Packers should trade first round pick for Muhammad Wilkerson

D

Deleted member 6794

They wont get a high #1. The other factor in the equation is money. An impact rookie on rookie contract is better than a very expensive vet even if said vet is a bit better. And every GM near the top is sure they have their sights set on a player in the draft who will make an impact.

Wilkerson has already proved to be capable of playing at an elite level in the NFL. Even with a high draft pick there aren´t any guarantees of selecting an impact player. While it´s unlikely the Jets will get a top 10 pick in return for Wilkerson I wouldn´t completely rule it out either, especially from a team with a ton of cap space.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson has already proved to be capable of playing at an elite level in the NFL. Even with a high draft pick there aren´t any guarantees of selecting an impact player. While it´s unlikely the Jets will get a top 10 pick in return for Wilkerson I wouldn´t completely rule it out either, especially from a team with a ton of cap space.
Top 10 I give 0%. Not even if Jets give back there #2. Top 20? Doubtful. Outside that in the first, I think there is a chance getting close to pick 30.

I think he is worth our pick for sure. But trades like this I think the team never gets what the player is worth.

D

Deleted member 6794

Top 10 I give 0%. Not even if Jets give back there #2. Top 20? Doubtful. Outside that in the first, I think there is a chance getting close to pick 30.

I think he is worth our pick for sure. But trades like this I think the team never gets what the player is worth.

While such trades occur rarely it has happened in the past with the Vikings trading Randy Moss to the Raiders in 2005 being the latest example.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be a salary nightmare, and most likely would demand more than just our #27.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, careful Amish, or **** Rexy will be seared in your brain.
The horror...the horror....
why do I suddenly have an insatiable urge to go shoe shopping and picking up some thigh highs while i'm out?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why do I suddenly have an insatiable urge to go shoe shopping and picking up some thigh highs while i'm out?

Is there anyone there with you who could lock you in a closet? You're dancin' on the edge of Rexaphobia, man!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't worry, my son and I went to Costco instead and got some milk, eggs, and chicken . Not as **** I know, but I feel more human again

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that is ****. i just bought the breast, but obviously I need to get the whole bird, dressed of course.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my vote for "wierdest thread drift" ever. From trade idea to poultry **** in under 40 posts.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I hijacked, I'll return back to topic.
From http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/03/nfl_rumors_what_is_muhammad_wilkerson_worth_in_a_t.html comes
Wilkerson could be in line for a contract worth $40 million or more in guaranteed money. The Jets have plenty of roster holes to fill—edge rusher, offensive line, inside linebacker, cornerback, running back, quarterback—and only so much money to go around because of the salary cap.
Would any of Peppers, Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Shields, Datone, or Hyde have value and more importantly create cap space? Only Shields is signed past next season or two and in his case you'd have to be absolutely correct on the Randall / Rollins / Gunther triumverate. One year rental for a one year rental perhaps?
From http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-jets-de comes:
The Jets are likely to have a high price tag for Wilkerson, however, and Costello noted "there is skepticism around the league" that the Jets could get the collection of draft picks, including a first-rounder this year, that they are surely seeking. Costello speculated the team could look for picks and a player,
and
per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News:
"Wilkerson and his agent are in full-fledged get-me-the-heck-out-of-here mode not because the player doesn’t enjoy playing for the team that drafted him. The bottom-line truth right now is that Wilkerson has come to realization that the Jets aren’t going to pay him what he believes he’s worth, so he’s ready to move on to an organization willing to pony up the cash. You can’t blame him. If I were in his position, I’d want out, too."
The Jets purported unwillingness to pay Wilkerson surely doesn't come from a lack of production. He registered 64 tackles, 12 sacks and three forced fumbles in 2015, his second season with 10 or more sacks. Without question, he's an impact player on the defensive line.
May not be as expensive trade value wise as first stated but salary wise could be a biggie. Has to be worth it to pull the trigger. Not my expertise.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would any of Peppers, Sitton, Lang, Tretter, Shields, Datone, or Hyde have value and more importantly create cap space? Only Shields is signed past next season or two and in his case you'd have to be absolutely correct on the Randall / Rollins / Gunther triumverate. One year rental for a one year rental perhaps?

May not be as expensive trade value wise as first stated but salary wise could be a biggie. Has to be worth it to pull the trigger. Not my expertise.

Wilkerson wants to get paid and with the Packers having less than $5 million in cap space available for this season there's no way Thompson can pull off fitting him under the team's cap.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Purely theoretical and in no way do I advocate for this: See if the Jets will take a player or two and his salary as to help out the cap. I haven't seen that in the NFL yet.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
back to football? Damn, oh well. But yeah, the 27th pick for him? big deal, but I doubt the #27 pick does it in the first place and then you're looking at the salary. I guess if you think you have 2 cheap guards in the wings, are getting a good OLB to replace Peppers, Perry, Jones in a year, then maybe you can get it done? He'd make our linebackers better :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilkerson is well worth the #27 pick. The problem would be contract- he 'wants what he's worth'- and it will take a lot more than our 1st to get him. The combo of cap hit and draft pick compensation puts him out of reach, and even if doable, could open more holes than it fills.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's worth the pick, but yeah, I don't really see any way we could pay him.
It would take a lot of roster maneuvering... Peppers next year? Not an option anymore. Sitton/lang? Bye and bye. Then we start cutting...
It would have to be a defensive scheme change to justify. From 2-4 peppers/mathews, to 3-4 , just mathews. If capers wants to have a dline that opens up his lbs... Then wilkerson would do that.

I seen a video of that giant of a man counter juke 2 moves by a mobile qb, and chased him down like a damn cheetah. At 340 or what ever the hell he is, it was very very impressive.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I hijacked, I'll return back to topic.
From http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/03/nfl_rumors_what_is_muhammad_wilkerson_worth_in_a_t.html comes

From http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-latest-news-speculation-surrounding-jets-de comes:
and

12 sacks from a nt? And last year, how many of you witch hunted me for saying a nt should get 6? Just a quick reminder of some douschebaggery.... I am done:)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's a defensive end
Dang! I knew when i wrote it he might be de... Listed as dl not dt or de on espn roster. Regardless... I think the jets play 4-3 now? Is that true? I thought they were 3-4...

If i said i wanted a 6'4" 315 pound de. That has over 10 sacks a season...( which i basicly did) it was gonna get crazy again... :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Purely theoretical and in no way do I advocate for this: See if the Jets will take a player or two and his salary as to help out the cap. I haven't seen that in the NFL yet.

The Jets don't have the cap space to receive two veteran players in return for Wilkerson.

12 sacks from a nt? And last year, how many of you witch hunted me for saying a nt should get 6? Just a quick reminder of some douschebaggery.... I am done:)

The Jets NT, Damon Harrison, has a total of 1.5 sacks during his four-year career.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrison obviously didnt get the sacks. But as a nt, he surely opened the door for guys like wilkerson to get double digit sacks as a dlineman. Nts are the ones todestroy the middle, that causes the ripple effect through the whole defense...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts