Packers Safety Search: Three names i'll throw out there

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas DeCoud - Falcons http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11332/thomas-decoud
Rafael Bush - Saints http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13544/rafael-bush
Chris Clemons - Dolphins http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12645/chris-clemons

All Free Safeties

All of these guys remain unsigned. Any three of those guys would come relatively cheap and would look nice along side Burnett. Also, all three would be upgrades over MD. All three are also relatively young.

Bush's stats are that way because the Saints used three Safeties a lot last season. Bush always played that single high Safety in their defense, but the guy is actually a pretty solid player.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thomas DeCoud - Falcons http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11332/thomas-decoud
Chris Clemons - Dolphins http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12645/chris-clemons

All Free Safeties

All of these guys remain unsigned. Any three of those guys would come relatively cheap and would look nice along side Burnett. Also, all three would be upgrades over MD. All three are also relatively young.

Bush's stats are that way because the Saints used three Safeties a lot last season. Bush always played that single high Safety in their defense, but the guy is actually a pretty solid player.

I would prefer to sign Clemons, as I´ve said for quite some time before free agency started as he has been a solid starter at FS for quite some time. Bush would probably come cheaper, but I´m not sure he would be a big upgrade. DeCoud was awful last year, no thanks.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All Free Safeties

What is going on with Clemons? Why is he still hanging out there? I don't really like the idea of DeCoud, I don't know much about him but if an Atlanta fan is coming on these boards saying he isn't very good then I don't want him.

I would assume all 3 of these guys would come pretty cheap at this point.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Clemons = Yes indeed

The other two = Blah, no thanks. They would be nothing more than training camp names and be gone with the wind soon after.

D

Deleted member 6794

Texans have signed safety Chris Clemons to a two-year, $2.7 million deal with $450K guaranteed.

I really don 't understand why the Packers didn't offer him a similar contract when this is all it would have taken to sign him.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am SURE that Ted has SOMETHING up his sleeve. Maybe he is going to trade up in the draft to snag Dix? Either that, or the Packers knew something that WE and maybe the Texans didn't. Maybe drug problems, gun problems, gang affiliations? Who knows.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah TT knew none of those 3 is very good. He will draft a safety in the first 3 rounds
Calvin Pryor, Clinton Dix, Jimmie Ward, Terrence Brooks, Deone Buchannon being the most likely candidates.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Texans have signed safety Chris Clemons to a two-year, $2.7 million deal with $450K guaranteed.

I really don 't understand why the Packers didn't offer him a similar contract when this is all it would have taken to sign him.

This one I dont understand another mistake by TT this offseason, the other was EDS IMO.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This one I dont understand another mistake by TT this offseason, the other was EDS IMO.
Yeah that money is very very cheap.
Look at some of our guys who we have/are paying more than that.

He must have some red flags behind the scenes for Teddy to not think he would have made our team better.
I wonder what Capers thinks about that.....
Dom needs some veteran experience back there in the back end. Very important area. Can't just throw Jeron McMillians, MD Jennings and expect Burnett and him hold up consistently.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clemons is a free safety he more of a coverage safety than a box safety. Packers need a box safety because even though safeties are pretty interchangeable in capers 3-4 Burnett is better suited for free safety as he is more of a center field type. He was forced to play out of position last season because the box safety the coaching staff hoped to start McMillian couldn't cut it and Md Jennings is too small to fill the box role thus Burnett had to.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing to consider when criticizing free agents is that we don't always know that a signed FA would have accepted a similar deal to come to Green Bay.

I know we certainly feel like a player should be privileged to come here, with the history and mystique and titles we have. But not all free agents feel that way.

Some feel that way because of the cold, some because of the lack of nightlife, etc. On top of that, Florida and Texas, where EDS and Clemons signed, have no state income tax. Here in Wisconsin, they'll pay 7.65% on top of what they have to pay to the federal government. We'd like to think EDS would have taken the same contract that Tampa Bay gave him to stay here, but it's entirely possible that he may not have.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah TT knew none of those 3 is very good. He will draft a safety in the first 3 rounds
Calvin Pryor, Clinton Dix, Jimmie Ward, Terrence Brooks, Deone Buchannon being the most likely candidates.

There's also a guy who's kind of fallen off the radar who had a very good pro day, Dion Bailey. Bailey looked slow at the Combine but ran better at the pro day. He also got a bad rap as a tweener, but his coverage skills are good.

If he's there in at the end of the 3rd or in the 4th he could be a steal.

steffenmn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clemons is a free safety he more of a coverage safety than a box safety. Packers need a box safety because even though safeties are pretty interchangeable in capers 3-4 Burnett is better suited for free safety as he is more of a center field type. He was forced to play out of position last season because the box safety the coaching staff hoped to start McMillian couldn't cut it and Md Jennings is too small to fill the box role thus Burnett had to.

Now clemons signed with houston he's out of the quistion.
I just don't see why people have Burnett better suited as fs or ss, my opinion is he doesn't excel at either position, he looked good at ss when Collins had the fs, but now he can't tackle or cover, and is just one overpaid overrated average player.

