Packers roster moves

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers signed TE Casey Pierce and rookie free agents DT Demetris Anderson, RB Brandon Burks, FB Alstevis Squirewell, G Cory Tucker.

In addition the team released DT Josh Boyd, DT William Campbell, TE David Grinnage, WR Dennis Parks and OT Jeremy Vujnovich

H

HardRightEdge

Probably a cap space move, as well.
Boyd's cap savings is $675,000 with a modest $31,000 in dead cap factored in.

If they replace him with a minimum salary rookie ($525,000), the cap savings is whopping $150,000.

I doubt that factored into the equation.

After 3 seasons, the conclusion to be drawn is that his progression stalled below "serviceable". Just a guy. Time to move on.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The optimist in me wants to believe it is bc the rookies looked good. The realist says it is because Boyd is bad

I don't think the performance of the rookies during the orientation camp prompted the Packers to release Boyd. Either the front office realized he's not good enough to justify being on the roster or he failed a physical because of the broken ankle he suffered in 2015.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Potentially good news for Christian Ringo.

Even with the two rookie draft choices factored in, GB is mighty thin on the D-line.

There will most likely be two roster spots up for grab on the defensive line to start the season with Pennel being suspended. Fortunately Peppers and Jones can move inside on passing downs.

H

HardRightEdge

Potentially good news for Christian Ringo.

Even with the two rookie draft choices factored in, GB is mighty thin on the D-line.
Cohen did a nice piece on Ringo in February:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...rs-players-coaches-b99668622z1-368798461.html

Evidently, he's a "Packer guy": coachable, works hard, stays out of trouble.

Talk can be cheap, so it's notable the Packers bumped his pay in November to fend off a contract offer that would have put him on a 53 man roster. His weekly pay after the bump was an annualized $409,000, so he took less money to stay.

To digress, Ringo summarized well the rookie experience:

"This league right here is a different beast, man. Whatever you did in college, just go and erase it now because it doesn't matter. Just come in ready and just focus. Get everything in your outside life together because you're going to need 100% focus."

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Talk can be cheap, so it's notable the Packers bumped his pay in November to fend off a contract offer that would have put him on a 53 man roster. His weekly pay after the bump was an annualized $409,000, so he took less money to stay.

Ringo got paid $25,588 per week for the last eight weeks of the season which was exactly the rookie minimum last season.

H

HardRightEdge

There will most likely be two roster spots up for grab on th e defensive line to start the season with Pennel being suspended. Fortunately Peppers and Jones can move inside on passing downs.
Guion, Clark, Daniels. Add Ringo as a default choice at this early juncture.

There may be only one open spot pending Pennel's return. Lowry's the only drafted player in the hunt for that spot.

Carrying 5 DTs temporarily is not unusual. The Packers opened 2015 with 5, which included Boyd and Gaston, while Jones and Guion were on suspensions. The 6th. does not typically make the 45 man game day roster, and even if he does because of injury he typically doesn't get many snaps. It seems to me they've carried 5 for extended stretches at times. They won a Super Bowl with 4 even after bringing Howard Green at the 11th. hour to cover for injuries.

With the high % of nickel/dime snaps, and Peppers/Jones getting spot snaps inside as you say, the need for 6 is not obvious.

H

HardRightEdge

Ringo got paid $25,588 per week for the last eight weeks of the season which was exactly the rookie minimum last season.
Here's my math:

$25,588 x 16 = $409, 408 annualized, which was less than the rookie minimum.

On second thought, the proration may include the bye week ($25,588 x 17 = $434,996) which was the rookie minimum equivalent.

In that case, Ringo chose a practice squad over a 53 man roster which is one step closer to actually playing. That says something, in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many weeks would the other team have paid him the rookie minimum? What would the math have been?

H

HardRightEdge

Boyd's cap savings is $675,000 with a modest $31,000 in dead cap factored in.

If they replace him with a minimum salary rookie ($525,000), the cap savings is whopping $150,000.

I doubt that factored into the equation.

After 3 seasons, the conclusion to be drawn is that his progression stalled below "serviceable". Just a guy. Time to move on.
Actually, the rookie minimum is $450,00, not $525,000, for a savings of $225,000. Still not a factor. Not even 1/500th of the $155 mil cap in savings.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Here's my math:

$25,588 x 16 = $409, 408 annualized, which was less than the rookie minimum.

On second thought, the proration may include the bye week ($25,588 x 17 = $434.996) that would be a rookie minimum equivalent.

In that case, Ringo chose a practice squad over a 53 man roster which is one step closer to actually playing. That says something, in any case.

You're right, the bye week is included as players get paid 17 weeks a season.

How many weeks would the other team have paid him the rookie minimum? What would the math have been?

I guess another team wanted to sign Ringo in week 10, that's why the Packers increased his salary at that point.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Guion, Clark, Daniels. Add Ringo as a default choice at this early juncture.

There may be only one open spot pending Pennel's return. Lowry's the only drafted player in the hunt for that spot.

Carrying 5 DTs temporarily is not unusual. The Packers opened 2015 with 5, which included Boyd and Gaston, while Jones and Guion were on suspensions. The 6th. does not typically make the 45 man game day roster, and even if he does because of injury he typically doesn't get many snaps. It seems to me they've carried 5 for extended stretches at times. They won a Super Bowl with 4 even after bringing Howard Green at the 11th. hour to cover for injuries.

With the high % of nickel/dime snaps, and Peppers/Jones getting spot snaps inside as you say, the need for 6 is not obvious.

Lowry and Ringo are the front runner to open fourth and fifth on the depth chart on the defensive line but none of them is a lock to make the team. That´s why I expect two spots being up for grabs.

Actually, the rookie minimum is $450,00, not $525,000, for a savings of $225,000. Still not a factor. Not even 1/500th of the $155 mil cap in savings.

While that´s true the Packers currently have 52 players on their roster counting at least $525,000 towards the cap with Trevor Davis being ranked 53rd at $506,794.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a few articles. It sounds like Boyd failed his physical and that his broken ankle and ligament tears were worse than originally thought. For a 5th round pick that was a situational backup, you'd better be 100% healthy to stay on the roster. Otherwise you're just a waste of space and money.

I had been interested in seeing how Jeremy Vujnovich developed. Now that that experiment is over, I can go back to fishing.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers signed TE Casey Pierce and rookie free agents DT Demetris Anderson, RB Brandon Burks, FB Alstevis Squirewell, G Cory Tucker.

In addition the team released DT Josh Boyd, DT William Campbell, TE David Grinnage, WR Dennis Parks and OT Jeremy Vujnovich

The Dennis Parks era is over.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the performance of the rookies during the orientation camp prompted the Packers to release Boyd. Either the front office realized he's not good enough to justify being on the roster or he failed a physical because of the broken ankle he suffered in 2015.
I know people here said Boyd's ankle wasnt that bad, and he'd be ready for the season. But He was crying leaving the field. That to me seems like he knew it was bad.... I liked Boyd a lot, and thought he was going to be a keeper. So im chalking this one up to injury...

Bummer.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Raji...and hopefully Clark.
Who are all the different defensive lineman who be considered busts? Obviously Harrell and Worthy. When was Mike Montgomery drafted? I guess Jones and Neal could be considered busts as well since they had to switch positions. Although if Jones can move inside on passing situations and play OLB on run downs I won't see him as a bust. I am sure I am missing more. Not a great track record.

Members online

Latest posts