Packers release Peter Mortell

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

It seems like the Packers have decided to continue with Tim Masthay as the team's punter.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nooooooo!!!!!

Good luck Pete. You'll be in the NFL this year one way or another.

My reaction is 1/3rd about my dislike for Masthay's play last season, 1/3rd about my like of Mortell (I'm a Gopher fan), and 1/3rd about salary cap looking ahead to next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he won the competition , I guess he won, but man I was hoping he'd be replaced.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As I mentioned before hang time might have decided this competition. Masthay's 46 punts vs. rush in practice had average hang time of 4.43, Mortell's 43 had 4.04. In games Masthay's 9 averaged 4.37, Mortell's 9 4.08.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say if masthay struggles they could give him a ring I think continuity and the holder spot was important as well tho

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know gb is thin on dline knighton just got released could be a Pickett type pick up if they are happy after the 4th game and Pennel serving a suspension

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Masthay's average hang time in 2015 was only 4.11, so not much difference between that and Mortell's 4.04. If Masthay actually continues with 4.43 into the season.....inbounds, the I'll be content.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
:mad: :confused: :eek: :poop: :tdown: :oops: :( :cautious: :sick: :speechless: Maybe in the 2017 draft we will actually see Ted get serious about addressing a serious need at the Punter position. Until then, all we can hope for is the Packers offense keeping Masthay on the sidelines.

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about your hang time in practice when you shank 1-2 punts every game in the 2nd half of the season. His leg is fine when he hits it right but his mental focus or hand eye coordination are lacking at times and it results in a ball that goes 18 yards forward and 40 yards sideways.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MM said in today's press conference that it was important for Masthay to have a good week of practice. I don't think his job is completely safe yet.
No job is ever safe, but cutting Mortell at this point feels like even if Masthay stinks the place up on Thursday, it won't be Mortell coming in to replace him. I would love to hear the viewpoints of TT and the coaches as to why they are settling for a worse then average NFL punter. Seems like the excuse of "he holds well for Crosby and we don't want to mess with that" is gone. Masthay must be one heck of a liked guy with the players and staff, because every time he trots onto the field, I expect mediocrity and he usually delivers just that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

MM said in today's press conference that it was important for Masthay to have a good
week of practice. I don't think his job is completely safe yet.

I don't expect a veteran punter that would be an upgrade over Masthay to be available after roster cutdowns.

I don't care about your hang time in practice when you shank 1-2 punts every game in the 2nd half of the season. His leg is fine when he hits it right but his mental focus or hand eye coordination are lacking at times and it results in a ball that goes 18 yards forward and 40 yards sideways.

Unfortunately Mortell shanked too many punts in practice as well.

Members online

Latest posts