Packers roster moves

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who are all the different defensive lineman who be considered busts? Obviously Harrell and Worthy. When was Mike Montgomery drafted? I guess Jones and Neal could be considered busts as well since they had to switch positions. Although if Jones can move inside on passing situations and play OLB on run downs I won't see him as a bust. I am sure I am missing more. Not a great track record.

Never said there was, I was in essence agreeing with you guys. Man some people get a little touchy :D

I'd not in a million years consider Neal a bust, he was a solid pick up to be still playing and starting.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said there was, I was in essence agreeing with you guys. Man some people get a little touchy :D

I'd not in a million years consider Neal a bust, he was a solid pick up to be still playing and starting.

I am not trying to be touchy. I am legitimately asking for a history of tt's defensive line picks

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not trying to be touchy. I am legitimately asking for a history of tt's defensive line picks

Ones that were good or panned out would be Raji, Daniels and Neal. Other maybes or egh types are Pennel (UDFA) and perhaps there are some others.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy answer - http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1800&type=team

Easier answer
2015 - Ringo - 6th round
2014 - Thornton -3
2013 - Jones - 1; Boyd - 5
2012 - Perry - 1; Worthy - 2; Daniels - 4
2011 - Guy - 7
2010 - Neal - 2; Wilson - 7
2009 and before - see Easy Answer, above

Thanks for doing the search for me. Interesting to see how few defensive lineman have even been drafted. From 2010-2015 only 6 in the first 4 rounds. Although Perry really wasnt a defensive lineman. He was drafted as an OLB so really only 5 dl over 6 years in the first 4 rounds. 2 of those 5 are now OLB. Leaving only Daniels, Worthy, and Thornton. Worthy and Thornton didnt even make it 2 years. Ouch

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vujnovich being cut surprised me too. They put a lot of work in on him and he always had good feet. Still, in the preseason last year he was on roller skates a few times against 2nd and third stringers, so maybe he just couldn't get his strength up to par.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Vujnovich being cut surprised me too. They put a lot of work in on him and he always had good feet. Still, in the preseason last year he was on roller skates a few times against 2nd and third stringers, so maybe he just couldn't get his strength up to par.

Vujnovich never made the active roster with the Packers spending the last two seasons on the practice squad. With the team drafting Spriggs and Murphy I don't consider releasing him as a surprise.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vujnovich never made the active roster with the Packers spending the last two seasons on the practice squad. With the team drafting Spriggs and Murphy I don't consider releasing him as a surprise.
Shows the difference in offensive line talent between GB & Indy, though... Vujnovich signed by Indy today. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything I've read about Vujnovich was that if he could get stronger he could really be a good tackle. It's easier to find big strong guys like Murphy than big guys with good feet like Vujnovich, but he just couldn't deal with the strength of the guys in the preseason (based on my viewing, at least). Whenever one of these high upside projects fails and they bring in a low ceiling, low basement guy like Murphy, it's kinda sad IMO.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Everything I've read about Vujnovich was that if he could get stronger he could really be a good tackle. It's easier to find big strong guys like Murphy than big guys with good feet like Vujnovich, but he just couldn't deal with the strength of the guys in the preseason (based on my viewing, at least). Whenever one of these high upside projects fails and they bring in a low ceiling, low basement guy like Murphy, it's kinda sad IMO.

Completely disagree with your evaluation of Murphy. There's no doubt he needs to get stronger but after the top tackles in this year's draft no one has a higher floor than him. It's possible the Packers got a huge steal selecting him in the sixth round.

H

HardRightEdge

Vujnovich did 35 lifts at his Pro Day. Strength does not appear to be the issue so much as being able to apply it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy indeed has a very high ceiling. All his 'flaws' are coachable, and he can play G and T on both sides. Don't be surprised if this kid ends up being a very good starter for us for a long time.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am surprised by Boyd and Vujnovic. Boyd was a contributor who kept his nose clean. If I was Ted I would be leery of releasing ANY OL until the unit was fixed. I know many fans believe it's ONLY LT that is the problem, but I think there is an interior problem, so cutting any OL is just about as smart as slamming your head into a wall to cure a hangover.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Vujnovich was NOT part of "fixing" the OL... they had him & saw him train, practice & play for 2 years. Give someone with a possible chance to help the roster spot and give Vuj a chance to catch on somewhere else. Win-win.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I am surprised by Boyd and Vujnovic. Boyd was a contributor who kept his nose clean. If I was Ted I would be leery of releasing ANY OL until the unit was fixed. I know many fans believe it's ONLY LT that is the problem, but I think there is an interior problem, so cutting any OL is just about as smart as slamming your head into a wall to cure a hangover.

It's possible Boyd failed a physical because of the ankle injury he suffered last season and was therefore released.

The Packers currently have 12 offensive linemen on the roster who either have made the active roster in the past, were drafted this season or got their salary raised to stay on the practice squad. Vujnovich was at best 13th on the OL depth chart, no big deal releasing him.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity who's the issue on the interior? Our Guards are one of the best duos in the league and Taylor isnt a horrible backup, even if he is over payed, and having Lynsley at Center with Tretter backing him up seems like one of the better situations out there.

I'm really not seeing the cinema with the interior part of the O Line

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Just out of curiosity who's the issue on the interior? Our Guards are one of the best duos in the league and Taylor isnt a horrible backup, even if he is over payed, and having Lynsley at Center with Tretter backing him up seems like one of the better situations out there.

I'm really not seeing the cinema with the interior part of the O Line

I guess he was talking about next offseason when Sitton, Lang and Tretter are set to become free agents.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess he was talking about next offseason when Sitton, Lang and Tretter are set to become free agents.
That's fair then but it shouldn't have all that much effect on who stays on the roster this season unless we're talking about potential PS guys to potentially groom as there's only so many O lineman spots available on the 53 and most are allready taken

Latest posts