Packers roster moves

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I just get a sense they will try to keep Tretter and fit him somewhere...cheaper option with a "proven" guy.

Well, Tretter is best suited to play center but with him losing his starting job at the position to Linsley I don´t see him sticking around with the Packers. It seems like the team is counting on Taylor and maybe Rotheram to fill in at guard for either Sitton or Lang starting in 2017.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Tretter is best suited to play center but with him losing his starting job at the position to Linsley I don´t see him sticking around with the Packers. It seems like the team is counting on Taylor and maybe Rotheram to fill in at guard for either Sitton or Lang starting in 2017.

Then they would be wise to keep all options open.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur Tretter is a center...my bet is TT will tell him this is what we want and what we'd give....go see if you can find a better offer to you. I think his market will all depend on injuries and retirements on other teams. Someone takes a chance on paying him to come play center he is gone most likely...but I think TT and co will try harder than we think to keep him depending on other OL developments.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I concur Tretter is a center...my bet is TT will tell him this is what we want and what we'd give....go see if you can find a better offer to you. I think his market will all depend on injuries and retirements on other teams. Someone takes a chance on paying him to come play center he is gone most likely...but I think TT and co will try harder than we think to keep him depending on other OL developments.

I expect the Packers to make Tretter an offer to re-sign with the team as well. Most likely there will be at least one other team offering him more money to start at center for them.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect the Packers to make Tretter an offer to re-sign with the team as well. Most likely there will be at least one other team offering him more money to start at center for them.

Not just money, but more opportunity to start/play will come from other teams.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's blowing smoke, he was primed to be our center in 2014. Prior to that he was primed to be a guard in 2013. Prior to that he was Left Tackle in college. The guy has barely played, mostly filled in at times, and started 3 games. If we resign him, he goes back to guard. Hard to believe he gets resigned to backup as a center

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That's blowing smoke, he was primed to be our center in 2014. Prior to that he was primed to be a guard in 2013. Prior to that he was Left Tackle in college. The guy has barely played, mostly filled in at times, and started 3 games. If we resign him, he goes back to guard. Hard to believe he gets resigned to backup as a center

The Packers never planned on using Tretter as a guard coming out of college. He was the front runner to start at center before breaking his ankle during OTAs.

In 2014 he was once again supposed to start at center before suffering a knee injury in training camp and losing his job to Linsley.

Way to go making things up to somehow look credible.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tretter was NEVER looked at as a Guard by the Packers. He was always looked at as the Center of the future untill Lynsley nabbed that distinction when Tretter got hurt for the 2nd time but he was always viewed as a Center.

There is no going back to Guard as that was never the plan the orginzation had for him.

H

HardRightEdge

As I've commented several times in the past, Tretter will have more value as a center in somebody else's zone blocking scheme than he will with the Packers. I don't see him as more than backup quality at guard, and OT potential is now out of the question.

There is a further indication of the handwriting on the wall, as the Packers are already exploring backup C options for 2017:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...d-season/9c540ddc-c476-4c35-b18f-03b9fb636b9a

If they like what they see in Rotheram's practices at C, they'll stash him on the PS again as a 2017 C/G backup option or carry him on the roster if they go with a high O-Line count. Keep in mind Barclay is still on this roster.

If he gets snaps in preseason at C, you can then close the book on Tretter. Come to think of it, if Rotheram comports himself well, a long shot possibility would a Tretter trade to a team that loses a C to injury if it happens far enough in advance of opening day for him to get acclimated.

I think he'd make somebody an adequate-or-better zone blocking center at a very reasonable cost, with "very reasonable cost" not being something we can say very often in the NFL these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That's how I felt before they re-signed him. Now I'm not so sure.

Well, the Packers re-signed him before drafting Spriggs and Murphy. I don't see the team keeping five offensive linemen best suited to play tackle on the final roster.

H

HardRightEdge

With the Packers having drafted Spriggs and Murphy I highly doubt that Barclay will make the final roster.
Besides that being a side note to the main point, whether Barkley will or won't was not being argued.

The point was that however small the possibility of Rotheram being considered for the roster, Barclay still needs to be considered as a competitive option.