Sendt fra min GT-I9195 med Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all I don't want Burnett to play at FS. And when you hear people taking about safeties being interchangeable that mostly means the guys you have $uck. Because when you have a great FS like Byrd or Thomas teams will be able to play with only one safety high and those guys don't get moved around.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One thing to consider when criticizing free agents is that we don't always know that a signed FA would have accepted a similar deal to come to Green Bay.
Agreed. But Byrd's deal was so modest I do wonder how much more it would have taken to sign him. BTW, the top income tax bracket in Wisconsin is 5.75%.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hmm. According to their website it is 7.65%.
Actually that was a typo on my part. I meant to type 7.75%, but you're right the top bracket was reduced from 7.75% to 7.65% last year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smh...Chris Clemons could if been had for basically donuts. Hyde will be the starting FS next yr there's no doubt in my mind anymore. The staff probably has already told him to add about 5 lbs of muscle to his playing weight. The 1st rd pick will not be a safety I pretty much count on it being either Ebron if he's there or a lb or DL. I am now. 100% off the safety bandwagon.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know we certainly feel like a player should be privileged to come here, with the history and mystique and titles we have. But not all free agents feel that way.

Some feel that way because of the cold, some because of the lack of nightlife, etc. On top of that, Florida and Texas, where EDS and Clemons signed, have no state income tax. Here in Wisconsin, they'll pay 7.65% on top of what they have to pay to the federal government. We'd like to think EDS would have taken the same contract that Tampa Bay gave him to stay here, but it's entirely possible that he may not have.

Well, that 's true on one hand but on the other hand the taxes Clemons would have had to pay in Wisconsin would have resulted in only another $200K. Not enough for a deal breaker to me, meaning I would have been fine with the Packers offering him $3M for two years.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that 's true on one hand but on the other hand the taxes Clemons would have had to pay in Wisconsin would have resulted in only another $200K. Not enough for a deal breaker to me, meaning I would have been fine with the Packers offering him $3M for two years.

Yeah if that's the only factor, but sometimes they just want to play where the weather is nice.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smh...Chris Clemons could if been had for basically donuts. Hyde will be the starting FS next yr there's no doubt in my mind anymore. The staff probably has already told him to add about 5 lbs of muscle to his playing weight. The 1st rd pick will not be a safety I pretty much count on it being either Ebron if he's there or a lb or DL. I am now. 100% off the safety bandwagon.

I agree with this. Since we didnt sign a Safety, I guess TT and company are either happy with what we have, or didnt see anyone worth signing....who knows.

So since they were not aggressive with signing a Safety in FA, I'd venture a guess that we'll go BPA at 21 no matter what the position is (besides QB or RB) So I could potentially see any of the other positions drafted now. I think our pick at 21 is wide open and anyone's guess.

I also wont be shocked if we traded back and gained an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

To be honest, at this point, I'd really like to see us sign Thomas DeCoud on the cheap. You never know, that guy was a pro bowler in 2012 and his play dropped off in 2013 (nagging injury?) and he is also young still.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. But Byrd's deal was so modest I do wonder how much more it would have taken to sign him. BTW, the top income tax bracket in Wisconsin is 5.75%.

Byrd's deal was 6 years, $54 million, $28 million guaranteed. When I compare that to Shields' 4 years, $39 million, @12.5 million guaranteed (did I get these figures right?), Byrd's is certainly more of an investment, since Shields could be restructured after 2015.

So figure that if the Packers had been aggressive and offered Byrd e.g. 6 years, $60 million and not signed Julius Peppers, that would have been a near-wash out for next year's hit against the salary cap when Bulaga, Jordy and Cobb come up for re-signing. After that, Byrd would have counted, say, $ 10 million against the cap for 2015 and 2016.

Would I rather have Byrd and that contract rather than Peppers and his, given a choice? I think I would. If the coaching staff is going with Hyde as FS they're taking too big a risk IMO. What if Burnett doesn't return to his old self? What if Hyde is merely passable? It almost seems as if the Packers are relying on improving the front 7 as a priority. If so, they better draft a helluva ILB/OLB or both, unless they want to put their faith in Perry.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he hasn't signed Decoud at this point I don't see it happening. I see him taking Ebron,Mosley, or The Notre dame NT. Then the second rd depending on if he takes Mosley will probably be Borland or another ilb. We probably won't see a safety drafted until the fourth rd as I anticipate him taking a wr in the third.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a hard time seeing state income tax being anything but a secondary consideration in a free agent's decision to come to Green Bay.

State income tax is levied by the state where the games are played, so the Wisconsin affect is effectively cut in half, amounting to about 4%. That's about $400,000 in additional tax against $10 million in salary playing in Green Bay vs. a zero tax state.

It's not as though teams in high tax states like California, New York or Massachusetts seem to have much trouble competing for free agents. Conversely, if state tax were a critical factor, everybody would be clamoring to play in the AFC South where TEN, JAX and HOU are guaranteed at least 10 tax free games per season.

And, after all, only 6 of the 32 teams play in states where there is no income tax or where salary income is exempt from state income tax. That's only about 1/5 of the demand.

Cold weather, limited local endorsement opportunities and small market culture combined are at least as important as income tax considerations.

Latest posts