1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Packers salary cap space?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by 98Redbird, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    I'm not sure where to find this, and I've been wondering where we are at right now as far as cap room. Does anyone know? I thought we were actually in the top half of the league as far as available cap space.

2. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,396
    well their isnt a salary cap this season so idk

3. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    Before the next season starts and offseason moves can be made there will be a new CBA and a salary cap thought right?

4. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Not 100% guaranteed it comes back, but more than likely it will. The union doesn't want a salary cap, but the owners do, and honestly, it's what's made the nfl so great. It's what's allowed any team in the NFL to become competitive, rather than go the way of baseball where only a couple of teams are competitive and are almost a lock to make the playoffs every year.

5. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,396
    yeah the cap makes signing and getting players require skill rather than just throw money at them like the yankees do

6. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    it seems to work for the redskins.... okay not so much

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    Until we have an idea where the cap will be we dont know what to expect but the teams are operating as if it will continue to be what it was before.

The team that this is the hardest for is the colts since they need to resign peyton manning.

8. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,396
    if peyton manning cared about the team he would resign at a reasonable salary like tom brady does so the colts can aquire good players

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    You should take as much money as you can, I would never trust a GM to wisely spend the money I didnt take. And if you say you will cut your salary but you want say in matters your pretty much another brett favre.

10. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,396
    if he really wanted another SB ring then he should ask for a good amount of money but not an amount that says im good and i know it and im just here for the cash

11. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    More often that not high profile players who get moved around, for money reasons, or other reasons, actually make a negative or no difference in the team.

For example:
    Randy Moss (Raiders, Vikings, Titans)
    TO (Eagles, Bills)
    Brian Westbrook (49ers)
    Jeremy Shockey (Saints)
    Donovan McNabb (Redskins)

Exceptions:
    LT (Jets)
    Anquan Boldin (Ravens)
    Randy Moss (makes both lists, for Pats)

Usually the players are high profile because they play well with the team that made them that way. Once they get traded, they oftentimes need an adjustment period, or they just never do.

12. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,396
    move TO to the second list too. when he joined the Eagles their offense was explosive and made the super bowl

13. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    At the end of last year, GB was wayyy under the cap. Most of the players are still on their orginal contracts.

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    we spent alot of money in upfront contracts this year. Im actually surprised more players werent paid upfront.

15. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I thought I'd update this thread for 2012. I just read on a pay site (no link) that the 2012 salary cap is $120.6M - less than a $300K increase from last season. However, and this is a significant "however", teams are allowed to roll unused cap space from last season. When the CBA agreement was announced I don't remember seeing a lot of attention paid to the fact the cap was relatively low last season and basically flat this seaon. I view that as a win for the owners but it isn't going to last long as I believe a big increase is due for the 2013 season as well as the implimentation of the provision that teams have to spend at least 95% of the cap.

According to the site, without the amount rolled over amount from 2011, the Packers would be slightly over the cap. With the roll over amount the Packers' adjusted cap is about $126M. Right now they're about $5.3M under the cap. But they could free up about $10.6M more by just releasing Clifton and Driver, which would be a good idea IMO whether or not they want to keep either or both.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
  17. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    We will get more cap room for the Deadskins and Cowpukes violating the salary cap.

18. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    due to Washington and Dallas being themselves, the Packers are 6.9 mill under the cap
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142365975.html

Washington lost 36 mill in cap room and Dallas lost 10 mill both due to dumping contracts into the uncapped year, after being warned not too.

19. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    That Dallas and Washington cap money will be distrbuted to other teams in the League.

20. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    yeah, about 1.6 million/team

21. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,061
    Ok...I'm readily admitting that I don't understand this... the new cap is $120 million per team and they can split it over 2 years as they see fit. So, let's say that the Redskins go 50/50 ... their cap number this year would be $102 million? Seems to me that they'd almost have to be over the cap already... how would they sign anyone?????

Figures it would be Snyder and Jones...two of the biggest twads in the league...

22. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Only we seem to have cap problems....maybe because we aren't cheating? ;)

23. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    Skins were around 36 million under the cap before they got smacked, they'll sign who they want then apply their cap hit between this year and next

24. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,061
    Sheesh... they were UNDER the cap... duh... you know, I completely missed that. Thank you for not pointing at me and laughing. :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    League has ruled that $18 million has to be applied to this year. Still it doesn't seem to stop them with their signings today.