so they eat part of the signing bonus.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His contract would need to be reworked. I would not, under any circumstance, trade a 1st round pick for a player with a one year contract in tow.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not an option without an ironclad long term contract agreed to. Maybe convince the Jets to do it so they eat part of the signing bonus.

Wouldn't a trade be made under the assumption that the Jets rescind the franchise tag and the Packers (as an example) sign Wilkerson to a long-term deal? Wouldn't make sense to trade for a guy in his prime, but on a one year deal.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my two cents (without going into the hundred scenarios involving the Packers resigning current players or drafting replacement players):
  • Here is a list of defensive linemen drafted by the Packers in the first four rounds of the NFL draft from 2009 through 2015: Khyri Thornton, Datone Jones, Jerel Worthy, Mike Daniels, Mike Neal and BJ Raji (I left Nick Perry off of the list). Muhammad Wilkerson is better than all of those guys. He's 26, in his prime, and an established NFL player. In my opinion, he's worth the 27th pick in the first round.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson also is recovering from a broken fibula suffered late last year. He's expected to
Make a full recovery, but nothing is certain. I'd prefer drafting Jarran Reed, Vernon
Butler or Andrew Billings in the first round.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way would the Jets trade Wilson for a 27th round pick. They are looking for a top 7 pick where they can land one of the top two QB prospects. Getting Wilkerson for a 27th pick would be a steal if the contract could be reworked. Otherwise his cap hit is way too big.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson also is recovering from a broken fibula suffered late last year. He's expected to
Make a full recovery, but nothing is certain. I'd prefer drafting Jarran Reed, Vernon
Billings is one of the top players in this draft IMO. If he falls to 27, he would be a no brainer.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Judging by the writes and mocks lately, there's a good chance none are available when we pick.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Judging by the writes and mocks lately, there's a good chance none are available when we pick.

Last year most mocks had DL Malcolm Brown going in the top 15 picks and he ended up
being selected at pick31. The year before it wasn't expected for HaHa to be available
to us. The year before most mocks had Eddie Lacy being drafted within the first
40 picks but slid to us in the second round.

Fingers crossed one of the top DL falls to us or Reggie Ragland.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would make slightly more than peppers cap number this season, meaning after peppers comes off the cap next season wilkersons salary would essentially just replace peppers. And I'm sure the cap will go up again next season as well. The 15 m is the franchise tag number we would obviously work out a long term deal with a lower cap number

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers don´t have the necessary cap space to trade for Wilkerson, even if they are able to negotiate a long-term contract with him.

I guess Vernon Butler will still be on the board at the Packers first-round picks. Billings and Reed are most likely gone though.

How do they have cap space for that still? Spotrac had them at negative cap space before that deal :confused:

Both Spotrac and Over The Cap had the Patriots with over $9 million of cap space before signing Knighton.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson would be worth the 27th pick. I dont think I would give up much more than that. Of course a reworked cap friendly 4 year deal would have to be in place.

Anyone know why the Bills would be getting rid of him? He can be a force.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson would be worth the 27th pick. I dont think I would give up much more than that. Of course a reworked cap friendly 4 year deal would have to be in place.

The Jets. Because they're loaded on the dline, making Wilkerson by far the best expendable player in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Jets are in need of cap space as they currently only have $2.2 million remaining as well as a starting quarterback. That´s why I guess they would ask for an early first rounder in return to either be able to select Goff or Wentz.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets are in need of cap space as they currently only have $2.2 million remaining as well as a starting quarterback. That´s why I guess they would ask for an early first rounder in return to either be able to select Goff or Wentz.
They wont get a high #1. The other factor in the equation is money. An impact rookie on rookie contract is better than a very expensive vet even if said vet is a bit better. And every GM near the top is sure they have their sights set on a player in the draft who will make an impact.