While conventional wisdom has 9 OL spots already filled, a heavy number that is reasonable giving the impending free agent class, you might consider why, perhaps, Barclay is still around. Here are a few possibilities:

1) An OG spot may open up due to injury before final cut downs, with Barclay perhaps percieved as a more appealing option than Rotheram for 2016.

Theoretically, he can back up at RT as well. Sometimes guys take a second season before showing they're over an ACL. In fact, if the Packers are confident he's returned to the level of play when he took over for Bulaga pre-injury, he'd have to be given consideration if Murphy does not work out (see comment below). I'm sure the Packers would want to see if that's the case particularly with no other likely candidate for the RT backup spot other than rookies. Spriggs has to focus on polishing his LT skills since he'll be expected to be ready to start there in 2017. That leaves Murphy or Barclay.

2) Murphy could turn out not to be all that. Since when do Packer 6th. round picks live up to the abundant post draft optimism? He wouldn't be the first 6th. round pick to end up on the practice squad, Ringo being one example. The guy has work to do. Maybe more than you think.

3) To reiterate, of all the possible trade rumors that could be floated, the one that makes the most sense would be Tretter, assuming confidence is gained in Rotheram as a backup C. Rarely do you see as wide a spread between what a player is worth to the Packers vs. his value to somebody else than you see with Tretter. Such a trade would argue for Rotheram over Barclay, which takes us back to points 1) and 2) as possibilities for him.

It would be foolish to actually predict a specific trade, but if one was inclined to speculate about one in particular at this juncture, trading Tretter would it.

H

HardRightEdge

In looking over past 6th. round picks, it occurrs to me now that the last OL taken in the 6th round of the draft was Caleb Schlauderaff in 2011, who was summarily traded to the Jets a week before opening day of his rookie season. Schlauderaff played in 6 games as a Jet rookie with one start. I don't recall the circumstances, but it would seem the Jets found themselves short-handed.

This is not to suggest that Murphy will be traded. But it does illustrate that a Tretter trade is not as far fetched as one might think.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Tretter was NEVER looked at as a Guard by the Packers. He was always looked at as the Center of the future untill Lynsley nabbed that distinction when Tretter got hurt for the 2nd time but he was always viewed as a Center
Not on this board. When Tretter was drafted, most here assumed he was going to play tackle.

I think there are all sorts of possible scenarios that could play out since it would appear at this time that there are at least 10 O-linemen in play potentially and it is highly unlikely that we'd have 10 on the final 53 man roster.

I for one will be giggling if I start to see a rash of NFL o-linemen getting hurt in camp and pre-season games.

Last edited:

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers never planned on using Tretter as a guard coming out of college. He was the front runner to start at center before breaking his ankle during OTAs.

In 2014 he was once again supposed to start at center before suffering a knee injury in training camp and losing his job to Linsley.

Way to go making things up to somehow look credible.

Haha, it is, I just didn't say ALL FACTS.

Though I'm not fully recollecting all my facts from 2014, foggy year for me due to a great personal tragedy of mine, I lost my interest in watching most of that season. I remember him being groomed as a center, I remember packers drafting a center. I remember Tretter going down and Linsley taking it over. Beyond that, the guy has played games, not all at center, in fact i think he filled in at LT once. Either way, he wouldn't make any sense to resign if he is resigned as a backup center.

I remember the praise he got the year he was supposed to take over as a center post D-S's time with us. Then, crap happened and the Rook took over. These are all credible, CaptainWIMM, but don't worry...you can ignore and move on bc u will.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible Boyd failed a physical because of the ankle injury he suffered last season and was therefore released.

The Packers currently have 12 offensive linemen on the roster who either have made the active roster in the past, were drafted this season or got their salary raised to stay on the practice squad. Vujnovich was at best 13th on the OL depth chart, no big deal releasing him.

I couldn't tell you. But I have seen over the last two years interior D-Lineman coming right over Linsley or through Lang, and occassionally Sitton as well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

But I have seen over the last two years interior D-Lineman coming right over Linsley or through Lang, and occassionally Sitton as well.

Of course it happens from time to time but overall the starters on the Packers offensive line have formed one of the best pass blocking units in the league. Last season the problem was a lack of serviceable backups once injuries hit.

Members online

Latest posts